Old 09-03-2019, 08:31 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Kroger, the nation's largest grocery retailer, asks customers to quit openly carrying guns in stores.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

From Utah, a man was shot and injured after pulling a gun on people at a child's birthday party. The man who was shot has been arrested; police have indicated they believe the shooter was acting in self-defense and will not be arrested or charged.

The article quotes local police as indicating that the man who was shot "was on a restricted list, meaning he isn’t allowed to own a gun. People typically are placed on that list because of felonies".
Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

From Ohio, the state has changed its laws regarding self-defense; people who use force in self-defense no longer have to prove their innocence--as with any other crime, the state must prove the defendant's guilt. According to the article, Ohio had been the only state in the country where the burden on proof was put on the defendant in such cases.

(Although the article talks about "shooting", and I'm posting it in this thread, I'd bet good money the law in question doesn't actually specifically talk about firearms; presumably it would equally apply to someone who uses a knife or a blunt instrument in self-defense.)
Old 09-03-2019, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

A number of reforms to Texas gun laws that had been passed earlier in the year just took effect. They include:
  • Religious buildings will not be automatically off-limits to people who are lawfully carrying weapons. Texas requires a license to carry handguns (whether openly or concealed); to obtain a license, applicants must pass a criminal background check and complete a training course. There are laws allowing property owners to bar either concealed carry or open carry; signs barring concealed carry or open carry that meet the specifications of Texas law carry legal weight, so a church or mosque or synagogue could still ban concealed carry or open carry or both, but houses of worship will no longer have a special status under Texas law.
  • Two other bills protect the rights of renters to possess firearms in their homes.
  • Another bill allows gun owners with licenses to carry to store their guns in their locked cars in the parking lots of schools; actually carrying into the school is still prohibited.
  • A bill provides a safe haven for people with licenses to carry who inadvertently enter an establishment that bans firearms as long as they immediately leave when asked. (Given that Texas has some pretty specific laws regarding signage, I'm not sure how exactly someone could "unknowingly" enter a place where guns are legally banned; or on the other hand how a place that lacks proper signage could actually still make it illegal to carry there under Texas law.)
  • A bill will allow people to carry handguns for self-defense without a license during a declared state of emergency. (Federal and state laws continue to criminalize any possession of any firearm by felons, people convicted of certain kinds of domestic abuse, or people who have been involuntarily committed for mental illness.)
  • A bill allows certain foster parents to have firearms in their foster homes, but they must still be kept in a locked location.
  • Finally, a bill looses restrictions on the number of armed school marshals at public and private schools. That doesn't seem to be a loosening of the restrictions on the standards of who can become a "school marshal"; that being the case I'm not sure what the point of arbitrarily restricting the number of such persons would be.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:57 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

This is the "Positive Gun News of the Day" thread, not the "Positive Gun Control News of the Day" thread. Gun control posts do not belong in this thread.

There are numerous gun control threads here on the SDMB. If you want to post something like this, post in one of those.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note

Gun control posts do not belong in this thread.
What about all the gun control measures in the post immediately above yours? Are gun control posts OK in this thread if they loosen gun control laws?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
What about all the gun control measures in the post immediately above yours? Are gun control posts OK in this thread if they loosen gun control laws?
Yes, because those are POSITIVE gun news. More restrictions are not positive for gun rights or gun owners. Seems simple to grasp.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Moderator Note

This is the "Positive Gun News of the Day" thread, not the "Positive Gun Control News of the Day" thread. Gun control posts do not belong in this thread.

There are numerous gun control threads here on the SDMB. If you want to post something like this, post in one of those.
I've got no problem with the moderating decision here; the post in question was clearly outside the spirit and intention of this thread.

But let's be clear about one thing: the post was not about "gun control." A private entity refusing to allow guns on its premises isn't gun control. The fact that you or I might not want guns in our houses isn't a gun control issue, and the same applies to a private business. Kroger also probably forbids political campaigns and signature collectors from operating inside its stores, but that doesn't mean it's violating free speech rights in contravention of the first amendment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
Yes, because those are POSITIVE gun news. More restrictions are not positive for gun rights or gun owners. Seems simple to grasp.
But what about the grey areas here?

