Old 09-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Super-Talented Not Appreciated

Movies, music, comedy, etc.. Someone who could have been on top, but for whatever reason, people stopped paying attention to them, even though they are just as talented, and/or still releasing material that is just as good as it was before. Or it could be someone like Van Gogh. Or it could be someone who has a cult audience, and you're thinking, "If this person was given a chance for a huge audience, they'd be so popular and respected"
Old 09-10-2019, 01:58 PM

I think this happens quite a bit to talented guitarists. Either they can't sing and try to, or they hook up with a singer that doesn't pair well with their playing. They are recognized for their amazing musicianship, but don't seem to ever have hit songs or become A list stars.
Two examples are Yngwe Malmstein and Joe Satriani.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:33 PM

I doubt many people know who Clu Gulager is but his work often made me sit up and go "Heyyy...I like what you're doing there".
Old 09-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
I think this happens quite a bit to talented guitarists. Either they can't sing and try to, or they hook up with a singer that doesn't pair well with their playing. They are recognized for their amazing musicianship, but don't seem to ever have hit songs or become A list stars.
I'll give you a better example, since both of those people are well known and have a huge number of fans: Luke Jaeger.

Mr. Jaeger writes and records under the band name Sleep Terror. HIs first EP and full-length were written and recorded solely by Mr. Jaeger, but his last two albums have featured a very talented drummer. All other instruments are played by Mr. Jaeger; there are no vocals on any Sleep Terror tune.

The music is mix of surf, flamenco, jazz and technical death metal, all done with impeccable taste and flair. AFAIK, his only outlet or sales is thru Bandcamp. My favorite of his output so far is El Insomne.

———

Another favorite of mine is a guy named Andrew Falkous who records under the moniker Christian Fitness. His songs are catchy, quirky and fun. The style is as if Gang of Four were having a really good, happy day and decided to call in John Cooper Clarke to write lyrics and do vocals for them. AFAIK, he also primarily sells his work on Bandcamp. My favorite of his six albums is Slap Bass Hunks.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-10-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino
Old 09-10-2019, 04:58 PM

I don't know why Jeremy Jordan isn't a hundred times more famous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TppJMa8apkc
Old 09-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Add Roy Buchanan and Steve Vai.

The problem is yhat though their technique is masterful, there are flaws in their game that limits them. You can only go so far on technique alone. Jimi Hendrix was also a masterful guitar player, but he was also a great singer who could write a memorable song (and knew when technique was not enough).
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 09-10-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

John Fullbright Fat Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj141rdReMM

Fullbright Satan And St. Paul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5teMqHsThI
Old 09-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Musically, there's this fella named Chris Smither that (almost) no one knows about. Boy, he's good! And good news: Now you all know!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mKCydD8no
Old 09-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Musically, there's this fella named Chris Smither that (almost) no one knows about. Boy, he's good! And good news: Now you all know!
Long time fan of Chris Smither here!. I'm going to see him (for about the 5th time) next week.

I'll add David Lindley to the conversation. He plays basically anything with strings (and probably some things without strings), was the go-to sideman for everybody in the pop world in the '70's. Think Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon, Linda Ronstadt, Curtis Mayfield, James Taylor, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Dolly Parton, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Toto, Rod Stewart and Joe Walsh among others.

He also fronts his own band and has explored world music with musicians from Africa.

Just an amazingly talented guy who is not well-known despite his success.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I doubt many people know who Clu Gulager is but his work often made me sit up and go "Heyyy...I like what you're doing there".
Clu Gulager is rock solid in whatever he does; if I saw his name in the opening credits, I always watched, no matter how awful I thought the movie was going to be.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Add Roy Buchanan and Steve Vai.

The problem is yhat though their technique is masterful, there are flaws in their game that limits them. You can only go so far on technique alone. Jimi Hendrix was also a masterful guitar player, but he was also a great singer who could write a memorable song (and knew when technique was not enough).
You think it's technique alone? They have written memorable songs. Vai and Satriani have a loyal fan base and have been putting out records for many years.

They just play in a genre that is not mainstream. Instrumental guitar music is not for everybody. And popular does not always equal good.

-God
Old 09-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Hammered Dulcimer-master Ted Yoder should be touring concert halls rather than elementary schools in my opinion.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 AM

Catherine Howe - wonderful singer, was attractive, good songs, good band.... Never understood why she basically had to retire for decades only to come back because of her song "Harry" (thanks to the prince)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 AM

Sometimes it's a matter of playing an unusual instrument. I really like txalaparta (a xylophone made from and played with logs), but don't ask me to name any players other than Kepa Junkera.

Last edited by Nava; 09-11-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Tom Paxton. You may not know his name, but you know a lot of the songs he wrote, but you think they were written by someone else or are "traditional folk songs." He has been in the business since the early 1960's, and his songs have been covered by a lot of people. Paxton is a song writing mastermind, right below Bob Dylan in my book.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
This is "not appreciated"?

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 09-11-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I was using the metric of "household name" as opposed to "respect within the industry."

