Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-17-2015, 08:08 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292

Lack of trust in women is still a huge problem (a very sad rape story)


Here is the link to the story. It is quite long -- here is how I would sum it up:

A teenage girl who had a rough and troubled early life was assaulted in her home. She reports it to the police. In their interviews with her, the cops go after things they think are discrepancies, and pick at her story relentlessly, and since she's not terribly confident and probably still in shock, she starts to worry she actually might have dreamt it. She recants the story, and the police end up prosecuting her for wasting their time. She agrees to a plea deal and has to pay a fine and probation.

In what appears at first to be an unrelated case in another state, cops find and arrest a serial rapist. This rapist kept trophies in his home, including underwear and photos of his victims -- and one of the photos is of the girl in the previous paragraph, who had recanted her story and been prosecuted.

The first cops recognize their mistake, and tell the woman what happened, and she sues them and gets a modest ($150K seems modest for that sort of hell to me) judgment.

I can't help wondering how common this is -- how often do police officers treat victims (especially women victims, and even more especially disadvantaged and troubled woman victims) like perpetrators? How often are actual rapes dismissed by police because the victim isn't terribly confident, or is in shock, or doesn't have a perfect memory, or has a troubled past? For every incident like this that is eventually "corrected" (as much as such a blunder can possibly be), how many are not?

Uggh.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-17-2015 at 08:09 AM.
  #2  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Shodan is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,808
Prosecuting her for filing a false report seems a little harsh. OTOH she told her ex-boyfriend that she called him on the phone by typing with her toes, which seems like a funny detail to be wrong about.

It turns out, apparently, that even though this was not a credible witness, she was telling the truth about being raped, and not telling the truth about dreaming it.

If it went down the way the article says it did, then it is a terrible thing. Sometimes crazy people are telling the truth. They obviously shouldn't be prosecuted for it, but how is this a "huge problem"? She said she was raped. From the description in the article, it doesn't appear that the police slighted on the investigation. They didn't find any evidence, because apparently there wasn't any evidence to find. Her story had at least one unusual discrepancy, and when they confronted her about it, she recanted her story (apparently, falsely). No doubt that is because she came from the unstable background you mention, instead of being because she was lying in order to get a better apartment. But how are the police supposed to know that?

Prosecuting her was clearly a miscarriage of justice. Is $150K enough to make up for it? I dunno - how much would be appropriate? I don't see any bad faith on the part of the police.

It's one of those "it sux but what can you do?" situations. Excrement occurs, and it is not always someone else's fault.

Regards,
Shodan
  #3  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:38 AM
puddleglum's Avatar
puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 6,631
Sadly rape is the serious crime that goes most unreported and the crime with the most false reports. Police must find a way to separate the false reports from the real ones because resources that go into investigating false reports mean real rapes may stay unsolved longer.
The woman in question was 18 and had developed a close bond with her former foster mother. It was the foster mother who called in to the police with her suspicions that the woman was making it up. This, combined with her strange affect, likely due to her awful childhood is what made the police suspicious. Her story was not consistent and she confessed to making up the whole thing after not much pressure.
The assailant was a serial rapist who raped a number of other women, all of whom were believed. The story of this young lady was awful at every turn, but it does not indicate a systemic problem absent other evidence.

Last edited by puddleglum; 12-17-2015 at 09:39 AM.
  #4  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:45 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
From the article, Sgt. Mason had this to say after everything: "It wasn’t her job to try to convince me. In hindsight, it was my job to get to the bottom of it — and I didn’t."

I don't think this kind of mistake needs "bad faith" to be a serious problem -- cops might legitimately doubt her story due to a variety of reasons, including her demeanor, her past, anonymous accusations, and the like... and if they do, then in my view that's very problematic. It also sounds like they interrogated the victim (after having doubts) -- sex crime specialists recommend that victims not be interrogated or threatened with a lie detector test. When she recanted her first recantation, police threatened her in several ways (from my reading). That doesn't seem right to me, if the account is true -- police officers should absolutely not threaten people who claim they have been victimized in any way, in my opinion.

As to "shit happens, what can you do"? You can not prosecute folks like this; not threaten them; and discipline officers (including perhaps suspensions and firings) who do threaten victims.

