Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Effexor shortage

Iíve been trying to fill an Effexor (antidepressant) prescription for a week now, but everyone is out. Iím feeling the negative effects of this much sooner than I expected. How am I supposed to cope with this?
Old 09-07-2019, 06:29 PM

Effexor shortage

Effexor withdrawal can be nasty, and they kick in very soon. If I miss one dose, I will start to feel some very unpleasant effects after only a few hours.

You should see a doctor to help you with this, it's not a good idea to try and tough it out on your own.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Archeonomist; 09-07-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:02 PM

Thank you, Archeanomist, but it is Saturday and my pharmacists did not show concern or compassion at my plight. If I do end up dead from this, I expect shrugged shoulders all around.

I’ve honestly tried to correct the spelling of your name and I am not allowed. I apologize and acknowledge it as part of my situation.

Last edited by singular1; 09-07-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 PM

I realize that sounds like an Eeyore response. I’m really sorry.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Since this involves a real world medical issue, let's move it to IMHO (from GQ).
Old 09-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

You might want to check with your doctor. They often have samples and might be able to give you some to hold you over until you can get your prescription filled.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
I’ve honestly tried to correct the spelling of your name and I am not allowed. I apologize and acknowledge it as part of my situation.

Oh, don't worry about the name, no need to apologize.

How about going to an emergency room - is that an option?

You might want to have a look at this article I found on WikiHow about Effexor withdrawal that had some useful information:

https://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Effexor-Withdrawal
Old 09-07-2019, 08:19 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I'd see about getting on another SSRI quickly. Prozac would rapidly diminish if not completely resolve withdrawal symptoms. In our patient system, we've had to switch folks from one psychotropic to another quickly due to shortages, to prevent this sort of issue.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

My wife is running into that issue with one of her meds. You need to contact a pharmacy that uses a different supply chain (if your regular pharmacy is CVS, try Walgreens, WalMart, etc.) This could cause a snafu with your insurance company, but hopefully it will be just a short-term problem.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:24 PM

I'd recommend switching to desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) if at all possible, if Effexor (venlafaxine) is absolutely unavailable. It's a metabolite of Effexor and would be better than nothing. Your doctor would be more likely to have samples of this, because it hasn't gone generic yet, that I know of.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:45 AM

I feel you on the symptoms. I had to go through SSRI withdrawal due to a poorly informed psychiatrist who did not do cross tapering or equivalent dosage. My mom also has had to go without Effexor specifically for a couple of days because we had to order her prescription online to be able to afford it.

So I'll just recommend a few things you might have around the house, or at least easy access to. Most people I know who have the "brain zaps" swear that omega 3 fish oil supplements can help with that, and I have to agree. I also found that stuff with chamomile and valerian root helped with the anxiety. If you get depressed, then I personally found that B12 supplements seemed to help, as did the fish oil.

Obviously, getting back on Effexor (or at least a replacement SSRI temporarily) would be better. But, until then, I thought I'd share what helped me the most. I'd even recommend the fish oil even for a bit after you get back on the right drugs, as it won't hurt anything. It doesn't replace the SSRI or anything--it just may be neuroprotective.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:28 AM

Itís 5:20 AM on a Sunday, so thereís not much to do now. Fortunately mr. singular has a couple Xanax to help me through the occasional yips. Weíre going to Urgent Care when they open, and calling the hospital pharmacy as well. Iíve just taken a fish oil capsule and dissolved 3 B12 sublinguals, hoping for some relief. My most heartfelt thanks to everyone who has offered their kind advice. This is the Dope I love.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:24 AM

I don’t know if this will help, but I had a buddy on this stuff and when he got off of it the only thing that made him feel better was running. He would have to go “run it off”. He was kinda chubby at the time too. He still runs today though. Much less chubby.

I hope you feel better. Best of luck.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:25 AM

I don’t mean to suggest that running will make it better instead of medicine. I don’t mean to offend in any way.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
I donít mean to suggest that running will make it better instead of medicine. I donít mean to offend in any way.
Oh, that is the sweetest thing. I can barely walk, but I love the suggestion. You canít imagine how inoffensive this is, and thank you for the thoughtful suggestion.
I donít know what to do - obviously I missed the opportunity to do all the good things Iíd hoped to do yesterday.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:15 AM

Wow- somehow most of my post got eaten. No response from my doctor. I was too frozen to make it to urgent care and just sat it out stupidly on my own.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Effexor withdrawal does bite the big one, and the effects are different from case to case. For me, I can't sleep because I'm in a constant waking dream state. When I close my eyes, I can't rest because of the constant activity in my brain.

You could try ordering a refill online. If you're wary about that, the FDA has a guide. It's rough, but you'll get through this.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:33 PM

My oncologist wanted me to go on Effexor because the Paxil I've taken for 20 years interacts with the hormone blocker he wanted me to use. I refused because of all the horror stories I've heard about it, so he switched me to another hormone blocker.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:43 AM

Can Mr. Singular drag your frozen ass over to Urgent Care?

This is not something to tough out on your own.

{{hugzzz}}
Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM

I hope Iím on my way out now- the doctor called in DULoxetine HCI EC last night, and Iíve been asleep ever since just now taking my second dose. Iíll see what the day and the brain brings.
Thanks again, everyone.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Wow- somehow most of my post got eaten. No response from my doctor. I was too frozen to make it to urgent care and just sat it out stupidly on my own.
Holy shit, best wishes.

Quote:
I hope Iím on my way out now- the doctor called in DULoxetine HCI EC last night, and Iíve been asleep ever since just now taking my second dose. Iíll see what the day and the brain brings.
Thanks again, everyone.
I hope that does it for you. Sorry I can't offer anything constructive, but {hugs}
Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 AM

The hugs are more than I could hope for - sending them right back at you.
So far still just really really tired...

I feel like I’m not making sense, but it is a relief to just be tired and not in any otherworldly head space. I’d just like everyone to know how much I appreciate all the advice and good wishes. Back to sleep now...

Last edited by singular1; 09-10-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Coherence?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Effexor withdrawal does bite the big one, and the effects are different from case to case. For me, I can't sleep because I'm in a constant waking dream state. When I close my eyes, I can't rest because of the constant activity in my brain.

You could try ordering a refill online. If you're wary about that, the FDA has a guide. It's rough, but you'll get through this.
I almost suggested that, including the name of a particular pharmacy. But I was hoping the OP would get sorted before the drugs actually could arrive.

But, yeah: HealthWarehouse has been a life saver for getting access to medications for us.