Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Why is there any question about who would play Nobby when Tony Robinson is still alive?

Last edited by MrDibble; 03-21-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM

Too bad Michael Berryman* isn't a a couple of feet shorter.

*If you ever get the chance to meet him, do it. He's about the coolest guy on the face of the earth.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Personally I'd prefer unknowns to play the parts.

I dislike the previous films being given an Victorian character rather then how I envisage the scenes judged by the books.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life View Post
Personally I'd prefer unknowns to play the parts.
Well, yes, but then we can't kibitz about unknown actors, can we?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM

If you're interested (and I know you are) you can see a video of part of one of their production meetings (including Sir Terry) here.

Last edited by WotNot; 03-21-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 AM

New here but thought I would put my tupence worth in for charachters in the watch.

NOBBY: Big Mick?? I think thats his name - (Zercon the fool in “Heroes & Villains” Attila the Hun)

CHEERY LITTLEBOTTOM: Meredith Eaton (I know she is a yank but ..... even with the heavy makeup her beauty will shine through

And if he ever makes an appearance in the city - CASANUNDER: Peter Dinklage – one of the best from Game of Thrones

SALLY VON HUMPEDING: Christina Ricci – Wednesday Addams in Addams Family

THERE ARE BETTER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN ALCOHOL, ALBERT. "Oh, yes, sir. But alcohol sort of compensates for not getting them."
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Christina Ricci might even make a good Angua - she's got the haunted fight-or-flight look in her eyes.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Why is there any question about who would play Nobby when Tony Robinson is still alive?
Too old. Andy Serkis, on the other hand...

Mark Addy is a good choice for Colon, although these days all those roles seem to go to either Timothy Spall or Mark Benton. Jeremy Irons for Vetinari is a good choice too, or maybe Jason Isaacs (but not Alan Rickman who really needs to get some other work besides dolorous quasi-evil types).

Angua needs to be a bit more rough-and-tumble. Jessica Stevenson Hynes is probably too old for the role now (at 37, which is a sad thought) but has the right vibe.

Ross Kemp for Detritus. What?

Vimes...tough one. You need someone grizzled and tough but with a strong dose of both charisma and pathos. Hmm...I typed "grizzled British actors" into Google and, after various cites for the late Pete Postlethwaite, got a hit for Ray Stevenson. Looking good...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Vimes - Robert Lindsay???

THERE ARE BETTER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN ALCOHOL, ALBERT. "Oh, yes, sir. But alcohol sort of compensates for not getting them."
Old 06-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Too old. Andy Serkis, on the other hand...

Mark Addy is a good choice for Colon, although these days all those roles seem to go to either Timothy Spall or Mark Benton. Jeremy Irons for Vetinari is a good choice too, or maybe Jason Isaacs (but not Alan Rickman who really needs to get some other work besides dolorous quasi-evil types).

Angua needs to be a bit more rough-and-tumble. Jessica Stevenson Hynes is probably too old for the role now (at 37, which is a sad thought) but has the right vibe.

Ross Kemp for Detritus. What?

Vimes...tough one. You need someone grizzled and tough but with a strong dose of both charisma and pathos. Hmm...I typed "grizzled British actors" into Google and, after various cites for the late Pete Postlethwaite, got a hit for Ray Stevenson. Looking good...
I believe Peter Postlethwaite was Pterry's original choice for Vimes. The pictures in Where's My Cow certainly look like him.

Last edited by Damfino; 06-03-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 PM

For Nobbs; How about the guy who played the Dreamlord in a recent Doctor Who. He's short and pulls off the happy and creepy look pretty well.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 PM

I can't see Titus Pullo as Vimes. He's too big. I always picture Vimes as underfed and wiry.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Well, we've definitely found Fifi.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
For Nobbs; How about the guy who played the Dreamlord in a recent Doctor Who. He's short and pulls off the happy and creepy look pretty well.
That's Toby Jones. He's become something of a minor star lately with his version of Truman Capote being somewhat more accurate than Philip Seymour Hoffman's.

I wrote a blog post listing a few possibles that I could see as the characters, including:

Vimes: Jack Dee, Danny Webb, Ben Miller.
Carrot: Rupert Grint, Tom Hopper, and a commenter suggested Sam Roukin.
Nobby: Dominic Monaghan, Andy Serkis, Adam Buxton.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 AM

Ray Stevenson.... Great in Rome and a good all round actor - but for Vimes - no chance - maybe Carrot but..... although he has the build for Carrot but not the face - Carrot needs an open and honestly naive.