There are plenty of gun owners in the United States, for example, who support strengthened background checks. Some are supporting and some are opposing "red flag" laws, even though such laws probably wouldn't help very much, and would represent a real threat to civil liberties. A bunch of gun owners came out in support of the bump-stock ban after the Las Vegas shooting, despite the fact that the ban probably won't make America any safer at all. I was listening to a libertarian podcast yesterday where all of the panelists were in favor of gun rights, and opposed to things like "assault weapons" bans, but where at least a couple argued that restrictions on high-capacity magazines might be politically feasible and constitutionally acceptable.

I guess I'm asking: when we talk about positive gun news, are we restricting the definition of "positive" only to developments that are in line with the NRA's talking points, or are we allowed to acknowledge that not all gun owners agree on exactly what constitutes a positive development?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

The moderation of my post is being discussed here.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Never mind. Wrong thread.

Last edited by cochrane; 09-04-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
I guess I'm asking: when we talk about positive gun news, are we restricting the definition of "positive" only to developments that are in line with the NRA's talking points, or are we allowed to acknowledge that not all gun owners agree on exactly what constitutes a positive development?
Sure, not all gun owners agree on everything. Believe it or not, many gun owners think the NRA is too willing to compromise (see their quick acquiescence on bump stocks, without gaining anything in return). But it seems obvious to me that further restrictions on open carry (whether by governments, businesses or private property owners) cannot be viewed as positive gun news. If someone wants to present such a development as positive, shouldn't they have to articulate and develop support for this position, rather than simply post a link that is clearly meant to threadshit?

Last edited by Orwell; 09-04-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
So if it were legal to give loaded Uzis to delusional schizophrenics, to throw handguns into kindergarten playgrounds and to drive around firing randomly out of one's car windows, that would be "positive gun news" because it would represent fewer restrictions for gun rights and gun owners?

Look, I understand the point of this thread, but your definition isn't "simple"; it's simplistic. Responsible gun use and things that promote responsible gun use are good news. Things that facilitate irresponsible use are...less so. Where that line gets drawn is clearly debatable, but "no regulation is good regulation" - a logical conclusion from your statement - is a pretty extreme position.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:42 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Moderating: I agree. Discussing gun laws whether they are perceived as positive or negative to gun owners would be better suited in its own thread. Most likely in GD.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Moderating: I agree. Discussing gun laws whether they are perceived as positive or negative to gun owners would be better suited in its own thread. Most likely in GD.
The OP of this thread cited a gun control law that was overturned by a pardon.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
So if it were legal to give loaded Uzis to delusional schizophrenics, to throw handguns into kindergarten playgrounds and to drive around firing randomly out of one's car windows, that would be "positive gun news" because it would represent fewer restrictions for gun rights and gun owners?

Look, I understand the point of this thread, but your definition isn't "simple"; it's simplistic. Responsible gun use and things that promote responsible gun use are good news. Things that facilitate irresponsible use are...less so. Where that line gets drawn is clearly debatable, but "no regulation is good regulation" - a logical conclusion from your statement - is a pretty extreme position.

Moderating: the discussion of how this thread is moderated belongs in the current ATMB thread. Or the many others that have been opened in the past.

What constitutes responsible gun use is a topic for debate. That’s what GD is for. Questioning whether specific instances in this thread are examples of responsible gun use is fine.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Sure, not all gun owners agree on everything. Believe it or not, many gun owners think the NRA is too willing to compromise (see their quick acquiescence on bump stocks, without gaining anything in return).
Well, the reason that the NRA went along with the ban is that they recognize that Donald Trump is one of the very few people in the nation with more completely deranged supporters than the NRA itself. They didn't want to cross him. Do you really think their response would have been the same if Obama had been president?
Quote:
But it seems obvious to me that further restrictions on open carry (whether by governments, businesses or private property owners) cannot be viewed as positive gun news. If someone wants to present such a development as positive, shouldn't they have to articulate and develop support for this position, rather than simply post a link that is clearly meant to threadshit?
Well, I guess that's a question for engineer_comp_geek then, isn't it: would the post that ECG moderated have been acceptable if it had come with an explanation of WHY it might constitute positive gun news?
Old 09-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Well, I guess that's a question for engineer_comp_geek then, isn't it: would the post that ECG moderated have been acceptable if it had come with an explanation of WHY it might constitute positive gun news?
Questions/comments regarding moderation belong in ATMB.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Questions/comments regarding moderation belong in ATMB.
Let me get this straight: we can't even ask, IN THIS GODDAMN THREAD, what we are allowed to talk about IN THIS GODDAMN THREAD? Is that really what you're saying here?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Let me get this straight: we can't even ask, IN THIS GODDAMN THREAD, what we are allowed to talk about IN THIS GODDAMN THREAD? Is that really what you're saying here?
It's like fight club. The first rule of positive gun news is you're not allowed to talk about what positive gun news is.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

