Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

As an adult I appreciate married with children on a totally different level

Its a quality show that addresses the bad parts of adulthood. I never got some of the jokes as a kid.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

It is said that when Ed auditioned for the role, as he approached the door to come inside the "house", he paused and sort of sighed. That display of exasperation, of loathing, is part of what got him the job. Subtle, but very recognizable to people...married with children.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:20 AM

Here's an interview with Ed O'neil about how he came up with the persona for Al and got the part. The other actors were playing Al as loud and excited like Jackie Gleason, while he went for 'resigned'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=butNX7mnsKk
Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 PM

The show's message is: Marriage is EVIL!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
And kids make it worse.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Meh. Roseanne was much better.

Until it wasn't, but that's a different topic.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:21 PM

I couldnt disagree more. Also, Roseann was clearly influenced by MWC.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
I couldnt disagree more. Also, Roseann was clearly influenced by MWC.
Agree with the disagree. MwC is in my top 3 all-time sitcoms. I used to always joke that I wanted to grow up to be Al Bundy. I think I did.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:08 PM

“Peg, if I wanted you to know what I was thinking I’d be talking to you.”

Great show. This and the Simpsons kept FOX alive. Archie Bunker was an asshole and Edith was a ditz, but Married made fun of the ‘institution’ of marriage and child rearing.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:49 AM

"Miss me Al?"

"With every bullet so far...."
Old 09-14-2019, 08:12 AM

"Urethra!"
Old 09-14-2019, 08:26 AM

Al Bundy, walking in the door after a tough day selling shoes:

"I WISH THE WORLD WAS A FLY AND I WAS A GIANT ROLLED UP NEWSPAPER!!"
Old 09-14-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Having once experienced marriage, the message is accurate.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Here's an interview with Ed O'neil about how he came up with the persona for Al and got the part. The other actors were playing Al as loud and excited like Jackie Gleason, while he went for 'resigned'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=butNX7mnsKk
Great story, and I'm almost surprised no one else took the "resigned" interpretation and went Jackie Gleason on him, but I'm glad they did so he could get the part. He was perfect as Al.

The show also seemed to have great cross-cultural appeal. When I was an expat in Hungary, it seemed every one of my non-US friends appreciated the show. There was even a shoe store in Budapest on Erzébet Krt. called "Al Bandy Cipő" ("Al Bundy Shoes"), which I always got a kick out of.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:36 AM

My favorite episode is when Al takes some scouts camping in the woods, 'gather round the flashlight, kids' and tells them a 'horror story'. A horror-story about an evil, rapacious red-haired creature that pursued a man. It would not stop. Oh, he tried to avoid it. He tried dating others, but it would. not. stop! At night he could hear its evil cry....'Oh honey....oh hoooooneeeyyyyy'........Peg was quite an attractive woman, but Al only had eyes for young sluts. He suffered from the madonna-whore syndrome, as did Elvis . You either had a pure woman or a sullied woman, and they could not be both!........Bud was kind of sad and hilarious at the same time...how many tv sitcoms feature the family's son being busted for pleasuring himself at the public library?? .......also, Christina Applegate was the most beautiful actress on television, wore bangin' outfits, and how pale blond ladies wear red lipstick like that and look great is a mystery to me even today.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
My favorite episode is when Al takes some scouts camping in the woods, 'gather round the flashlight, kids' and tells them a 'horror story'. A horror-story about an evil, rapacious red-haired creature that pursued a man. It would not stop. Oh, he tried to avoid it. He tried dating others, but it would. not. stop! At night he could hear its evil cry....'Oh honey....oh hoooooneeeyyyyy'........Peg was quite an attractive woman, but Al only had eyes for young sluts. He suffered from the madonna-whore syndrome, as did Elvis . You either had a pure woman or a sullied woman, and they could not be both!........Bud was kind of sad and hilarious at the same time...how many tv sitcoms feature the family's son being busted for pleasuring himself at the public library?? .......also, Christina Applegate was the most beautiful actress on television, wore bangin' outfits, and how pale blond ladies wear red lipstick like that and look great is a mystery to me even today.
IMO I think Peg was more than attractive enough to Al physically. He just wanted her to work and contribute to keeping up the house. He loved her and stayed with her but he came to accept that she was set in her ways and would never change.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Great show. This and the Simpsons kept FOX alive. Archie Bunker was an asshole and Edith was a ditz, but Married made fun of the ‘institution’ of marriage and child rearing.
Dan Castellaneta (voice of Homer Simpson) appeared twice on MWC. The second time was as a funeral director but the first time was one of the best episodes ever. He played a guy named Pete talking to Al

