Old 08-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I could only find one that counts for me, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001). It wasn't great cinema by any measure, but it was fairly enjoyable to watch once.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:19 PM

I've always liked 'Starship Troopers' (looks around defiantly) with Neil Patrick Harris, Casper Van Dien, and ex-Mrs. Charlie Sheen, Denise Richardson (piloting a spaceship). Shooting and blasting CGI 'bugs' - do you want to know more?
Old 08-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Based on a recent XKCD Comic.

Name a movie that:

1. You genuinely really like (not ironically).
2. Post 2000
3. Has less than 50% on Rotten Tomatoes

One of mine is easy since I just rewatched it again: Justice League. I genuinely enjoy this movie. Yes the DC Movie version of Superman sucks but that is really the only issue I have with it. The other characters are good to great. The plot is fine for a popcorn Superhero movie. I really like it and I am probably the only person who is sad they didn't release Justice League 2 this year (as was the original plan).

What is yours?
Justice league. the Supe was poor, the rest were fine.

John Carter. Could have been better, but not bad.

National Treasure - actually very good.

Of the three, National Treasure certainly doesnt deserve its low rating, but perhaps it's sequel does. It really makes little sense to have the FBI chasing him since the President could have explained it.

Psst, salinqmind, that film was released prior to 2000.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
NO!

I watch Speed Racer almost annually! This is absolutely a 10/10 movie. Not even joking. smh.
Damn right, so unappreciated.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Well, if it wasn't for the 2000 cutoff I'd mention Cherry 2000. 40% at RT (and 1-1 among top critics).

Old 08-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I actually, really liked 2009's Outlander, with Jim Cavaziel. I checked and it had a rating of 37%.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:58 PM

I was sure I would be able to go with the first movie that popped into my head. Who knew Mother! (69% at RT) was understood and enjoyed by so many?

So I'll go with the second movie that occurred to me- Den of Thieves (41%) an underrated heist movie with a nice twist.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

DrDeth, I was going to mention John Carter, but it turns out it's over 50% on both scores. It was a flop, sure, but those who saw it still mostly liked it.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:28 AM

I’ll second “Year One.” It’s funny little vignettes. Yeah, it’s crass and a bit shoddy - but that’s comedy, amiri? And Jack Black’s response to “the holiest of holies” is gold.

I’ll add 2001’s “Joe Dirt” - polling among critics at a dismal 11%. But I think it’s funny, and even more than that - had enough actual heart to make it work. Lovable loser sort of thing but it really does get you rooting for Joe. My favorite part is how he never quite lets anything get him down - even though by all means he should. I love the scene where he can’t believe the fireworks stand is only selling snakes and sparklers. I also thought Kid Rock turned in a good performance - I know people like that and it rang true.

I believe I may have been waiting 18 years to talk that much about Joe Dirt.... 😝
Old 08-04-2019, 04:22 AM

Red Sparrow (45/49 on Rotten Tomatoes). I thought it was terrific, and the bad reviews mystify me. I bought the DVD, and I even read the Red Sparrow novels (there are three of them).

I enjoyed The Canyons, a notorious Lindsay Lohan vehicle (22/15 on RT). I put off watching it for years because I heard it was horrible, but I found it compelling and very solid.

I also like some of the other movies mentioned in this thread—Terminator 3, The Lone Ranger, Hulk, Constantine. Terminator Genisys wasn't bad either.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Well, if it wasn't for the 2000 cutoff I'd mention Cherry 2000. 40% at RT (and 1-1 among top critics).
This, exactly. I love Cherry 2000 (the movie, not the sexbot), and though it doesn't meet the OP's parameters as to year, it deserves mention. Melanie Griffith as an action hero--gotta love it. She appeared clumsy and unsure in Working Girl (which was probably the writer's and director's choice), and mostly succeeded, but that was not her forte. She was, however, forthright, badass, and confident in Cherry 2000. Her roles should have been in action movies, not rom-coms. Cherry 2000 proved that E. Johnson (Griffith) could rival the Terminator, Rocky, and John McClane on the action movie front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine and Smiles View Post
I’ll add 2001’s “Joe Dirt” - polling among critics at a dismal 11%. But I think it’s funny, and even more than that - had enough actual heart to make it work. <snip>
I'm with you. Joe Dirt is a favourite, simply because it has heart. Every possible thing that can go wrong has been thrown against Joe from day one--and yet, he remains cheerfully optimistic, and eventually succeeds. What's not to like about that?
Old 08-04-2019, 05:16 AM

