View Poll Results: Seinfeld or Friends?
Seinfeld 167 75.57%
Friends 54 24.43%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2019, 02:43 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Seinfeld or Friends?

Which do you prefer between the two? Myself, I like both but have a clear preference for Friends. This is for people who like one or the other or both. If you can't stand either, then please move along, nothing to see here.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:26 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Neither show appealed to me, but I absolutely can't stand Jerry Seinfeld. So if forced to choose, I guess it would have to be Friends.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:01 AM

I like both a lot, though while Friends is probably more consistent, its jokes are extremely formulaic. Seinfeld does have more duff episodes, but watching the first few seasons lays down the backstory which the mid/late seasons play off, to great effect. So for a casual viewer Friends is better as each episode is comfortably similar, but Seinfeld is better in its entirety.

Also, while both handle 20/30-somethings' rites of passage, Seinfeld's characters are full-blooded (if petty, mean, ridiculous, etc.). The Friends are all weirdly childlike and/or neutered. It's hard to believe that even Joey actually follows through on his relentless sex-talk.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:29 AM

Seinfeld, hands down. I watched the first five minutes of a Friends episode the other day (I was getting ready to take my cat to the vet and couldn't be bothered to change the channel) and couldn't believe how sophomoric it was: lame joke after lame joke, all followed by the most annoying canned laughter ever. It was a relief to get out of the house!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:16 AM

The shows were not in the same league. Friends was the Seinfeld Triple A affilliate.

Last edited by bobot; 08-25-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

I could never get into Friends, even though I was squarely in its target demographic. 100% Seinfeld for me.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Love Seinfeld; never got into Friends. Different types of humor, and I vastly preferred the former.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Never cared for either. Seinfield was pretty much unwatchable (especially when Jason Alexander was involved. Every time I give it another chance, I turn it off after five minutes. Even the most famous joke (Kramer's "I'm out') -- which was very funny on paper -- was botched in the execution.

Friends, OTOH, could be funny, but never really worked as a whole. It was a decent time-waster, but not anything more.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:32 AM

Friends was just stupid.

Seinfeld was supposed to be "revolutionary" because it didn't have typical sit-com plot lines (which was good), but the jokes themselves were still typical sit-com jokes. (Seinfeld was a stand-up comedian, so it was pretty much the same old tired stand-up comedy style of jokes.)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Seinfeld, no contest.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:53 AM

Could the poll be anymore lopsided? I mean, what's the deal?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I liked Friends, couldn't stand Seinfeld.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Seinfeld was certainly the more innovative show conceptually, but the characters were such relentless assholes that I could never really get into it. Also, as someone said in another thread, that slap-bass thing they'd do for every scene transition quickly got to be like nails on a chalkboard. With that said, for me only the first four seasons or so of Friends were worth watching. I completely lost interest around the time Ross got involved with the annoying British lady and Chandler hooked up with Monica.

So, Friends by a nose, although I'm really done with both of them.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 08-25-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:23 AM

'Seinfeld' for me, despite none of the characters being at all likeable. Great writing made for great humor.

'Friends' comes off to me as yet another cliche and inane sitcom.

This: " I watched the first five minutes of a Friends episode the other day (I was getting ready to take my cat to the vet and couldn't be bothered to change the channel) and couldn't believe how sophomoric it was: lame joke after lame joke, all followed by the most annoying canned laughter ever.

Bingo.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:27 AM

Seinfeld had some funny season and some very funny episodes. The fact the characters were not very likable leaves it out of my top sitcom grouping. I think Friends was stupid and dumb and never liked it.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The shows were not in the same league. Friends was the Seinfeld Triple A affilliate.
Agreed. This isn’t even a fair fight. A closer match-up would be Friends vs. Saved by the Bell. They’re kind of the same show to me.
Zach and Slater are like Chandler and Ross. Kelly and Jessie are like Monica and Rachel. And Screech is like a Phoebe/Joey love child.

Last edited by Hampshire; 08-25-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
The fact the characters were not very likable leaves it out of my top sitcom grouping.
I didn't find the characters nearly as unlikable as everyone else has. Hell, I didn't even notice they were unlikable until all the commentary I've read on the Dope many years after the end of the series. I guess what does that say about me as a person? Then again, I love sitcoms like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where the characters are very obviously unlikable. I mean, I hang out with likable people, so, for me, it's more fun to watch that which I am not as familiar with. But, seriously, I never really got the whole Seinfeld-characters-are-a-bunch-of-sociopaths thing. They had their quirks, but I never really found them particularly unlikable.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-25-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Seinfeld by far, they don't even belong in the same conversation.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 AM

Ive seen every episode of Seinfeld many times; some I've loved, others not so much. I tried to watch just one episode of Friends, but had to turn it off, it was just dumb.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
Could the poll be anymore lopsided? I mean, what's the deal?
I saw what you did there.