Pete: Your wife is going out dancing with my husband.
Al: Your husband?
Pete: Yes, my husband.
Al: You know you're a guy.
Pete: Yes.
Al: Your husband?
Pete: Yes
Al: You know what this means?
Pete: What?
Al: There's three guys who don't want to sleep with her.

Castellaneta was wonderful in the role, playing it "straight" (which he is)
Old 09-14-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
The show also seemed to have great cross-cultural appeal. When I was an expat in Hungary, it seemed every one of my non-US friends appreciated the show. There was even a shoe store in Budapest on Erzébet Krt. called "Al Bandy Cipő" ("Al Bundy Shoes"), which I always got a kick out of.
There's a Russian-produced version called Happy Together. I tried watching it, but found it incredibly lame (though the actress who played the "Marcy" character was really cute).

I've never discussed the show with anyone else who saw it, so I'm curious as to what the Russians thought about it.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
IMO I think Peg was more than attractive enough to Al physically. He just wanted her to work and contribute to keeping up the house. He loved her and stayed with her but he came to accept that she was set in her ways and would never change.
Peg was one lousy (non) housekeeper. She was a slacker who was more interested in her hair and nails. But even so, men love 'hot wives' who are lousy self-absorbed bimbos.... For countless seasons, Peg was constantly begging Al for sex, constantly. All he was ever turned on by were young bimbos in skin-tight mini-dresses. (It was kind of disgusting, those young bimbos were not unlike his own daughter, Kelly.) Al didn't like women period. unless they were young sleazy pinup girls. any of them who were ordinary - like his customers at the shoe store! - were a horrid burden in his sad life. He so missed out, and there he was, a football hero from high school!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:37 PM

Armin Shimerman (Quark, DS9) played a Briard owner who wanted to breed Buck to his bitch. Unfortunately, after sexy time with Buck, the female becomes the late Lady of Astoria and Al gets stuck with a bill for $10,000.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
But even so, men love 'hot wives' who are lousy self-absorbed bimbos....
Yeah, when they are some OTHER man's wife. When it's your own wife you tend to lose attraction over behavior that isn't compatible with a happy marriage. As far as being attracted to hot young women in tight clothes, that's just sort of a natural involuntary response, especially when you've only had pleasant superficial interactions. When you are resigned to your wife sitting around eating bonbons for 20 years and hate your life, sometimes it doesn't matter how "hot" she is.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
Yeah, when they are some OTHER man's wife. When it's your own wife you tend to lose attraction over behavior that isn't compatible with a happy marriage. As far as being attracted to hot young women in tight clothes, that's just sort of a natural involuntary response, especially when you've only had pleasant superficial interactions. When you are resigned to your wife sitting around eating bonbons for 20 years and hate your life, sometimes it doesn't matter how "hot" she is.
Tell me about it.... And that hot young football hero who scored 4 touchdowns at Polk High is now a balding lump, guzzling beer, watching sportsball in a recliner all weekend long. so it goes....but the Bundys really did, under it all, love one another. Proven during the show many times.

Last edited by salinqmind; 09-14-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:09 PM

I always thought each of the Bundy's were fantastic in their roles on the show, but Bud is the only one that basically had no career after MWC. IMO, He did the physical comedy very well.

I heard part of his problem that he was a prima donna.

