Old 05-10-2019, 10:47 PM

My wife and I went to see the 2007 release of Mongol: the Rise of Ghengis Khan. We were eager to see the sequels, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDB at
[url
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416044/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv[/url]
Originally, 'Mongol' was the first part of a projected trilogy, but after the difficulty making this film, director Sergei Bodrov decided not to make the sequels. Several months after shooting wrapped, however, he changed his mind again and decided to conflate his scripts for parts 2 and 3, and just do the one sequel, entitled 'The Great Kahn'. It was originally scheduled to be released in late 2010, but the project was held back for several months. In November 2010 however, it was announced that all work on the film had ceased, and was unlikely to resume. In July 2013, during a visit to the annual Naadam Festival in Ulan Bator, Bodrov told the press that the production of the sequel had started again.
I don't believe the sequel(s) were ever finished.

I worked at the theaters around the time Empire Strikes Back was winding down. I managed to grab one of the posters near the theater exit: Coming Soon: Revenge of the Jedi*

I kinda would have preferred seeing Luke's revenge rather than just the return-from-the-dojo-planet.

And, apparently unlike everyone else on the planet, I liked John Carter. I would have liked to have seen sequels, and they wouldn't even need to be in 3D. Then again, I've never read the books so I have no idea how much the movies deviated from them

--G!

*I gave it to a friend as a birthday gift, explicitly telling him it would be worth a lot some day. He ended up tossing it in a corner and it didn't go with him when he moved away from home.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:03 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

It would really be great if someone made a GOOD film adaptation of The Wild Wild West.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grestarian View Post
My wife and I went to see the 2007 release of Mongol: the Rise of Ghengis Khan. We were eager to see the sequels, but...

And, apparently unlike everyone else on the planet, I liked John Carter. I would have liked to have seen sequels, and they wouldn't even need to be in 3D.
I'm the one guy who saw and enjoyed Push. I wish the movie had been successful and the sequels had been made.

But who am I kidding? That guy Chris Evans obviously didn't have what it takes to be the lead in a blockbuster action series.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:58 AM

What about "Argo"? The one slated to be filmed in Iran?

Old 05-11-2019, 10:29 AM

I was just reading yesterday that David Letterman did a screen test for the role of Ted Striker in Airplane!. The role went to Robert Hays instead. A golden opportunity was missed, I tells ya.

"Yeah, the plane's going to crash. What are you going to do? Can I finally light a cigar? Like smoking now is really going to make things worse. Anybody seen Biff? Hey Paul, play us out."
Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
If the Wikipedia entry is correct, it may not actually be being "sat on;" as of 2017, Amazon and MGM were developing a TV series based on it. The IMDB entry on it was last updated as "in development," in September of '17.
An advantage with Ringworld vs., say Game of Thrones, is that the characterization and plotting should be easier for your run of the mill TV writing staff to replicate. I love Niven, but I don't think you read him for his intricate plots or his richly described characters. Unless the Ringworld itself counts as a character.

I'd love to see Known Space on an HBO budget.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 05-11-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Following the success of A Hard's Day's Night and Help! the Beatles wanted their third movie to be an adaptation of The Lord of the Rings. Paul was going to play Frodo, Ringo would play Sam, George would play Gandalf, and John would play Gollum. They wanted Stanley Kubrick to direct and they planned on writing several new songs for the soundtrack. Obviously, this would have been a somewhat loose interpretation but I think it would have been interesting.

The roadblock that killed the project was Tolkien. He was still alive and absolutely refused to sell the film rights to the Beatles because he hated their music.
Wow. Huh.

Lynch's "Johnny Rocket"

I think a gigantic opportunity was missed when they (mis)cast Ralph Fiennes in "Maid in Manhattan" instead of Richard Kiel.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:03 AM

