Old 07-20-2016, 09:02 AM

"Fight" Trailer was leaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeBjmBZwhRs&list=

Will probably be a better version up soon.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:16 AM

There's some dutch company apparently claiming that the devs are using their IP to generate worlds....

They are using the "super formula" to generate organic shapes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superformula

Article:

http://zerolives.com/article/lvPVBRw...ration-formula

Any merit to this?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:27 AM

Official new "Fight" Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dOk2uBTYAE
Old 07-20-2016, 10:54 AM

Seeing the IGN demo, it deifnitley looks like there's goign to be plenty to do in the game.

Also the dev mentioned that he's shooting for 60 FPS on the PS4 too, so 60 might happen.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
Seeing the IGN demo, it deifnitley looks like there's goign to be plenty to do in the game.

Also the dev mentioned that he's shooting for 60 FPS on the PS4 too, so 60 might happen.
To be honest, I backed out of that discussion when it became obvious to me I was dealing with a PC Master Race acolyte. When someone says definitely and makes guarantees about the performance of an unreleased game you know they are not arguing honestly.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:28 PM

And before someone accuses me of being the console equivalent of PCMR, I should say that PC is my main gaming platform. I usually just stick to exclusives on console. Hell, I was playing Diablo 3 last night on PC and bought the latest 2K Humble Bundle so I could get Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

Just something about NMS makes me feel console. I'm not sure what.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
And before someone accuses me of being the console equivalent of PCMR, I should say that PC is my main gaming platform. I usually just stick to exclusives on console. Hell, I was playing Diablo 3 last night on PC and bought the latest 2K Humble Bundle so I could get Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

I own an Xbox One, therefore I too am Immune of being the opposite of a console fanboy

My guarantees were based on the fact that MOST multiplatform games have frame rate issues on the PS4. Maybe I wasn't clear enough on that point.

Sorry I offended you with my PCMR comments, like correcting you on the whole exaggerating PC port issues thing.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Branding? Pretty much every bit of footage has a big Sony logo on it.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You asked everyone if you should get the PC version, then acknowledged that would be better, but then talked yourself into the PS4 version. But.. TV! Couch!

So you were told that your PC does fine on your TV and couch too, so hey, best of all worlds, right? So you made up... but.... what about gamepad support? Even though like 95% of all multiplat games in the last decade have had the same gamepad support on all platforms.

So it just seems weird that you asked people for advice, all of your concerns were addressed, but then you insisted on making up reasons to make the wrong choice anyway. What was the point of sharing that whole exercise and asking us to participate?

Incidentally, when people say "oh this game is a shitty console port", that doesn't mean the PC version is worse. There are probably like less than a dozen cases in hundreds of games where the PC version is actually worse. The problem is that it's not better on PC by the margin we expect. Somehow people conclude "well, it's only 30% better on PC instead of the expected 120%. It must be really shitty to play on pc! I'll play on console!"
Old 07-21-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
You asked everyone if you should get the PC version, then acknowledged that would be better, but then talked yourself into the PS4 version. But.. TV! Couch!
Actually I didn't. I mentioned that I am trying to decide. Think of it as a general discussion about the game. And I don't remember acknowledging anything of the sort. I do remember saying that we know very little about the PC version (as someone else mentioned, branding is at play here. Just about all the videos have come via Sony) and it could well have the same issues as the PS4 version.

Quote:
So you were told that your PC does fine on your TV and couch too, so hey, best of all worlds, right? So you made up... but.... what about gamepad support? Even though like 95% of all multiplat games in the last decade have had the same gamepad support on all platforms.
Yes and for simpler games that works fine. However for the likes of Eliteangerous, which is a game a lot of people are comparing No Man's Sky to because, well, they are both open ended space exploration games, I could never find a decent mapping that meant I could truly leave the keyboard/mouse behind. So I have to play that at my desk, with a 360 gamepad.

