Old 01-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
I've loved Ted Danson since Cheers and he's still got the chops.
If you haven't seen it, you need to watch Bored To Death. Danson is hilarious as George Christopher.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
If you haven't seen it, you need to watch Bored To Death. Danson is hilarious as George Christopher.
Bored to Death is criminally underrated. I'm constantly disappointed that nobody seems to have heard of it.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:14 AM

I have never heard of that show. I guess because it was on HBO which I only get during Game of Thrones and then cancel. But Amazon has the seasons on Prime video and DVD/Blue-Ray and they all have 4-5 stars with a couple thousand reviews. SO yeah when I get some extra money I'll definitely be checking this out.

I checked NetFlix streaming and they weren't offering it.

Thanks for the heads up guys.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Bored to Death is criminally underrated. I'm constantly disappointed that nobody seems to have heard of it.
Wonderful show. Was it the first major role he had in his older incarnation? It was definitely the first one that I saw him in.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 01-26-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Wonderful show. Was it the first major role he had in his older incarnation? It was definitely the first one that I saw him in.
I suppose that depends on if you count Becker as older or not.

Agreed on the Bored to Death love. Super fun, and my favorite Danson role (though Michael is starting to give it a run for its money.)
Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
No, his latter-day renaissance began with Damages.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
I suppose that depends on if you count Becker as older or not.
I could have sworn he had grey hair in Becker, loved that show, but I went to IMDB and the photos they have show him as having brown hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
No, his latter-day renaissance began with Damages.
Holy crap. Glenn Close, Ted Danson, Judd Hirsch, Martin Short, William Hurt, Mario Van Peebles, John Goodman, (love that man), Lily Tomlin, Darrel Hammond, Jenna Elfman.

I haven't heard of this show either. What did they just create it to give everyone in Hollywood a job. It's like Oprah. "You get some episodes and you get some episodes and you get some episodes and you get some episodes."
Old 01-26-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I haven't heard of this show either. What did they just create it to give everyone in Hollywood a job. It's like Oprah. "You get some episodes and you get some episodes and you get some episodes and you get some episodes."
In addition to putting "old Ted Danson" on the map, Damages also legitimized FX as a quality network. It answered the question "Was 'The Shield' a fluke?" with authority.

At that point in time (2007) The Shield was solid, but Rescue Me and Nip/Tuck seemed to cloud the network vision of itself. Was this a dramedy channel? Dark humor? Sudsy soaps?

Then Damages came along and presaged the direction FX was heading in, typified by Justified, The Americans, and Fargo.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 01-26-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I could have sworn he had grey hair in Becker, loved that show, but I went to IMDB and the photos they have show him as having brown hair.

Holy crap. Glenn Close, Ted Danson, Judd Hirsch, Martin Short, William Hurt, Mario Van Peebles, John Goodman, (love that man), Lily Tomlin, Darrel Hammond, Jenna Elfman.

It was actually filmed in New York. A friend of mine had a recurring role as Patrick.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I'll have to check Damages out now. Looking at his credits on IMDB, he started on that show right after Curb Your Enthusiasm. He was good in that, too.

Last edited by blondebear; 01-26-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll have to check Damages out now.
Good decision. Damages was fantastic.

Glenn Close was particularly impressive. And it was the first time I saw Rose Byrne and thought she also did a great job.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM

Just watched the end, and was suitably stunned by the reveal.

One little detail that I hope was intentional was a thing that had been bothering me all season long before the reveal: Michael consistently mispronounced the names of the main characters: "El-e-nur" instead of "EL-e-nore" and "Cheedy" instead of "Chidi." It mildly irritated me every time I heard it, because surely a divine angel would go through the effort to pronounce someone's name the way they themselves pronounce it, but I just assumed it was a quirk of Ted Danson's speech pattern and ignored it.