The Eric Red script to "Alien 3" (among the 10 or so completed scripts for the troubled film) that completely ignores Alien and Aliens to have a story where on a large space station containing a domed city that resembles an American farm town the military experiments with xenomorphs cause the aliens to break out and started impregnating the livestock, causing all sorts of bizarre crossbreeds including xenomorph chickens and xenomorph mosquitos, until eventually somehow all the xenomorphs merge into one giant xenomorph who is somehow able to assimilate the space station, so now we have a gigantic xenomorph flying through space fighting off space jets.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress has been optioned many times over the decades, has had multiple scripts written by good authors (Tim Minear, for example), and has even been green-lit a couple of times. It always seems to die in pre-production hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Given how Heinlein's work has been butchered in Hollywood, this is probably a Good Thing.
I agree with both of you: I'd love to see it on the screen, and I fear for what Hollywood would do to it. Also, TMIAHM is a very talky novel. The characters discuss how to build a revolutionary conspiracy, political philosophy, Loonie culture, Loonie marriage customs, etc., etc. When I re-read it a few years ago, I found it odd and striking how much conversation there was in a novel where the main characters constantly derided "talk-talk". It makes for a great deconstructionist essay, but a novel with so much talk compared to the amount of action would be hard to translate to the screen, IMO.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:10 AM

I'd love to see the Vorkosigverse on the screen, but I'm not holding my breath. Bujold was quoted as saying some of the proposed scripts were awful. In one, she said the screenwriter had the Barrayarans in a space ship showing their barbarous nature by each squad cooking its own food over a wood fire. On a space ship. In space. Over an open fire. Teh stoopid - it buurrrns!

The proposed sequel to Cassablanca, "Brazzaville", could have been great, but most likely would have been horrible.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Asimov's "Foundation" series has yet to see the screen. Done right, it could be bigger than LOTR.
In development now.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSpon View Post
In development now.
No cast. And David Goyer - not a good sign.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:25 PM

some of the freddy vs jason sequel scripts that were described in the nightmare on elm street series documentary ..... they were way out there .... like freddy and jason became electronic viruses and they infect a spaceship and was killing everyone off while battling each other ....
Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
I'd love to see the Vorkosigverse on the screen, but I'm not holding my breath. Bujold was quoted as saying some of the proposed scripts were awful. In one, she said the screenwriter had the Barrayarans in a space ship showing their barbarous nature by each squad cooking its own food over a wood fire. On a space ship. In space. Over an open fire. Teh stoopid - it buurrrns!
Besides, Peter Dinklage is way too old to play Miles now.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

And, apparently unlike everyone else on the planet, I liked John Carter. I would have liked to have seen sequels, and they wouldn't even need to be in 3D. Then again, I've never read the books so I have no idea how much the movies deviated from them

--G!

You're not at all alone. I lovedJohn Carter and would've loved to have seen the sequels. I was on a panel at a convention a few years ago that was attended by a LOT of like-minded fans who would have seen the sequel(s). I wore a T-shirt with a made-up poster for John Carter and the Gods of Mars.

The movie altered a lot of things from the books, but I think they did a very good job of it. Explaining what they changed and why, though, would take up a book.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
There is nothing I enjoy more than a gigantic clusterfuck of a movie, so definitely Superman with Nick Cage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
It would really be great if someone made a GOOD film adaptation of The Wild Wild West.
You should both watch Kevin Smith's tale of his time working on a Superman script. It's rather long (that link is only to the first part), but entertaining.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Bit role actor Glen Stensel died a few years after announcing he was trying to get financing for a movie about. . . Teddy and the Chappaquiddick, eh, 'incident.'
Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
You should both watch Kevin Smith's tale of his time working on a Superman script. It's rather long (that link is only to the first part), but entertaining.
I have. I believe there is also a documentary about the making and unmaking of the film.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

A good series of movies about Ed McBain's 87th Precinct. The one that was made based on Fuzz was so bad I won't link to anything about it.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Somebody is sitting on the rights to "Ringworld"
Too bad, though I'd even rather see that as a TV series.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I don't believe the sequel(s) were ever finished.

I worked at the theaters around the time Empire Strikes Back was winding down. I managed to grab one of the posters near the theater exit: Coming Soon: Revenge of the Jedi*

I kinda would have preferred seeing Luke's revenge rather than just the return-from-the-dojo-planet.

--G!

