Old 09-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
If the shoe was on the other (frostbitten) foot? Hoooooooo boy
Brown has gotten in trouble for his shoes too.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/10...-arnold-palmer
Old 09-06-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
(...)and AB is just gonna get away with it scot free
Well, yeah. ‘Cause if you fine him or somesuch, he will get very upset. Very upset.
What would be funny, is if he lays a huge egg on Monday.
Even without that happening, my over-under on the next AB-derailment is 10 days.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Aaaaaaaand now he's issued "an emotional apology" and is going to play on Monday .
That's probably because his agent told him that, if he doesn't watch out, he's going to be out $30 million or so.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
That's probably because his agent told him that, if he doesn't watch out, he's going to be out $30 million or so.
I guess we have the practical answer to whether or not the Raiders could recoup his guaranteed money. LOL.

Still think this ends badly, but maybe they get a few games out of him before the inevitable explosion.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:25 PM

I cannot Believe what dumbasses the Raiders are to fall for the "I'm all about the team" bullshit again. They are really begging for all the Misery they are going to get.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I cannot Believe what dumbasses the Raiders are to fall for the "I'm all about the team" bullshit again. They are really begging for all the Misery they are going to get.
What choice do they have? They can't get the draft picks back. His trade value is zero.

An earnest acceptance of his apology costs them nothing. Try to put it behind them, give Brown every incentive to try and atone on the field (assuming he even wants to continue playing football), and fine the living shit out of him if he continues to screw up. If he grossly violates his contract, void it, and get out of some/all of the guaranteed money.

Who knows, maybe the Raiders can recoup enough from Brown in fine money that he ends up playing for free?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:57 PM

They can save the 30 million worth of cap hit over the next X years.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
They can save the 30 million worth of cap hit over the next X years.
Yes, assuming the arbitrator disregards Brown's apology and allows the Raiders to recoup. But what if the arbitrator won't after this? Besides, he might actually play football now. Why not try to get some value out of him?

At least it hasn't been boring. He got an ad agency to put together a video, purportedly including his phone conversations with Raiders management; all in a Nike-ad-esque style, and he posted the 2 minute video on YouTube today. https://youtu.be/uCH_NCZ7Ejs

LOL.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:06 AM

“This is my life. Ain’t no more games.”

And that’s it, Antonio has officially retired from football.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Yes, assuming the arbitrator disregards Brown's apology and allows the Raiders to recoup. But what if the arbitrator won't after this? Besides, he might actually play football now. Why not try to get some value out of him?

LOL.
They have pissed those draft picks down the shitter, full stop. They are not going to compete this year, everybody knows. But with the remaining picks and the cap space of 30 mil, they might build something. Do you honestly suggest that anything within that head inside that "unacceptable" helmet is going to be good for anything other than Brown or Rosenhaus's wallet? Fuck no, but Trump-hair-wanna-be-Davis-the-younger is gonna take the bait and think pissing on his foot some more is being decisive, and made Mayock bend over.
Cutting the bait was the best move they had, And Mayock knew it, but got stuck with the asshole long term.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I've been in many western Pennsylvania eateries that offer a "PittsBurger", made to fit their idea of what a PittsBurger should be.
Try a Roethlis-Burger at Peppi's sometime.
Quote:
The sandwich consists of ground beef, sausage, scrambled eggs, grilled onions and American cheese and is served on a portuguese roll. Depending on who you ask, it weighs between 1 and 1.5 pounds. The burger sells for $7 (the number Big Ben wears) and the cheese is seven cents extra.
Quote:
I cannot Believe what dumbasses the Raiders are to fall for the "I'm all about the team" bullshit again.
Doesn't every asshole free agent or trade bait say that? In any sport (I'm looking at you, Dwight Howard)?

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 09-07-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:06 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-on-instagram

This keeps getting better.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
my over-under on the next AB-derailment is 10 days.
Missed that by 9 days, aka I overestimated AB’s ability to keep his mouth shut and count the money by 1,000%.

Starting to think -demonic possession.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
The gift that keeps on giving
Old 09-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Maybe he does want to go play for the Patriots? I feel a slow-speed chase by the CHP on 680 is the next thing we should expect...

His agent must be at wits end.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:04 AM

Maybe he does want to go play for the Patriots? I feel a slow-speed chase by the CHP on 680 is the next thing we should expect...

His agent must be at wits end.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I remember when Johnny Manziel was the weird story in football, Antonio Brown has him beat.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Aaaaaaaand he's a free agent.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Let's see who's desperate enough to take a bite at that apple.

