Old 08-24-2019, 11:29 PM

Did I miss it?

Why hasn’t anybody said “The Princess Bride”?

It’s got “fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...”
Old 08-25-2019, 12:15 AM

I'd find it hard to narrow it down even to a "Top 10", and so much depends on one's particular mood and preferences of the moment. And as much as I appreciate fine intellectual filmmaking, two great pieces of entertainment just in terms of pure movie-making craftsmanship that are right up there in my "most-rewatched" category are Jurassic Park and Titanic, the latter perhaps influenced by the fact that I've had a fascination with the subject since long before the wreck was even found, the former of course by the enduring fascination with dinosaurs. Titanic's corny storyline is technically more than made up for by the painstaking attention to historical detail and terrific special effects. I seem to rewatch them every time I have some advance in my movie-watching technology, most recently in 1080p Blu-Ray with a new TV and my older but still terrific sound system. Next stop: 4K versions and a 4K projection system.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:45 AM

Lots of incredibly great movies mentioned already, but my all-time favorite movie is David Lynch's debut, Eraserhead.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:19 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Casablanca
Old 08-25-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I have to admit that my taste runs to older horror and I am a major fan of the "lost world" type films and stop-motion. This is all to explain that for me it's
DINOSAURUS!

At least right now. Last winter I would have probably said "Cannibal: The Musical"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Blade Runner (version with Ford's narration, if it matters)
I like you two. We should go down to the quarry and project old movies on the wall there. Maybe, "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" to start. I have a soft spot for the Harryhousen movies of the 50's & 60's. Used to see them on weekend nights during the summer at the local Boy's Club. In good weather we'd sit around the basketball court. In bad, the gym. They'd project them on the wall, old Godzilla movies, Three Stooges & Our Gang shorts, and the like.

Man, I can't pick just one. Once upon a time, I would have said, "Blade Runner." Later, "Local Hero." I think certain movies mean more to you depending on when you see them, and what your life is like at the time.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:42 AM

Groundhog Day.

Because it's about redemption.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:04 AM

Bullitt

What is ostensibly an action movie is actually a blend of late 60s American action/detective film with a contemporary modern Euro twist (thanks to Peter Yates and Philip D'Antoni). The city of San Francisco is the real star. Few if any sets were used. Excellent character acting...Robert Duvall, Simon Oakland, Jackie Bisset, Don Gordan and Norman Fell. And the absolutely on point score by Lalo Schiffrin. I never tire of it.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Good to hear, I wouldn't have replied if you said the remake, but I would be wondering if you had a serious head injury.

Arthur is a very good movie, I still use Hobson's "I'll alert the media." from time to time, though no one seems to know it anymore.
Its the perfect comedy/tragedy accentuated by the tragic death of its writer/director Steve Gordon at only 44.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Contact with Jodie Foster
Old 08-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Bullitt

What is ostensibly an action movie is actually a blend of late 60s American action/detective film with a contemporary modern Euro twist (thanks to Peter Yates and Philip D'Antoni). The city of San Francisco is the real star. Few if any sets were used. Excellent character acting...Robert Duvall, Simon Oakland, Jackie Bisset, Don Gordan and Norman Fell. And the absolutely on point score by Lalo Schiffrin. I never tire of it.
Glad to see the love being shown for Bullitt; so much more than the famous car chase, and it's certainly high on my all-time list.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
I cannot choose an absolute favorite single movie. Thank og a number of my faves have already been listed. Allowing me to mention “the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”
Yes, most of my favorite movies have been mentioned too. And thanks for changing my #1 from "Maltese Falcon" to "TGTBTU". Maybe. It's very hard not to vote for Tuco. Also hard to vote against Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. Maybe we could get TCM to do a "Best of the Dope" festival?

BTW got to agree with Ukulele Ike about Victor Buono. Creepiest ever.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:23 AM

This a tough one. I was going to say Once Upon a Time in the West, since it's my favorite western and I love westerns. But I've seen it so many times that it's beginning to wear on me.

And then I thought The Big Lebowski might be my favorite. It's definitely the funniest, IMO.

After thinking about it a bit more, I suppose my all-time favorite has to be Harold and Maude. Not only is it hilarious, but there's just something magical about it. Perhaps it's the time period (1971). I think I could watch it a thousand time and never get bored of it.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
If you ask me today, The Martian is probably the film I will not turn off and watch anytime it is on.
My husband and I saw The Martian in 3D, on our wedding day. So it has special significance for us.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

2001 A Space Odyssey. I've seen it 50 times at least, perhaps 100.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:42 PM

So many good ones and so cool that I've seen most of them mentioned and under different circumstance I could endorse any one of them ... BUT, since 1979 my favorite movie is and has been The Warriors. I've seen it probably fifty times, easy. I've owned it on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, Director's Cut, I've got the PS2 game of the movie and at one time I had the soundtrack on vinyl. It's been a while since I've watched it but I could probably still recite the entire movie as it plays.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Good to hear, I wouldn't have replied if you said the remake, but I would be wondering if you had a serious head injury.