Ghost Rider---both the original (27%) and the sequel (18%) (I mean, come on, the latter has Cage miming a pelvic flamethrower while explaining to a kid what it's like to pee as the rider!). Also, Drive Angry (46%), where Nicolas Cage plays a father escaped from hell hunting down the demons/cult/whatever that want to sacrifice his infant granddaughter.

I think there's a common theme here...
Old 08-04-2019, 06:43 AM

Batman v Superman has its flaws (mostly trying to shoehorn in an ‘expanded universe’), but I genuinely enjoy it. Like a lot.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
Christophe Gans' Silent Hill (2006) is rated 30% in RT.

30%.

That's just insane to me. Oh, sure, it's not perfect. I'm not saying it should have won all the Oscars that year or anything... but it's one of the finest horror movies I've ever seen, with plenty of really effective scenes.
I owe you one.

Watched Silent Hill yesterday and it was really good. Really good. Very impressive movie and should have had more attention.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Ishtar. Legendary as a bad movie, it's actually quite good, if uneven in part. The first 20 minutes are comedy gold. It flags when they get to Ishtar, then picks up when the go to buy the camel and has some great scenes. The ending, though, is rushed.

Overall, though, the good and great moments outnumber the bad ones by a wide margin.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcory View Post
Batman v Superman has its flaws (mostly trying to shoehorn in an ‘expanded universe’), but I genuinely enjoy it. Like a lot.
28%? Holy molly.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Ishtar is a strange case. At the time it was released (in 1987), there was a lot of news about the fact that it had gone way over budget. Perhaps that influenced the popular and critical opinion at the time. It got a lot of bad reviews. It also got quite a few good reviews. It lost money at the box office.

However, since then, the film has been re-evaluated by viewers and critics. Most people who've seen it recently think it's reasonably good. I saw it when it came out, and I also think it's reasonably good.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Ishtar.
One of the conditions of the question was "released since 2000."
Old 08-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Gods of Egypt. 15/37. I don't particularly care about cultural appropriation or whitewashing. It's cheesy, escapist fun, with beautiful visual effects.

The Keanu Reeves version of 47 Ronin. 15/48.

Yes, I know, they took liberties with the historical facts. But you know what? The historical facts are few and far between. Most of what we think we know about the ronin, was written by poets, and dramatists, and people with social and political axes to grind. It has always been more myth than history. When the film-makers throw in supernatural monsters, in a twisted way, they are being more honest than most storytellers. And the supernatural elements fit in nicely with old folktales.

I don't know if heterochromatic eyes are a thing in Japanese lore, but shapeshifting foxes definitely are. The portrayal of the Tengu---living in a monastery, protecting orphans, teaching them martial arts---was quite faithful to the old folktales. The physical appearance of the Tengu was a bit strange, but down through the centuries, Japanese artists have depicted them far stranger.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
DrDeth, I was going to mention John Carter, but it turns out it's over 50% on both scores. It was a flop, sure, but those who saw it still mostly liked it.
I am happy, then.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:06 PM

[QUOTE=Sunshine and Smiles;21788179]I’ll second “Year One.” It’s funny little vignettes. Yeah, it’s crass and a bit shoddy - but that’s comedy, amiri? And Jack Black’s response to “the holiest of holies” is gold/QUOTE]

Quote:
Abraham : No, no, no, trust me, it's gonna be a very, very sleek look. This is gonna catch on. I'm gonna go get my good knife. Just wait right there. I'll be right back to cut your penises. Not the whole thing, you understand. Just the very tip. And after, we're all gonna have wine and sponge cake.