*I gave it to a friend as a birthday gift, explicitly telling him it would be worth a lot some day. He ended up tossing it in a corner and it didn't go with him when he moved away from home.
At least one other person on the planet liked John Carter. It had a weak aerial fighting scene in the first reel, but I enjoyed the rest.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:

The roadblock that killed the project was Tolkien. He was still alive and absolutely refused to sell the film rights to the Beatles because he hated their music.
I don't hate the Beatles music, but I am pretty confidant in saying Tolkien made the right call there.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
At least one other person on the planet liked John Carter. It had a weak aerial fighting scene in the first reel, but I enjoyed the rest.
I think it was the title itself that killed that possible franchise.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

I'd happily see another Addams Family sequel with Raul Julia and Angelica Huston. Bonus points if they could find a role for Christina Ricci.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 PM

Spaceballs Part II: The Search For More Money

Also, History of the World, Part II.

(Mel Brooks was pretty lazy on the follow-through)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:20 PM

Protector. I liked Niven and I think the characters are more interesting in this one. And I'd love to see that spacesuit.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM

I wanted to see Justin Bieber in the remake of Back to the Future.

D&R
Old 05-13-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Somebody is sitting on the rights to "Ringworld"
I initially misread this as "Riverworld" and thought someone tried twice to make it into a TV series. I really would like someone to make a good adaption of Philip Josť Farmer's book series.

As far as Larry Niven's "Ringworld" it definitely has potential for the makings of a great movie or TV series. His novel "Footfall" also has an interesting premise which would make for a good movie.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 PM

One of my favorite books is a time travel novel by Ken Grimwood called "Replay". Apparently it was in production to made into a movie with Ben Affleck in talks to play the lead but development on it is apparently stalled at this point.

This apparentl happens to a lot of movie projects. It's known as "Development Hell".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_hell

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...evelopmentHell WARNING: Tv Tropes Link.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I'd happily see another Addams Family sequel with Raul Julia and Angelica Huston. Bonus points if they could find a role for Christina Ricci.
Alas, Raul died in 1994, far too young.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 PM

the new addams family movie is about to come out as we speak ....
Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ad..._film)#Premise
Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
the new addams family movie is about to come out as we speak ....
Though, worth noting that it's an animated film, not a live-action film as the 1990s ones were.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
A good series of movies about Ed McBain's 87th Precinct. The one that was made based on Fuzz was so bad I won't link to anything about it.
But Cop Hater was great. I love the way it created a feeling of not really having a beginning or end, just that we dropped in right before the first murder and left after the killer was arrested while the detectives just went on with their lives.

Plus it introduced the world to Jerry Orbach.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 AM

They say it's the movie that will never be made...

...but I would love to see someone try to do Cormac McCarthy's 'Blood Meridian'. It would certainly be the most violent movie ever filmed.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Here are a couple that did get made, but turned out a LOT less impressive than their promotions suggested.

Metamorphoses was supposed to be a (then) modern-day Rock version of Fantasia, with all the stories based on Greek myths. It was made by Sanrio (most famous these days for Hello Kitty) and, according to contemporary stories, was a collaboration between anime artists and some from Disney's classic age of animation. The rock score was to feature works by Joan Baez, Mick Jagger, and others. the myths were to be Actaeon, Orpheus, "The House of Envy", Perseus, and Phaethon. Connecting all these were the same "cute" childlike male and female characters, who would portray the leads in the myths. A lot of the conceptual drawings and stills looked very impressive (except for the child leads, who looked to me too much like the characters in those simpering "Love is..." cartoons)

Apparently they released it in Albuquerqque in 1978 and it was panned. They replaced the rock score with a new, undistinguished one, and added narration by Peter Ustinov. How this was supposed to improve it, I have no idea. I saw the altered release version and it -- well -- it sucked. The animation was fluid by amateurish. The sound quality was abysmal. It moved slowly. Definitely a lost opportunity.

the other was Flesh Gordon II, a follow-up to the original that was in production hell for years. The pre-production sketches looked gorgeous, but the film as finally made was scaled back. Obviously they stinted on production money. They also intended it for an "R" rating from the start, and apparently decided that this meant they couldn't have any sex appeal, so they relied heavily on scatological jokes. It went straight to video.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Actually, a trilogy: Kickpuncher, Kickpuncher 2: Code-Name Punch Kicker, and Kickpuncher III: The Final Kickening.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Morgan Freeman, of all people, apparently holds the film rights to Rendezvous with Rama and has been trying to get a movie made for over fifteen years.
The sad irony of Rama not getting made into a movie is that it has vastly more spectacle than any of Clarke's other work from his best period.