Arthur is a very good movie, I still use Hobson's "I'll alert the media." from time to time, though no one seems to know it anymore.
My brother and I say that to each other all the time! You are not alone.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Casablanca and Airplane! But the OP specified a single movie, so I'll split the difference and go with Star Wars.

And when I say "Star Wars" you better know exactly which episode I'm talking about.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
And when I say "Star Wars" you better know exactly which episode I'm talking about.
"Cover me, pawkins!"
Old 08-26-2019, 04:22 AM

The Sting, for the casting, the wardrobe, the backlot and the wonderfully implausible plot.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Peyote_Coyote View Post
Casablanca, the only movie I've seen 20 times.
Definitely the best, though I've watched it only 19 times. (Of course I, just like Richard Blaine turns out to be, am a sentimentalist. Some with very different taste might watch Casablanca and be left wondering what the attraction is.)

Just like
Marilyn Monroe is the sexiest movie star ever.
Albert Einstein is the smartest scientist since Isaac Newton.
so
Casablanca is the greatest film ever.
is one of those trite-seeming clichés that happen to be true. Type "Why is Casablanca great?" into Youtube and get several hits of film experts explaining the great skills that went into telling this perfect story perfectly.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:01 AM

Apu trilogy (can't break up the set)
Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. There are a few that come close (Jurassic Park and The Birdcage come to mind) but my heart will always belong to Wonka.
I considered this one also. When Wonka opens the Chocolate Room and begins to sing "Pure Imagination", that is to me the most beautiful and joyful movie moment of all time.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:10 AM

The Goonies
Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 AM

BRAZIL
The real version, not the one with the happy sanitized ending.
The baby-masked torturer working in "Information Retrieval", De Niro the renegade HVAC repairman, the deterioration of technology rather than its advancement, the end...
I've heard it called "a flawed masterpiece". Nope. Just a masterpiece.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Can't do a single film, but I can narrow it down to a few.

Drama: The Last Detail, with Nicholson, a very young Randy Quaid, and small roles for both Gilda Radner and Carol Kane, both then in their 20s. Ties with Paul Newman's Nobody's Fool for me.

Comedy: Young Frankenstein, and all props to Gene Wilder for telling Mel Brooks that he would only star in the film if Brooks stayed the hell out of it. Brilliant cast.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:55 AM

That's a tough choice. Contenders are Groundhog Day, Terminator 2, Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back.

I will say The Empire Strikes Back. It had drama, humor, action, and not a happy ending.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Choose just one favorite? Doesn't exist. Just can't do it.

I'm on board with almost all the movies mentioned in this thread. But, I can name three for which I have a particular fondness:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Topsy-Turvy (Mike Leigh's view of a few years of the lives of Gilbert & Sullivan)
- Mulholland Dr (David Lynch's best work??)

Other movies I love and can watch over and over again...
- Blade Runner (I like the director's cut)
- Young Frankenstein
- Lost in Translation (recreates the feeling of being "lost" in Japan so well, I suppose you had to have experienced it)
- Ran (Kurosawa's take on King Lear)
- Seven Samurai (of course)
- Kagemusha (you should see it)
- Tonari no Totoro (ditto)
- Departures (Japanese guy returns home to the countryside and learns to be a "body preparer" for the funeral industry...surprisingly touching movie)

Last edited by Limmin; 08-26-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM

I go back and forth between Jaws and Casablanca.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:33 AM

"Fuck that shit!"
Old 08-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
I go back and forth between Jaws and Casablanca.
So you're gonna need a bigger vote, then?
Old 08-26-2019, 11:37 AM

Sorry...

....a reply to post #43. It's my reaction whenever I see someone drinking a Heineken.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:43 AM

Anyway...

...if you're a lover of of dialogue that stays true to the original works, it's a wonderful thing to watch...and listen...to 'Jackie Brown' (Elmore Leonard's 'Rum Punch') and Tarantino's version of Cormac McCarthy's 'No Country for Old Men'.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:44 AM

Gone With The Wind. The only movie I've seen 12 times on the big screen, and countless times on tv. Sadly, I've watched it so many times that I can recite the dialogue.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:44 AM

Having a bad day...