Last edited by pohjonen; 08-05-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I've always liked 'Starship Troopers'
So did I, but it's from 1997. It's also rated 63% Tomatometer and 70% Audience Score, so DQ'd on two or three counts.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Personally, I thought both 2013's Planes (25% Tomatometer, 49% audience) and 2014's Planes: Fire and Rescue (43% Tomatometer, though it scraped a 56% with the audience) were quite fun.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:42 PM

I just watched, today, the 2010 re-make of, "Clash of the Titans," and really enjoyed it. It's certainly no worse than having to sit through Mythology in junior high. The Bubo joke was worth the price of admission.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 08-05-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:37 AM

Constantine - not only do I like it, I own it.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:43 AM

I object to the original assertion about adult life being past 2000, it limits to people mid 30s. So I'd add Hudson Hawk in there 27/56, surprised the audience agreed as much with me.

But using that criteria and list of flops, Monster Trucks (32/51), RIPD was fun (13/38), I really liked Tomorrowland (on the cusp, at 50/49), Super is close (49/55), and Wet Hot American Summer (36/76),.

Not a fan (and pre 2000), but surprised to find Cocktail a big variation from critics and audience at 5/58 and same with St Elmo's fire (44/68),.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Another one I'm not going to mention since it's pre-2000 is The Villian. It has Kirk Douglas, Ann-Margret and Arnold Schwarzenegger. There's 6 Oscar nominations and one win among them.

Plus a host of character actors. Includes Paul Lynde as an Indian chief. Nothing wrong there!

0% at RT.

And yet I find it a hoot and a half.

But, like I said, can't bring it up due to an arbitrary cutoff.

(I get that you want a minimum number of reviews that older films night not have, but then just make that minimum the cutoff.)
Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine and Smiles View Post
I’ll add 2001’s “Joe Dirt” - polling among critics at a dismal 11%. But I think it’s funny, and even more than that - had enough actual heart to make it work. Lovable loser sort of thing but it really does get you rooting for Joe. My favorite part is how he never quite lets anything get him down - even though by all means he should. I love the scene where he can’t believe the fireworks stand is only selling snakes and sparklers. I also thought Kid Rock turned in a good performance - I know people like that and it rang true.

I believe I may have been waiting 18 years to talk that much about Joe Dirt.... 😝
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
I'm with you. Joe Dirt is a favourite, simply because it has heart. Every possible thing that can go wrong has been thrown against Joe from day one--and yet, he remains cheerfully optimistic, and eventually succeeds. What's not to like about that?
I came in here to mention this movie and I will defend Joe Dirt to the death! I agree with everything written about it by the two of you. It's a wonderfully heartening movie with some funny jokes and a happy ending. I defend most Adam Sandler/dumb comedies like that because they always end happily and you leave the movie feeling good.

I'm surprised Battle: Los Angeles is scored that low, I also genuinely like the movie a lot and think it vastly underrated.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 AM

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017) for me. 31% on Rotten Tomatoes. I wouldn't call it high cinema, but it's an interesting British-gangster (Thanks Guy Ritchie) take on the story, with lots of fun action sequences and a pretty good soundtrack.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I gave up after about 5 movies I really love that I thought possibly might have too narrow an appeal all came back 80s-90s on Rotten Tomatoes. Though to be fair, all of them did score higher with critics than with viewers.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I think that "post-2000" and "post-adulthood" are meant to be two separate limitations, that just happen to coincide for a 30something. The post-adulthood limitation is to rule out movies that you liked as a kid because you had no taste and still like now because of nostalgia, and the post-2000 limitation is to ensure that there's a critical consensus reflected on sites like Rotten Tomatoes. Yes, older movies can still have reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but they're going to be skewed towards those who have very strong feelings about the movie, one way or the other.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
Odd Thomas (2013). From the maker of The Mummy (1999?). I thought the movie was intriguing, read the books as a result. On checking, I see it had 36% from the critics, but 65% from the rotten tomato audience. Does it have to be less than 50 on both?
I liked Odd Thomas a lot as well. I hadn't seen it when it came out and I just happened to select it on Netflix shortly after Anton Yelchin's death (not realizing at the time that he was in it). It did make watching the movie a little melancholy but I thought the movie was clever enough with a decent story. It doesn't seem like it got a fair shake from the critics or audiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Power Rangers (2017) is at exactly 50%, which may or may not count.
This one was not bad either. I am not a Power Rangers fan but my son really liked them a lot when this came out. I thought it had some decent acting from the kids and good enough story building with them, Bryan Cranston is great in just about everything he does, and Elizabeth Banks is awesome hamming it up in green curvy armor. The CGI battle at the end is meh, but it's not any worse than just about any other dumb CGI battle at the end of a movie.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Freddy Got Fingered is a masterpiece?!!?

