Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Chicken Sandwich Wars on a Christian parody site.

I'm a vegetarian and have no dog chicken in this fight, but I don't like C-F-A's homophobic stance and never go there.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 08-28-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Did Popeye's really run out of chicken sandwiches simultaneously nationwide, or was this their strategy all along? Perhaps this is similar to Taco Bell periodically discontinuing their nacho fries to create a pent up demand for when they bring it back. Also, I know there is a religious aspect to it, but Chick-Fil-A closing on Sundays also creates pent up demand for the rest of the week. Scarcity creating demand. What do you think?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRaver View Post
Did Popeye's really run out of chicken sandwiches simultaneously nationwide, or was this their strategy all along? Perhaps this is similar to Taco Bell periodically discontinuing their nacho fries to create a pent up demand for when they bring it back.
Yes. Obviously.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:57 AM

Meanwhile in other "chicken" news, a KFC in Smyrna, GA tested out "beyond chicken" veggie pieces on Tuesday.

Yes, madness ensued there, as well.

Next thing you know, they'll be putting fake Colonels in their ads, too.

And we all know that Taco Bell has been "test marketing" fake meat in all it's stores for decades.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRaver View Post
Did Popeye's really run out of chicken sandwiches simultaneously nationwide
Apparently they estimated what their supply would be needed to last 7 weeks and have sold most of it in 2 weeks. They said they even used what they thought was a very aggressive sales estimate.

Apparently some locations still have some but they think all will be gone by the weekend.

Someone asked if they didn't have a chicken sandwich already... they did have a chicken po-boy but it wasn't the same. Chicken tenders on a hoagie bun.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
This past weekend, we were traveling with the inlaws, and they wanted to stop at CFA for lunch. Never in my life have I had such a mediocre chicken sandwich. I honestly don't understand why so many people rave about it.

I don't particularly care for Popeye's, and I never had chicken at Wendy's. I used to love Hardee's chicken biscuits for breakfast - do they still make them? The closest one to me is over an hour away in Virginia, so I haven't been to one in eons.
Chik-Fil-A is more known for excellent service for a fast food place and consistency with their food. That said, I have noticed that the chicken size has been getting slightly smaller over the years.

Popeyes makes a good spicy chicken and their dirty rice is good.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:49 PM

So who here actually had Popeye’s sandwich? Was it any good?
Do you know a child in need?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
I haven't yet (tried three time last week, but all three places I went to were sold out, so I haven't even bothered this week), but my brother had it before the hype (we were a test market here in Chicago) and said it was great. He said he liked it best of the fast food chicken sandwiches for its texture, large portion size, and not as salty as Chick-Fil-A (his ranking, I believe, was Popeye's, Chick-Fil-A, then Wendy's).

The Chicago Tribune ranked 26 fast food chicken sandwiches here, and Popeye's came out #2. (Shake Shack's Chick'n Shack was #1, Chick-fil-A regular #3, Wendy's Spicy #7, Chick-Fil-A Spicy #8, McD's Classic #15, and McD's $1 McChicken dead last at #25, for comparison.) I have yet to make the trip to Shake Shack to compare. I've tried a handful of times while in the Loop, but it's always had gigantic lines when I tried (though I didn't realize they were known to have a good chicken sandwich--I've only been interested in trying the burgers, but now I guess I"ll have to get one of each when I finally make it down there.)
Old 08-29-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I've tried one of each and thought they were very good. You can see how I ranked them in post #1
Old 08-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
I've had two. Very tasty. I like them better plain, but that's because I dislike mayo and pickles. The chicken and bun were flavorful. The second time I had one they weren't doing customization so I had to scrape off the mayo and remove the pickles--that one wasn't as good as the first, pristine one.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 PM

Oh, holy crap that sucks. If you had to scrape off the mayo, then your sandwich still had mayo. I'd really like to try the Popeye's sandwich, and I'm really going to give my place one chance not to fuck it up.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Oh, holy crap that sucks. If you had to scrape off the mayo, then your sandwich still had mayo. I'd really like to try the Popeye's sandwich, and I'm really going to give my place one chance not to fuck it up.
Well, to be fair, they didn't fuck it up. There was a big line and they told me when I ordered the second time that they weren't customizing the sandwiches, so I chose to take it with the mayo/pickles. The second time, the crowd was smaller (it wasn't dinnertime) and they allowed special orders. So if you hate mayo/pickles and want to try it without them, go during off hours for a better chance.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:12 PM

