Old 03-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
It's enough of an outrageous that he wasn't prosecuted, but the fact that he's claiming he's been vindicated and that we all rushed to judgement is insane. Fuck this country.
:checks: Yes, I did open the right thread.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:45 PM

It definitely bothers me, and I approve of Emanuel's condemnation. (Can he do anything else?) I wouldn't be mad at it being pleaded out to something small, but full on rejection is ridiculous. The guy did something both sides should find heinous.

His original action made it harder for actual victims to be believed. And the lack of prosecution means others will think they can do it, too, without consequence. It needed some response that would dissuade others, even if it wouldn't be a huge deal to him personally. A fine, maybe, or community service. Something!

And, yes, it will be used politically, which is a lesser but still significant issue. It will be used to claim that lefties or minorities can get away with anything. If any right wing darling gets accused, it will hit the above and be thought of as fake and the only reason it was prosecuted was because of his politics. It doesn't even have to be the same issue: I've already seen it used to say that Flynn is being unfairly treated.

Yes, I'm sure it's because of money and corruption in Chicago. But even that plays into certain right wing crap.

The only fix I've seen suggested is federal charges being brought instead. But I'm not sure that's possible, let along practical.

Last edited by BigT; 03-26-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
It's enough of an outrageous that he wasn't prosecuted, but the fact that he's claiming he's been vindicated and that we all rushed to judgement is insane. Fuck this country.
Your name isn't Francis by chance?

Smollett is still going to be prosecuted by the court of public opinion which could hurt him more than a first time conviction.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 PM

In some ways, I feel like, why is this even news? Jussy Smollet was a minor celebrity (or at least I had no idea who he was or that he even existed before this) and who really gives a damn if a nobody almost famous enough actor got a legal freebie, why are we paying attention to this loser?
The rest of me wants to be outraged in some fashion at the seeming abuse of justice.\
Put them together and its just another sigh of resignation at the futility.

Im going to go sit over here and watch till I get myself drunk/sober/figured out.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
The only fix I've seen suggested is federal charges being brought instead. But I'm not sure that's possible, let along practical.
The other issue raised is the threat he received at the Empire's Chicago studio. There were thoughts raised that he sent the mail himself.
https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/26/j...investigation/

If so he could be subject to Federal prosecution.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
He's obviously not innocent or he wouldn't have forfeited the bond. Something stinks here.
The forfeited bond is chump change compared to what his high-powered legal team would have charged to go through with the trial.

Forfeiting the bond was the sound economic move.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:13 PM

My one consolation: you can't fix stupid. Surely he'll end up doing something like this again.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
The forfeited bond is chump change compared to what his high-powered legal team would have charged to go through with the trial.

Forfeiting the bond was the sound economic move.
For what? Do you think the prosecutors said "We know you did it but if you give up the 10 grand we'll totally dismiss the charges and you can tell everybody you were totally innocent?" That doesn't happen, and if he didn't do it he'd go after the money because now they have nothing on him, that's the sound economic move.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestchaz View Post
In some ways, I feel like, why is this even news? Jussy Smollet was a minor celebrity (or at least I had no idea who he was or that he even existed before this) and who really gives a damn if a nobody almost famous enough actor got a legal freebie, why are we paying attention to this loser?
The rest of me wants to be outraged in some fashion at the seeming abuse of justice.\
Put them together and its just another sigh of resignation at the futility.

Im going to go sit over here and watch till I get myself drunk/sober/figured out.
Just because you never heard of him (and I didn’t either) doesn’t make him minor. He by all accounts is a rising star as an actor and musician on a hit TV show. But more than that is unfortunately the political aspect. This hoax was perpetrated for a political end. He is an activist as well as an actor. His family is very well connected politically. His actress sister worked for the Obama campaign and is well known enough to have introduced him at least one rally. Try to ignore this as much as you want but this is all politics from top to bottom. And it’s Chicago politics which means it stinks more than usual.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 PM

Gah! Just fire the guy from the show and be done!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 PM

Some important people have been meddling in this case. Foxx recused herself a few weeks ago. Definitely the right thing to do.

It may be nothing. But it's troubling to learn that the former first lady's chief of staff was making phone calls on behalf of the family. The Smollett family has powerful friends.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/re...t-to-kim-foxx/
Quote:
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx tried to persuade Police Supt. Eddie Johnson to turn the investigation over to the FBI.

