Old 09-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

My television set is driving me bonkers: A Lip Sync Tragedy.

Visio. Maybe.....8 years old? More? Works like a champ. But it's had this problem, and it comes and goes. I can NOT get the sound to sync up with the picture.

There is, of course, a menu setting with a slide bar. Most of the time it holds very well, or so well I cannot notice a problem.

Now? My god. It's supremely annoying. I did re-set the Auto-Select Channel menu in the set, hoping this would do the trick. Nothing.

Thoughts?

Oh, I'm not on cable. We get our t.v. through the air using a digital antenna.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:22 PM

Not a factual answer, but I experience this from time to time. My TV is only a couple of years old (samsung). In fact I've noticed it on a variety of different TVs recently. I think it's a broadcasting problem of some sort with syncing the video and audio signals
ETA I too get my television OTA

Last edited by DorkVader; 09-10-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 PM

And you don't have a DVR, a soundbar, or an A/V receiver in your setup?

Unplug the TV from the power outlet, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
Visio. Maybe.....8 years old? More? Works like a champ. But it's had this problem, and it comes and goes. I can NOT get the sound to sync up with the picture.

There is, of course, a menu setting with a slide bar. Most of the time it holds very well, or so well I cannot notice a problem.

Now? My god. It's supremely annoying. I did re-set the Auto-Select Channel menu in the set, hoping this would do the trick. Nothing.

Thoughts?

Oh, I'm not on cable. We get our t.v. through the air using a digital antenna.
I have an HDMI receiver and sometimes when this happens, which is not often, if I power cycle it, it returns to normal. But I have noticed in this receiver there was an adjustment to fix lip sync issues.

What are you using for audio? You might be able to factory reset it.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 AM

The problem is Visio. We just moved and have a new provider. Our old Visio had been working fine for years but the new, faster service gave us bad syncing problems.

First thing, set your audio to ďgameĒ. That fixed ours for a while. Ultimately we dug out an old TV we used for movies. That fixed it.

Googling shows that this is a common problem for Visio.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:49 AM

(Sorry, Vizio not Visio. Autocorrected and I didn’t catch it.)

Anyway, here’s a video that helped me:

https://youtu.be/I5WYqTrtunI
Old 09-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Iíll try the tip regarding PCM offered in that video.
However, in my case ( unlike the situation in the video ), my audio doesnít lead the video. It lags behind it.
That said, Iíll try the fixes and will report back.

I wasnít concise on my set-up.

1. Through the Air antenna.
2. Into TDA Digital Channel selector, so that I can use a Hard Drive - kinda low rent DVR. Works for any channel I get through the air.
3. HDMI Out from Hard Drive to Vizio.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
my audio doesnít lead the video. It lags behind it.
Light travels faster than sound, and this creates a noticeable gap with enough distance. How many miles from the TV are you?

Old 09-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Light travels faster than sound, and this creates a noticeable gap with enough distance. How many miles from the TV are you?

I'm glad you asked!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I wasnít concise on my set-up.

2. Into TDA Digital Channel selector, so that I can use a Hard Drive - kinda low rent DVR. Works for any channel I get through the air.
Add the TDA to the ambiguity group. What if you use the antenna directly into the TV?

Probably changes too much, but if it doesn't clear the issue you can be pretty sure it isn't the TDA
Old 09-11-2019, 04:19 PM

I thought this was going to be about watching a rerun of Ashlee Simpson.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you asked!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Well there's your problem! Set p to sqrt-1 and Robert's your Mother's Brother!

Are here any updates to your tv? ie firmware? That may also be a factor. You may want to swap your hdmi cable (if you have a spare) as well. They have been known to do some really odd things.

Last edited by swampspruce; 09-11-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Well there's your problem! Set p to sqrt-1 and Robert's your Mother's Brother!
Oh, this'll teach ME to try that crap with a ringer !!!

Quote:
Are here any updates to your tv? ie firmware? That may also be a factor. You may want to swap your hdmi cable (if you have a spare) as well. They have been known to do some really odd things.
It's not a Smart T.V. I would never own one. Or if I did, it would remain an orphan. No Internet, no microphone activated, nothing. So no firmware to update. Will try the HDMI cable if the Menu choices fail.

About to try, will leave this reply open ! BRB !!

Audio Modes: Flat, Rock, Pop, Classical, Jazz
No GAMING. Hmmm.

Power cycling did seem to be my friend, however.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
It's not a Smart T.V. I would never own one. Or if I did, it would remain an orphan. No Internet, no microphone activated, nothing. So no firmware to update.
It doesn't have to be a smart TV to have firmware. If it's new enough to have HDMI input, it's new enough to have firmware that can be updated.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
... my set-up.

Digital TVs often have video processing delays. This is usually worse if certain features are enabled such as smooth motion, noise reduction, etc. As an experiment go into your menus and try turning these off.

However if using local audio out of the TV speakers, usually the TV knows the video delay and will delay audio to match. The problem usually comes from using a sound bar or external audio.

The TDA introduces an uncertainty. One test is try bypassing that and see if the problem goes away.

Starting with HDMI 1.3b, there was a protocol includes lip sync compensation, but this was a fixed delay. During the EDID connection handshake between display and HDMI source, the display tells the source (say an A/V receiver or DVD player) how many milliseconds its video processing takes and the source is supposed to delay the audio to match this. In a chain of equipment sometimes the power on sequence affects this. Try powering on the TV and TDA in a different order.

The HDMI lip sync compensation was improved with HDMI version 2.0 to include dynamic varying lip sync compensation, but this would require all connected devices to be HDMI 2.0 and support this feature.

However the TDA sounds like a combined A/V processor so it should be either passing A/V straight through or if it injects video latency should be delaying its audio to match before exporting the HDMI output. If the TDA audio is not connected via HDMI but Toslink or some other method that could also complicate things.

In most cases the video lags audio due to video latency in the display. If you are seeing the opposite that implies the TDA is probably doing that.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I have a Vizio and I have the same problem. It's most noticeable during commercials.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:54 PM

Run through this checklist and see if it helps. I would also check Vizio's website and see if there is a firmware update for your model.