From last month in Trinity, Florida: A man sought to aid a woman and her children who were the victims of domestic violence; the women screamed for help, then lowered her children out a window as the neighbor helped them escape. When the abuser confronted the helpful neighbor, the neighbor tried to defuse the situation, and retreated back to his own yard, but the abuser opened fire. The neighbor, who was also armed, returned fire, killing the abuser.

(Both men were armed in this case; note that federal law makes it a crime for any person convicted of domestic violence to possess any kind of firearm. That said, the article doesn't actually say if the deceased had any previous convictions or not.)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:04 AM

The time of day seems to be a factor. Must be terrifying to come home late at night and be confronted by this situation. The suspect is in the hospital and the victim hasn't been by charged.

I worry what happens next. These teens probably live in the apartment complex. Hudgins may be targeted if she doesn't move.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.wa...outputType=amp

Quote:
When Lachelle Hudgins pulled into her Houston apartment complex sometime around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday, she realized she was not alone.

According to Houston police spokesman Kese Smith, Hudgins told investigators that she was rolling up her windows when she noticed five or six youths between the ages of 15 and 20 standing by a mailbox. Five of them began to approach her vehicle, she said, and they were armed.

At first, “I couldn’t do anything except scream,” Hudgins, 28, told ABC 13.

But when one man reached through a partially opened car window to grab her purse, Hudgins grabbed her handgun out of her bag and fired two rounds, striking her assailant, police say. Hudgins told police the other men fled, and authorities have not been able to locate them.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Also from last month: an employee shoots and kills an armed robber at a MetroPCS in Philly:

Quote:
A store employee shot and killed a would-be robber in Philadelphia on Monday afternoon.

It happened around 4 p.m. at a MetroPCS store located on the 7000 block of Elmwood Avenue.

Police say an armed man in his 30s attempted to rob the store when the MetroPCS employee, who has a permit to carry, shot the suspect.

Police say the suspect died at the scene. ...
Source

I hope the negative repercussions to the employee's life are minimal.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Also from last month: an employee shoots and kills an armed robber at a MetroPCS in Philly:

Source

I hope the negative repercussions to the employee's life are minimal.
What are rules of engagement for police officers? Do they shoot at suspects solely for being armed? What would an LEO have done if present? The brief GIF posted in that article does not really show everything that happened.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
What are rules of engagement for police officers? Do they shoot at suspects solely for being armed? What would an LEO have done if present? The brief GIF posted in that article does not really show everything that happened.
I see what you mean. In the GIF the suspect isn't facing the employee or brandishing a gun so it's difficult to see an imminent threat, but it's quite a short clip and lacks the full context.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

From Merced County, California, a man brandished a knife at a woman during a party; then threatened another man with the knife when the second man came to the woman's defense. The second man then fatally shot the knife-wielding assailant in what local sheriff's deputies are referring to as an act of self-defense.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

From Orlando, Florida, two women forced their way into a home and began arguing with the residents, a man and a woman. One of the intruders threatened the male resident of the home with a knife; he reportedly attempted to retreat but was prevented from doing so. The female resident of the home fired a "warning shot" (often NOT considered a good idea for a variety of reasons) before opening fire on the two intruders, killing one and wounding the other.

According to the articles police are still investigating, but their initial conclusion is that the shootings were in self-defense.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:34 PM

There may be more to that story. There's probably a reason the two women forced their way into the home. Maybe a drug deal? Or money owed?

I'm not sure if that changes the self defense claim. It probably doesn't matter. Threatening someone with a knife does require action from the victims.

It'll be interesting to see if anything else comes out.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-10-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:40 PM

Homeowner holds Captain America at gunpoint.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.loc...s-sort-of/amp/

Quote:
The Clarksdale Police Department says 36-year-old David Hobbs was in a Captain America costume when he broke into a shed outside a home in the 1500 block of Lee Drive. Police say the homeowner was alerted by his alarm just after 3:00 a.m. Tuesday, and found Hobbs breaking into the shed.