The only upside of not making a movie out of Rama is that they'll never make the sequels, either.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 05-14-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
I initially misread this as "Riverworld" and thought someone tried twice to make it into a TV series. I really would like someone to make a good adaption of Philip Josť Farmer's book series.
Those two attempts were absolute crap. In fact, in one of them I believe they made Richard Francis Burton the bad guy. Make it a multipart on Netflix, And I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Those two attempts were absolute crap. In fact, in one of them I believe they made Richard Francis Burton the bad guy. Make it a multipart on Netflix, And I'll give it a shot.
Agreed and agreed. Riverworld would, you'd think, make a helluva series. And you wouldn't even need elaborate effects or sets. The problem is that the Powers That Be thought that Americans either wouldn't know who Richard Francis Burton was (mistaking him for that actor), or wouldn't accept a non-American hero (so they introduced an American Astronaut as a hero for that first TV movie). It's the same mindset that turned Harry Potter's Philosopher's Stone in a Sorceror's Stone. Geez, give people credit for some intelligence!
Old 09-05-2019, 03:36 PM

I was going to add the story of Brian Boru, but I'm happy to report that it will be made into a mini-series based on the wonderful book, The Lion of Ireland.

Life of High King Brian Boru to be major US miniseries

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/h...boru-tv-series
Old 09-05-2019, 11:02 PM

Giraffes on Horseback Salad. A proposed Salvador Dali and Marx Brothers movie. I fairly recently learned about this and now want to find an alternate timeline where it exists.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/gi...l-1202051933/#!
Old 09-06-2019, 01:15 AM

I would have loved to see Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (after the great 90s LucasArts point-and-click adventure) instead of Crystal Skull, which, I’m sure many will agree, was pretty weak...
Old 09-06-2019, 02:08 AM

I'm not a fan of them but the planned idea for "Sleep-away Camp 4" sounded pretty ingenious.

The first movie is a generic 80's slasher set at a summer camp basically only remembered for the twist ending. They made two sequels to that film, however the actress for played the killer apparently quit acting to go to school, so they wound up getting a different actress to replay the killer from the first film.

Apparently the plot of the fourth film would have been the killer from the first movie played by the original actor showing up and confronting the killer from the second and third movie played by the replacement actor, the idea being the 2nd and 3rd movies were the work of a copycat and the original killer is back to take their mantle back. It sounded like a pretty good proto-Freddy Vs Jason flick.

However the actual "movie" they made for Part 4 was far less ambitious and wasn't even finished due to production running out of money. Apparently they did a "reboot" featuring the original actress coming back but it's just not the same.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Why hasn't the story of Bohemian Rhapsody been turned into a movie or Broadway musical? That song begs for such a treatment.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Stanley Kubrick - Napolean
Old 09-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

The saga of Love Canal would be a must-see for me.

If I made it myself I would title it:

WE THE PEOPLE...
of Love Canal
Old 09-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Stanley Kubrick - Napolean
Kubrick asked Anthony Burgess (of Clockwork Orange fame) to come up with a script. The result was Napoleon Symphony.

Burgess later commented on their differences in styles being a problem. Kubrick slow, Burgess much quicker. Burgess viewed the movie as having a nice, reasonable pace (and length) set to Beethoven. Kurbrick not so much.

Anyway, the material is out there for someone to turn into a movie.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
I'd see it if I had a chance, but Lewis said it's just a bad film and that he was ashamed of it.
One thing i don't get is how people do facepalms over the very concept.

The idea seems solid and affecting and quite doable.

We've had nazi mistresses running prison films, decades of nazi zombie films. Decades of sad clown films. So how is a "Concentration camp prisoner dresses as a clown to ease the last days of the children there while dying inside every day." not a solid idea?

Ok i just read the synopsis. It needs tweaking. The film should be less about the clown and the 'pied piper' thing is SO heavy-handed it needs tweaking, but overall its a solid idea.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
the other was Flesh Gordon II, a follow-up to the original that was in production hell for years. The pre-production sketches looked gorgeous, but the film as finally made was scaled back. Obviously they stinted on production money. They also intended it for an "R" rating from the start, and apparently decided that this meant they couldn't have any sex appeal, so they relied heavily on scatological jokes. It went straight to video.
Was this a porn parody movie that was watered down? Or an Airplane!-style parody that never took off?