EDIT: This is in response to Shodan.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-17-2015 at 09:47 AM.
  #5  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:48 AM
John Mace's Avatar
John Mace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 85,197
But iiandyiiifi, you've come here with one story and then told us this is a "huge problem". It may very well be, but don't you think you need to present some sort of data to prove that?
  #6  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Sadly rape is the serious crime that goes most unreported and the crime with the most false reports. Police must find a way to separate the false reports from the real ones because resources that go into investigating false reports mean real rapes may stay unsolved longer.
The woman in question was 18 and had developed a close bond with her former foster mother. It was the foster mother who called in to the police with her suspicions that the woman was making it up. This, combined with her strange affect, likely due to her awful childhood is what made the police suspicious. Her story was not consistent and she confessed to making up the whole thing after not much pressure.
The assailant was a serial rapist who raped a number of other women, all of whom were believed. The story of this young lady was awful at every turn, but it does not indicate a systemic problem absent other evidence.
I think it often goes unreported because of incidents like this -- women are afraid they will be threatened, pressured to recant, attacked in their communities, or even prosecuted for wasting police's time.
  #7  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
But iiandyiiifi, you've come here with one story and then told us this is a "huge problem". It may very well be, but don't you think you need to present some sort of data to prove that?
There are statistics about unreported rapes, rapists going free, and related things, but that's not really what I'm trying to discuss. Forgive me if my title was misleading -- I wasn't sure what to call it. I want to discuss the phenomenon, which I believe might be way too common, of law enforcement not trusting women as much as they should when it comes to sexual assault. This is hard to quantify, since statistics on unreported rapes, recanted rape reports, and the like, are a lot harder to find then simple crime rates and the like, and even if we had all such statistics, it's even harder to quantify trust. Based on reports like this one, and statistics on unreported rapes like from RAINN (which have to be estimated to some degree), and other reports from women, I think it's highly likely that mistrust of reporters of rape and sexual assault occurs too frequently in law enforcement.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-17-2015 at 09:55 AM.
  #8  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Shodan is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
From the article, Sgt. Mason had this to say after everything: "It wasn’t her job to try to convince me. In hindsight, it was my job to get to the bottom of it — and I didn’t."
In hindsight, sure.
Quote:
I don't think this kind of mistake needs "bad faith" to be a serious problem -- cops might legitimately doubt her story due to a variety of reasons, including her demeanor, her past, anonymous accusations, and the like... and if they do, then in my view that's very problematic.
And the fact that her story had discrepancies, and the person closest to her thought she might be making it up, and that they couldn't find any evidence, and the fact that she changed her story from "it really happened" to "maybe I dreamed it". What else do you think the police should use to evaluate if the story is true, or not?
Quote:
It also sounds like they interrogated the victim (after having doubts) -- sex crime specialists recommend that victims not be interrogated or threatened with a lie detector test. When she recanted her first recantation, police threatened her in several ways (from my reading). That doesn't seem right to me, if the account is true -- police officers should absolutely not threaten people who claim they have been victimized in any way, in my opinion.
It depends on what you mean by "threatened" and "interrogated".

The police started off investigating the story. They found some (to their mind) significant problems with the story. Both the women who raised the victim doubted her story, and one contacted the police to tell them so. Her foster mother said she had a history of attention-seeking behavior. That's not unusual - lots of traumatized teens do. But "maybe she made this up" is not IMO an unreasonable question to ask yourself, and if she starts saying "maybe I dreamed it" when you broach the subject and then write out a statement that says it never happened.

Also, according to your cite, the victim is the one who requested the lie detector test -
Quote:
Marie said she really had been raped — and began to cry, saying she was having visions of the man on top of her. She wanted to take a lie detector test. Rittgarn told Marie that if she took the test and failed, she would be booked into jail. What’s more, he would recommend that Project Ladder pull her housing assistance.
The police didn't threaten her with a lie detector test - she requested it, and they threatened her with what would happen if she failed it.
Quote:
As to "shit happens, what can you do"? You can not prosecute folks like this; not threaten them; and discipline officers (including perhaps suspensions and firings) who do threaten victims.
I would agree with the "not prosecuting" part. Disciplining the officers? For what, for asking her if it really happened after they had reason to disbelieve her, and after investigating it as if it did happen and finding almost nothing?

Like I said, this sux, and the police were apparently wrong to doubt her. But doubt was not, AFAICT, an unreasonable or uncaring response.

Regards,
Shodan
  #9  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:28 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
In hindsight, sure.
And the fact that her story had discrepancies, and the person closest to her thought she might be making it up, and that they couldn't find any evidence, and the fact that she changed her story from "it really happened" to "maybe I dreamed it". What else do you think the police should use to evaluate if the story is true, or not?
It depends on what you mean by "threatened" and "interrogated".