I'm hoping Washington isn't that stupid, but we all know they are. Dan Snyder's private jet is probably in the air already.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Are team fines tax-deductible? If so, 1 miliion less 300 k is 700 k for a sum total of about 0.76 practices and 2 handful of tweets (oh, and a crappy helmet paint job). Not a bad haul. Rumor* has him going to the Bengals to improve team morale there.

*Rumor as in, maybe this will become a rumor. Dolphins of course equally likely to bite
Old 09-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Who would want the guy? FFS, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, these guys show up for team practices and meetings, and lo and behold, they have rings! AB only plays for himself. He's simply not a team member.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are team fines tax-deductible? If so, 1 miliion less 300 k is 700 k for a sum total of about 0.76 practices and 2 handful of tweets (oh, and a crappy helmet paint job).
He was never paid that signing bonus. It consisted of two workout bonuses of 500k each for 2019 and 2020. No 2020 and the 2019 bonus hinged on at least an 85% participation.

If anything he'd owe the Raiders all the fines and be in the red . But in actuality since those fines tend to be taken out of pay they'll probably just get voided and he'll walk away at dead zero. I'm sure he got a few catered meals, but otherwise nada.

Quite a feat, throwing away $30 million in guaranteed money.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 09-07-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Who would want the guy? FFS, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, these guys show up for team practices and meetings, and lo and behold, they have rings! AB only plays for himself. He's simply not a team member.
His old quarterback with 2 rings didn't want him at the end of his time with the Steelers.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Let's see who's desperate enough to take a bite at that apple.

I'm hoping Washington isn't that stupid, but we all know they are. Dan Snyder's private jet is probably in the air already.
I’ve been arguing about this in Redskins groups on Facebook. It really wouldn’t make sense for a team that’s so run heavy this year and with a journeyman starting QB.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 PM

I just had a horrible thought: What team in the NFL has...

1) Just lost a superstar WR, on par with AB, and hasn't brought in anyone else to fill that role?
2) Has an inexperienced / incompetent GM and head coach who may not know any better?
3) Has nobody with any real authority at the QB position?

Please please please don't go to the Giants I'll be good I'll clean my room I'll walk the dog...

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-07-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I just had a horrible thought: What team in the NFL has...

1) Just lost a superstar WR, on par with AB, and hasn't brought in anyone else to fill that role?
2) Has an inexperienced / incompetent GM and head coach who may not know any better?
3) Has nobody with any real authority at the QB position?

Please please please don't go to the Giants I'll be good I'll clean my room I'll walk the dog...
The Giants would be a perfect fit. They’re used to having a problematic WR in ODB; heck maybe Junior’s straight jacket will fit AB.

I love this tweet from Brown:
"The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth."

Now there’s a team player you can trust!
Old 09-07-2019, 03:51 PM

I gotta admit I chuckled when I saw this story pop up on the AP a couple of hours ago. I don't follow the NFL at all, so I had to read the thread to see who this guy was and of course he's been in the news for a couple of weeks now, so I was able to follow the story as it unfolded. Today's schadenfreude was like someone bringing out punch & pie.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

And, he's now a Patriot.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/07/an...-wide-reciever
Old 09-07-2019, 04:35 PM

And where did he go? The Patriots.

Three things come to mind right now. The first is that he will be cancer for the Patriots, which is what every rational person hopes. The second is that he was running a long con to get himself released so he could go to the Patriots, which is giving him a lot of credit that really isn’t deserved. Third, the Patriots have themselves a nice little tampering scandal afoot, because the Raiders’ facility still reeks of his aftershave but he’s already agreed to a contract. Them’s some fast lawyers, a little too fast and a little too obvious. This was predicted all over the Internet and sure enough, there it is.

In any event, he’s not Pittsburgh’s problem anymore. I hope he has fun pulling his bullshit on Darth Hoodie for the whole two weeks he’s there.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:52 PM

LOL

Steelers fans have a great imagination.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Pats have signed Randy Moss, OchoPsycho, Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown. Interesting. They cut Moss immediately after running his mouth to the media (and this not too far removed from his record-setting TD reception season), Ocho never saw the field because he's a freelancing idiot that can't learn a playbook and Josh Gordon can't stay off the Dope. Maybe they get Moss type production out of AB?
Old 09-07-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
And, he's now a Patriot.
I saw that news...right next to this tab. How appropriate.

