Old 09-18-2001, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartooniverse
... but the truth is that nobody gets to sit in judgement of another person's mourning.

No guilt. You want to do something outward and positive? I heartily encourage you- ...
Well stated Toonie, that's the bottom line isn't it? The first thread I read here was when you asked How We Mourn? I registered that night because of the thread. I never posted to it, it's to hard to approach, mourning is so present in my life. But the things the other posters added ring true to what I learned in bereavement counseling.

Mourning is intensely personal. The path to acceptance and recovery isn't the same for everyone and that's ok! The stages of grief are widely known, but in my experience it's not a predictable and steady progress. On this board there are threads of Dopers who are at several of the beginning and middle stages, moving from shock to expressing emotion and then sorrow and feelings of depression,and experiencing real physical symptoms of distress, becoming paniky and then feelings of guilt, anger and resentment, resisting returning to life, gradually finding hope and then the struggle to affirm reality. It's (in my experience) more like waves, sometimes tugging and pulling at you and sometimes knocking you over to your knees and pulling you under, sometimes stinging you in the face with sharp bitter sweet thoughts and other times gently lapping at you with fond memories gently rippling ever outward.

Toon's you're right. As each of us at different times, when we are ready, make the first painful outings and attempt to return to work and live life again, passing birthday's and anniversary dates, we should all make allowances for and be patient with the differences in mourning styles due to culture, gender, life experiences and even age, instead of nitpicking, sniping and ridiculing each other for the differences in the way we cope, or don't cope for that matter. If it mean increased patriotism, compassion, and volunteerism, that's not a bad thing.

My best wishes to you, whatever form your mourning takes, it is the most healing possible for you my dear friend.

A
Old 09-19-2001, 11:40 AM

all changed

Cartooniverse, I salute you. I have relatives who are firemen, EMT's and so forth, and they have seen some nasty stuff. But this...
I am just a grunt on my company 1st aid team, but You are one of the few. Thank you. What else can one say? Thank you.
I always considered my sig quote an ironic quip - until now!
Old 09-19-2001, 12:41 PM

Thank you so much. You do us all proud.
Old 09-19-2001, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Our country is built not on huge displays by famous people, but by anonymous quiet gestures by ordinary people responding in their personal way, to an extraordinary event.

One gesture is a gift. Ten are a movement. 275 million are a revolution. Let ours be a brilliant and passive one, of gestures and thoughts and caring.

If I may be so bold to say, Cartooniverse, this is absolutely one of the most profound pieces of writing that summarizes the true American spirit.

and I couldn't agree more with :
Quote:
My somewhat rambling point here is that I feel the guilt is misplaced. Turn that energy around. Do something, no matter how small YOU
may think it is.
Cartooniverse, you are incredible in the way you can help someone with the negative side and turn into a little flash of light...and if you are not careful, you just might find yourself on Oprah.
Old 09-19-2001, 03:14 PM

I finally worked up the nerve to read this thread.

Cartooniverse, you rock.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shirley Ujest
Quote:
..and if you are not careful, you just might find yourself on Oprah.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:33 PM

Thank you Cartooniverse for sharing your story. You are an amazing person.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:53 PM

////Cartooniverse\\\\

I am glad that you were there to help people. I hope that you will have friends and loved ones to hold you and comfort you in the days ahead, if some of this starts to hit even harder.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:28 AM

Up. Everyone needs to read this.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:28 AM

Thank you. I'm in envy of your Karma account balance.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:54 PM

Cartoonuniverse, that was astounding. As someone with no direct connection (fortunately) to the events, that was probably the most gripping and personally moving things I've seen and read. It helped bring the reality of the situation home. I know you were just doing what you felt you had to - but the fact that you felt you had to speaks to your credit, as does your continued efforts to be helpful despite the difficult circumstances and bad turns coming your way.

Also, you made an observation about how everyone seems to want to do something to help. I can only affirm that observation - both personally and from talking to others around me. There is a strong need to be involved in helping. Part of me wanted to wade right in and help dig people out with my bare hands. I had just given blood the week before during a regular blood drive, and will give again. I did give a sizable donation to the Red Cross.

Kudos to you for your contribution. Also, glad you're safe. And don't you feel guilty for leaving when you did, either.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:39 PM

Just want to say,I hope your government treads carefully in seeking retribution.
War is bad.... it will kill people i love, friends, relatives, subordinates, superiors, brothers and sisters in the professsion of arms. But it is our job, and as such, we're ready to back your armed forces up wherever possible, however required. May the leaders be wise and right!]
damn, it's just one of those those things...
Old 09-21-2001, 01:20 PM

I don't know you but I am so proud of you! Thank you for jumping in and helping and for letting us share in your experience.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

After avoiding the area for 10 years or more, I've gone down to the external Memorial twice in the last 2 years. The "waterfall" part, not the actual Museum.

The first visit was wretched. My In-Laws wanted badly to go. They're from the Midwest. It meant a lot to them to see it. Quite disturbing to walk around, look around, think about what was and now what is. The second visit was a bit easier. Wasn't in a hurry to go back again.

And yet... I may go down tomorrow. Or to St. Paul's. To sit. And be around others who are thinking about the loss and the recovery.

Peaceful thoughts to those all over the planet touched by the terrorism that is more and more front and center.

And, though my Narrative has been reposted every year since 2001, I had not read THIS thread since perhaps 2003. A deeply heartfelt thanks to those who praised my efforts. Like hundreds of other people, I only did what I was supposed to do.

Oddly, as was the case 13 years ago, our nation teeters on the brink of a significant whole blood crisis. Want to do something to honor those innocents who were murdered that day? Go give a pint of life.