The police started off investigating the story. They found some (to their mind) significant problems with the story. Both the women who raised the victim doubted her story, and one contacted the police to tell them so. Her foster mother said she had a history of attention-seeking behavior. That's not unusual - lots of traumatized teens do. But "maybe she made this up" is not IMO an unreasonable question to ask yourself, and if she starts saying "maybe I dreamed it" when you broach the subject and then write out a statement that says it never happened.

Also, according to your cite, the victim is the one who requested the lie detector test -
The police didn't threaten her with a lie detector test - she requested it, and they threatened her with what would happen if she failed it.
I would agree with the "not prosecuting" part. Disciplining the officers? For what, for asking her if it really happened after they had reason to disbelieve her, and after investigating it as if it did happen and finding almost nothing?

Like I said, this sux, and the police were apparently wrong to doubt her. But doubt was not, AFAICT, an unreasonable or uncaring response.

Regards,
Shodan
I believe the threats were unreasonable and uncaring -- that's what the officers should have been disciplined for, IMO (though it was years later, which makes it even more difficult). IMO, she was treated as a perp and not a victim once the cops had some doubts, and I don't think that's right. That she requested the lie detector doesn't make it right that the officers threatened her if she failed it -- they shouldn't have threatened her at all, in any way whatsoever.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-17-2015 at 11:32 AM.
  #10  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:59 AM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,161
Thing is, even if they were jerks about it they did her a favour to dissuade her from doing a lie detector test. As your article mentions they are particularly unreliable in rape cases let alone with a woman as unstable as this.
  #11  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM
dracoi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,867
I don't know that the police here followed a very different investigative procedure than for many crimes.

If you report a kidnapping, they'll wait 24 hours before pursuing it at all. Then their first questions will be along the lines of "Are you sure? Your kid didn't just wander off to the mall? You didn't just forget that your ex had custody this weekend?" If the kidnap victim never shows up and/or there are substantial inconsistencies, it's virtually certain they'll consider how the evidence fits you as a murderer of your own child. Most of the time they'll even be right to do this in a kidnapping case.

So I'm not sure that rape is necessarily seen differently by law enforcement, it's just that rape 1) is generally private with no witnesses, 2) has a lot of overlap with consensual behavior, 3) may not leave objective evidence behind.

Also keep in mind that police questioning is slanted toward what the prosecution will need. If the victim is also the only witness and has trouble keeping her story straight, then taking this to court would be a colossal waste of time regardless of whether it happened or not. Charging her with a false report was not appropriate, but testing the consistency of her story is a proper part of what police do.
  #12  
Old 12-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
If you report a kidnapping, they'll wait 24 hours before pursuing it at all.
I am not sure this is true, especially in the case of pre-adolescent children.
  #13  
Old 12-17-2015, 04:26 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I am not sure this is true, especially in the case of pre-adolescent children.
I am sure he was thinking of a missing person report. If you report some guy got grabbed and tossed in a van I seriously doubt they give it 24 hours before investigating.
  #14  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
the_diego is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,322
Looks more like a procedural muddle than a basic mistrust in females. I'm trying to see in the story whether or not the girl was accompanies by legal counsel during her talks with the police. Looks like she had but didn't sound effective.
  #15  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where haggis roam free
Posts: 31,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Prosecuting her for filing a false report seems a little harsh.
I disagree. Rape is one of the very worst crimes, but to be falsely accused of it is terrible. There are women who make up stories of rape, and the consequences can be devastating - including suicide - on the accused. So prosecuting someone who makes a false allegation is absolutely something that should be done. Remember though, that presumption of innocence still applies, and that the allegation has to be proved to have been false. Not "We can find no evidence of rape, so no rape happened."
  #16  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:47 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I disagree. Rape is one of the very worst crimes, but to be falsely accused of it is terrible. There are women who make up stories of rape, and the consequences can be devastating - including suicide - on the accused. So prosecuting someone who makes a false allegation is absolutely something that should be done. Remember though, that presumption of innocence still applies, and that the allegation has to be proved to have been false. Not "We can find no evidence of rape, so no rape happened."
So you think they did the right thing in prosecuting this woman?
  #17  
Old 12-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 13,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I can't help wondering how common this is -- how often do police officers treat victims (especially women victims, and even more especially disadvantaged and troubled woman victims) like perpetrators? How often are actual rapes dismissed by police because the victim isn't terribly confident, or is in shock, or doesn't have a perfect memory, or has a troubled past? For every incident like this that is eventually "corrected" (as much as such a blunder can possibly be), how many are not?
Earlier this year I heard in the news about how a backlog of old rape kits in Ohio were finally being tested for DNA. There was an interview on Fresh Air with Rachel Dissell, a reporter for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, who'd investigated the backlog of untested kits. The full interview is here, but here are a couple of quotes about what she learned.