Last edited by Hogfather65; 06-06-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Wrone quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomist View Post
Well, we've definitely found Fifi.

You mean Big Fido, maybe?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post

You mean Big Fido, maybe?
Um...yah.

He can eat my face off in Hell for that if he likes.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM

I saw the Rupert Grint nom for Carrot and thought 'nah, too young, and why? just 'cause he's a redhead?' and then went to the movie database and looked at more pictures and such...
I do believe he could do a really good job! I'm surprised.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM

If there's a great actor with the wrong hair he/she can always wear a wig.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Carrot is supposed to be like a redheaded Captain Awesome (from Chuck). Broad shouldered, narrow hips, i.e. shaped like a carrot.
Brendan Fraser, maybe?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM
BANNED

Vetinari -- Alan Rickman? John Hurt? Jeremy Irons? Has to be someone who can combine aristocratic aplomb with bottomless cynicism.

Since this is a time-travel story -- young Vetinari (the Assassins' School boy) poses an even greater challenge.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 06-07-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Brendan Fraser, maybe?
This! This could definitely work!
Carrot's supposed to be actually fairly young, but I think Fraser's got enough of a babyface to carry it off anyway.
He'd be great!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Vetinari -- Alan Rickman? John Hurt? Jeremy Irons? Has to be someone who can combine aristocratic aplomb with bottomless cynicism.
But it also must be someone who can do the eyebrow trick better than The Rock.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brendan Fraser, maybe?
Why the holy hell do people keep bringing Brendan Fraser into this? Point one, he's not British. Point two, he's nearly 50. Point three, he's not a redhead. And point four, you couldn't be more off the mark in terms of character (Bill Campbell is way closer, and he's wrong for it too).

Americans have this one track mind on Brendan effing Fraser playing Carrot, and I'm so totally over it.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Why the holy hell do people keep bringing Brendan Fraser into this? Point one, he's not British. Point two, he's nearly 50. Point three, he's not a redhead. And point four, you couldn't be more off the mark in terms of character (Bill Campbell is way closer, and he's wrong for it too).

Americans have this one track mind on Brendan effing Fraser playing Carrot, and I'm so totally over it.

If it makes you feel better, I'm American and I think Brendan Fraser is completely wrong for all the same reasons you mentioned.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Reviving my own thread from...holy, crap! Over eight years ago!?!...because there have been actors cast.

Story here

I only know Richard Dormer from "Game of Thrones," but I think that seems like a really good match. He's got the weathered, weary face I've always pictured on Vimes, and I loved his gravelly, hinting-at-menace voice.

I do not know any of the other actors, so can't make many meaningful comments. The woman cast as Angua has a very interesting, beautiful, angular face, which would seem to work well. The gentleman cast as Carrot seems appropriately boyish and earnest in affect.

The woman they've cast as Sybil is much less...physically substantial...than she is described in the books, but as long as she can capture her spirit and attitude, that's the really important thing to me.

I continue to be cautiously optimistic.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
I do not know any of the other actors, so can't make many meaningful comments. The woman cast as Angua has a very interesting, beautiful, angular face, which would seem to work well. The gentleman cast as Carrot seems appropriately boyish and earnest in affect.

The woman they've cast as Sybil is much less...physically substantial...than she is described in the books, but as long as she can capture her spirit and attitude, that's the really important thing to me.

I continue to be cautiously optimistic.
Agreed on all fronts. The cast is mostly unknowns-ish, which I prefer, and they mostly seem like excellent casting based on looks.

Sybill is definitely the odd one out. Fit, young, and hot just isn't how I'd ever picture Sybill. Her plainness and robustness are part of what make her relationship with Vimes so charming. But I'll certainly give her a chance; there's plenty of ways they could interpret the character that still honor the original. I don't expect this series to be purely faithful, I just want it to take the best inspirations.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Wow. That's.....not good news at all. They will surely fuck it up in a myriad of ways.
I stand by my original comment from 8 years ago.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Wow, Dormer's a teriffic choice! I'm excited about this.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

The announcement on Cinema Blend makes it sound absolutely dreadful.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

One thread you can tell was revived from the title.
It will be on BBC America, and I'll watch in another 8 years when it gets finished and released.
My only quibble is Lara Rossi as Sybil. I always had the impression that she and Vimes were a good match because they were both misfits despite having power. Lara Rossi looks way too attractive to be a Sybil.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Yeah, no offense to Lara Rossi's acting ability, but she does not look at all like Lady Sybil should. I always imagined it should be someone like Miranda Hart.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Interesting that they've gone with a NB actor for Cheery. I don't agree with that choice, I think it undermines the message of Cheery's liberation as a decidedly binary female Dwarf. But we'll see how it goes. NB actors, of anybody, should be able to play any gender they want, gods know they have no problem casting straight men as trans women.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
...I have to say, I was not terribly enamored of "The Colour of Magic" nor "Hogfather," although I don't think they were truly awful. ...
I actually liked both of these and Going Postal and love Good Omens so I have some hope this can be done right.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The announcement on Cinema Blend makes it sound absolutely dreadful.