I heard about the Russian version of MWC on while watching an Expedition Unknown documentary on the Discovery Channel.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Dan Castellaneta (voice of Homer Simpson) appeared twice on MWC. The second time was as a funeral director but the first time was one of the best episodes ever. He played a guy named Pete talking to Al

Castellaneta was wonderful in the role, playing it "straight" (which he is)
Part of the joke being that Pete was way better at being what Al considered a good spouse (i.e. he cooked for Al). Al lectured Pete's husband (played by Sam McMurray also, like Dan C, from the Tracy Ulman Show) on how he was throwing away a good thing.

Last edited by Hypno-Toad; 09-16-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:22 AM

They had some really great sight gags; the view of the audience after the lights and curtain come up for The Jeffersons: Movin' on Up live show always makes me laugh.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM

I just saw Christina Applegate in her new Netflix Show "Dead to me". I am still impressed how far she has gone as an actress from Kelly, and she is as gorgeous as an adult woman as she was then to my teenage self.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM

I didn't watch this show much back when it was on. Then, I saw something funny that helped put a lot of it in context for me.

I guess it was a millenial (they of the lifelong bad economic breaks) reviewing this show. His take was that Al didn't know how good he had it:

- He owns a house!
- He's got a stable job!
- His wife wants to have sex with him all the time!
- He can afford to raise two kids!

Compared to my life (the millenial), he's in heaven. What has he got to complain about!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
I didn't watch this show much back when it was on. Then, I saw something funny that helped put a lot of it in context for me.

I guess it was a millenial (they of the lifelong bad economic breaks) reviewing this show. His take was that Al didn't know how good he had it:

- He owns a house!
- He's got a stable job!

Compared to my life (the millenial), he's in heaven. What has he got to complain about!
<al>everything</al>
Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Al's biggest problem is that he peaked in high school. Of course he complains about everything now. All his good times ended at graduation. Christina Applegate pushes my buttons because a)she's almost my age so she was a contemporary and b) she looked JUST LIKE a girl I totally had the hots for in high school. So seeing her in reruns is nostalgic on two levels.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:53 PM

the sad thing is I knew several real life als and peggys ....the als were, in reality, bitter mean drunks at dead-end jobs with a wife and kids they didn't want (one even said the only reason he had either them was abortions weren't legal back when he was in hs) some were studs in hs some weren't

the Peggys were neglectful pill heads or trampy drunks themselves that kept the kids clothed and fed just enough so the county. state wouldn't intervene ....
Old 09-16-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:

- He owns a house!
- He's got a stable job!

Al: Oh, Peg, it was horrible. Sixteen straight hours of shoe-selling mayhem. Last thing I remember, I was down on one knee, waiting on an overflowing glacier of a woman. First thing they teach you when you’re a rookie shoe salesman is, when you got a fat one in the chair, never look up. I looked up, Peg. I saw underwear. It said "Saturday."

Peg: So what?

Al: TODAY'S WEDNESDAY! Anyway, the next thing I knew, I was insane.

Last edited by muldoonthief; 09-16-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I loved when Al would make a condecending comment, implying that someone had it worse than him. Kind of the opposite of praise from Caesar.

When Al's in-laws come to visit, the flamboyantly gay brother Otto is lamenting that the family singing group (played by the Del Rubio triplets) is breaking up temporarily:

Otto: The public will forget, interest will wane, oh God, it can happen -- look at Glen Campbell!

Peggy: Oh Al, do something!

Al: Sorry Peg, Glen's career is what it is.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Al didn't like women period. unless they were young sleazy pinup girls. any of them who were ordinary - like his customers at the shoe store! - were a horrid burden in his sad life.
I don't remember any ordinary women on Married With Children, ever; they were either desirable and unobtainable, or shrewish and unbearable. And the male characters weren't any better. The Bundys weren't a dysfunctional family in a normal world. Everyone was pretty damn horrid.