Serial rapists are more common than had been thought:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Dissel
And I think the biggest surprise to all of us nobody - nobody foresaw this - was that 224 serial rapists or potential serial rapists have been identified. And that number, I think, really blew us away. We just didn't think that that was what would come out of this. [...] what we found as these cases have been tested and linked together was that people were committing all different types of these crimes and not being caught, that there were so many chances before to link together these crimes, to prevent other rapes, that were not taken, you know, chances that were really missed opportunities. And so I think that's a big focus now, is trying to figure out what are the lessons from these cases that we can learn so that we don't miss the opportunities to prevent crimes like this.
Serial rapists deliberately prey on women who are unlikely to be believed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Dissel
And this is what really bothers me - is that when you really looked into these cases, it's the most vulnerable women - you know, the ones who were minorities, who lived in poor neighborhoods, who had mental health problems, who had drug addictions - they were the ones being prayed on.

And nobody in society - not the police - nobody could step back and say these are the most vulnerable victims. And rapists - the serial rapists - they knew, and they benefited from it. You know, they really outsmarted everybody. They knew if they chose the most vulnerable women - the least likely to be believed - that they would never get caught. And I just don't know how that happened. How did we let them outsmart us for all that time?
In the first few days after a rape, victims are often too traumatized to assist with investigation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Dissel
I think that one of the things that people really underestimated before was the amount of support that a victim or survivor of rape really needs so that they can go forward with a process like this. You know, in the past, when you talked to detectives that would work on cases before, they were completely overwhelmed. There's always very few detectives in the sex crimes unit, sometimes, you know, 11, 12, 13 of them handling hundreds of rape cases a year. And these victims had gone through a trauma. And the marching orders that these detectives had was to try to contact the victims once or twice, and if they didn't call back, then they would close the case.

And what were - what we hear from a lot of the victims was that, you know, in those first, initial days after they reported a sexual assault, they were just going through so much. They had so many emotions. They didn't know what they should do. They were traumatized. They didn't really have any support. So someone calling and just saying, you need to come downtown for an interview, that just was not going to work for them.
Sadly, all this means that even a well-intentioned cop may handle a rape investigation badly due to mistaken beliefs about both rapists and rape victims, lack of resources, and the fact that most rapists are trying not to get caught and may be intentionally targeting victims who'll seem unreliable.
  #18  
Old 12-18-2015, 08:31 AM
ToughLife is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 157
Quote:
Lack of trust in women is still a huge problem
yeah,right
  #19  
Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Shodan is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I disagree. Rape is one of the very worst crimes, but to be falsely accused of it is terrible. There are women who make up stories of rape, and the consequences can be devastating - including suicide - on the accused. So prosecuting someone who makes a false allegation is absolutely something that should be done. Remember though, that presumption of innocence still applies, and that the allegation has to be proved to have been false. Not "We can find no evidence of rape, so no rape happened."
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but AFAICT this woman didn't falsely accuse anyone in particular - the police just thought she had made up the story of being raped.

But maybe that is something to consider when deciding when to prosecute someone for filing a false police report of rape - does she falsely (perhaps maliciously) accuse someone in particular, or just make up a story? I can see prosecuting if she accuses her ex-boyfriend of rape and it turns out he was in Cleveland at the time, but just "I was raped/maybe I dreamed it/it didn't happen" probably not. Even if the police spent a lot of time investigating what they believed to be a false report - because in this case it appears they were wrong to think so, and because of iiandyiii says about not discouraging women from reporting rape. Even if it never gets proven one way or the other.

Lamia - were these mostly stranger rapes that the reporter was talking about?

Regards,
Shodan
  #20  
Old 12-18-2015, 09:56 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
...AFAICT this woman didn't falsely accuse anyone in particular - the police just thought she had made up the story of being raped.

But maybe that is something to consider when deciding when to prosecute someone for filing a false police report of rape - does she falsely (perhaps maliciously) accuse someone in particular, or just make up a story?...
I agree. Falsely accusing a particular person of rape is a serious crime, and there are certainly cases where it should be prosecuted. Making up a story, or maybe having dreamed it and confusing a dream with reality, should not generally be prosecuted. It's rather bizarre and disconcerting that the police prosecuted this woman.
  #21  
Old 12-18-2015, 11:16 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but AFAICT this woman didn't falsely accuse anyone in particular - the police just thought she had made up the story of being raped.

