Old 08-26-2019, 06:40 AM

Victorinox Huntsman and an Opinel No. 6
Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I still carry my Boy Scout knife, despite the fact that it's now starting to show its age. I carry it more out of nostalgia (and have had to send it to myself from the airport three times when it turned up, forgotten, in my luggage).

I sometimes carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (I don't know the number) when I need something new. And I recently got a no-name multitool that I'll sometimes carry, as well.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
First of all, many thanks to those who posted. I'm a bit surprised by the popularity of the Swiss army knives, they always just seemed rather gimmicky and kind of shoddy to me. My experience is rather limited with them though so I should probably give them another look before commenting further..
Make sure it's an actual Victorinox (or maybe Wenger, I think they may also make quality but am not sure). I had a knockoff once, briefly. It was a piece of junk. The genuine ones are well made.

Gimmicky, maybe. But there are a lot of different versions; no need to get one with a lot of tools if all you want is a knife blade or two.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Make sure it's an actual Victorinox (or maybe Wenger, I think they may also make quality but am not sure).
Victorinox and Wenger have been one company since 2003.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:41 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I still carry my Boy Scout knife, despite the fact that it's now starting to show its age. I carry it more out of nostalgia (and have had to send it to myself from the airport three times when it turned up, forgotten, in my luggage).

I sometimes carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (I don't know the number) when I need something new. And I recently got a no-name multitool that I'll sometimes carry, as well.
My experience with no-name multi-tools is that they are complete crap, just like knock-off SAKs. This is one area where paying for a quality item is a very good idea.

But you do occasionally get into "collector mode" with them. I think I own every Leatherman Juice model ever produced, including the "Costco-only" model.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:08 PM

I have a Gerber paraframe mini pocket knife and a Gerber Shard multitool on my keychain. (so far, all I've done is open a single bottle with it)

I bought the combo for $5 because it had the knife in it, and figured why not put the shard on the keychain if I have it anyway.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:11 PM

I always have a Leatherman micra with me, and I use the scissors, bottle opener, and knife blade a lot. I use the screwdrivers and file too, but not as much.
I actually have 3 or 4 micras. The kids kept giving them to me for Christmas until I told them to stop.
I like the look of that Squirt though.

I also habitually carry a chinese knockoff of a Kershaw leek because I open a lot of boxes and I like being able to open my knife with one hand when I've got a box, or something, in the other.

I used to work for a well-known knife manufacturer and carried more expensive knives, but I would always lose them. I lose my cheap chinese knife too, but I always find it again. Go figure.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Todays SAK's use EN 1.4110 Martensitic Stainless Steel for their blades. It is a fairly nice price-point stainless steel. The can be sharpened to a nice push cutting edge and are highly rust resistant if being a bit softer than the more expensive options. Really you will just have to sharpen them more often than more expensive options.

Really the only way clones of the SAK can reduce price is by using a cheaper steel which will more of a compromise based on cost. As the toughness and corrosion resistance is a huge reason for the SAK gaining popularity that is an issue.

During the 70's or 80's (not sure) they had versions that are stamped "Economy" and/or didn't have flutes on the corkscrew that were made from a much lower grade steel and were IMHO garbage for actual use. I think post 9/11 crash they only produce the halfway decent knifes these days. But these cheap knifes were also produced by Victorinox but were just aimed at a much lower price point.

Last edited by rat avatar; 08-26-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:35 PM

oh, SAK = Swiss Army Knife.

That little TSA-compliant tool looks handy. If it's small enough I might pick one up.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:45 PM

I bought an overpriced Benchmade because their locking system was supposed to be amazing (I've had a couple lock back mechanisms fail). Their axis lock is pretty good, but the blade does have annoying play side to side. I donated one to TSA too, which is really annoying at the price point.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Some variety of push-release Kershaw. It's a Grid but I've used Leeks in the past as well.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Make sure it's an actual Victorinox (or maybe Wenger, I think they may also make quality but am not sure). I had a knockoff once, briefly. It was a piece of junk. The genuine ones are well made.
In my time, I've purchased two different genuine Victorinox knives. Both were purchased within about two years of each other in the early 90s. The first one had one of the decorative plastic side pieces pop off from a fall I wouldn't have expected to hurt it. My brother tossed me the (closed) knife, I fumbled it and the knife fell about 10 feet down a carpeted stairway. Upon examination, while attempting to glue the piece back on, I noticed that one of the rivets holding the thing together was loose. It either came loose from the fall or wasn't set correctly at the factory. This knife was replaced under warranty and it served me well for ocational use. I think I may still have it in a box somewhere but I haven't seen it since my last move. Knife number two was a much smaller model that was easier for everyday carry. The blade snapped off entirely while I was peeling an apple. I pretty much swore off the brand at that time.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:36 AM