Question: What happens to poor Drew R? An agent usually gets 10% of a contract. Does that still hold true if the contract is voided or would Drew be expected to lose something in that release? Will the new contract replace income for him or will it be on top of the Raiders contract?
Old 09-07-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Pats have signed Randy Moss, OchoPsycho, Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown. Interesting. They cut Moss immediately after running his mouth to the media (and this not too far removed from his record-setting TD reception season), Ocho never saw the field because he's a freelancing idiot that can't learn a playbook and Josh Gordon can't stay off the Dope. Maybe they get Moss type production out of AB?
I don’t expect Billy to cut him much slack. I expect a deal with zero guaranteed and I expect him to fail, and for New England to not lose much out of it.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

This feels like it should have some sort of punishment by the NFL. It feels like he got traded to a team he didn't like and basically crazied out on them until they cut him so he could choose where to go. Letting something like that go unpunished seems risky.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Also, Aqib Talib, Corey Dillon, and Haynesworth. They do like to gamble on troubled commodities.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
And where did he go? The Patriots.

Three things come to mind right now. The first is that he will be cancer for the Patriots, which is what every rational person hopes. The second is that he was running a long con to get himself released so he could go to the Patriots, which is giving him a lot of credit that really isn’t deserved. Third, the Patriots have themselves a nice little tampering scandal afoot, because the Raiders’ facility still reeks of his aftershave but he’s already agreed to a contract. Them’s some fast lawyers, a little too fast and a little too obvious. This was predicted all over the Internet and sure enough, there it is.

In any event, he’s not Pittsburgh’s problem anymore. I hope he has fun pulling his bullshit on Darth Hoodie for the whole two weeks he’s there.
I'll take a little of Doors 2 & 3. Bellichek isn't giving 9 million guaranteed (his signing bonus, AIUI.) to a head case unless he's certain the guy will play. And he'd only be certain the guy will play if he was following all this along from a close position. If the NFL had balls, they'd be up in AB's, Rosenhaus's, and Patriots employees' phones looking for evidence of tampering. Because I think they'd find some.

Enjoy your lockout NFL. I can't see 28-29 owner groups, especially long term ones like the Rooneys, agreeing to get played by players in this fashion anymore. This isn't the NBA.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-07-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
The Giants would be a perfect fit. They’re used to having a problematic WR in ODB; heck maybe Junior’s straight jacket will fit AB.

I love this tweet from Brown:
"The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth."

Now there’s a team player you can trust!
There was some rumbling at Texans fan blogs that he might come there. Even if he didn't, O'Brien would still find a way to send some draft picks out... Make the Run N Shoot Great Again!
Old 09-07-2019, 06:44 PM

This was the plan all along, wasn't it? Someone should investigate the Patriots for tampering.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
This was the plan all along, wasn't it? Someone should investigate the Patriots for tampering.
ElvisL1ves will no doubt be in to explain very soon why that is impossible, and also to somehow handwave away his "conspiracy theory" scoffing from the previous page.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

9 years from now, AB is writing his memoirs, and we learn for sure this was the plan all along. All of football-loving America got played, masterfully, by this recent HOF first-ballot inductee, 3 time Superbowl mvp, and hippo-costume wearing winner of “the masked singer”. Except not in any actual time-line.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:33 PM

The Patriots are welcome to him. I'm sure they'll love it when he starts driving down the streets of Boston at 100+ mph and throwing furniture off of a balconies.

Quote:
No offense but to me that sounds like a very unappealing lunch menu item.
Oh man, now I'm jonesing for a Primantis "Pittsburgher Cheese Steak".
Old 09-07-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I'll take a little of Doors 2 & 3. Bellichek isn't giving 9 million guaranteed (his signing bonus, AIUI.) to a head case unless he's certain the guy will play. And he'd only be certain the guy will play if he was following all this along from a close position. If the NFL had balls, they'd be up in AB's, Rosenhaus's, and Patriots employees' phones looking for evidence of tampering. Because I think they'd find some.

Enjoy your lockout NFL. I can't see 28-29 owner groups, especially long term ones like the Rooneys, agreeing to get played by players in this fashion anymore. This isn't the NBA.