But maybe that is something to consider when deciding when to prosecute someone for filing a false police report of rape - does she falsely (perhaps maliciously) accuse someone in particular, or just make up a story? I can see prosecuting if she accuses her ex-boyfriend of rape and it turns out he was in Cleveland at the time, but just "I was raped/maybe I dreamed it/it didn't happen" probably not. Even if the police spent a lot of time investigating what they believed to be a false report - because in this case it appears they were wrong to think so, and because of iiandyiii says about not discouraging women from reporting rape. Even if it never gets proven one way or the other.

Lamia - were these mostly stranger rapes that the reporter was talking about?

Regards,
Shodan
I think I mostly agree with this, though I'd still be worried about any chance of dissuading women from reporting rapes when they know (or suspect they know) who raped them, out of fear of prosecution (or just disbelief, ridicule, etc.) for false accusations.

I believe that it was totally wrong and inappropriate for these officers to use threats in any way towards someone who claimed to be raped, and if this happens in other cases, it should stop and those who threaten should be disciplined.
  #22  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:23 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Sadly rape is [...] the crime with the most false reports.
Cite?
  #23  
Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,104
I'm sure we can all agree on two things:

(1) Rape is bad,
(2) False accusations of rape are also bad.


Unfortunately, any justice system that cracks down on false accusations of rape will probably also deny some rape victims justice in the process. And any justice system that tries to get a higher conviction rate for rape will probably also get some innocent people wrongfully convicted in the process. It requires extreme precision to convict the guilty and acquit the innocent.
  #24  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:02 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I'm sure we can all agree on two things:

(1) Rape is bad,
(2) False accusations of rape are also bad.


Unfortunately, any justice system that cracks down on false accusations of rape will probably also deny some rape victims justice in the process. And any justice system that tries to get a higher conviction rate for rape will probably also get some innocent people wrongfully convicted in the process. It requires extreme precision to convict the guilty and acquit the innocent.
Yes. That doesn't mean that bad practices shouldn't be highlighted and corrected. Do you think that there's a chance that the woman in my linked story was mistreated, and the officers involved should have been disciplined, and threats should never be used against people claiming to be victims of sexual violence? Or would you rather just say that it's difficult to get it perfect?
  #25  
Old 12-21-2015, 10:09 AM
TCMF-2L is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 611
Is this story a representative example of systemic mistrust of female rape victims by the police? Indeed is there any evidence male rape victims are automatically afforded more credibility?

Here is a brief account of an equally troubled UK woman:

In ten years, since the age of 13, she has reported at least eleven rapes. All the accusations are believed to be false. The last few have seen her in court, found guilty but she continued to make the accusations until eventually she was jailed. She is typically identifying specific men as rapists because she wants to hurt them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-decade.html

Is that story definitive proof woman are believed too much? Or are both these women's stories outliers?

TCMF-2L
  #26  
Old 12-21-2015, 11:11 AM
puddleglum's Avatar
puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 6,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Cite?
Most crimes have a false report rate of 2%. A Department of Justice report in 1997 found a false report rate for rape of 8%. A british study done by the home office found 8% and a study by the group "Making a difference" found a 7% rate in the US.
  #27  
Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM
clairobscur is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Yes. That doesn't mean that bad practices shouldn't be highlighted and corrected. Do you think that there's a chance that the woman in my linked story was mistreated, and the officers involved should have been disciplined, and threats should never be used against people claiming to be victims of sexual violence? Or would you rather just say that it's difficult to get it perfect?
What about alleged victims of other crimes? Would you argue that they should be granted the same treatment, and if not why? What about a man bringing charges of a false rape accusation against the alleged victim? Should he be always trusted and never pushed or threatened, either?

Is there *never* a case when women reporting a rape should be distrusted? If there are such cases in your opinion, that should be the threshold? At which point should the police be allowed to not be so nice with the alleged victim?

Is there *ever* a case when the woman should be prosecuted for a false rape report (and presumably in this case, she would be threteaned with prosecution first)?