Foxx’s call to Johnson came after an influential supporter of the “Empire” actor reached out to Foxx personally: Tina Tchen, a Chicago attorney and former chief of staff for former First Lady Michelle Obama, according to emails and text messages provided by Foxx to the Chicago Sun-Times in response to a public records request.

Tchen passed Foxx’s number to a relative of the actor, and the ensuing conversations with the family member were cited by Foxx last month as the reason she recused herself from Smollett’s prosecution 

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-26-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
My one consolation: you can't fix stupid. Surely he'll end up doing something like this again.
If he actually gets his ass kicked now, he'll be like the boy who cried "Wolf". That would be ironic.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
My jaw just dropped. And in other news, the murders of Nichole Brown Simpson and Ronald Lyle Goldman are still unsolved.
My jaw dropped when I read this part of Smollett's statement: "We look forward to bringing the real perpetrators to justice."

Really?? You're taking a page out of the O.J. playbook??
Old 03-27-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
It's a weird day when I'm agreeing with David Axelrod:
"Unless some better explanation surfaces, here’s the lesson of this weird turn in the Smollett case:
You can contrive a hate crime, make it a national news, get caught and-if you are a well-connected celebrity-get off for $10K and have your record expunged and files sealed"

It's somehow news that well-connected celebrities get different treatment than others?

Next you'll be telling me rich people have different rules too!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I guess this is a case of Junk Juss-tice (stolen from this morning's NY Post)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
It's somehow news that well-connected celebrities get different treatment than others?

Next you'll be telling me rich people have different rules too!
From last nights Colbert:

"I have a dream that one day, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will hire the very best publicists to leverage their social media profile, escape charges and then make a big comeback on The Masked Singer."

This was from Dr. King's other speech.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
My best guess is that the DA's office realized as they were preparing that they couldn't actually make the case at trial, for some reason such as critical evidence would be inadmissible at trial (hard to believe Chicago cops would illegally cut corners when getting evidence against an uppity black man, isn't it?), or the way Illinois statutes are written means that nothing he did was actually illegal (or at least there was a strong risk that a judge would decide one of these things).
I'll bet you're right. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on "there's a problem with the admissibility or consistency of the brothers' testimonies and they realized there's a good chance that it could either cause a public scandal around the CPD or a loss of the case if the thread got pulled."

The part of me that watches too many procedurals wants it to be that the brothers will admit on the stand that they only "confessed" after being threatened with deportation and were told that they could stay in the US as long as they said Jussie planned it. But life is less interesting, most of the time.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I’m most confused by how he managed to insure it got sealed? What’s in there that it can’t be made public? Surely the public has an interest in the outcome here, as it could mean prosecutors or police over reacted! In a case such as this, if he’s innocent especially why would he want it sealed?

Last edited by elbows; 03-27-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Mention of Michelle Obama is just gratuitous Obama-bashing by Fox and is irrelevant.
This is fairly standard for all "journalism" today. Everytime I read any movie news article about Tom Cruise or John Travolta it always makes an unrelated reference to Scientology, if I read anything about an upcoming movie with James Woods it refers to him as an "Outspoken Conservative". The standard now is to put an aside remark in any article that involves anyone that has anything "controversial" about them.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 AM

Isn't the problem in cases like this always going to be a matter of he said/they said? Two guys beat him up. Later they said he paid them to do it. He said he did no such thing.

There are apparently checks that he gave them, but it also appears that these were for services that they did, in fact, provide him earlier.

He initially said he didn't know who it was that attacked him, but "I didn't recognize them at the time they were beating me down in the middle of the night" is certainly plausible.

I can certainly think he arranged it, but I don't see any way based on what I've seen that it would pass any sort of reasonable doubt muster.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:22 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
I'll bet you're right. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on "there's a problem with the admissibility or consistency of the brothers' testimonies and they realized there's a good chance that it could either cause a public scandal around the CPD or a loss of the case if the thread got pulled."

The part of me that watches too many procedurals wants it to be that the brothers will admit on the stand that they only "confessed" after being threatened with deportation and were told that they could stay in the US as long as they said Jussie planned it. But life is less interesting, most of the time.
You would lose that bet. If that was the case there was no reason why the prosecutor wouldn’t have said that even if he did it in a roundabout way. Instead he gave some bullshit reason about how he thinks guilty guy shouldn’t be prosecuted because he’s non-violent. There is no reason why a prosecutor couldn’t say we are not going forward because we are not confident in the evidence. I’ve seen that many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
This is fairly standard for all "journalism" today. Everytime I read any movie news article about Tom Cruise or John Travolta it always makes an unrelated reference to Scientology, if I read anything about an upcoming movie with James Woods it refers to him as an "Outspoken Conservative". The standard now is to put an aside remark in any article that involves anyone that has anything "controversial" about them.
When the family has direct ties To a former president like working for the campaign, introducing him at rallies, pictures of the defendant yukking it up with the First Lady, it’s a little more than tangential. The chief of staff for the first lady attempted to use her influence on the head prosecutor about the case. Stories about the suspect being friends with the first lady are then very relevant.