Tarantino did Jackie. Coen brothers did No Country.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Lawrence of Arabia
Old 08-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Lawrence of Arabia
That's my pick, and it has to be on the big screen!

Followed by The Man Who Would be King.

What can I say? I have something for mid-century epic films about British imperialism.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:12 PM
SDSAB

Casablanca. Bogie, Bergman, endlessly quotable dialogue, intrigue, laughs, romance, an exotic setting, hissable Nazis, a patriotic sing-along, etc. I can easily overlook some of the more far-fetched aspects of the script.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM

Never Let Me Go

For the aching sadness when the movie ends. And brilliant performances

Last edited by Nansbread1; 08-26-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Badlands - Terrence Malik's first movie with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek. It was the support to something else at a midnight session, and TimeOut only gave it a mediocre review. I had seen Sheen only a few days before on TV in The Execution Of Private Slovik and that was incentive enough. It is just about the least well known American masterpiece of movie making that I have introduced to people.
Sounds like me! In addition Days of Heaven is probably my favorite Malik. It gives me chills just thinking of it.

Interestingly, most of the movies mentioned here are probably not in my top 200 or 300...if I've seen them. I couldn't come up with an absolute favorite because I love so many nearly equally, but two movies I can never pass up if I come across them channel surfing are Joy Luck Club and Gosford Park. I've seen the latter at least 6 or 7 times, and I still find things I didn't notice in previous viewings. Comedy, tragic, great social commentary and snappy dialog....what is there not to love?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
Never Let Me Go

For the aching sadness when the movie ends. And brilliant performances
Oh, I don't know if I could watch that one again. Yes, achingly sad. I loved the book, but the performances were so letter perfect, I have to actually give a slight nod to the movie.

I forgot that Miller's Crossing is close to my favorite movie. So many ways it's perfect...you could probably watch it with the sound off it's so beautifully photographed. Cinematagraphed???
Old 08-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Parrish View Post
BRAZIL
The real version, not the one with the happy sanitized ending.
The baby-masked torturer working in "Information Retrieval", De Niro the renegade HVAC repairman, the deterioration of technology rather than its advancement, the end...
I've heard it called "a flawed masterpiece". Nope. Just a masterpiece.
Yep. No quibbles from me.

This is the movie that made me a total Terry Gilliam fan.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:51 PM

Real genius

I haven't watched it for a long time so I may not enjoy it as much as I used to. But at the time I first watched it was exactly the pro science nerd message I needed. It is the only movie I ever watched and then immediately rewound the tape and watched it again.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:08 PM

For years my automatic answer has been The Godfather, so I'll stick with that.

However, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is a very close second. It's just so damn entertaining.

Honorable Mentions: The Wild Bunch, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Once Upon a Time in the West.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Real genius

I haven't watched it for a long time so I may not enjoy it as much as I used to. But at the time I first watched it was exactly the pro science nerd message I needed. It is the only movie I ever watched and then immediately rewound the tape and watched it again.
I'm surprised by how well this gem has held up. I love it.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Oh, I don't know if I could watch that one again. Yes, achingly sad. I loved the book, but the performances were so letter perfect, I have to actually give a slight nod to the movie.

I forgot that Miller's Crossing is close to my favorite movie. So many ways it's perfect...you could probably watch it with the sound off it's so beautifully photographed. Cinematagraphed???
Photographed.

I'm a Cinematographer. The word doesn't get used that way !!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 PM

There were quite some movies mentioned I would also not turn off TV if stumbled on.

And I raise one Life of Brian.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Well, it used to be Braveheart, but I can't really watch Mel anymore.

Tombstone is a favorite. And Fifth Element. I can't narrow it down anymore than that.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:42 PM

You guys are killing me!!! I love Airplane! and can never turn it off if I come across it. Same goes for Shawshank and Princess Bride. I think my favorite comedy of all time is The Jerk though. My wife and I have been watching the Savage Steve Holland masterpiece Better Off Dead every year on Valentine's day since we were hitched in '05. Just for the sentimentals, I reckon that's my favorite.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:45 PM

incidentally, hers is and always will be Stand By Me. I know every word of the dialogue in that movie just from cohabitating.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutman74 View Post
You guys are killing me!!! I love Airplane! and can never turn it off if I come across it. Same goes for Shawshank and Princess Bride. I think my favorite comedy of all time is The Jerk though. My wife and I have been watching the Savage Steve Holland masterpiece Better Off Dead every year on Valentine's day since we were hitched in '05. Just for the sentimentals, I reckon that's my favorite.
$2!