For me, it's Seinfeld all the way. I could watch a rerun for the 100th time and still enjoy it. I've never watched even a single episode of Friends.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:32 AM
SDSAB

I like them both very much, but Seinfeld's first season or two were pretty uneven, and I found Friends to be consistently funny from start to finish.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Seinfeld by a mile. I've never watched an entire episode of Friends. I am kind of a fan of Matt LeBlanc though, he was great in Episodes.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I like 'em both, but if I were on Death Row and had to choose, "Seinfeld" is my choice.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Seinfeld. Friends is just an average cliched sitcom that hasn't aged well.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Voted for Seinfeld. There's lot of great quotes still in use ("I'm out!" "Moops" "Not that there's anything wrong with that") but I can't think of too many from Friends.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:32 PM

1000% for Seinfeld. (I admit I loathe Friends more than any other tv show I've ever seen, and that includes Fox News.)
Old 08-25-2019, 06:19 PM

Seinfeld, by a mile. It was the I Love Lucy of the nineties.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Friends is 100% raw sewer garbage.

Seinfeld isnt the best, but it is at least in consideration for top 10 best shows ever.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Friends.

I loathe Seinfeld. Friends was a solidly executed if unoriginal sitcom.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:45 PM

Seinfeld was so innovative for its time and there have been many shows that wanted to be like it, that I think sometimes people forget how original it was at the time.

That said Jerry Seinfeld, even from the beginning of the show, and as a person seems like an arrogant prick, but there was something about him I always found funny.

I'm convinced that Curb Your Enthusiasm was what Seinfeld always wanted to be, but being on basic cable and the time period couldn't be that risqué.

Larry David is one of the funniest guys ever in the context of just his contrarian nature, way of speaking, and whole manner, though he was never an exceptional stand-up comic, I doubt he really had much interest in stand-up. After watching Curb Your Enthusiasm I'm convinced that Seinfeld's whole schtick was really sort of lifting from Larry David's personality, even though George was the character that was supposed to emulate him.

I don't think Friends deserves to even really be in contention, it's just a cliched, pap, filler kinda show, Everyone Loves Raymond is a similar sort of bland, unoriginal show, where every episode feels the same.

Last edited by pool; 08-25-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I don't think Friends deserves to even really be in contention, it's just a cliched, pap, filler kinda show, Everyone Loves Raymond is a similar sort of bland, unoriginal show, where every episode feels the same.
I voted Seinfeld for many of your reasons, but I think (a) Friends preceded Raymond, and I never identified with Raymond. He was married, inlaws, blah-blah-blah. Despite not living in NYC, we accepted that we didn't live in NYC, but had many of the same issues. Brothers and sisters. Work. Significant others. It was the single life, and as they started to pair off, we did, too.

Seinfeld wins versus Friends, because it appeals to Gen X and Boomers. Everyone loves Raymond is beloved by Boomers, and Friends is definitely Gen X.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

This thread inspired me to go back and start watching Seinfeld again. I'm up to S2E2, "The Pony Remark". Early in the episode he's talking to his father about his softball game, and when I saw this, I just had to hit pause and grab a screenshot!

Last edited by blondebear; 08-25-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premislaus View Post
Seinfeld. Friends is just an average cliched sitcom that hasn't aged well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Friends.

I loathe Seinfeld. Friends was a solidly executed if unoriginal sitcom.
I think Friends has held up much better because of its solid execution. Matthew Perry and Lisa Kudrow were comedically brilliant, and Jennifer Anniston and (the hated) David Schwimmer could reach down and put genuine emotion into the interminable Ross/Rachel story.

Put it this way. The 10 best Seinfeld episodes are probably 300% better than the 10 best Friends episodes. But the 236 Friends episodes are better than the 173 Seinfeld episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar
Seinfeld wins versus Friends, because it appeals to Gen X and Boomers. Everyone loves Raymond is beloved by Boomers, and Friends is definitely Gen X.
Well, I'm a Boomer, and I prefer Friends. ELR is not beloved by Boomers; Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts are what Boomers loved about ELR.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Seinfeld is one of the best sitcoms ever made, as a whole.