Quote:
Dan Castellaneta (voice of Homer Simpson) appeared twice on MWC.
Off-topic, but this does remind me of an episode of L.A. Law. The firm was representing someone who got fired from his job wearing a Homer Simpson costume at a theme park. Without the costume, he was rather shy and quiet, but in costume he became the perfect Homer, loud and brash. He was played, of course, by Dan Castellaneta.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

And let's sing the praises of Ted "Jump the Shark" McGinley, who actually improved the show when he joined as Jefferson D'Arcy. The best foil for Al and March.

In googling Jefferson to get the names spelled right, I find out his middle name is "Miolhouse." Another Simpsons connection. Think he is really a grown up Milhouse Van Houten?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 AM

MWC is a good example of characters devolving into caricatures over the run of the show. Kelly, especially, descended into a stereotype blonde bimbo as the show progressed. She started off as simply being one of the cool kids who ditched school and hung out with bad elements. And she was just unschooled enough to fall for Bud's practical jokes ("helping" her with school reports, usually). but pretty quickly the producers went with dumb blonde humor for her and her gaggle of hot popular friends.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:04 AM

My favorite casting decision of the show was to fire whatever little brat played that Seven kid for one season. The audience couldn't stand the character, so he disappeared the next season with no explanation whatsoever (other than one or two jokes along the lines of his face on a milk carton implying that he was missing).

I can imagine the producers telling the young child actor: "Sorry, we thought that the show's fans would love you. It didn't turn out that way. Nobody could stand you. You're gone!"
Old 09-17-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
My favorite casting decision of the show was to fire whatever little brat played that Seven kid for one season. The audience couldn't stand the character, so he disappeared the next season with no explanation whatsoever (other than one or two jokes along the lines of his face on a milk carton implying that he was missing).

I can imagine the producers telling the young child actor: "Sorry, we thought that the show's fans would love you. It didn't turn out that way. Nobody could stand you. You're gone!"
<al>Face it kid, you're the reason planned parenthood stays in business</al>
Old 09-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Speaking of Kelly and dancing, who can forget the FEVER dance she did with Bruno. One of the hottest dances on network TV ever.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
And let's sing the praises of Ted "Jump the Shark" McGinley, who actually improved the show when he joined as Jefferson D'Arcy. The best foil for Al and March.

In googling Jefferson to get the names spelled right, I find out his middle name is "Miolhouse." Another Simpsons connection. Think he is really a grown up Milhouse Van Houten?
I thought both were a Richard Nixon reference.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Kelly and dancing, who can forget the FEVER dance she did with Bruno. One of the hottest dances on network TV ever.
Not sure if this requires a 2 click or not -

Old 09-17-2019, 11:51 AM

Peg: "What does that toilet have that I don't?"

Al: "A job!"
Old 09-17-2019, 12:00 PM

I wish I could still find my NO MA'AM t-shirt.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Great story, and I'm almost surprised no one else took the "resigned" interpretation and went Jackie Gleason on him, but I'm glad they did so he could get the part. He was perfect as Al.

I think this was because they translated it into various languages quite well across Europe. The Germans were big fans, and this was in a town I lived in for a bit as well:

Al Bundy Shuhe, Hildesheim, Germany
Old 09-18-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Not sure if this requires a 2 click or not -

Oh, that was lovely! Puts 'Dancing With the Stars' to shame, I think only Apollo Ohno and Julianne Hough on that show did a dance number nearly as hot.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
There's a Russian-produced version called Happy Together. I tried watching it, but found it incredibly lame (though the actress who played the "Marcy" character was really cute).

I've never discussed the show with anyone else who saw it, so I'm curious as to what the Russians thought about it.
There was a British version in the 90s starring Russ Abbott. I'm not sure it ever got past pilot.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:

- He owns a house!
- He's got a stable job!

Al did now how good he had it. (Or at least his writers did...). Al hooked up with an attractive energetic women who wanted to take him away from all that, and what did he do? He went back to Peg and the kids. Why? "I'm married. With children."