Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 AM

2019 Tennis season Thread

We are already well into the 2019 tennis season believe it or not, with tournaments already played and finished and many stories developing ahead of the Australian Open which begins in less than a day.

There are a lot of questions going into this year:

Will Serena win her 24th Grand Slam?

When will Federer win his 100th Tournament?

Will Djokovic keep the dominant run he had a the end of last year?

Will Osaka reach another final?

Will Nadal win another French?

Will any of the "youngsters" on the ATP tour make an impact at the Slams?

And I guess now, at which tournament will Andy Murray retire?

This looks to be an interesting season...

//i\\
Old 01-14-2019, 08:19 AM

I'm giving up on predicting when Federer will retire, having done for the last 3 or 4 years and been wrong every time, so it would be a hollow 'victory' if he does so this year. As for Murray, he might make Wimbledon if he's lucky, then that will be it. Shame his body couldn't quite keep up with his talent. Nadal and Djokovic seem to continue to defy expectations in that respect.

Predictions, based on nothing very much: Aus - Djokovic; French - Nadal; Wimbledon - Federer; US - Nishikori.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:02 PM

I'll wager Raffa will win at least another two FO's, three tops.
This Canadian was happy to see all four Canucks (Raonic, Bouchard, Shapovalov, and Andreescu) advancing from the first round in the Aussie Open.
Nice to see Kyrgios comport himself like a sportsman (for once) in the presser after his loss to Shapovalov.
Zverev's gotta win a major this year. Still young, sure, but now's a good time as any to truly break out. His recent ATP win over Djokovic was great - let's see if he can run with it. Scary looking serve.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:33 PM

So we have a repeat winner of a grand slam for the firs time in a while and it is Naomi Osaka. This time there was no controversy and like last year, both the tournament and # 1 ranking were both on the line. Given the history of Petra Kvitova the match was one where whatever the outcome it would have been a nice story. From what I saw it was not a instant classic match, but more of a solid, and even given the length, fast paced match. I do not know if this means that Osaka is going to become the player of the next few years or not, though backing up your first slam by winning another is a pretty rarefied occurrence.

//i\\
Old 01-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

I was going to predict Nadal winning based off his play.

Uh, never mind. Novak absolutely killed him.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:30 PM

The clinical display Novak put on reminded me of 2011. Sure, he had an easy road getting there, swatting Pouille out of the way in the semis, and Kei bowing out early to him in the quarters, but still maybe the best I've ever seen Novak hit the ball, today, taking the Norman Brookes Trophy for a record seven times. Nadal was tired and strayed away from his usual grinding game by trying to hit big to keep the rallies short, as evidenced by NJ winning the vast majority of rallies going over four shots. Wierd seeing Nadal just looking at baseline winners going by him.
I gotta say about the 32 year-old Raffa - I am amazed how, in the last three or so years, his hard court game has excelled; it's never been better. For the longest time I had been wondering if he'd ever get his hard court level up to his clay one. Good that's he's totally capitalizing on this development as his career inches towards its twilight.

Osaka has arrived.*

*Heh - I said that about Muguruza when she clobbered Serena a couple French Opens ago.(oops)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:24 PM

And now Djokovic has passed Sampras in Grand Slam titles. He really must be scratching his head and going, I worked so hard to break that record and now 3 people have passed it??? At least from the scoreline it certainly looked like a blowout by Nadal vs Djokovic standards and you have to wonder if they were to meet in the finals of Roland Garros who would win that encounter.

So first grand slam over and the usual suspects were there again at the end on the men's side. It does not look like at the Grand Slam level anyway that is going to change soon.

//i\\
Old 03-17-2019, 08:35 PM

A great womenís final in Indian Wells today won by Briana Andreescu. Itís always tough to predict the future with young players, but she looks like a future star. Seems like a good time for Canadian tennis.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 AM

The US Open is almost upon us and it looks like on the Men's side one of the usual suspects (probably Novak) will win it. On the Women's side like last year it is up in the air. A different winner at each Grand Slam so far this year.

Any predictions?

//i\\