Friends is disposable garbage with no actual humor.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Neither show appealed to me, but I absolutely can't stand Jerry Seinfeld. So if forced to choose, I guess it would have to be Friends.
I find it hard to believe that a comparison is even being made. Seinfeld (the show) was revolutionary, while Friends was a poorly executed shameless wannabe. I still rewatch Seinfeld occasionally, though not every episode was stellar, and I find some of the supposedly highly rated early shows to be stilted and annoying. But they really got into their stride after a few seasons. I just tend to avoid the occasional shows during the height of their popularity where they sometimes become annoyingly self-important, as if some quip on the show is going to launch a new cultural meme. I do know what you mean about Jerry Seinfeld, though. Something about him really grates on the nerves. Yet somehow on the show, his lackadaisical attitude, practically wallowing in his inability to act and snickering at his own jokes, somehow just made it funnier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:04 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I may be mistaken, but I'm detecting an ever-so-slight preference for Seinfeld. A good show, but it was no Friends.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I may be mistaken, but I'm detecting an ever-so-slight preference for Seinfeld. A good show, but it was no Friends.
That's good. Because Friends is sewer garbage.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:22 PM

I've found Friends and Seinfeld both to be the comfort food of television. Like choosing between meatloaf with mashed potatoes or pepperoni pizza with a pitcher of Coke. Both remind me of happy times from my youth, both offer memories of satisfaction that are greater than the reality they deliver when consumed today, and neither leave me wanting more. Neither can be judged too harshly nor dwelt upon for too long.

And with that, it's Seinfeld by a country mile.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 08-25-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:29 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Both remind me of happy times from my youth, both offer memories of satisfaction that are greater than the reality they deliver when consumed today ...
Dunno, but for me, Friends may feel fresher, because apart from a single episode watched in a Kuala Lumpur hotel room in 1999 (before the TV set literally blew up and we were left without one), I'd not watched it before returning to the US three years ago.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:59 PM

I never missed either one when they were on, and I hated the last seasons of both. So it's hard to differentiate. But the way the Friends cared for each other showed. They weren't just foils for each other's set-up lines the way the Seinfeldians were. They felt like real people. The scene that came to mind was the group of them diving on Rachel to put the drops in her eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lCLXFFp9s
Old 08-26-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
I think Friends has held up much better because of its solid execution. Matthew Perry and Lisa Kudrow were comedically brilliant, and Jennifer Anniston and (the hated) David Schwimmer could reach down and put genuine emotion into the interminable Ross/Rachel story.

Put it this way. The 10 best Seinfeld episodes are probably 300% better than the 10 best Friends episodes. But the 236 Friends episodes are better than the 173 Seinfeld episodes.
. . .
I agree with this. Seinfeld had more dry wit, and more intellectual depth. Friends had more humanity, and more emotional depth. It's apples and oranges. I happen to like both kinds of shows, but found Seinfeld vaguely exhausting, like I had to fight to stay in a good mood afterward. Friends put me in a better mood.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:26 AM

I liked Friends at the time, never liked Seinfeld (and absolutely loathe Curb Your Enthusiasm). Haven't really seen much of either since.

I also liked Joey, and Episodes, I think Matt LeBlanc's comedy chops are undersold.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:31 AM

Love Seinfeld (the show and the comedian)and have really fond memories of watching Friends at the same time as everyone else and it was a fun thing to have in common. I think Seinfeld is the superior show in every way yet I find myself watching Friends reruns more often. Of course, I think they're probably shown more often,but even when Seinfeld is on, I often pass it by. For the purposes of the poll, I vote Seinfeld.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:26 AM

I loved Seinfeld, watched every episode multiple times.

I've never seen a complete episode of Friends.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
This.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:47 AM

I've never seen Friends.

When it first came on, I hated Seinfeld. A lot of it was because Jerry Seinfeld is such a horrible actor, always sniggering and glancing at the camera. I caught a few of the later episodes in reruns, and I found out the stories were actually pretty good. Even Jerry didn't seem so irritating.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I doubt that I could hang out with the Friends for longer than 10 minutes.

Seinfeld and his cahoots, however, are very interesting and more in my league: Creative funny types looked down on by most people.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 AM

I will give Friends this: at the end of the final episode they used Jorma Kaukonen's Embryonic Journey as the end credits rolled.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Friends, hands down.

-God
Old 08-26-2019, 10:09 AM

Seinfeld, 100%. I have tried to watch Friends but it seems so flighty and vapid that I can't take more than 5 minutes of it. The Seinfeld cast just resonates with me, the casting of George, Elaine, and Kramer is perfect. And I like the "show about nothing" vibe where it picks apart the little oddities in life. The way the plotlines often intersect at the end is great too. You can tell the writers really respected the old vaudville/sitcom/comedy standards but modernized and sometimes subverted them.