Last edited by Loach; 03-27-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:25 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Isn't the problem in cases like this always going to be a matter of he said/they said? Two guys beat him up. Later they said he paid them to do it. He said he did no such thing.

There are apparently checks that he gave them, but it also appears that these were for services that they did, in fact, provide him earlier.

He initially said he didn't know who it was that attacked him, but "I didn't recognize them at the time they were beating me down in the middle of the night" is certainly plausible.

I can certainly think he arranged it, but I don't see any way based on what I've seen that it would pass any sort of reasonable doubt muster.
Well now we only have his word for it since it’s sealed, but the police commissioner stated they didn’t even give the grand jury all of the evidence. He seems to think it was a lot more than that and pretty open and shut. Even the sacrificial lamb the prosecutor put out in front of the camera says that he is guilty.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I thought probation and community service were reasonable. So now they think forfeiting his bond and non-existent community service is sufficient punishment. He's obviously not innocent or he wouldn't have forfeited the bond. Something stinks here. This case smelled bad right from the beginning and the odor is getting worse.
I don't think he's innocent, but I don't agree with your reasoning. A lot of innocent people would forfeit a $10,000 bond to avoid going to trial for felony charges. I would. The lawyers would cost far more than that even for a very short trial.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:46 AM

So can I pay $10,000 and get a "Get out of jail free" card?
Old 03-27-2019, 11:52 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

The Chicago Police just released their files on the case. It doesn’t contain the grand jury testimony of course.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:53 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
So can I pay $10,000 and get a "Get out of jail free" card?
How many former Presidents do you know?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The Chicago Police just released their files on the case. It doesn’t contain the grand jury testimony of course.
Link?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:08 PM

Prosecutor on dropped Jussie Smollett charges: 'I do not believe he is innocent'

Quote:
The Cook County state’s attorney who dropped felony charges against Jussie Smollett said Tuesday that he does not believe the move vindicates or exonerates the Empire actor, who police say staged a racial and homophobic attack against himself in late January.

“I do not believe he is innocent,” Joseph Magats said in an interview with CBS Chicago.

Smollett, 36, was charged earlier this month with 16 felony counts for false report of offense. When asked why he dropped the charges, Magats said, “Based on all facts and circumstances of the case, and also keeping in mind resources and keeping in mind that the office’s number-one priority is to combat violent crime and the drivers of violence, I decided to offer this disposition in the case.” He also refuted Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s claims that “this is a whitewash of justice.”
That is some industrial-grade bullshit there.

-God
Old 03-27-2019, 12:12 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Link?
The internet? Google? It’s on every major news site.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:13 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

This one is from WGN.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wgntv.c...ase-files/amp/
Old 03-27-2019, 01:14 PM

Smollett and his legal team appear to be utterly without shame:

Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 PM

Normally the police and prosecutor work closely together. I watch the First 48 and the Detectives often call the DA to discuss a case they're working. Especially when they need a warrant. It's part of doing business.

It doesn't make sense that they didn't meet and discuss why charges were dropped.

At least then the Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department and Mayor wouldn't be left with egg on their faces.

Maybe there's a reason not to say anything publicly but you don't pull this crap on city officials.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-27-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:37 PM

The DA has tried to say this was some kind of deferred judgement, except it wasn't deferred, he hasn't admitted guilt (and publicly claims innocence), and he hasn't done any community service. Since the charges have already been dropped I don't see how they can make him do the community service either, it's not like it's been ordered by a judge. And I don't see any reason he won't go after that bond money either (or the bondsman who probably put it up and shouldn't have to waste his time trying to collect it from Smollett).

There have been calls for a federal investigation here, sounds like a good idea, but is probably a waste of time.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:01 PM

Total bullshit. It's possible they were concerned that Smollett's attorneys could make a case that the jury pool was tainted by the press conference given by the police captain...that's the only reason, aside from bribery, that I can come up with. I hope the feds charge him.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
You can take Chicago fearing a media circus of a trial off the table. Chicago doesn't mind those. Former governors, current governors, aldermen, actors, singers, Chicago tries em all.
But...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
The entire case seemed to hinge on the Osundairo brothers testimony.
He can't do it alone.

