Old 09-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The surviving vampire is the only one we saw dominating a council member so maybe she was in charge of dominating all of them to give the orders later or something? In case the Exarch had to handle outside interference? I guess that would fit why everyone needed their domination broken.
Either that or the death of the dominator does not free the dominatee. We only have one example of someone released from domination when a vampire expired: Hilgya. In her case, she may have been released by Durkon* before he turned off the anti-life field. Or maybe she got a new saving throw for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I guess the book is about over.
Pretty close. All the other books except the first had a black panel with white text about how the strip will continue in a month or two. So this is not quite the end of the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I like the visuals on the de-stoning effect.
Considering that those visuals were (at least in panel 2) based on Richie Havens' song at Woodstock, everyone should be stoned, not de-stoned.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I guess the book is about over.
Still another few pages to go. The Giant says he's hoping to get the book out before Christmas. If it was only one or two pages, he'd be able to say for sure. I'd guess maybe another 15-20 pages.

Things to wrap up before the end:
- mend the table
- rescue the cousin's fiancee from the perpetual slope
- dwarven council votes
- Godsmoot resolved
- catch and destroy the last vampire
- Durkon speaks to Hilgya about visitation rights and his parental responsibility
- The Order returns to the Mechane
- some surprise revelation the last page, to be resolved in the next book.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

All those loose ends may not be tied up before this book ends. The Order could move on with the council still suspended, waiting for a new table, and thus the Godsmoot not finished. And they don't really need to catch the last vampire, either. The cousin's fiancee can be rescued off-screen.

The surprise revelation may be a shift to Team Evil, perhaps finally finding the last gate. That wouldn't be terribly surprising, so expect something else.

I think someone in the other forum figured (based on I'm not sure what) it was about a dozen more strips, but that was a couple-three strips ago, so 9 or 10 now. I don't know what the deadline is for pre-Christmas publication, but at three work days/strip it's going to be tight.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Still another few pages to go. The Giant says he's hoping to get the book out before Christmas. If it was only one or two pages, he'd be able to say for sure. I'd guess maybe another 15-20 pages.

- mend the table
- dwarven council votes
- Godsmoot resolved
- Durkon speaks to Hilgya about visitation rights and his parental responsibility
I'm voting for table not fixed, and therefore Godsmoot not finished, which holds a bunch of very high level priests out of the denouement at the last Gate for the next couple of days. Their calendar is similar to ours, with the solstice and end of the year timing. Belkar dies at the end of the year or earlier, the solstice was only a day or two ago, and therefore Burlew can wrap all this up in 6-7 days of comic time in the final book with Belkar dying at the climax or near it.

I'm really interested how they're going to fix the Hilgya situation. I also am not sure the Mechane is how they're going to get to the last Gate. Fiancee rescue seems like bonus strip material.

Burlew's going to have to get on it, for the book to be in the printer's hands by, what? end of October? In order for it to be in stores ~Xmas? Great pace so far though.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
. I'd guess maybe another 15-20 pages.
On reflection, I'll revise that. Last strip, the confrontation between Loki and Thor, is about the same place in the book as when Tarquin was left behind in the desert. The wrap up from there took 10 updates and 11 pages.

I expect the wrap up in this book will take about the same. Current strip is the first page of wrap-up. Maybe 9-12 to go.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

- mend the table
- dwarven council votes
- Godsmoot resolved
I doubt most of these items will be wrapped up in this book. Some will be resolved off camera and some will be put on a back burner for resolution much later in the story. It's like the Tarquin storyline; once it stops advancing the main plot, Burlew feels no need to stick around and tidy up the details.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

No, I meant the visual of Durkon himself turning from stone to fleshy, not the Song of Freedom.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
No, I meant the visual of Durkon himself turning from stone to fleshy, not the Song of Freedom.
Oh, well I really liked that 60-70s protest vibe in panel two.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Oh, well I really liked that 60-70s protest vibe in panel two.
The hippies singing is a nice counterpoint with their very Lawful society, akin to Elan's cornpone 'God, Guns and Guts' singing, when he's as Chaotic as they come. Fine bit of mirrored irony by Burlew.

