Old 03-28-2002, 12:19 PM

Any Howard Stern fans around (Radio show)

I love his radio show. Not nearly as big a fan as
his show on the E channel! I think he's extremely talented when he's not interviewing strippers and lesbians (not that there's anything wrong with that- it's just not my thing!)
Old 03-28-2002, 12:26 PM

I also like Stern, but think he's declined quality-wise over the past few years. I can't get him where I live right now, but whenever I'm in the D.C. area I tune him in.

As far as his E! show goes, I'll watch it if I'm flipping around and I land on it, which is pretty rare. If it doesn't look interesting, I'll keep flipping. Once in a blue moon I'll catch a good show. I have to say, though, Private Parts is one of the funnier movies I've ever seen. Sort of makes me wish he'd make a sequel.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:10 PM

hell ya

I listen every morning. Good shit.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:49 PM

I want to be Robin, but I don't think I could ever get up that early.
Sadly, I also confess to having a wicked crush on KC, even when he peed on that guy's hand.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:00 PM

I've been listening since the NBC afternoon drive time days, for real. That was pre-stripper and lesbian time and I, too, can live without that. I remember before Stuttering John was on and other interns did the interviews. I remember when Baba Booey got his name. I remember Bob and Ray and Susan Bezerkowitz, the traffic girl. I really liked it more back then because it was more spontaneous. But I still like it and I think Artie has brought new life to the show. I do NOT miss Jackie at all.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:06 PM

I've been listening since the NBC afternoon drive time days, for real. That was pre-stripper and lesbian time and I, too, can live without that. I remember before Stuttering John was on and other interns did the interviews. I remember when Baba Booey got his name. I remember Bob and Ray and Susan Bezerkowitz, the traffic girl. I really liked it more back then because it was more spontaneous. But I still like it and I think Artie has brought new life to the show. I do NOT miss Jackie at all.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:29 PM

I actually think the show keeps getting funnier and funnier. And the best stuff of all is the stuff they never/hardly ever show on E!--all of the infighting (some of which gets on), plus the commentary on current events (which would never get on E!, since it makes for very dated reruns).
Old 03-29-2002, 07:51 AM

Caricci- I agree! Artie Lang does a great job on the show! I liked him when he was on Mad TV as well. The only thing I miss about Jackie is that incessant cackling.

brondicon- I think KC is gorgeous. I wonder what that stuff was about a while back about him being a pedophile?

I actually enjoy Howard more since his divorce.
I was actually listening to Howard the morning of the Sept 11 attacks and he did a spectacular job.
Strangely comforting.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:36 AM

Loyal listener. But while Artie Lang seems like a good guy, I really, really miss Jackie. He's just added so much more to the show.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:46 AM

Loyal listener for 12 years. I tape the E! show every night, but usually end up fast-forwarding through the boring stripper/lesbian episodes. The radio show is much better, but the girls on late night cable get the ratings.

Artie is a very funy guy, but I think he says (yells) too much. He has a comment for almost everything. It's turning into the Howard and Artie show rather than the Howard Stern Show. I miss Jackie, but I miss everybody making fun of Jackie more.

KC is a homo.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:44 AM

Fluffy: What's this pedophile stuff?

Quote:
KC is a homo
Oh, and Read Icculus? Grow up, wouldjya?
Old 03-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I don't think KC's an actual pedophile, but apparently his sub-par standup involves a lot of clumsy pedophile-based humor, which results in him rapidly losing the crowd. The guy's got severe problems.

I'm also bored by the stripper/lesbian things. Yeah yeah, Howard, if she's 35 pounds and blonde she's the hottest girl in the world. Also, ditch the "evalutions".

Artie is great, especially when you consider the lumps that filled that chair right after Jackie left. Craig Gass got old fast, "Evil Dave Letterman" is simply unfunny, Crazy Cabbie is dull but loud guy, and who the hell thought A.J. "Retarded Soprano" Benza could add anything? The main reason I miss Jackie is because they do fewer Jackie impersonations now.

Fred is severely underrated, by the way.

IMO, the show is at its best when there's infighting. And the best TV shows are when they animate those discussions. The episode where they reenacted Gary's car accident with muppets was hilarious.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:11 PM

I really like Artie. He's a great addition to the show. And I have to say, when he breaks into his indignant Italian "Disgrazziado! Brocolli Raab! Pasta Fagiol!" bit it cracks me up every time.

The only thing I miss about Jackie is Fred's impersonations of him. Stuttering John's getting annoying too. I don't know exactly what it is about him, but he just gets on my nerves now. Maybe he was just funnier when he was unsure of himself and his place in the show.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Caricci
I've been listening since the NBC afternoon drive time days, for real.
That was the only time I could tolerate How-ierd. He didn't have any sidekicks to banter with so he mostly played music. I have absolute no interet now that everyone on the show just runs their yaps, which is why I preferred Greaseman until I got tired of him too. At least ol' Grease played some music while preparing for his next bit.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Artie was the best. Howard & Artie. Now the show sucks.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 PM

I listened to Howard every morning around the time this thread was started fifteen years ago, but stopped once he went to satellite.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
I listened to Howard every morning around the time this thread was started fifteen years ago, but stopped once he went to satellite.
The Sirius stuff with Artie in the Jackie chair is really good. After Artie left the whole thing went to utter shit.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:47 PM

The show sucked after Jacky and Stuttering John left. Hated Artie; he was a kiss-ass.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:43 PM

Ex loyal listener since Howard arrived in southern California in 1991.