Except knowing what I know now: wouldn't that be a marvelously subtle way to torment someone? Slightly mispronounce their name - just a large enough error to be annoying, but a small enough error that they'd feel petty and ungrateful correcting you. Repeat over 1000 years. I really hope this was on purpose.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Just a side note any marshmallows out there--there is talk from Rob Thomas about the possibility of a new Veronica Mars mini-series, which would be a very good thing indeed. (If you enjoyed Kristen's work in The Good Place, you should definitely check out Veronica Mars).
Marshmallows?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
Marshmallows?
It's what VM fans call themselves.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
I can't go back and check now, but the scene where Michael kicked a dog into the sun wasn't witnessed by the main 4, was it? If not, what was the in-universe point to that scene?
I just rewatched that episode, and Tahani and Jason are both there and witness the whole interaction.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

It's official -- The Good Place has been renewed.

Fork yes!

Last edited by RealityChuck; 01-30-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
It's official -- The Good Place has been renewed.

Fork yes!
Shirt yeah!
Old 01-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Ooh yeah, that's good forking news.

Wait, you guys know that I'm trying to type 'forking,' right?

FORK THIS BOARD.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Motherforking shirtballs! Great news!

I'm off for some frozen yogurt. Anyone else want to come?

StG
Old 01-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Motherforking shirtballs! Great news!

StG
Get me some shirtballs flavor, so I can eat it with my motherfork.

Six seasons and a movie!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Why would I want to go to hell ?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Tamerlane - It's The Good Place, not Sunnydale.

StG
Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 PM

An intriguing review of The Good Place appears in the Feb 6 issue of the New Yorker and is also online:
Dystopia in “The Good Place”
Quote:
The follow-up to “Parks and Recreation” started as a daffy screwball comedy and ended as something uncomfortably appropriate for our apocalyptic era.
There was something warped about the details—would Heaven really be so mall-like, so blandly Whole Foods?—but it was easy to shrug off the discomfort as the growing pains of a new sitcom. This lent a double whammy to the reveal, since it forced us to grieve for our own naïveté. We were suckers, too.
On earth, Eleanor might have been a selfish loner, but in Hell she was an existential rebel, the woman who found a way to get kinder in a system designed to make her mean.
It's a pretty long piece (it is the New Yorker, after all). It may be taking the show a little more seriously than it needs to be, it was a fun show, after all, but the review struck a nerve for me. I know my jaw kind of dropped open and I yelled "oh no!" at the big reveal, but I couldn't quite put into words why it so affected me. I think the author of this review has kind of captured what happened.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:32 PM

Here's a fun little Easter Egg. I know it's just an Easter Egg, and any crossover would be limited to fan fiction, but I think Leslie Knope would have a good shot at being the 2nd US President to end up in the Good Place.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:41 PM

Wait ... was the Mindy St. Claire actually a real person in a real separate "place"? After the reveal, I assumed that the "escape" was part of the psychological torture and Mindy St. Claire was just another demon acting like a human.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 PM

Michael and Shawn, even when alone, spoke as if they didn't know where they all were when they were hiding. I think it was real.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:25 PM

Just finished watching it today. The season finale was excellent, and actually made me like the previous episodes more.

It looks like it got renewed! http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/go...al-nbc-comedy/
Old 02-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Shut the fork up!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

So, my wife an I randomly decided to binge-watch this show. Neither of us knew much about it except that I had heard it was surprisingly good, and since Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn 99 are two of our favorite shows ever we decided to give it a try. Holy forking shirtballs did we like it - each time we sat down to watch an episode we ended up watching four in a row. Sad when we reached the end of the season, but really glad we only have to wait about two weeks for season 2 to start. No idea how we will last having to wait a week in between chapters.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:30 PM

Just binge re-watched the show in anticipation of the new season. Just some thoughts:

(1) Anyone notice that in the brief glimpse of the Good Place 2.0 that the frozen yogurt stores have been replaced by pizza places, with names like "Perfect Temperature Pizza" and "All the Right Toppings"?
(2) We never found out how Tahani died.
(3) My current theory is that Michael can erase his victims conscious memory, but not their subconscious (or soul?). Each time through the cycle Eleanor improves herself a little bit until finally her ethical level is high enough that the last time she wakes up she is really in the good place.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM

Glad to see a thread on this show. In fact, I just discovered it. With no more "Twin Peaks", I was looking for something off-beat to watch on Sunday nights and on a whim I checked this out. I couldn't stop watching it! The show is different, off-beat, engaging, and rarity of rarity, laugh-out-loud funny.