I haven't really liked this book, but I've really liked parts within it.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-03-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:12 PM

I don't expect either catching the vampire (as that's a part of what's keeping Hel alive) nor the fixing of the table (as people had already voted). I mostly just expect the setting up of the next book. Get them started moving so that we can join them in the next actual conflict. Maybe actually have something happen that leaves a proper cliffhanger.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
The hippies singing is a nice counterpoint with their very Lawful society ...
They're bards, they can't BE Lawful.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
For no apparent reason, I'm now envisioning the Team America: World Police versions of Martin Sheen and Tim Robbins sitting around going "We're bards." "Barrrrrrrrrds."
Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 AM

1179: Indefinite Accomodations

Last edited by chorpler; 09-09-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 AM

"They're like the trendy juice bar of monsters". Heh.

This all looks suspiciously like denouement, so the end of the book is in sight.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 AM

To be clear, I don't expect it to play a part at all but seeing Hel's new high priest sulking in the corner of the Godsmoot while the rest plan their summoned meals made me wonder how often vampires need to feed. A quick Google found me this response on Reddit:
Quote:
3.5e has Libris Mortis, a handbook about all things Undead, which includes a number of Undead and their diets. It differentiates between Diet-Dependent or Inescapable Craving, the former of which is stated for three days per feeding and the latter only one day per feeding. It has the Undead make a Will save or lose Wisdom every feeding period it goes without feeding, until eventually it loses all Wisdom, goes insane, and stops at nothing to get its meal. It calls the Vampire's blood draining Diet-Dependent, but also has the Vampire's ability to deal negative levels (which it doesn't have in 5e) an Inescapable Craving. I think I'd just nix that last part and stick with Diet-Dependent blood drinking. So call it every three days if the Vampire wants to be comfortable, and it can go an arguably indefinitely amount of time without feeding but it'll get crazier and crazier while it's starved.
Again, I don't think the story will end with Hel's hunger-crazed high priest attacking people in a lust for blood but, you know, gotta talk about somethin'.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

For those unfamiliar with it (as I was before reading the other forum), the Treeslayer panel is a parody of Trollslayer. Note that the mounts are beaver and woodpecker, two animals that also attack trees.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
For those unfamiliar with it (as I was before reading the other forum), the Treeslayer panel is a parody of Trollslayer. Note that the mounts are beaver and woodpecker, two animals that also attack trees.
Iím not really seeing the parody, other than the name, and ______slayer is a pretty generic formulation in fantasy stuff.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I doubt it.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Seemed more of a parody of warhammer dwarven slayers than anything else.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:14 PM

It's not a parody of that book, specifically, it's a parody of the dwarf Slayers in Warhammer in general. The punk mohawk look seals the deal, it's their defining feature (although traditionally orange).

You get Giant Slayers, Demon Slayers and Dragon Slayers in addition to Troll Slayers. For OOTS Dwarfs, Tree Slayers are completely on-brand.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-09-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Seemed more of a parody of warhammer dwarven slayers than anything else.
Well, yes. Trollslayer was the first book in that series. OK, so it wasn't specifically about that book, but that book started the whole thing.

Last edited by dtilque; 09-09-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
To be clear, I don't expect it to play a part at all but seeing Hel's new high priest sulking in the corner of the Godsmoot while the rest plan their summoned meals made me wonder how often vampires need to feed.
Perhaps the priest could cast their own Create Food and Drink and get something suited for their diet?
Old 09-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Well, yes. Trollslayer was the first book in that series. OK, so it wasn't specifically about that book, but that book started the whole thing.
Warhammer Fantasy Battles is a popular table-top wargame that started in the early '80s (hence the prominent mohawks) and spun off into dozens of different games, books, comics, etc. over the years. The punked-out dwarf berserker aesthetic has been a part of the game since pretty much the very beginning. Trollslayer is the first novel in the Grotek and Felix series of adventures set in the Warhammer fantasy setting, but isn't the source for the "dwarf slayer" concept, or even the first novel that used the Warhammer fantasy setting.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
Perhaps the priest could cast their own Create Food and Drink and get something suited for their diet?
Technically, the description says the spell provides Food and water to sustain three humans or one horse/level for 24 hours.