If you think there are such cases (that is, that at least in some cases, the false accuser should be prosecuted), and given that the police can always be mistaken in one direction or the other, should they be disciplined every time they got it wrong? Should they be disciplined also when they mistakenly believed the alleged victim and gave a difficult time to the innocent accused man? Should they be disciplined every time they were wrong for all crimes reports or only for rape, and why? For instance, should they be disciplined if they didn't believe my elderly mother who states that his neighbours are taping her phone (which is extremely unlikely) and that terrorists stole her checkbook (proven untrue since) and it turns out that indeed neighbours/terrorists victimized her?



In this particular case, besides the fact thay they were factually wrong, what makes you think that they erred so much that they deserve such discipline? What makes it an egrerious fault that requires punishment rather than a human mistake based on reasonably considered facts (troubled "victim", guardians who distrust her, lack of evidence, the "victim" saying that it might be just a dream...) that is unavoidable? What were exactly the "bad practices" in this specific case?

Last edited by clairobscur; 12-21-2015 at 11:31 AM.
  #28  
Old 12-21-2015, 11:39 AM
billfish678 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,681
Women getting the short end of the stick for various unfair reasons when it comes to rape and reporting it? Sure, happens and probably too much.

This case?

Good grief, this sounds like a case the Black Lives Matter movement would choose.

Or in other words, take a real problem and pick almost the anti-poster child version of the problem.
  #29  
Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM
dracoi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I am sure he was thinking of a missing person report. If you report some guy got grabbed and tossed in a van I seriously doubt they give it 24 hours before investigating.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Most of the parents in my circle of friends assume that no one could ever go missing if they were not kidnapped, and I fell into the same bad habit.
  #30  
Old 12-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where haggis roam free
Posts: 31,111
A local (to me) woman has just been jailed for making a false claim of sexual assault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Sheriff Richard McFarlane said the impact of such an allegation on Mr Canavan's life was "probably incalculable".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
"But in her head she does not believe she committed this offence."
  #31  
Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 PM
The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
A local (to me) woman has just been jailed for making a false claim of sexual assault.
Apparently the police spent days poring over CCTV recordings and thereby managed to, if you will, prove a negative.
  #32  
Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Frylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Making up a story ... should not generally be prosecuted.
I definitely think prosecution was bizarre in this case, but why is it that making up a story (which I take it is the same as "filing a false police report") shouldn't generally be prosecuted?

Also, btw, are you "Puzz Legal" or "Puzzle Gal"? If I can ask.
  #33  
Old 12-21-2015, 07:19 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
What about alleged victims of other crimes? Would you argue that they should be granted the same treatment, and if not why? What about a man bringing charges of a false rape accusation against the alleged victim? Should he be always trusted and never pushed or threatened, either?

Is there *never* a case when women reporting a rape should be distrusted? If there are such cases in your opinion, that should be the threshold? At which point should the police be allowed to not be so nice with the alleged victim?

Is there *ever* a case when the woman should be prosecuted for a false rape report (and presumably in this case, she would be threteaned with prosecution first)?

If you think there are such cases (that is, that at least in some cases, the false accuser should be prosecuted), and given that the police can always be mistaken in one direction or the other, should they be disciplined every time they got it wrong? Should they be disciplined also when they mistakenly believed the alleged victim and gave a difficult time to the innocent accused man? Should they be disciplined every time they were wrong for all crimes reports or only for rape, and why? For instance, should they be disciplined if they didn't believe my elderly mother who states that his neighbours are taping her phone (which is extremely unlikely) and that terrorists stole her checkbook (proven untrue since) and it turns out that indeed neighbours/terrorists victimized her?



In this particular case, besides the fact thay they were factually wrong, what makes you think that they erred so much that they deserve such discipline? What makes it an egrerious fault that requires punishment rather than a human mistake based on reasonably considered facts (troubled "victim", guardians who distrust her, lack of evidence, the "victim" saying that it might be just a dream...) that is unavoidable? What were exactly the "bad practices" in this specific case?
Pushed is one thing, but no, I don't believe people who claim to have been victimized should ever be threatened by the police. And in this case I believe the cops who threatened her should have been disciplined. If they have good evidence that a false report was filled maliciously, then it's reasonable to file charges. But there was no such evidence in this case.