I have a Spyderco Delica 4 that my dad gave me. I’ve always thought knives were really cool.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 AM

I have a Craftsman 4-way pocket screwdriver and a round spark plug gapper on one key ring as key finders. I have a key shaped penknife on the other key ring.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
My experience with no-name multi-tools is that they are complete crap, just like knock-off SAKs.
And that, to me, is exactly the point. I have carried a knife or multi-tool in my pocket just about every day since I was 6-7 years old. When I get dressed, the knife/tool goes in my pocket just like my car keys, it's second nature and I don't consciously think about it. Because of that, I have donated so many knives/tools to TSA, arenas, government buildings, etc. that I decided that my everyday carry will be a cheap no-name. It's a feature, not a bug!

Last edited by Doctor Jackson; 08-27-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:18 PM

I have a Victorinox Rucksack in red with a locking blade and I added the eyeglass screwdriver in the corkscrew. I've had it a lot of years and recently had it serviced when the scales started to separate and the awl was twisted from use. Came back as good as new and under warranty. I made a thread about it some time ago, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Great tools! I've also had a Spyderco Delica for a while and they make great knives as well!
Old 08-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Victorinox Explorer, which has more than I need but everything I want.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:01 PM

I quit carrying a pocket knife everyday many years ago, when I started flying more frequently.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:27 PM

I don't carry anything but I keep a well equipped tool box in my car
Old 08-27-2019, 05:44 PM

I carry a Victorinox swiss army card in my wallet (of the model pictured). I use its knife, scissors, and/or toothpick on a near daily basis, and now and again the tweezers or the screwdriver on the end of the nail file.

It's a few times thicker than the average card but my wallet is a few times thicker than the average wallet. (It's a big leather thing my grandfather gave me a couple decades ago. It's getting pretty beat up; maybe I should replace it. (The card knife I mean, not the wallet. The wallet's beat up too but it's not going anywhere.)
Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
oh, SAK = Swiss Army Knife.

That little TSA-compliant tool looks handy. If it's small enough I might pick one up.
It's a shade over 2" long.

Honestly, I don't really miss having a real knife. I value getting through security with zero delays and zero brainpower more than I value having a knife these days.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:07 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by black rabbit View Post
It's a shade over 2" long.

Honestly, I don't really miss having a real knife. I value getting through security with zero delays and zero brainpower more than I value having a knife these days.
I seldom fly but when I do I just leave my knife home. And it drives me NUTS. I've had a "jackknife" of some sort in my pocket since I was 11 (58 years ago). Feels almost like a "naked in public" dream not to have my knife with me.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:48 PM

I have way too many pocket knives. My favorites lately have been the benchmade phaeton and the crooked river mini. The phaeton was an impulse buy due to a very good sale and it’s surprisingly useful. Never having to touch the blade or shift my hand at all makes it safe and secure even up on a ladder or while holding something large and unwieldy.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:03 AM

I've got a Kershaw Blur clipped inside my pocket. I sprung for the S30V powdered steel version. Had it a little over a year and it's still razor sharp, with every day use.

Also have a Buck 397 Omni folder on the belt, that's the "big" knife. It's actually not that much longer than the Kershaw, but it's much wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Like the wise man said, if you carry a knife, there are two questions you hear every day:
1. “Why do you carry a knife????
2. “Can I borrow your knife?”
A long time ago my mother was looking at my knife and asked "What if someone takes it from you and uses it against you?" I pulled out the other one, the big one, and said, "That's what this one's for!"
Old 08-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I generally carry a Kershaw Halogen. Like many of their knives it has the "speed safe" tab for one handed operation. Very handy if you're already holding something that needs cutting.

I've had, and still have many knives purchased over the years. CRKT is a reasonably good brand for a price point conscious buyer.

Recently bought my first Zero Tolerance blade and can see more of those in my future.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 AM

In the center console of my car, have some ratty Buck all-metal folding knife I found in a parking lot. The tip originally looked like it was busted but closer examination makes me think it was intentionally made that way. Picture a standard pocket/hunting knife but the tip is cut at a 45 degree angle rather than coming up gradually. I couldn't find a picture of it on their website.

Anyway, like I said, I found it in the parking lot of a nature preserve (probably part of someone's fishing kit) and it's come in handy once or twice but not enough to warrant carrying one on my person.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
In the center console of my car, have some ratty Buck all-metal folding knife I found in a parking lot. The tip originally looked like it was busted but closer examination makes me think it was intentionally made that way. Picture a standard pocket/hunting knife but the tip is cut at a 45 degree angle rather than coming up gradually. I couldn't find a picture of it on their website.