Vampires are neither humans nor horses. Granted, elves, orcs and dwarves aren't human either but they eat the same sort of thing which you can't say about vampires. I wouldn't assume that you can use it to summon up a bucket o' blood. Granted, it also says "simple fare of your choice" but I guess it would be up to the DM how far you can stretch the definition of food.

Last edited by Jophiel; 09-09-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Nice touch that the shower curtain is being held up by the two blind clerics. Apparently, the northern Gods have a sense of propriety.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
The first Dwarf Slayer minis were released in the mid-80s, first appearing as just "beserkers" in '84, and morphing into Slayers over the next 3 years, being firmly entrenched as such by '87. They predate the Gotrek and Felix book series by more than a decade.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Nice touch that the shower curtain is being held up by the two blind clerics. Apparently, the northern Gods have a sense of propriety.
Actually only one, the high priestess of Hodor on the right, is blind. The one on the left and the pointy hat girl above are just blindfolded; we saw them earlier with their sight.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Technically, the description says the spell provides Food and water to sustain three humans or one horse/level for 24 hours.

Vampires are neither humans nor horses. Granted, elves, orcs and dwarves aren't human either but they eat the same sort of thing which you can't say about vampires. I wouldn't assume that you can use it to summon up a bucket o' blood. Granted, it also says "simple fare of your choice" but I guess it would be up to the DM how far you can stretch the definition of food.
I predict that you're going to shut down my infinite wealth xorn priest right out of the Gate, aren't you?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
I predict that you're going to shut down my infinite wealth xorn priest right out of the Gate, aren't you?
Well, my Aurumvorax priest seems to be doing okay. Not as well as my Disenchanter priest though
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I once played a female dwarven character and at an inn a human PC kept trying to peek at her (long story). She finally told him, "You won't like what you see; I'm too... blocky for your taste."
Old 09-11-2019, 01:34 AM

Just curious, what race is skull-on-his-head-eats-children dude supposed to be? He seems to be several skin shades (or is that his costume?) and I think he has a tail (or is that also his costume?).

Last edited by squeegee; 09-11-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Just curious, what race is skull-on-his-head-eats-children dude supposed to be? He seems to be several skin shades (or is that his costume?) and I think he has a tail (or is that also his costume?).
Bugbear, maybe? He looks goblinoid.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I think it's his tail; at least, in a close-up it's the same color as his skin and not the rest of his costume. I don't think any goblinoids have tails and his ears look different from Oona's.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Ah, I forgot we've already met bugbears.

Some kind of lycanthrope, maybe?
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

New strip :
1180 +1
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

Yay - another team member!

I was pondering the other day, now that we're wrapping up the biggest part of Durkon's arc, who's next in the firing line. The fact that we're adding a new member at the same time that Belkar's demise is virtually overdue suggests that we will be -1 very shortly (or very shortly in comic time - in real time it'll probably be 2022).
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Ah, I forgot we've already met bugbears.

Some kind of lycanthrope, maybe?
Catfolk - different subspecies from Jacinda, though.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

...and NO regurgitation!
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

Neat. Guess Minrah is taking the slot that Burlew intended Bandanna to fill. I imagine she'll have titanic plot armor, as a, what 6/5 Cleric/Fighter or something like that, adventuring in a party with characters having a bunch of levels in the mid to high teens?

I suspect Minrah is going to be very important at convincing RedCloak or the Dark One to play ball. Or RedCloak's niece.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; Yesterday at 08:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

This book is definitely winding down quickly.
Old Today, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Neat. Guess Minrah is taking the slot that Burlew intended Bandanna to fill.
Uh, Bandana was busy with another project? Burlew and her agent couldn't come to terms? Characters pretty much do what their writers tell them to.
Old Today, 09:44 AM

Which one was Bandanna?