They shouldn't always be automatically trusted, but that's different than threats and using adversarial tactics, in my mind - people who say the have been attacked shouldn't be adversaries of law enforcement.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #34  
Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Dangerosa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 22,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Most crimes have a false report rate of 2%. A Department of Justice report in 1997 found a false report rate for rape of 8%. A british study done by the home office found 8% and a study by the group "Making a difference" found a 7% rate in the US.
I'd really question the results of that study. From the article in the OP, the rate of unfounded accusations for cities Lynwood's size is 4.3%. Lynwood's was 21.3%. There seems to be a lot of subjectivity in what constitutes a false report. And an 18 year old study is going to be suspect - rape investigations have come a long way in two decades.
  #35  
Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 PM
SciFiSam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beffnal Green innit
Posts: 8,464
Women aren't believed partly because, IMO, people just don't want such terrible things to be true because they could happen to them or their loved ones. It's not an evil impulse. And, as the linked article above states, rapists often choose women who are less likely to be believed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMF-2L View Post
Is this story a representative example of systemic mistrust of female rape victims by the police? Indeed is there any evidence male rape victims are automatically afforded more credibility?

Here is a brief account of an equally troubled UK woman:

In ten years, since the age of 13, she has reported at least eleven rapes. All the accusations are believed to be false. The last few have seen her in court, found guilty but she continued to make the accusations until eventually she was jailed. She is typically identifying specific men as rapists because she wants to hurt them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-decade.html

Is that story definitive proof woman are believed too much? Or are both these women's stories outliers?

TCMF-2L
The first woman is the woman in the OP, who really was raped and wasn't believed.

The second woman wasn't raped and wasn't believed. I'm not sure how that's proof women are believed too much - your cite counteracts your claim.

Prosecuting Marie does seem very odd when no individual was falsely accused, no lives ruined by her accusation. It seems like it's for a waste of public resources but then more were spent prosecuting her.

It's very difficult for women - and men, in different ways which deserve different treatment - to report rape; I know there's an internet thing now of it being great to be a victim (not just of rape), because you get sympathy, but there's a reason Marie has hidden her identity; she has kids. As a victim, you are also, automatically, a suspect.
  #36  
Old 12-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where haggis roam free
Posts: 31,111
I wonder how much the trained distrust of police officers comes into it? They're trained to distrust everything until they have evidence.
  #37  
Old 12-30-2015, 10:27 PM
robert_columbia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
...How often are actual rapes dismissed by police because the victim isn't terribly confident, or is in shock, or doesn't have a perfect memory, or has a troubled past? For every incident like this that is eventually "corrected" (as much as such a blunder can possibly be), how many are not?...
A major problem with the "Let's find out the real crime rate" type questions is that we don't really have a good way to determine guilt or innocence outside of the criminal court system. If the jury says X, but you say Y, then why should I believe you? A court already ruled on it. Do you think you are smarter than them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Sadly rape is the serious crime that goes most unreported and the crime with the most false reports. Police must find a way to separate the false reports from the real ones because resources that go into investigating false reports mean real rapes may stay unsolved longer....
Another problem is that rape charges are often devastating to defendants, even if they are innocent. A sex crime charge is a social death sentence nowadays. If anyone and everyone can just cry "zomg rape!!1!!1one" and destroy the life of anyone they want to, then we, as a society, have to reign that in somehow.
  #38  
Old 12-31-2015, 07:49 AM
Shodan is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii
For every incident like this that is eventually "corrected" (as much as such a blunder can possibly be), how many are not?
ISTM that the problem with dealing with accusations of rape, as well as false accusations of rape, is that the maxim is "It is better that a hundred guilty men go free than that one innocent man is punished". Even if it is a hundred guilty rapists.

Regards,
Shodan
  #39  
Old 12-31-2015, 08:22 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
ISTM that the problem with dealing with accusations of rape, as well as false accusations of rape, is that the maxim is "It is better that a hundred guilty men go free than that one innocent man is punished". Even if it is a hundred guilty rapists.

Regards,
Shodan
But it wasn't just the perp going free, it was the woman treated so abominably. How many times are rape victims treated so poorly by police?
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #40  
Old 12-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Shodan is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,808
I don't know how often it happens. Do you have any figures?

Regards,
Shodan
  #41  
Old 12-31-2015, 09:35 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I don't know how often it happens. Do you have any figures?