I guessed the big twist of the finale about one episode before it actually occurred. Something about it made me think of that old "Twilight Zone" episode and I realized it was the same gimmick. But they still pulled it off brilliantly.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:02 PM

I've been rewatching this in anticipation of the new season (new season - yay!) and it's really, really impressive how well everything still fits when you know the big twist at the end.

I saw a spoiler-free review of the first few episodes of the new season and it was very favorable. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Just a heads-up that season 2 starts tonight (at 10 PM, for some reason.)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Just binge re-watched the show in anticipation of the new season. Just some thoughts:

(1) Anyone notice that in the brief glimpse of the Good Place 2.0 that the frozen yogurt stores have been replaced by pizza places, with names like "Perfect Temperature Pizza" and "All the Right Toppings"?
(2) We never found out how Tahani died.
(3) My current theory is that Michael can erase his victims conscious memory, but not their subconscious (or soul?). Each time through the cycle Eleanor improves herself a little bit until finally her ethical level is high enough that the last time she wakes up she is really in the good place.
I read an article that said that this version of the "Good Place" is gonna be slightly more diabolical - a fountain that oozes creamed corn and (horror of horrors!) all the pizza places only serve Hawaiian pizza.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Just started watching season 2. "Fire up the penis flattner".
Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Drat, missed it. I even looked at the tv schedule. Obviously not well enough.

Brian
Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

Brian
Ted Danson is the one being tortured tonight.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Ted Danson is the one being tortured tonight.
Indeed, he seems quite miserable. I wonder if it's actually been his bad place all along!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Just started watching season 2. "Fire up the penis flattner".
Butthole spiders. Large butthole spiders.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Indeed, he seems quite miserable. I wonder if it's actually been his bad place all along!
Now that would be a twist.

Loved the variations in circumstances of each of the four, and how it changed their personalities, and how quickly they caught on to what was going on. I don't think they are torturers assigned to Danson, because they were figuring things out when Danson wasn't looking. I think.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 AM

They might not be in on it. Maybe Sean is manipulating everything behind the scenes.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

I also found it interesting that the "actors" are causing problems and being rebellious. Maybe Ted is the one being tortured.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

The punishment for philosophers is to be given a final exam in a course they've never taken.

While naked.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
The punishment for philosophers is to be given a final exam in a course they've never taken.

While naked.
Of course, Ted isn't exactly a reliable narrator.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Loved what they did with the narrative -- and that they didn't drag things out (which would have been very tedious). Eleanor figured out the situation quickly.

I also loved how Chidi was handled -- first he was being forced to make a choice right off the bat, then they announce his soulmate is not the one he clearly had everything in common with. And Real Eleanor complaining that she had a bit part.

I also agree that Michael is being tortured here, too. He's starting the lie to Sean, which puts him exactly in the position Eleanor was in the first season premiere: afraid the truth would be found out.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I guessed the big twist of the finale about one episode before it actually occurred. Something about it made me think of that old "Twilight Zone" episode and I realized it was the same gimmick. But they still pulled it off brilliantly.
Can someone give a summary of what happened (within spoiler tags)? I was watching the show at the beginning, but forgot about it when they took a winter break.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Can someone give a summary of what happened (within spoiler tags)? I was watching the show at the beginning, but forgot about it when they took a winter break.
SPOILER:

Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani, and Jason are all actually in the Bad Place, having been chosen specifically to torture one another. Everyone else in the village are demons playing a part to drive the four main characters into constant conflict.

Our heroes eventually figure this out, and confront Michael, who admits defeat. Then he erases their memories and resolves to do it better next time.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:48 PM

This show always goes by so quickly; it's one of network television's crown jewels.

I agree that the second season premiere was impressive and fun. Poor Tahani seemed to suffer most (though perhaps she's discovered a 'keeper' in cargo pants).

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

Brian
It is available for free on the NBC web site. No sign-up or login required:

https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/v...-great/3585089
Old 09-21-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
They might not be in on it. Maybe Sean is manipulating everything behind the scenes.
Agreed. I can see him doing this to Michael for his own amusement. Or maybe Michael's already been retired.

Quote:
I also found it interesting that the "actors" are causing problems and being rebellious. Maybe Ted is the one being tortured.
I'm sure every TV showrunner ever can relate to him.