Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM

Right, my point is that they're not MORE evil than the Soviet government, they're agents of that government (whether permanently employed or on a job-for-hire basis), so their level is basically equal, whether you consider it to be in a good light or not. The villains in Octopussy and The Living Daylights, on the other hand, are clearly being portrayed as more evil than the Soviet government.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM

The TV series Men Into Space (1959-1960) has a couple episodes with Russian cosmonauts. They're portrayed as normal people.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

The Six Million Dollar Man had an episode where Gary Collins portrayed a Soviet cosmonaut as a good guy. In the "Venus probe" episodes, the Soviet spies were portrayed more as "bureaucrat" than "monster".
Old 01-10-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
I haven't seen WarGames for 30 years, but were any Soviets shown at all in the entire movie?

I remember it made the U.S. military out to be incompetent fools and trigger-happy warmongers, but I can't remember any foreign forces depicted.

(I am now currently trying to remember if it was with Ally Sheedy or Elisabeth Shue, resisting the temptation to look it up)
This is completely backward. The movie portrayed the military personal as reasonable and competent (as well as the Soviets by reference as they hadn't done anything wrong); it was the civilian scientists (especially the Dabney Coleman character) that were insisting the automated systems were infallible and pushed for military escalation. The civilians were also demanding harsh treatment towards the Matthew Broderick character, insisting he had to be a foreign agent since their systems were too perfect to allow a mere kid to hack into them. The military treats him relatively decently, all things considered.

And when Falken returns to NORAD, McKittrick immediately tries to discredit him but General Beringer has none of it and takes Falken's speech, appealing to Beringer's humanity, to heart. Beringer couldn't be happier to stand down, and couldn't show more anguish when forced to order the bombers back to fail-safe.

"God damn it I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good. Let the boy in there Major."
Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 PM

The Bob Clampett Loony Toons cartoon Russian Rhapsody had a very positive view of the "Gremlins From the Kremlin".
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 PM

One that hasn't been mentioned that came to me early on was Hopscotch, from 1980, with Walter Matthau playing a US CIA agent working against the Russians, but also on a friendly basis with his opposite number, played by Herbert Lom. Compared with the US Agents chasing him (led by Ned Beatty), the Russian is much more of a gentleman than they.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Right, my point is that they're not MORE evil than the Soviet government, they're agents of that government (whether permanently employed or on a job-for-hire basis), so their level is basically equal, whether you consider it to be in a good light or not.
And my point is that they're more interested in money rather than ideals. If you recall, Kristatos intended to sell the ATAC to Gogol even though that's who hired him. Gogol could have let his man shoot at Bond but didn't.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-11-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 PM

Not American or a Film (later made into a film, but not a coldwar one though) but Smilie's KGB nemesis Karla in the La Carre books is a very sympathetic character, not a villain by any means.

SPOILER:

In fact the book ends with Smilie being disappointed that he eventually convinces him to defect (by threatening him with knowledge of what he's done to protect his daughter).

Last edited by griffin1977; 01-11-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin1977 View Post
Not American or a Film (later made into a film, but not a coldwar one though) but Smilie's KGB nemesis Karla in the La Carre books is a very sympathetic character, not a villain by any means.
On TV, he was played by Patrick "Jean-Luc Picard" Stewart.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Also For Your Eyes Only, in which a Greek drug smuggler, a Cuban hit man, a Belgian hit man, and an East German biathelete are much worse than the Russians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Skywatcher:

They're working for the Soviets, so I don't see how they're portrayed as worse than them.
BUMPED
Rewatchng FYEO, as far as I can tell, they are simply trying to do whats best for the USSR, nothing evil per se. Getting hold of enemy equipment is a standard part of statecraft,
Old 09-01-2019, 05:56 AM

SUPERMAN II: the current lunar mission has an American astronaut and a Russian cosmonaut working side-by-side, collecting geological (selenological?) samples and sparking the occasional joke about détente; when all of a sudden the Kryptonian criminals, just now freed from the Phantom Zone, show up and soon realize that humanity consists of conquerable people who can be torn apart like tissue paper.

After some death and destruction, the villains leave the moon for the Earth: briefly carrying both the American and Russian flags as they fly off, but only long enough to dismissively dump the trash of two nations — this one star-spangled, and that one showing the hammer and sickle — on the lunar-lander wreckage.

Speaking as someone who was a little kid at the time:
Old 09-01-2019, 12:49 PM

A Deputy Dawg cartoon has a Russian mouse named Mischa pop out of a satellite in the Lou'siana swamp. A submarine later surfaces, and the sub commander (big guy with furry hat and an undershot jaw) chases Mischa and eventually convinces him to return home - the commander ends up being friendly and tells Dawg and his southern-fried cohorts "You are someday coming to veesit my country, you-all!"
This would've been around 1962.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:33 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

In the mini-series World War III multiple Soviets are shown in a positive light including the Soviet Premier played by Brian Keith. The bad guys are a hardline faction in the KGB and military. The Premier and the commander on the ground do what they can to avoid war but in the end they are unsuccessful. Boom.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:44 PM

Doctor Zhivago? Bit of a stretch, maybe.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

The Chairman is a 1969 cold war thriller. But in this movie, the real threat is China and the Soviets are depicted as having a common interest with America in keeping China in check.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:33 PM

One of my favorite episodes of Gilligan's Island is "Nyet, Nyet, Not Yet," where two Russian cosmonauts land on the island. They're just as suspicious of the castaways as the castaways are of them. Hilarity ensues.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Moscow on the Hudson - another sanctimonious Robin Williams movie that seems to have been very over praised when it came out.

Also, Red Scorpion, kind of.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
In the mini-series World War III multiple Soviets are shown in a positive light including the Soviet Premier played by Brian Keith. The bad guys are a hardline faction in the KGB and military. The Premier and the commander on the ground do what they can to avoid war but in the end they are unsuccessful. Boom.
Similarly in 'By Dawn's Early Light' the Soviets aren't shown as the bad guys, rather being caught up in a war that neither side really wants. If I recall correctly the only actual individual Soviet shown is the General Secretary, and only over a phone line, but he is depicted as a sympathetic figure.

The movie was released in 1990 so it wasn't really of the deep Cold War era.

Last edited by Atomic Alex; 09-04-2019 at 05:16 PM.