Regards,
Shodan
Nope. The only way such numbers could be found, I think, would be a survey of women who have gone to the police for a rape, and that would be a tough survey (plus it would only have one side of the story, albeit the most important side).
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #42  
Old 12-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Happy Fun Ball is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The down hill slope
Posts: 3,176
I have no data, but I have an anecdote:

I know 2 girls that were raped by a stranger in a park when they were 13 years old. The rapist forced them into his car at gunpoint as they were walking home from a movie theater, took them to the park and violently raped them both including beating them with the butt of his gun. When reported to the police, the officer who dealt with their case questioned them about (among other things) their attire. Asked them if they always dressed like sluts. Asked them if they were in the habit of picking up men at the movie theater. They did not take these 13 year old girls, children really, seriously. They never caught the guy. The girl I knew woke up screaming in the middle of the night almost every night for over a year afterward. She was really messed up by this event, really changed. She was in therapy well into her 20s, was medicated, and I believe that this one event negatively effected her career opportunities and her earning potential for the rest of her life. This was in 1988, so a long time ago, but it has always shocked me that the police would treat a nice girl from a nice family in a nice suburban neighborhood like this. Just fucked up.
  #43  
Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM
DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
ISTM that the problem with dealing with accusations of rape, as well as false accusations of rape, is that the maxim is "It is better that a hundred guilty men go free than that one innocent man is punished". Even if it is a hundred guilty rapists.

Regards,
Shodan
I agree with this, and i think prosecuting false accusers is ultimately good for real victims but that same standard has to apply to false rape accusers. Unless you have some rock solid proof that they are lying they shouldn't even be threatened with prosecution.
  #44  
Old 01-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Uzi is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
....police officers should absolutely not threaten people who claim they have been victimized in any way, in my opinion.
Police shouldn't threaten anyone, victim or accused.
  #45  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:12 AM
Earl Wilson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6
you do realize that about 60% of rapes are never reported. that's something i would say is more troublesome then those that do and are treated as if they are false.
  #46  
Old 01-02-2016, 09:06 AM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Wilson View Post
you do realize that about 60% of rapes are never reported. that's something i would say is more troublesome then those that do and are treated as if they are false.
That is deduced....how?
  #47  
Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 AM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,314
Upon reading the story; I will say its sad for all concerned (though at least the serial rapist was caught; and her story was shown true). However, I fail to see the reason for outrage here, except for the later chargesheet against the complainant.. The police did investigate the claim; throughly. They identified gaps in evidence. Thats their job. The police would be amiss if they expended scarce funds, time and resources on a case like this. Do you think if it had gone to a Court, let alone to a jury, it would not have been thrown out. She stated that she was unsure whether she actually had been raped, she could name no one; they had no idea who was the perpetrator. I also find it unlikley they would have gotten authorization to use very expenive foresic tools with her so unsure; In real life unlike CSI those things cost a lot of money and take time.

What this shows is a need for greater focus on forsenic evidence collection, a reduction on witness statement and most importantly, proper victims advocates.
  #48  
Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Upon reading the story; I will say its sad for all concerned (though at least the serial rapist was caught; and her story was shown true). However, I fail to see the reason for outrage here, except for the later chargesheet against the complainant.. The police did investigate the claim; throughly. They identified gaps in evidence. Thats their job. The police would be amiss if they expended scarce funds, time and resources on a case like this. Do you think if it had gone to a Court, let alone to a jury, it would not have been thrown out. She stated that she was unsure whether she actually had been raped, she could name no one; they had no idea who was the perpetrator. I also find it unlikley they would have gotten authorization to use very expenive foresic tools with her so unsure; In real life unlike CSI those things cost a lot of money and take time.

What this shows is a need for greater focus on forsenic evidence collection, a reduction on witness statement and most importantly, proper victims advocates.
Any outrage I feel is less about the failure to successfully find the rapist (until the lucky break later) and much more about the threats against the victim, and that police treated her like an adversary (e.g. like a criminal). I think that 'earns' plenty of reasonable outrage.

If they had treated her with kindness and respect, and not threatened (much less charged!) her, then this wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem, even if they were skeptical of her claims.
  #49  
Old 01-03-2016, 03:45 AM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,709
The least they could do is a rape kit. Yes they cost $1500 but our society owes at least that to the victims.
  #50  
Old 01-03-2016, 04:36 AM
Gary Kumquat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
That is deduced....how?
Think it's sexual assault as a whole, rather than rape, but there's plenty of sources for such a claim:

Justice Department, National Crime Victimization Survey: 2008-2012.
https://rainn.org/get-information/st...eporting-rates

"Why Will Only 2 Out of Every 100 Rapists Serve Time?

The majority of sexual assault are not reported to the police (an average of 68% of assaults in the last five years were not reported).1 Those rapists, of course, will never spend a day in prison. But even when the crime is reported, it is unlike to lead to an arrest and prosecution. Factoring in unreported rapes, only about 2% of rapists will ever serve a day in prison."

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5176

"Rape and sexual assault victimizations of students (80%) were more likely than nonstudent victimizations (67%) to go unreported to police."
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017