Always thought the show was funny, still do. When he went to satellite, I gladly bought the equipment and paid the subscription fee.

But back in 2011, he went to 3 days a week and 10 weeks of vacation time, so I bailed.

In order for the show to really work, it had to be current, but if something happened on a Wednesday, he wouldn't get to comment on it until Monday!

I don't really blame Howard. He had been getting up at 4 am for all of his working life. He needed a break.

I miss the show and occasionally see new episodes on you tube.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:58 PM

I think Artie should come back for at least 1 ep. They should put all the bad blood aside and do it again for the good of the show.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:34 AM

I was listening to Howard Stern while on my long commute to work on 9/11. Having him and Robin dictate the bad news as it kept rolling in was surreal.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:42 AM

Is Stern even relevant anymore?

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, he was everywhere. He showed up in the news. He did talk shows. And so on. I used to listen to his show on my way to work, and there was the "water cooler" talk about the show. Once he went to satellite, that was it for me, I've not heard his show since. And it seems like, since then, he's faded from public view. I don't hear him talked about anymore.

Now, granted... I moved to a new area about a year before Stern made the jump, and no longer had the occasion to listen to his show or talk to people about him while he was still on the (free) air. So maybe it's just me?

ETA: Stern was on the radio in my new area, but I wasn't listening in the mornings anymore.

Last edited by GESancMan; 03-14-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Is Stern even relevant anymore?
He's still around and still hitting them with the HEEEIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Old 09-06-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfishius View Post
He's still around and still hitting them with the HEEEIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNN
I'm well aware that he's still around. The question was, is he still relevant.

Aside from that, I have no idea what you just said.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

It's so funny, I was just thinking about the Howard Stern show the other day. I am aware that it still comes on daily, but is it still popular or good?

I haven't heard a single second of Howard Stern on the radio(even recorded clips) in over 10 years. Is he still a shock jock? I mean, did the whole thing mature at all or is it just the same juvenile stuff as it was 20+ years ago?

Is Fred still there? Robin?
Old 09-07-2019, 01:08 AM

His show basically sucked ever since Artie Lange left or was fired. He lost his edge and his drive, and from what clips I have seen or heard recently he just doesn't have any bite anymore. He just wants to talk about how he's changed with his psychotherapy and that's great but he's boring now.

I think also since he went to satellite and I think he doesn't even come with the basic satellite stations cause I can't find him on my satellite radio, he's sort of a radio hermit that few people can hear, he definitely jumped the shark years ago and his best days are behind him, he's no longer the king of all media that's for sure.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
His show basically sucked ever since Artie Lange left or was fired. He lost his edge and his drive, and from what clips I have seen or heard recently he just doesn't have any bite anymore. He just wants to talk about how he's changed with his psychotherapy and that's great but he's boring now.

I think also since he went to satellite and I think he doesn't even come with the basic satellite stations cause I can't find him on my satellite radio, he's sort of a radio hermit that few people can hear, he definitely jumped the shark years ago and his best days are behind him, he's no longer the king of all media that's for sure.
How does the satellite radio even afford him anymore? Do they really make so much money they can afford his salary more than over-the-air radio?

Yeah, I have not listened or heard anyone talk much about the show since Artie left. I preferred the days of Jackie, as well, though I say that having no idea what is is like now. I just know I have almost no interest.

I'm curious enough if they post their show free on the internet later. Do they?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
How does the satellite radio even afford him anymore? Do they really make so much money they can afford his salary more than over-the-air radio?
They have over 30 million subscribers (in no small part thanks to Howard) and the minimum subscription cost is $11 per month, $21 if you want the package that includes Howard's channels. That's a minimum of $300 million per month in subscription fees, or $3.6 billion per year.

Quote:
Yeah, I have not listened or heard anyone talk much about the show since Artie left.
His interviews continue to generate news stories, as stars tend to reveal new information to him that the public isn't aware of. He also just wrote a new book, which was released in May, that immediately hit #1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

Quote:
I'm curious enough if they post their show free on the internet later. Do they?
No, but he includes small snippets for free on his website.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-07-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:50 PM

so nobody has problems with him calling black female athletes "nappy-haired hos"?
Old 09-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman View Post
so nobody has problems with him calling black female athletes "nappy-haired hos"?
If he did, Iím thinking lots of people would. But that was Don Imus, not Stern. (And this is sorta like asking if people arenít bothered by Obamaís incessant tweeting - Stern and Imus were long term rivals, with strongly differing philosophies on radio) Meanwhile, Stern is doing truly excellent interviews - equal to, or better than, the great tv interviewers of yesteryear. He manages to make guests you donít care that much about interesting, and get more out of interesting interviewees than other interviewers do. Some of the other stuff on his show I find funny, some I donít. But on long car rides, my time tends to be 60% Stern, 20% NPR and 20% BBC.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:08 PM

my bad!