Quote:
So it just seems weird that you asked people for advice, all of your concerns were addressed, but then you insisted on making up reasons to make the wrong choice anyway. What was the point of sharing that whole exercise and asking us to participate?
Again, I didn't. And my concerns are not addressed, as you can see from the previous paragraph. And, frankly, as I have not used Steam Link I am unsure how good it is (reviews seems to be "yeah, with a great PC and network it is mostly good but ...).

Quote:
Incidentally, when people say "oh this game is a shitty console port", that doesn't mean the PC version is worse. There are probably like less than a dozen cases in hundreds of games where the PC version is actually worse. The problem is that it's not better on PC by the margin we expect. Somehow people conclude "well, it's only 30% better on PC instead of the expected 120%. It must be really shitty to play on pc! I'll play on console!"
There's been plenty of crappy ports because the port was crappy, not because it was less than what was expected. Japanese developers seem to be especially good at doing this.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:35 AM

Quote:
My guarantees were based on the fact that MOST multiplatform games have frame rate issues on the PS4. Maybe I wasn't clear enough on that point.
Except for the ones that were developed first on one platform and then ported. These sort of issues are not new, they've been going on as long as there's been games. I remember as an Amiga owner continually playing crappy Atari ST ports as for a long time the ST was more popular. Graphics used less colours and the sound was the three channel tinny sort of shit you got on STs. Eventually things improved (the ST was initially cheaper and so initially sold more).

Quote:
Sorry I offended you with my PCMR comments, like correcting you on the whole exaggerating PC port issues thing.
Exaggerated in your opinion. As I said, Japanese developers, for example, have a long history of terrible PC ports. Hell, ports in general (see the "remaster" of the Silent Hill series on PS3/360/PC from 2012 that screwed up lighting, atmospheric fog, water, general loss of the grain that was an artistic decision of the original game ...).
Old 07-21-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Exaggerated in your opinion.
No. Exaggerated by any reasonable measure.

Most "bad PC ports" are "bad" because they don't offer too many feature above and beyond the console version, not because they are worse than the console version.

So when you are saying that you are worried about PC ports over their console versions, one has to wonder why. 99 times out of 100, even something a PC gamer would consider a pretty bad port is still better than the console version.

Now, if this game was being published by WB, I'd be right there with you, being worried. But this game isn't even a traditional port. It's being developed in-house by the dev, side by side with the PS4 version, and will be out day and date with that version.

This is not even a port.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 07-21-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:26 AM

New Trailer "Trade" just hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIC...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I sure am glad we can re-hash the PC vs. Console war here. Opening up any of the couple hundred other threads about it is way too much work.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
I sure am glad we can re-hash the PC vs. Console war here. Opening up any of the couple hundred other threads about it is way too much work.
Thanks for continuing to derail.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 AM

So apparently that company claiming rights to the "Superformula" does indeed own a patent on it.

Not sure what the implications might be, but it definitely looks like they mean to have a chat with HelloGames about it.

Kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-and-th...ula-1784061999

Last edited by Kinthalis; 07-22-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:47 AM

I thought you couldn't patent math formulas in the US; am I wrong?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I thought you couldn't patent math formulas in the US; am I wrong?
Apparently you can patent certain applications of the formula, like software.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:00 PM

AFAIK you can only patent software that is made for a specific purpose, not software that just does calculations. Software that does load calculations for rigging is patentable; software that just puts numbers into that formula with no other purpose can not be patented, AIUI.

Everything I've seen about the Superformula just says that the equation is patented, which tells me it's prolly not a US patent. In fact, if Hello Games created the software that uses that formula for the purpose of creating realistic CGI plants etc., they may have something patentable.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 PM

Suing using a patent that was apparently withdrawn, at that.

How many "gimme money" lawsuits will it take to sink this game?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
Suing using a patent that was apparently withdrawn, at that.

How many "gimme money" lawsuits will it take to sink this game?
Hopefully 0, cause I don't want it being delayed anymore!

Just a few more weeks.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 PM

what I meant was: this is already the 2nd BS lawsuit: Sky Network sued them over the word "Sky" already...and they settled!
Old 07-22-2016, 07:48 PM

They settled? Agh...
Old 07-22-2016, 07:55 PM

To be clear, the patenter is Belgian and Hello Games is British. While the patenter has a USPTO patent, it's also registered in other places the game is releasing. This is going to be a nightmare spanning several international completely different patent landscapes.