It's what I am going to do in the morning, before anything else, including maybe the visit down near Ground Zero.

Cartooniverse
Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

A Coda to The Narrative.

I may have posted this when it happened, but clearly not into this thread.

I encouraged people to share the piece I wrote. If it illuminated anything for anyone, then it was worth sending along. There was and is zero interest in making a buck off of it, so I didn't care who saw it.

A few months after the event, I got an email out of the blue from a stranger. She said she was an English teacher in the Houston School District. She taught Narrative Writing. Wanted to know if she could use the piece in her classes. She asked if I could edit out a few bits, since this was a middle school class. ( I cannot remember what bits, but I agreed to trim it a tiny bit. ) A few months after that, she emailed me telling me it was being used district-wide in English classes as an example of Narrative form. For all I know, it still is. All well and good.

Very much on purpose since the day I wrote it, I've never gone back and "cleaned it up" in any way. What good would it do? The emotion and stresses would have been scrubbed out and the language tightened up. It would have lost all engagement.

My Dad, alive at the time and a career newspaperman, agreed with the choice.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 AM

Fantastic post, incredibly difficult read

Sorry I have something in my eyes.

Capt
Old 09-11-2018, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

I've been mindful, for the last few days, of those young people who are just finishing High School. For them this is ancient history. Unless they have grown up near an area directly impacted by the attacks, today is an abstract day of sadness for their parents' generation.

As it should be. Nobody should grow up being told that this event holds our nation in a suspended state of mortal terror. 17 years hence, I rarely think about 9/11 unless I find myself crossing certain streets in lower Manhattan. I'll glance up and see sky down an avenue where there wasn't sky for decades. Oddly that still catches me short and I think about the buildings and the tremendous losses.

There are many memorials around NYC today, but I'll be working. And remembering in my own way- by rereading the narrative that starts this thread, and praying for a kind of peace that we still do enjoy while so much of our world does not.

Peace, people.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchick View Post
Just want to say,I hope your government treads carefully in seeking retribution.
Yea, so much for that. 17 years of war and still counting. Who would have thought that in 2001?

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 09-11-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Yea, so much for that. 17 years of war and still counting. Who would have thought that in 2001?
Probably more than you think. Massive consequences follow massive events.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Probably more than you think. Massive consequences follow massive events.
17 years?? The War of 1812 and the American Civil War, plus American involvements in WWII, WWI, didn't last that long, combined! In a few more years (and there seems to be no indication of it stopping before then) we can add the American Revolutionary War into that total and still be shorter.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 09-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Joe Haldeman.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Wow!
Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 PM

First time I've read it. Won't be the last. Don't know if Cartooniverse still posts here, but massive respect.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:12 PM

Yeah, Cartooniverse is still active and he'll see this bump.

Last edited by cochrane; 09-10-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:36 AM

Thanks for this bump... especially since there are now Dopers who are too young to remember. This is something that cannot be fully appreciated from history books.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Hi. I appreciate the bump- didnít see it when I reposted the original thread. Iíve reposted it every year, I think.
If the Mods need to lock up one of these so itís not floating around in duplicate, I totally get that.
Interesting remarks here at work from the Millennials. ď Yeah, never forget- but what does it really MEAN now? ď and so on.
Makes me think about my Grandparents, WWII, etc etc.
Does it take a stunning even lived in realtime for the younger generation to be able to relate?
I suspect so, and that itís just human nature.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:38 PM

^^It's so amazing, to me, you were able to write your narrative so succinctly. While, I assume you were still reeling. It gives a real sense of how it really was on the ground that day. I've watched alot of the docs on the 9-11 tragedy. I come away from your story with a completely different feeling. Thanks so much.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I couldn't sleep the night I got home on September 12th . In the middle of the night I decided to go down and turn the computer on and write out the bullet points in chronological order.

I did not want to forget anything, and did not want any false memories.

They became the backbone of the narrative.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 PM

Man, oh, man. I'm so glad you did.
My youngests birthday is on Sept.11th. I was with her today and was telling her about the narrative. She wanted to see it. She's a 21yo (today) and had no memory of course. She heard cursory lessons on it in highschool history classes. She was full on crying as she read it. She said one thing "Mama, I just didn't know this, why didn't I know this?" I had no answer for her. She will look into it more. That's how she is.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:14 AM

I wish I"d known about the STMB and read this thread 18 years ago. I would have asked your permission to share it with my classes. It's a powerful personal account.I don't think 9/11 gets adequate coverage in most classrooms. I know my social studies colleagues "touched on it" (their words). As the years went by, students were anxious to know more about 9/11. They said their parents and teachers didn't like to talk about it.

Thank you for writing this.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:14 AM

This appears to be the third year that this thread has been bumped after its initial posting in 2001, but somehow this is the first time I've seen it. There are countless first-person retellings of that day's events out there, but I haven't previously seen one so detailed or covering more than just the minutes surrounding the attack itself. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I've shared it every year since I wrote it. This thread doesn't reflect that, but then how weird would it be if it did?

There are names in that original thread of people who are long gone from The Dope. That makes me sad.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Cartooniverse, I must thank you for this all these years later.

I never saw this before. It gives me a perspective that I lacked, because at the time all I could do was watch TV. We lived literally on the other side of the planet (Saipan). It happened in the middle of the night, there was no live TV except CNN International, and by the time we were awake, the towers were down, CNN has already begun censoring the footage, and they talked without telling us what happened. First thing in the morning, I had to call my dad in VA to find out what actually happened. Since the airports were shut down, no one on the island could go home or do anything to help.

Blessings to you for your service and tor keeping this story alive.