Maybe Burlew figured she wasn't interesting enough and decided to go with Minrah instead.
Old Today, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Which one was Bandanna?.
The girl that Julio left in charge of the Mechane.
Old Today, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Uh, Bandana was busy with another project? Burlew and her agent couldn't come to terms? Characters pretty much do what their writers tell them to.
If I recall correctly, Burlew intended for Bandanna to join the Order as a full-time character but she never really clicked with readers so he shelved that idea versus listening to people complain about her. Reader reception to Minrah was probably more positive so she'll be joining the full-time roster instead.

Edit: It occurs to me that Bandanna is a lesbian and there's an assumption that Minrah is as well. I doubt this is relevant to the story but Burlew just wanted that representation in the group.

Last edited by Jophiel; Today at 09:53 AM.
Old Today, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I just can't see Bandana having any potential as a member of the main group. She was clearly an NPC. If anything she was a parody of an NPC. Her role in the plot was literally to move the main characters to the next part of the story. She was treated as a fixture of the airship (what was she supposed to contribute to the main group if she left the airship?). And she was named after an item of apparel she wore.

The only role she had beyond being an NPC was that she was an alternative leader character. This allowed Burlew to have some interesting scenes with Roy being in a position were he wasn't the one in charge; it was interesting to see Roy taking orders rather than giving them and this perspective helped develop Roy's character. But that dynamic would have vanished if Bandana had left the airship and joined the main group.

Minrah, on the other hand, has potential as a main character if Burlew decides to go that route. She's represents the newbie; a low level character playing alongside characters who are far more powerful and experienced than she is.
Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
If only audiences were as malleable.

Burlew wanted another 'strong female character' for awhile, and did his level best to make it Bandanna. Audience reaction seemed mixed. Plucky Captain Sue didn't appeal to me, but tastes vary. Edit: OTOH, Nemo made some great points, just above, about why Bandanna should never have been expected to join the Order, or be more than an uber-NPC.

Minrah looks to me like attempt #2. She's written entertainingly enough that I'll be disappointed if she gets ganked again. The crew of the Mechane? Meh. YMMV.

I guess they're taking it to the Tomb. I'd be as happy if the Order got teleported near there with or without the Mechane.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; Today at 10:57 AM.
Old Today, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Burlew intended for Bandanna to join the Order as a full-time character but she never really clicked with readers so he shelved that idea versus listening to people complain about her. Reader reception to Minrah was probably more positive so she'll be joining the full-time roster instead.
I believe Rich has never said any of this, so it's pure speculation.
Old Today, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, it's like Miko. She was never a popular character. When she died people speculated that she had been killed off because of reader response. Burlew certainly said that her plot arc and death had been planned out before her first appearance. IIRC, I think he said that he doesn't alter his plots to suit readers.

I don't believe that he added Minrah because Bandana wasn't popular. I'd like to see some cite that he did.
Old Today, 02:43 PM

I was remembering back to last December when we apparently had this same conversation. I don't think anything was proven then and I'm not invested enough in the theory to go looking for evidence though I'll admit I remembered it more definitively than it was actually presented. In fact, I questioned it at the time.

That's what those "If I recall correctly" caveats are for

Edit: I meant to link to the start of the whole conversation and not call out dtilque's post explicitly.

Last edited by Jophiel; Today at 02:46 PM.
Old Today, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Wait, how were people last December already discussing a strip that clearly only came out a couple of weeks ago?

It was just a couple of weeks ago, wasn't it?

Gray Ghost, in just this very episode, Minrah reminded us all that we don't have any idea what her pre-cleric level was. Remember, O-Chul's paladin level is even less than Minrah's cleric level... but even before he became a paladin, he was already tough enough to be the sole survivor of an entire pitched battle.