Some people have also found that the patenter actually had never finished filing the patent UNTIL he heard this game was using the super formula at which point he renewed it, which is apparently still legal (at least in certain EU places). So Hello may have been in the clear when they started using it (assuming they checked for a patent at all) because it was unpatented until recently.

Even so, and even if it's enforced by the courts, it's likely to be nothing more than a small licensing fee. The inventor hasn't expressed any desire to sink the game.

Last edited by Jragon; 07-22-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Just so everybody knows, somebody stole an early PS4 copy of the game and sold it on eBay for $2000. The guy posted a stream of some of the game and is posting daily screenshots, including one spoilery one today. So be aware of that if you're looking for news about it in the couple weeks until it comes out.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 PM

I'm a little concerned by how all the hype has just vanished.

I get there was some concern the game was being over-sold, but it's gone from "THIS IS THE ONLY GAME YOU WILL EVER NEED TO PLAY EVER AGAIN" to "Well, theoretically it's still coming out in a week or so. Here's a YouTube video which doesn't really show anything you didn't already know."
Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 AM

Hype in general concerns me. I realize I'm painting with a broad brush here, but in general it seems the hype train runs for either established AAA games in which case it will probably more of what's come before, for better or worse, or it runs for something new with a lot of promise but no proven track record. I feel in the latter case the game will almost never come close to meeting expectations. It's partly our fault for jumping on the train to begin with I suppose.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:21 AM

Whelp, the leak guy reached the center.

He didn't post any real spoilers, as in no story or anything, just the general pacing of the game, bugs, balance stuff, things he liked, etc. Nothing more than you'd get from a Steam review.

SPOILER:
This will be as spoiler-free as it can be, and anything I discuss here is so minimal of a spoiler that it should be disregarded.

So, I've reached the center. For now, I'll just keep it a secret. I realize it is "the secret" of the game and I'm sure other people will spill the beans for clickbait sooner than later, so fear not fellow spoiler hounds - someone out there will feed your appetite I'm sure.
I just want to dispel some misconceptions right now and clear the air on a few things before I (finally) sleep.

The Atlas Stone thing is not an "exploit." I was careful to word this so as to not spoil some stuff surrounding it, but please stop insinuating as if I found some game breaking cheat/exploit and abused it. This is NOTHING of the sort. The location of the Stones/Fuel is VERY specific, it's a VERY important location / theme in the game, none of this is by chance and they clearly meant to make it special. I said I PERSONALLY disagree with the design choice, but it's there for now and it is what it is.

The free Fuel doesn't bother me nearly as much as the units gained by the Stones. The pacing was going okay until I ran in to these and then it just skewed everything for me. Here, I'll give you hard numbers - I was selling stacks of rare resources for 20-30K. Uncommon ones maybe 5-10k. Atlas Stones sell for 275K...

Yes, there was life on every planet. Every single one. But, keep in mind, the life itself VARIED dramatically - when I found life on the "Fauna: None" planets, it was seriously stupid shit like prairie dogs. I wasn't encountering giant rhinos or anything. I THINK, although I could be wrong, but I THINK Sean's "90% of planets are bone dry" comment was in reference to planets LOADED with life. Or they just changed their mind last second - who knows.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, I have done A LOT of what the game has to offer. I actually intentionally took time out of my warp jumping over the course of going to the middle to explore planets to break up the monotony of it. This does not mean I have done all of the major events, however - I am still yet to swim to the bottom of a big ocean. I am still yet to destroy a space station. I definitely still have stuff to do.

Another gripe I have right now with the claims on the game before release is this whole "it gets weirder the closer to the middle you get." If you're like me, you expected some seriously obvious inclinations that this was happening as you progressed, and for me... I haven't seen much in the way of difference as I went. The ONLY ONLY ONLY big difference, and honestly the only reason I pushed it so hard, was the weapon crates you saw in the Trade video with the guns for trade improve in quality as you go further in. So, for me, my basic logic was... the sooner I get to the area at the middle, the sooner I have the best multi tool, so why wait?