If Brown’s goal all along was to get released and go to NE there’s really no need for NE to tamper, but just wait out the madness and take the opportunity if it comes, knowing full well the risk of tampering would bring an enormous investigation, distraction, loss of draft picks, etc. Why bother with all that if you get him either way? It’s a risk to sign him, but the downside if it doesn’t work out is a loss of a few million, they’ll release him before he can cause much damage. The upside is obviously worth that risk, for NE at least.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
9 years from now, AB is writing his memoirs, and we learn for sure this was the plan all along. All of football-loving America got played, masterfully, by this recent HOF first-ballot inductee, 3 time Superbowl mvp, and hippo-costume wearing winner of “the masked singer”. Except not in any actual time-line.
Why would he wait 9 years? I wouldn’t be shocked to see all that in a series of tweets tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Oh man, now I'm jonesing for a Primantis "Pittsburgher Cheese Steak".
I won’t lie. I would totally try that thing.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
ElvisL1ves will no doubt be in to explain very soon why that is impossible
Oh, sure, it's possible. But let Roger try to do anything about it, in the wake of his pathetic Deflategate efforts, so easily disproven by any high schooler who passed Chemistry. And what's the worst case anyway, they have to give up a first-rounder? If AB's ready to play The System, he's worth it. Now, what are they going to do with both him and Gordon (and soon Harry) running deep routes? Throw out there instead of over the middle like they generally do?

Quote:
and also to somehow handwave away his "conspiracy theory" scoffing from the previous page.
Sweet, sweet tears ... The Steelers and the Raiders both getting screwed, however it happens, is of course a Very Good Thing.

BTW, Bill can put up with a lot of posturing and other off-the-field stuff (even from Aaron Hernandez) but doesn't keep players who start disrupting the team on the field (Albert Haynesworth was cut after only a few games because of that, btw - Jamie Collins is back but apparently enough years in Cleveland taught him a lesson). He no doubt has a way not to pay AB if his latest act turns out not be just an act.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:13 AM

Antonio Brown is a douchebag

Reported for thread title change to Antonio Brown is The Patriot's douchebag.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Oh, sure, it's possible. But let Roger try to do anything about it, in the wake of his pathetic Deflategate efforts, so easily disproven by any high schooler who passed Chemistry. And what's the worst case anyway, they have to give up a first-rounder? If AB's ready to play The System, he's worth it. Now, what are they going to do with both him and Gordon (and soon Harry) running deep routes? Throw out there instead of over the middle like they generally do?

Sweet, sweet tears ... The Steelers and the Raiders both getting screwed, however it happens, is of course a Very Good Thing.

BTW, Bill can put up with a lot of posturing and other off-the-field stuff (even from Aaron Hernandez) but doesn't keep players who start disrupting the team on the field (Albert Haynesworth was cut after only a few games because of that, btw - Jamie Collins is back but apparently enough years in Cleveland taught him a lesson). He no doubt has a way not to pay AB if his latest act turns out not be just an act.
The Steelers didn’t get screwed. They got rid of a cancer that spoiled their season and used the picks they got to trade up and get Devin Bush. Seriously, no complaints here. Pittsburgh will be just fine.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Interesting article from TMZ of all places.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/09/anton...kland-raiders/

If AB was in California at the time he recorded his phone call with Gruden, and Gruden wasn’t aware of it (and it seems like he wasn’t) then AB might have broken state law. If the Raiders wanted to see him punished for his shenanigans, Gruden might press charges, and that may lead to a league suspension pending investigation. That could be one way for Oakland to retaliate.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
The Steelers didn’t get screwed. They got rid of a cancer that spoiled their season and used the picks they got to trade up and get Devin Bush. Seriously, no complaints here. Pittsburgh will be just fine.
The Raiders do have a good claim to get equivalent picks back from Pittsburgh, if they want to push it. Now, let's see what either team can do with less talent on the field.

BTW, watching the game last night must have helped him realize the Pats don't really need him.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 09-09-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Interesting article from TMZ of all places.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/09/anton...kland-raiders/

If AB was in California at the time he recorded his phone call with Gruden, and Gruden wasn’t aware of it (and it seems like he wasn’t) then AB might have broken state law. If the Raiders wanted to see him punished for his shenanigans, Gruden might press charges, and that may lead to a league suspension pending investigation. That could be one way for Oakland to retaliate.
That was actually the first thing I thought of when I heard of his recorded conversation with Gruden.

Federal law requires that only one party to a conversation agree to the recording, so under federal law, and the laws of most states, his recording would be fine. But there are about a dozen states, and California is one, that require all-party consent to audio recording. The main exception in California law is for cases when you have no expectation of privacy, but that's definitely not going to apply to a person-to-person phone call between two private individuals.