Last edited by Johanna; 03-27-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
Total bullshit. It's possible they were concerned that Smollett's attorneys could make a case that the jury pool was tainted by the press conference given by the police captain...that's the only reason, aside from bribery, that I can come up with. I hope the feds charge him.
And the Feds should at least open an investigation into Foxx, as well.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:31 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

The Chicago Police released their documents due to a FOIA request from media outlets. They are claiming they read the court order as only pertaining to the grand jury testimony.

The prosecutors office jumped all over it and said it covers everything.

Chicago PD: Oops

Now Foxx is peddling some bullshit like this is business as usual. It is certainly not. Now I did not expect him to do any jail time. I expected a plea bargain to drop some of the charges and to suspend sentence with community service. But that only ever comes after an admittance of guilt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chi...story,amp.html
Old 03-27-2019, 04:54 PM

Smollett's attorney says they are weighing their options on whether to sue the city of Chicago & it's police department. I actually hope they do.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:37 PM

FBI is looking into the dropping of charges. I'm not sure they'll get anywhere. Still, I'm glad it's being investigated.

https://abc7chicago.com/amp/fbi-revi...urces/5219838/

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-27-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:09 PM

At first I was irked by Smollett, but I gotta say I'm enjoying the outrage. All these people who don't say shit about the disgusting things Trump has done are losing their minds over some two-bit actor and his ridiculous scam. Boo fucking hoo. I drink a toast to you commitment to justice. Families destroyed by our vile immigration policy? Silence. Jussy fucking Smollett? Waaaaaah. Sláinte.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:56 PM

Looks more and more like money talks and bullshit walks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
At first I was irked by Smollett, but I gotta say I'm enjoying the outrage. All these people who don't say shit about the disgusting things Trump has done are losing their minds over some two-bit actor and his ridiculous scam. Boo fucking hoo. I drink a toast to you commitment to justice. Families destroyed by our vile immigration policy? Silence. Jussy fucking Smollett? Waaaaaah. Sláinte.
People can complain about more than one thing at a time. And some of us are kind of "Trumped out", if that makes sense. Sometimes it's nice to concentrate on something small. Chill.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Looks more and more like money talks and bullshit walks.
So Jussie is walking and talking.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 PM

CWBChicago is reporting this deal is NOT SOP, despite Foxx's claims.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM

They also requested files from the Chicago PD, which were apparently submitted within 24 hours. Chicago PD is definitely not happy.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
They also requested files from the Chicago PD, which were apparently submitted within 24 hours. Chicago PD is definitely not happy.
I think they would be thrilled.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:18 PM

Are hate crimes are Federal crimes?
If so, are false reports of hate crimes Federal crimes?

-Richard Hariss
Old 03-28-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Many people are outraged by all of the above.

I'm not sure if anything you posted relates to whether Smollett is a lying piece of shit.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

BREAKING NEWS: Smollett case tied to CBS’s “CODE BLACK”

(AP) Actor William Allen Young, who starred as Dr. Rollie Guthrie on the CBS medical drama Code Black, appeared onstage in a community college production of Treasure Island in 1976, TMZ reports. The play, based on Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel of the same name, includes a character named Captain Smollett. The character’s surname was pronounced “SMOLL-ett” in the play, in direct contradiction to how Jussie Smollett prefers his name to be pronounced (Smoll-ETTE).

Chicago Police detectives are investigating this development, and there is speculation that an arrest is imminent.

DISCLAIMER: TMZ did not really report this. Also, the AP byline is made up, as well as the part about the Chicago Police Department.

The rest is totally true.

Last edited by Chronos; 03-28-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:07 AM

According to abc7chicargo:
"On Wednesday, Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx defended her office's decision to drop all charges against Smollett, who was accused of staging a racist and homophobic attack on himself.

"I believe this is a just outcome based on the circumstances," Foxx said.

Foxx said that the practice of dropping charges in exchange for community service and restitution is not uncommon for the Class 4 felonies that Smollett was charged with. "

This quite clearly shows that he did do it and paid the "fine" in the same way one pays a fine for a traffic violation to avoid going to court.
OK, i did not know that one could null out 14 *felony* charges with a fine, but that's another matter...