Here's a HUGE gripe for me at the moment. I'm going to list some bugs at the bottom and I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but holy shit has this been annoying. I've "upgraded" my suit to unlock all available inventory slots possible. I've found and bought what I "think" is a multi tool with the maximum amount of slots available in the game. However, ships HAVE NOT IMPROVED AT ALL throughout the entire course of the game. This is not a joke. I am at the point now where my PERSONAL SUIT has something like 3-4x the total inventory / module slots as my fuckin ship. That seems wrong to me.

There are bugs. Quite a few in fact. In some moments I really start to feel as if this game would have benefited from a beta test. PRAY for a Day 1 patch, not only to nerf the sale cost of Atlas Stones but also to address some of this shit too:

Currently, Beam Upgrades for your multi tool seem broken and ass backwards. Upgrades that are supposed to slow down the heat up of your beam, actually speed it up. Upgrades that are supposed to speed up the mining speed of the beam, actually slow it down. Essentially, your STARTING beam is as powerful as it can be, and if you upgrade it with +1 +2 +3 beam upgrade modules it becomes UNUSABLE. This would, in theory, mean that the fully upgraded beam is actually the beam you're supposed to START with, which would mean my early exploration would have gone a LOT slower.

Sea creatures spawn in shallow water completely vertical stuck in the ground. This isn't like a one time bug thing either, 80% of the large sea creatures have spawned this way, which is a super bummer for me because sea creatures are my favorite and I can't even appropriately scan them or even naked eye view them when this happens.

I've had the game full on crash to PS4 menu something like 20 times now. Usually when I'm warp jumping. No joke. Save your game a lot kids, you'll be pissed if you don't.
Again, not finding ship upgrades has been super frustrating. Is it a bug? Is the game not spawning better ship module inventories like it's supposed to? Are we actually just supposed to have ships with 1/4th the total inventory of our suit? What gives HG, c'mon.

This entire post isn't even actually a review or anything, this is just addressing a lot of major points people keep bringing up. Once I complete other things like engaging in big scale battles, I'll make a final review.
Oh, and I didn't even pop a trophy for hitting the center. C'mon man...

Last edited by Jragon; 07-31-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
Whelp, the leak guy reached the center.

He didn't post any real spoilers, as in no story or anything, just the general pacing of the game, bugs, balance stuff, things he liked, etc. Nothing more than you'd get from a Steam review.

SPOILER:
This will be as spoiler-free as it can be, and anything I discuss here is so minimal of a spoiler that it should be disregarded.

So, I've reached the center. For now, I'll just keep it a secret. I realize it is "the secret" of the game and I'm sure other people will spill the beans for clickbait sooner than later, so fear not fellow spoiler hounds - someone out there will feed your appetite I'm sure.
I just want to dispel some misconceptions right now and clear the air on a few things before I (finally) sleep.

The Atlas Stone thing is not an "exploit." I was careful to word this so as to not spoil some stuff surrounding it, but please stop insinuating as if I found some game breaking cheat/exploit and abused it. This is NOTHING of the sort. The location of the Stones/Fuel is VERY specific, it's a VERY important location / theme in the game, none of this is by chance and they clearly meant to make it special. I said I PERSONALLY disagree with the design choice, but it's there for now and it is what it is.

The free Fuel doesn't bother me nearly as much as the units gained by the Stones. The pacing was going okay until I ran in to these and then it just skewed everything for me. Here, I'll give you hard numbers - I was selling stacks of rare resources for 20-30K. Uncommon ones maybe 5-10k. Atlas Stones sell for 275K...

Yes, there was life on every planet. Every single one. But, keep in mind, the life itself VARIED dramatically - when I found life on the "Fauna: None" planets, it was seriously stupid shit like prairie dogs. I wasn't encountering giant rhinos or anything. I THINK, although I could be wrong, but I THINK Sean's "90% of planets are bone dry" comment was in reference to planets LOADED with life. Or they just changed their mind last second - who knows.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, I have done A LOT of what the game has to offer. I actually intentionally took time out of my warp jumping over the course of going to the middle to explore planets to break up the monotony of it. This does not mean I have done all of the major events, however - I am still yet to swim to the bottom of a big ocean. I am still yet to destroy a space station. I definitely still have stuff to do.