Yes, that sounds profoundly awful.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Reading more on some of the actor choices. So the producers see that one of the characters is a dwarf, quite well noted for being height-challenged. So who do they think is the best fit for that role? Some who is 6 fucking feet 2 inches! That is probably even worse than picking a skinny young woman for fat middle-aged Sybil. This is going to be a train wreck of epic proportions.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Reading more on some of the actor choices. So the producers see that one of the characters is a dwarf, quite well noted for being height-challenged. So who do they think is the best fit for that role? Some who is 6 fucking feet 2 inches! That is probably even worse than picking a skinny young woman for fat middle-aged Sybil. This is going to be a train wreck of epic proportions.
Special effects (or not-so-special effects, like kneeling) can easily correct that. If there are good performances and good writing, then this will be fine. If there are bad performances and bad writing, then it will not. The height and physical appearances of the actors are far, far less important than the acting, writing, directing, and production.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Special effects (or not-so-special effects, like kneeling) can easily correct that. If there are good performances and good writing, then this will be fine. If there are bad performances and bad writing, then it will not. The height and physical appearances of the actors are far, far less important than the acting, writing, directing, and production.
Or--you know--you could have a (fantasy) dwarf played by a (real) dwarf.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Or--you know--you could have a (fantasy) dwarf played by a (real) dwarf.
We'll see (and fantasy dwarves are not the same as RW dwarves). Maybe the show will be good, or maybe it will be bad, but I doubt a single casting choice will be the difference.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
We'll see (and fantasy dwarves are not the same as RW dwarves). Maybe the show will be good, or maybe it will be bad, but I doubt a single casting choice will be the difference.
We are already at at least two shitty casting choices--Sybil and Cherry. I'm just waiting to see Justin Beeber cast as Nobby Nobbs. Gaspode will be played by a horse and Vetinari will be played by a different horse.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So far they've fucked up two major casting choices and the adaptation. I hold little hope that the writing, direction and production will be any better. We're looking at a series written by a barely-literate high schooler with Dr. Who Season 3 production values starring the cast of a dinner theatre version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?

Spiffing. Just spiffing.

Last edited by silenus; 09-11-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:47 AM

They do look to be going in the SG1:90210 direction.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Wow, Dormer's a teriffic choice! I'm excited about this.
He's okay, I guess. I still think Simon Pegg would have been perfect - for one, he's actually funny (Discworld is still a comedy, isn't it?); for another, he's basically already played a slightly younger, less experienced Vimes in Hot Fuzz. And he looks more like Pratchett's character is described, too.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
And he looks more like Pratchett's character is described, too.
Pratchett based Vimes on Clint Eastwood, just saying.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
Pratchett based Vimes on Clint Eastwood, just saying.
He also said that he looked like the late Pete Postlewaithe. Fun fact: if you did a digital melding of Clint Eastwood's and Pete Posthlewaithe's faces, you'd get Simon Pegg.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:33 AM

If you have Simon Pegg for Vimes, you get a free Nick Frost for Colon, so it's economical....
Old 09-12-2019, 06:14 AM

Just like how if you get Hugh Laurie as Patrician Vetinari, you also get a free Stephen Fry as Archchancellor Ridcully. That's how it works.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
Yeah, no offense to Lara Rossi's acting ability, but she does not look at all like Lady Sybil should. I always imagined it should be someone like Miranda Hart.
Miranda Hart? Sybil's whole thing is being large in all sorts of ways, not tall and gawkish.

I am baffled by the Rossi casting, tbh. I was going to suggest the new plus-sized Sheridan Smith as a better Lady Sybil, but apparently she's been busy losing the weight again.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Just like how if you get Hugh Laurie as Patrician Vetinari, you also get a free Stephen Fry as Archchancellor Ridcully. That's how it works.
Humour. It is a difficult concept.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Humour. It is a difficult concept.
What, you don't think they're funny?