Just kidding. I think I will have to go with Hudson Hawk, even if it is too old.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:52 AM

I'll submit:

Cowboys vs Aliens. 45/43 on RT. I liked it. Might even watch it again.

Dude, Where's My Car? 17/47 I thought it was way cleverer than it was stupid. It may have been stupid, but it was smart stupid. (it's also weird to watch the TV series Lethal Weapon and say, Hey that's that guy from that stupid film! Sweet! Dude!)

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 08-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 AM

The Do-Over with Adam Sandler and David Spade. Some of the jokes fall flat, but lots of the references are clever and it's generally life-affirming dumb fun.

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 08-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000)

44% CRITICS / 20% AUDIENCE SCORE

I laughed my ass off. I thought it did a good job keeping with the spirit of the cartoons. I even bought the DVD! And I watch it!
Old 08-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Technically too old, but I really liked Oscar, with Sly Stallone. 12% tomatometer, 63% audience score, so I'm not alone.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

OK, I could go with Cowboys and Aliens. I probably wouldn't watch it again, but it was OK, and I didn't feel like I wasted my time nor my ticket money. Though I'm sure it helped that I saw it at the on-campus second-run theater for a buck.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Based on a recent XKCD Comic.

Name a movie that:

1. You genuinely really like (not ironically).
2. Post 2000
3. Has less than 50% on Rotten Tomatoes

One of mine is easy since I just rewatched it again: Justice League. I genuinely enjoy this movie. Yes the DC Movie version of Superman sucks but that is really the only issue I have with it. The other characters are good to great. The plot is fine for a popcorn Superhero movie. I really like it and I am probably the only person who is sad they didn't release Justice League 2 this year (as was the original plan).

What is yours?
Just saw 2012 DVD last night. This has a 39/47 % Rotten Tomatoes score. The first half hour in, I thought the writing was utter shite, the story was lame, and the effects were over the top. Somehow, I came to change my perspective and view it in an Independence Day/Sharknado frame of mind. Then it became enjoyable because of its flaws. I'd never call it high cinema, but sometimes we all have days when we'd like to see the world end in a spectacularly horrible way.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, I could go with Cowboys and Aliens. I probably wouldn't watch it again, but it was OK, and I didn't feel like I wasted my time nor my ticket money. Though I'm sure it helped that I saw it at the on-campus second-run theater for a buck.
I think the goal is to list a movie you "genuinely like," not just thought was okay.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Put it this way: If I were rating the movie on Rotten Tomatoes, and had to give it either a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down (that being what we're comparing our ratings to), I'd give it a thumbs-up. Maybe that means that I'm an easy grader, but I wouldn't rate a movie thumbs-down unless I thought it were actually bad, worse than "just OK".
Old 08-06-2019, 06:20 PM

The Core (40% on RT). Exciting big-concept pulp adventure with enough courage to lampshade its absurdities ("I call it unobtainium.") and not automatically pair off the male & female leads at the end.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
The Core (40% on RT). Exciting big-concept pulp adventure with enough courage to lampshade its absurdities ("I call it unobtainium.") and not automatically pair off the male & female leads at the end.
And Stanley Tucci chewing scenery. I still remember his last line.

I've watched this with students just to laugh at how bad the science is. OK, everyone, if you see birds flying around randomly it's because the core of the planet has flipped over...