Another gripe I have right now with the claims on the game before release is this whole "it gets weirder the closer to the middle you get." If you're like me, you expected some seriously obvious inclinations that this was happening as you progressed, and for me... I haven't seen much in the way of difference as I went. The ONLY ONLY ONLY big difference, and honestly the only reason I pushed it so hard, was the weapon crates you saw in the Trade video with the guns for trade improve in quality as you go further in. So, for me, my basic logic was... the sooner I get to the area at the middle, the sooner I have the best multi tool, so why wait?

Here's a HUGE gripe for me at the moment. I'm going to list some bugs at the bottom and I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but holy shit has this been annoying. I've "upgraded" my suit to unlock all available inventory slots possible. I've found and bought what I "think" is a multi tool with the maximum amount of slots available in the game. However, ships HAVE NOT IMPROVED AT ALL throughout the entire course of the game. This is not a joke. I am at the point now where my PERSONAL SUIT has something like 3-4x the total inventory / module slots as my fuckin ship. That seems wrong to me.

There are bugs. Quite a few in fact. In some moments I really start to feel as if this game would have benefited from a beta test. PRAY for a Day 1 patch, not only to nerf the sale cost of Atlas Stones but also to address some of this shit too:

Currently, Beam Upgrades for your multi tool seem broken and ass backwards. Upgrades that are supposed to slow down the heat up of your beam, actually speed it up. Upgrades that are supposed to speed up the mining speed of the beam, actually slow it down. Essentially, your STARTING beam is as powerful as it can be, and if you upgrade it with +1 +2 +3 beam upgrade modules it becomes UNUSABLE. This would, in theory, mean that the fully upgraded beam is actually the beam you're supposed to START with, which would mean my early exploration would have gone a LOT slower.

Sea creatures spawn in shallow water completely vertical stuck in the ground. This isn't like a one time bug thing either, 80% of the large sea creatures have spawned this way, which is a super bummer for me because sea creatures are my favorite and I can't even appropriately scan them or even naked eye view them when this happens.

I've had the game full on crash to PS4 menu something like 20 times now. Usually when I'm warp jumping. No joke. Save your game a lot kids, you'll be pissed if you don't.
Again, not finding ship upgrades has been super frustrating. Is it a bug? Is the game not spawning better ship module inventories like it's supposed to? Are we actually just supposed to have ships with 1/4th the total inventory of our suit? What gives HG, c'mon.

This entire post isn't even actually a review or anything, this is just addressing a lot of major points people keep bringing up. Once I complete other things like engaging in big scale battles, I'll make a final review.
Oh, and I didn't even pop a trophy for hitting the center. C'mon man...
Well, that is disappointing. He reached the center in, what, 2 days? I was expecting weeks, or even months to get there. This, of all things, diminishes my interest in the game.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
Well, that is disappointing. He reached the center in, what, 2 days? I was expecting weeks, or even months to get there. This, of all things, diminishes my interest in the game.
Elsewhere, later, he said that though he has reached the center, he is still intently playing the game--it keeps drawing him back in. So that's good.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:50 PM

Personally, I take a lot of the things the guy says with a grain, not because I think he's being dishonest but because in the 26 minute gameplay video he did post, he kept missing obvious things that were right on the screen, and failing to follow up on things that seemed really clearly interesting and must-follow-up-y. This indicates to me he may not be the most observant player, which means that his observations are probably very incomplete.

Having said that, I also think that people have way overhyped the game in their minds, and created some frankly bizarre and unsupported expectations about it. (Some are just deeply, deeply, angrily disappointed that you can't get out of your ship while in space, others are saying things like "I really hope this game nails gravity!")

I pre-ordered it, but am keeping expectations low. What he _has_ confirmed is that the visual and aural scapes continue to impress throughout his experience, and honestly that's kind of all I think the game is "really about" so that keeps me happy.