Police say the homeowner held Hobbs at gunpoint until officers arrived. Hobbs was taken into custody and was set to appear in court Tuesday afternoon on a burglary charge.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-13-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Does anyone ever picture some of these gun owners paralyzed by indecision one day in a home-defense scenario, standing in front of their vast array of Berettas, Rugers, Kalashnikovs, Sig Sauers, Glocks, Smith&Wessons, Mossbergs, Remingtons and AR-15s, unable to decide which to select to stop the intruder that's just broken into their house?
Old 09-14-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Does anyone ever picture some of these gun owners paralyzed by indecision one day in a home-defense scenario, standing in front of their vast array of Berettas, Rugers, Kalashnikovs, Sig Sauers, Glocks, Smith&Wessons, Mossbergs, Remingtons and AR-15s, unable to decide which to select to stop the intruder that's just broken into their house?
You do know that "Tremors" wasn't a documentary, right?

I confess seeing a relative, who'd just jumped into the C&R hobby with both feet, and wondering, 'Why did you want an entire bedroom filled with mil-surp bolt action rifles?"

Why they make both chocolate and vanilla ice cream, I guess.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
No.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Youngstown, Ohio, as many as four people--at least two of whom were armed with firearms--were attempting to rob a store when the store's owner opened fire in defense of his employees. The two armed robbers were both shot and injured and hospitalized; two other suspected accomplices were able to flee the scene. There were no other injuries reported in the incident.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

This is from a couple of months ago, but is interesting in that a person used an AR-15 to defend himself from an attempted armed home invasion.

From Summerfield, Florida, four men (one nineteen-year-old, the other three in their twenties) forced their way into the mobile home of a 61-year-old man at around 8 p.m. on a weekday; at least two of the men were armed (with a handgun and a shotgun). The homeowner opened fire on the intruders with his AR-15 rifle; the homeowner was shot and injured, while two of the would-be robbers were killed and the other two were subsequently arrested. At least two of the would-be home-invasion robbers had previous criminal records. At the time of the article, police indicated that there were no charges pending against the homeowner and that there was nothing to legally prohibit him from owning firearms.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 PM

From early this morning, in Georgia, three teens, at 4:00 am, at least one of them armed with a gun, all shot by the homeowner.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hom...-say/986744589

Quote:
Neighbors say he's a truck driver who owns a semi-automatic rifle and is highly protective of his mother.
Yeah, I'd say so.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
From early this morning, in Georgia, three teens, at 4:00 am, at least one of them armed with a gun, all shot by the homeowner.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hom...-say/986744589

Yeah, I'd say so.
Per other accounts, wearing masks, or at least one was, and they shot first. Oops. All killed by the homeowner, not just shot.

Rifles are qualitatively different than handguns, and the homeowner had a rifle.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-16-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:33 PM

My favorite line from the (poorly-written) article:

Quote:
The homeowner who shot the masked intruder is a man.
Yes, indeed he is.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 AM

CNN is running the story.
Tragic outcome for the would-be robbers. But that's the risk they took in going to that home wearing masks and armed.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/09/17/us/...www.cnn.com%2F
Quote:
The teens approached three residents at the front yard of a home early Monday morning and attempted to rob them, authorities say. One of the would-be robbers took out a gun and fired shots at them, before one of the residents returned fire.
"The victims of the attempted robbery were all uninjured, but the three attempted robbery suspects were all shot during the exchange of gunfire and succumbed to their injuries, one on scene and two at a local hospital after being transported,"

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-17-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

From earlier this month in Coshocton County, Ohio, a 22-year-old man was threatening people with a knife at a McDonald's restaurant. A 70-year-old man with a Kentucky concealed carry permit drew his handgun and was eventually able to persuade the aggressor to drop the knife. No shots were fired and no one was injured; the man with the knife has been charged with "attempted aggravated robbery", a felony.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:54 PM

Sometimes it's just hard to get respect these days. Homeowner confronts burglar and gets ignored. Dumb move. Glad the injury wasn't serious.
https://katv.com/news/local/burglar-...-hurt-yourself

Quote:
When the homeowner again told the man to leave, the intruder replied, "Give me that gun before you hurt yourself, old man." The homeowner then shot the intruder in the leg.

Authorities identified the intruder as Charles Lancaster, 47. He was treated at a hospital in Jonesboro before being arrested on a charge of residential burglary.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-20-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

The NRA has named Beto O'Rourke as its AR-15 Salesman of the Month.

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourk...ar-nra-1460608