Last edited by digs; 08-07-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 AM

The Lone Ranger (2013) was panned by critics (31% on RT), but I rather enjoyed it.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Freddy Got Fingered is a masterpiece?!!?

Just kidding. I think I will have to go with Hudson Hawk, even if it is too old.
Ditto. Hudson Hawk is the first movie I thought of, even though it's from 1991. So what if they dubbed in Bruce Willis's hair? It's a funny movie with a great supporting cast. Willis and Aiello choreographing their heists to "When you wish upon a star" was inspiring. Darwin Mayflower reminded me of my friend Brett, who was just as flamboyantly evil. Butterfinger's only line -- "You want me to rape 'em?" -- just worked so well in the context of the movie.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

I guess I'll be the first, and likely only, person to mention THE SPIRIT (2008, 14% RT) I saw it in the theater when it came out and loved the hell out of it. I saw it again recently and felt the same way. It's hyper-stylized, superhero noir and is extremely my shit. I can totally understand why people would hate it, but not me. The most recent watch was even more fun since I've had years of seeing Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, and it's funny to see them in this as villains working together. I also have a soft spot for a hero who is just this side of being a crazy cat lady. He LOOOOVES cats! Also it, for me, would make a great double-feature with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, because of the stylization, not the plot or characters.

Yes it's silly, and probably very stupid too. Do I care? Nah. I will always love it.

(I also like Speed Racer, The Book of Henry, Justice League and Batman vs Superman.)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
Just saw 2012 DVD last night. This has a 39/47 % Rotten Tomatoes score. The first half hour in, I thought the writing was utter shite, the story was lame, and the effects were over the top. Somehow, I came to change my perspective and view it in an Independence Day/Sharknado frame of mind. Then it became enjoyable because of its flaws. I'd never call it high cinema, but sometimes we all have days when we'd like to see the world end in a spectacularly horrible way.
Some aspects of it were ridiculous, and not in a campy way, but yeah, overall it was pretty good fun, worth watching. Plus the Russian bloke was an interesting character.

I thought Rat Race, the 2001 comedy, was absolutely hilarious, but it's 43/64%. Not spectularly low, but it deserves better.

Eagle Eye rates terribly with critics, at 27%, but it's 62% with the audience. I really like it and have watched it about seven times. One of the critics is annoyed with the movie for blowing things up. What was he expecting, Hamlet?
Old 08-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Yoga Hosers - 24/34 on RT

Clerks (North) mixed with cheesy horror movie and apparently written while Kevin Smith was suffering from a post-bender hangover. It's a fun kind of awful.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:13 AM

Brought to mind when someone mentioned Speed Racer (40%). Then looked up the Ghost in the Shell (43%) remake with Scarlett Johanssen (who always seems to have some kind of campaign against her in the U.S.) (Remember Rotten Tomatoes skews really American.))

Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space (2003) currently at 46%. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tam...k_cat_in_space

So much is working against this movie, like the above examples it's rooted in a Japanese franchise, specifically the black and white 1963 TV series Astro Boy. Along with Hello Kitty and a hundred other things it also references literature like Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 and Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince . Admittedly a weird mix for one of the weirdest movies ever made, so I can excuse the soccer moms voting down because they thought it was a kids' movie. There's violence, the kind of cartoon violence that gets blamed for a lot of the world's ills. It was also meant to be first in a series, so there are a lot of loose ends.

The mounting scholarship on this one is definitely adult, so if phrases like "Of course, visualization of postmodern thoughts is another story. The artistic success of t.o.L lies in remixing the Derridean critique of negative theology, the Pynchonesque conspiracy theory and Henry Darger’s Outsider Art"* turn you on, maybe we can get this up to 48% The amazing soundtrack is still on my .mp3 player too.

*Tatsumi Tarayuki in Cinema Anime edited by Stephen T. Brown

Last edited by eunoia; 08-10-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Just looked up Liquid Sky which seemed like it might have been handicapped by a similarly limited audience, but it's at 95% (!). I'm guessing this is from a new generation that discovered it on the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray reissue in 2017 and does not reflect what 1983 general audiences thought of it.