Last edited by Frylock; 07-31-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:17 PM

Understood but, for me, once I achieve the stated objective of a game, my interest in it drops to practically zero almost instantaneously, even if there are ostensibly other things to do. If the game is able to be completed in a couple of days, I am not sure it is worth my time or my 60 bucks.

I was going to purchase NMS on the day it became available to the public, now I will probably wait to hear reviews from other purchasers before making a decision.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:51 PM

I don't really care about hype. Hype, unless the game is out on early access or some such, is the likely result of marketing. Who gives a shit how much money Sony spent on commercials and "influencers".

Marketing does not a good game make.

That he reached the center in a few days, does concern me a bit.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:39 PM

Funny, there were some guys on another forum (Steam I think?) who were just...... outraged!!!! that the leaked gameplay footage was almost exactly like the game the developers had been showing us for the last year.

Almost like they were so used to being crapped on by devs. and publishers making insane claims about a game and delivering something else that the concept of someone telling them the truth about what they were going to deliver was an anathema.

I don't get the 'race to the centre' thing myself as there appears to be so much more to do in the game. To quote from another forum:

Quote:
- There are several NPC races (we don't know how many). Every one has a different standing with each other. Some will be at full-on war with each other. If you kill loads of a certain race, that race will dislike you and aggro you - while the races they're at war with will like you and help you out. You can play politics and the 'war economy'

- You can trade with NPCs on space stations and on planet-side settlements. You can trade for resources, materials, weapons, upgrades and schematics.

- To speak with NPCs successfully, you need to learn their language. This comes from reading 'Monoliths' on planets where they live - that is, reading their cultural writings. You might learn a word or two from each one, and these words will crop up in the NPC's dialogue. You can work out other words from context and keep notice

- If you say the wrong thing or try to speak a language you don't know, you can damage your standing with that race

- It's not officially confirmed, but we're 90% sure that you can 'hire' members of friendly NPC races as wing men. We don't know if there's an upper limit. You might be able to assemble a fleet of NPCs as wingmen and assault larger space stations.

- You can kill and rob NPCs of money/resources/schematics. You can blow up their ships like a pirate, or assault their on-planet bases. You can also hack into on-planet bases, like using stealth. Obviously these activities will aggro the race and lower your standing with them

- Certain resources/items will be more valuable with particular races. From recent trailers we saw items which are mainly valuable for electronic lifeforms. Could be items like this would be worth a lot more to a sentient robot, for example.
I've seen at least one video where you can discover a crashed and derelict ship that you can loot for tech and supplies - something I've wanted to do since I got a copy of Spacewreck when I was a kid.

Last edited by Battle Pope; 07-31-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't really care about hype. Hype, unless the game is out on early access or some such, is the likely result of marketing. Who gives a shit how much money Sony spent on commercials and "influencers".

Marketing does not a good game make.

That he reached the center in a few days, does concern me a bit.
I'm kinda curious why you preorderd it if you think marketing and hype are irrelevant, since those are pretty much the only reasons the preorder the game. Well, a third one is "I really like everything this dev makes" I suppose, but that's not the case here, since this is essentially their first game.

Of course I don't understand why anyone preorders anything at full price - there's no physical scarcity, your copy is there whenever you want it - you might as well wait a few hours while the reviews are posted, twitch streams are started, etc.

(The one exception to this is if you get a discount. I ordered Planet Coaster because I'm 90% sure I'm going to get it, and by ordering now it's $30 instead of $50-60. If more publishers offered preorder discounts, I'd understand. But as it is, there's no advantage to preordering, it's all risk)

This has Spore written all over it to me. Overly ambitious, super hyped, new sorts of gameplay. But Spore even had Will Wright and the Maxis team. This is the first real game of a new indie studio with like 15 guys. They've been evasive about answering questions about gameplay and promises made a couple of years ago. This may end up being a decent indie game, but I can't see it possibly living up to the hype and being worth $60.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 PM

Interestingly, the mods at No Man's Sky are saying they think, based on evidence listed in their post, that the leaker is unknowingly using an old demo copy of the game and not the final release: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...at_the_leaked/
Old 07-31-2016, 06:39 PM

A lot of what the mods say in that post is not very strong as evidence for their claim, but a few things I do find significant:

Planets that say "no fauna" when scanned, yet have fauna on them nevertheless. Meanwhile, it was apparently said by Sean at some point (I haven't seen this for myself though) that for demo copies they made it where all planets had life on them.