YMMV, and all that.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Sorry, if a middle-aged white guy knows him (and his stage name), has seen performances and his videos... and knows that he's the second-best Lando Calrissian of all time... then he's definitely appreciated.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
Hammered Dulcimer-master Ted Yoder should be touring concert halls rather than elementary schools in my opinion.
That first link totally fucking rocks! Thank you for posting this!

eTA: OMG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAFT4eVX5Ak

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-11-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Happy Rhodes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8pgPChsJs
Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 PM

I was gonna miss the edit window, but that first link in lisiate's post was to Mr. Yoder performing Tears For Fears' Everybody Wants To Rule The World in his backyard.

The ETA link I posted is to Mr. Yoder performing Tears For Fears' Everybody Wants To Rule The World in his backyard with Tears For Fears!
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM

How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

None! They have a machine that can do that now!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

kirkrapine, was that meant to be in some other thread? Because I can't see how it's remotely relevant here.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

None! They have a machine that can do that now!
Those aren't drums!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:21 AM

I always find it odd when I look up some actor on IMDb and find out that I've been watching them for years without realizing it. It happened with Eli Wallach and Tasha Martel. Wallach was amazing as Tuco in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but he could clean up and play an insurance agent or a judge. Martel played T'Pring (Spock's fiancee) in Star Trek, and she was also in Demon with a Glass Hand on The Outer Limits and dozens of guest roles back in the '60s and '70s.

I've always wondered if the best compliment you can give an actor is to say that you didn't recognize them.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I always find it odd when I look up some actor on IMDb and find out that I've been watching them for years without realizing it.
All the Tom Hardys of this world...
Old 09-12-2019, 08:36 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
You think it's technique alone? They have written memorable songs. Vai and Satriani have a loyal fan base and have been putting out records for many years.

They just play in a genre that is not mainstream. Instrumental guitar music is not for everybody. And popular does not always equal good.
Steve Morse is IMHO the best guitar player in the world. After being voted by Guitar Player magazine best overall guitar player in the world enough times that they had to retire him and after putting out multiple albums with the Dregs he left music to become a commercial airline pilot. Thankfully he was able to come back and get some good paying gigs and pursue his own music as well. Despite some severe tendonitis issues he is still fantastic. I saw him on the Dregs reunion tour and Iím seeing Flying Colors next month.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
This is a great example!

Being a guitar "player" (kindof), I appreciate when musicians put up pages like this one that Chris put up:

https://smither.com/etc/guitar-tunings/

He uses a lot of different tunings, so it is nice to have this reference.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Cyndi Lauper should have received the accolades heaped on Madonna. I think Cyndi was and still is the more talented individual.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Trivia note: Cyndi Lauper is the only woman to date to receive the Best Score Tony all by her lonesome. She wrote the songs for Kinky Boots all by herself with no help from anyone, male or female, and got the Tony for it.

So there. Theatre always recognizes real talent.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 09-12-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

And she did it all while suffering from the heartbreak of psoriasis!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
And she did it all while suffering from the heartbreak of psoriasis!
Christ, you don't know the meaning of heartbreak, buddy,
Old 09-12-2019, 08:17 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Doug Stanhope is a pretty well respected comedian. His comedy isn't really mainstream but he is one of the best comedians working right now. However when he does shows he usually only sells a few hundred tickets per show.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:19 PM

Townes VanZandt.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Doug Stanhope is a pretty well respected comedian. His comedy isn't really mainstream but he is one of the best comedians working right now. However when he does shows he usually only sells a few hundred tickets per show.
Agree, and I'd put Stewart Lee on that level as well.

Stanhope scares me in the way that he seems to think in complete, coherent comedy paragraphs....even while rat-arsed. He's like a comedy Hitchens.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:46 AM

Danny Gatton was considered by some to be among the finest guitar players in the world. He had virtually no popular acclaim. He was the house band for a small-sh DC nightclub called Club Soda. He was Django Reinhart-level brilliant, but instead of French jazz, he played country/rock and was over the heads of his live audiences. He killed himself the same year Kurt Cobain did.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Garry Wills is the best writer on American politics and history and has been for decades. It's not that he's completely unappreciated (since his material still occasionally appears in The New York Review of Books), but he should be more generally known. He's 85 years old now and has slowed down in his writing.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:59 AM

I'm not sure if this fits the requirements of the OP, but an argument can be made that Paul Revere & The Raiders were highly underrated and (even more so) underappreciated. Here is a recent article that makes that argument.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
He's considered a comedian's comedian. He mentors a lot of comics. E.g., he has helped out Mrs. FtG's relative who is a comic of similar ilk. He does small time benefit gigs, too. Nice guy who does out-there comedy. So not easily pegged for the purposes of promotion.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:28 PM

Ron Sexsmith - gets great reviews and accolades, but not much else, really.

The Tragically Hip - great music, hugely popular in Canada, but not as much anywhere else. Maybe just too “Canadian”?
Old 09-13-2019, 05:31 PM

I've seen Stanhope 3 times, and I like the small venues. His last special was the first one I thought that wasn't too great. When I last saw him live, he was basically repeating himself.