Inspired by this thread (and the fact Thursday night is lamb chop night at the dining room) I went to McDonald's last night for dinner and had their spicy chicken sandwich. It seems to be a processed patty. McDonald's is not even in this race, at least not in the Middle East.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 08-31-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

A casualty of the chicken sandwich wars.

Quote:
A Chattanooga man is suing fast-food chain Popeyes for running out of its popular chicken sandwiches [...] causing him to waste "countless time driving" to and from local chains to find the sandwich.

[Craig] Barr, of East Ridge, also claims he was hustled out of $25 by a man who posted a Craigslist ad claiming he could get sandwiches a restaurant was hiding in the back, suffered rim and tire damage while driving from location to location, and was humiliated when his friends laughed at him.

"I can't get happy; I have this sandwich on my mind. I can't think straight," he told the Times Free Press on Thursday. "It just consumes you."
At first, I had difficulty believing this was true, but I then remembered the stories about someone in a drive-thru calling 911 (and similar incidents) because a fast food place was out of chicken nuggets or something, so hey, life imitates The Onion.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-31-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
A casualty of the chicken sandwich wars.

At first, I had difficulty believing this was true, but I then remembered the stories about someone in a drive-thru calling 911 (and similar incidents) because a fast food place was out of chicken nuggets or something, so hey, life imitates The Onion.
Ah yes, I'm sure someone from Popeye's put a gun to his head and forced him to drive around from store to store.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:23 PM

I used to order a chicken sandwich like this at Friendly's, which I liked. The only one near us closed years ago.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Inspired by this thread (and the fact Thursday night is lamb chop night at the dining room) I went to McDonald's last night for dinner and had their spicy chicken sandwich. It seems to be a processed patty. McDonald's is not even in this race, at least not in the Middle East.
I think this is the sandwich known as the Spicy McChicken in the U.S. It's decidedly inferior to any of the other sandwiches being discussed here, but it's still kinda tasty, and at $1 it's the best sandwich deal anywhere.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:19 PM

I grew up in an area where Chick-fil-A was plentiful. I like their sandwich a lot, and it also has a certain nostalgia for me. Also, as someone else mentioned, they have fresh lemonade. Now, I live in a place where the nearest CfA is around 40 minutes away, and that's one of two in the whole state. I also now boycott them, so even if I'm in the area, I don't want to give them my business. I can get different chicken sandwiches, even better chicken sandwiches, but I can't get one that's like a Chick-fil-A sandwich. McDonald's had a clone for a while called a "Southern Style Chicken Sandwich," that was really similar, and satisfied that craving.

So, I'm interested in trying the Popeyes one, but what I would most like would be if it was a copy of the Chick-fil-A one, which it sounds like it is not. Once there's time for Popeyes to restock, maybe I'll give it a try, hold the mayo. (Nothing against mayo, but a Chick-fil-A sandwich doesn't have it.)

Is the mild version at all spicy?

Last edited by eschrodinger; 09-03-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Never had chicken sandwiches at either place.

I see some people got a tad upset when a Popeyes in Houston, Texas, ran out of sandwiches:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...b-14408492.php
Old 09-03-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschrodinger View Post
Is the mild version at all spicy?
I haven't tried it yet either. But in my experience, if you don't ask for spicy at Popeye's, you're not going to get spicy.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You know, fried chicken on a white roll with mayo is not exactly Health Food.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:56 AM

Who cares? Party pooper.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
You know, fried chicken on a white roll with mayo is not exactly Health Food.
Is there anything on the Popeye's menu that could count as Health Food?
Old 09-04-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Is there anything on the Popeye's menu that could count as Health Food?
ice water -
Old 09-04-2019, 03:12 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
ice water -
The corn on the cob's not too bad if you get it without butter.