An insert was included inside the disc's packaging giving a release date.

A weird apparent bug wherein upgrading the multitool actually makes it worse along exactly the dimenstion it was supposed to be improved. This sounds like the game might be a special version just meant for seeing the opening stages of gameplay, with a souped up starting multitool, so that "upgrades" turn out to be downgrades.

SPOILER:
The bizarre free fuel and free hugely profitable resources at one point sound like a possible tool for speeding things up for demo purposes.

Those four things, at least, make me think it's might be possible what the redditor saw was not actually representative of the released game.

We'll know in about a week...
Old 07-31-2016, 08:55 PM

None of those strike me as particularly egregious launch bugs, especially in this age of 0-day patches.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm kinda curious why you preorderd it if you think marketing and hype are irrelevant, since those are pretty much the only reasons the preorder the game.
The concept of the game is interesting enough without the hype.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
I'm kinda curious why you preorderd it if you think marketing and hype are irrelevant, since those are pretty much the only reasons the preorder the game. Well, a third one is "I really like everything this dev makes" I suppose, but that's not the case here, since this is essentially their first game.

Of course I don't understand why anyone preorders anything at full price - there's no physical scarcity, your copy is there whenever you want it - you might as well wait a few hours while the reviews are posted, twitch streams are started, etc.

(The one exception to this is if you get a discount. I ordered Planet Coaster because I'm 90% sure I'm going to get it, and by ordering now it's $30 instead of $50-60. If more publishers offered preorder discounts, I'd understand. But as it is, there's no advantage to preordering, it's all risk)

This has Spore written all over it to me. Overly ambitious, super hyped, new sorts of gameplay. But Spore even had Will Wright and the Maxis team. This is the first real game of a new indie studio with like 15 guys. They've been evasive about answering questions about gameplay and promises made a couple of years ago. This may end up being a decent indie game, but I can't see it possibly living up to the hype and being worth $60.
Mostly 'cause of Steam's refund policy.

I love space games. I love exploration games. so I know this game is probably going to be appealing to me. This is a way to secure those extra pre-order goodies without much risk.

If reviews tank it, and my 2 hours of gameplay don't change what I hear, I can just refund it.

I wouldn't have pre-ordered before Steam refunds, unless, as you said, the hype had gotten to me, and it was 20% off on greenman gaming

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-01-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post

Those four things, at least, make me think it's might be possible what the redditor saw was not actually representative of the released game.
That... certainly sounds plausible. I'd been kind of dismissing the claims of it being a demo release, but those four things do sound exactly like what you'd do for a demo version. They'd also explain how he was supposedly able to finish the game in 30 hours.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
That... certainly sounds plausible. I'd been kind of dismissing the claims of it being a demo release, but those four things do sound exactly like what you'd do for a demo version. They'd also explain how he was supposedly able to finish the game in 30 hours.
There is another stream out there from another player who got the game early which doesn't have the issues the first guy was getting. Who knows what the truth is?

What I've seem still looks exactly like the game I've wanted for a long time so I'm happy.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Does getting to the center of the galaxy "finish" the game? I was under the impression that it was a huge sandbox you just dick around in indefinitely. Like you could drive to the center of the USA In a couple days, but it's not the same thing as exploring it.

Also, FWIW, I don't like the "floating in colored fog" look of outer space. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when I see games or movies that depict outer space as anything but mostly black star field. I think it's supposed to be gas clouds or nebulae or whatever, but AFAIK, gas clouds in space aren't like terrestrial rain clouds that obstruct your view. They are typically light years across and are only visible from great distances away. I don't think you would actually know that you were flying through a cloud of space dust just by looking out the window.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Does getting to the center of the galaxy "finish" the game? I was under the impression that it was a huge sandbox you just dick around in indefinitely. Like you could drive to the center of the USA In a couple days, but it's not the same thing as exploring it.
You can, but they've said for a long time that the "goal" they drive your towards is the center of the universe and something is big there. You can wander around for the rest of your life (literally) discovering new planets and lifeforms, but the game does have some secret waiting there and a GPS on your map constantly telling you which way to go to get there.

Quote:
Also, FWIW, I don't like the "floating in colored fog" look of outer space. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when I see games or movies that depict outer space as anything but mostly black star field. I think it's supposed to be gas clouds or nebulae or whatever, but AFAIK, gas clouds in space aren't like terrestrial rain clouds that obstruct your view. They are typically light years across and are only visible from great distances away. I don't think you would actually know that you were flying through a cloud of space dust just by looking out the window.
They've said that their art design for the game is the covers of '60s Sci-Fi novels. They've said that's a big part of why the planets, creatures, and even space looks the way it does. They're explicitly aiming for a lot of pretty, bold colors everywhere, whether it's in any way realistic or not. In fact, they said they're not considering realism at all when going for the art design (except really necessary things like how all the creatures look like plausible, if alien, lifeforms with symmetrical shapes and such).
Old 08-02-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post

Also, FWIW, I don't like the "floating in colored fog" look of outer space.
I don't care for that look either, but as JRagon said, that's the look they decided on.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post

They've said that their art design for the game is the covers of '60s Sci-Fi novels. They've said that's a big part of why the planets, creatures, and even space looks the way it does. They're explicitly aiming for a lot of pretty, bold colors everywhere, whether it's in any way realistic or not. In fact, they said they're not considering realism at all when going for the art design (except really necessary things like how all the creatures look like plausible, if alien, lifeforms with symmetrical shapes and such).
Yep lemme clear up one of the biggest misconceptions some people have about this game (and I really don't know where they get this idea--it's based on nothing that was ever said by the devs or marketers): This game is in no sense whatsoever at all any kind of simulation of the world we live in.

Planets are so close together you can easily see them as giant giant discs in the sky from other planets.

Rocks float. Not because anyone did anything, they just do.

It does not appear planets are even properly "in orbit" -- as far as we've been able to see, they just kind of hang around in a clump near their sun.

Your ship continues to use fuel even while coasting in space, under regular old newtonian forces.

No planet has anything resembling an ecology.

Every world is a single giant biome.

A bunch of other stuff.

Don't come to the game expecting any brand of realism whatsoever. That is far from what the game is for or about.

I think it's best to think of the game as being about exploring a cool procedural space in both visual and aural terms, and as being about loneliness. It's not about space, it's not about planets, and it's not about science.

Last edited by Frylock; 08-03-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

There seems to be some discrepancy on the PC release date. Steam is saying August 9 (US, at least), but apparently the NMS official site is saying PS4 August 9, PC August 12 (I can't access their site from work to verify).

Just a word of caution in case any PCers are planning their vacation...
Old 08-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Lots of streamers right now streaming early copies of the game on twitch... so watch out for spoilers, or enjoy!
Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Interesting (and encouraging) thing about those streams: I've now seen dozens of planets through them, and not once have I thought "meh, I've seen all that before." There's something new and cool on _every planet_ so far.

Given we're seeing effectively a random sampling, this is an encouraging sign. It would be hugely surprising if there was a sudden drop-off of interesting new stuff starting any time soon.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Interesting (and encouraging) thing about those streams: I've now seen dozens of planets through them, and not once have I thought "meh, I've seen all that before." There's something new and cool on _every planet_ so far.

Given we're seeing effectively a random sampling, this is an encouraging sign. It would be hugely surprising if there was a sudden drop-off of interesting new stuff starting any time soon.
Yeah, watched an hour of the Kotaku stream and every one of the three planets they hit was different and interesting. Now at some point, the differences may end up being irrelevant when you are focused on grinding minerals, but if you want explore worlds, it seems like you can spend a lot of time doing that.