Anyway, like I said, I found it in the parking lot of a nature preserve (probably part of someone's fishing kit) and it's come in handy once or twice but not enough to warrant carrying one on my person.
If it is this one, the blade is supposed to be that way.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
If it is this one, the blade is supposed to be that way.
Hey, that's the one! I couldn't find it on Buck's own site.

Yeah, at first I thought someone just pitched it after snapping the end but then, when I examined it closer, it looked as though the "broken" part still had a honed edge so I figured it must be intentional. Do you know what the point (heh) of the blade is? It must serve some purpose to be made like that.

Last edited by Jophiel; 08-28-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Do you know what the point (heh) of the blade is? It must serve some purpose to be made like that.
It's a "Japanese style" tip. They are intended primarily for puncturing/penetration, so they are a popular style for combat knives. Not as good at cutting/slicing as a blade with a belly, but you can still use it as a utility knife.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
I seldom fly but when I do I just leave my knife home. And it drives me NUTS. I've had a "jackknife" of some sort in my pocket since I was 11.... Feels almost like a "naked in public" dream not to have my knife with me.
This. Only I fly pretty frequently. And as a result, I've accidentally smuggled several knives through TSA, and had to check my luggage a couple of times.

I use a knife to cut off a loose hangnail. Or to slice a piece of fruit. Or to peel a piece of fruit. Or to pick my teeth. Or to open a box. Or to sharpen a pencil. Or just as a fidget toy.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:34 PM

I have 4-5 knives, a Swiss Army knife (Picnicker, I think) a similar knife of German make, a Mercator lock blade, an old Schrade, similar to the Buck 110, and a very small, maybe 1.25 inch blade, all stainless Buck. The only tool I actually carry around daily is a Palamino Blackwing 602.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:04 PM

Don't you need a knife to sharpen your Blackwing?
Old 08-29-2019, 07:28 PM

I carry a Swiss Army knife, either a Spartan (if there's a chance I'll need a corkscrew) or a deluxe tinker (if pliers are more likely).

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 08-29-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Don't you need a knife to sharpen your Blackwing?
That’s why I have all those knives stashed all over the place.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
A long time ago my mother was looking at my knife and asked "What if someone takes it from you and uses it against you?" I pulled out the other one, the big one, and said, "That's what this one's for!"
(NYC mugger pulls out a 3-inch pocket knife)
Hot Babe (panicked): “He’s got a knife!”
Australian Guy: “‘At’s naw a knoife...”
(pulls out a ten-inch fixed blade)
Australian Guy: “‘AT’S a KNOIFE.”
Crocodile Dundee

Me and my pinko friends are all urban sophisticate anti-gun types, and most of them are horrified that I enjoy knives. Sorry, dudes, I like to be able to slice cheese on picnics.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 08-29-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:41 AM

I carry 2: Gerber Evo Jr. in my pocket, Swisstech Utilitkey as a pendant. The Gerber is small and lightweight but big enough to, eg, cut an apple in half, and it's a one-handed opener (convenient) but not springloaded (safer).

The Utilikey is nice because of the little tiny Phillips-head screwdriver. I've also learned how to trim my fingernails with the serrated bit, eliminating the need to carry scissors. Theoretically it has a bottle openiner as well, but I've never tried it out.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapax Legomenon View Post
I carry 2: Gerber Evo Jr. in my pocket, Swisstech Utilitkey as a pendant. The Gerber is small and lightweight but big enough to, eg, cut an apple in half, and it's a one-handed opener (convenient) but not springloaded (safer).

The Utilikey is nice because of the little tiny Phillips-head screwdriver. I've also learned how to trim my fingernails with the serrated bit, eliminating the need to carry scissors. Theoretically it has a bottle openiner as well, but I've never tried it out.
Oooh! I just bought a utili-key. If it works for hangnails, it may replace the little key knife I'm carrying now.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:04 AM

SOG Twich 2 here - i've bought a few others I thought might replace it (Benchmade, Kershaw, etc) - but the twich just sits perfecty on the pocket.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I used to carry a big Swiss Army knife, then I started working in a federal facility with heavy entry screening. Not allowed. Also not allowed on airplanes. I just gave up on carrying anything with a blade. I carry a small tool that is a tiny pair of pliers with straight and Philips screwdrivers. Fits in the palm of my hand.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:12 PM

No pocket knife here. I haven't had one since i was a boy. I tried to put together a bed frame with a leatherman tool once and after it kept twisting in my hand I went out and bought a screwdriver (they didn't have anything besides the leatherman at the house I was helping a person to move into).
Am I the only one on earth who consistently opens all of his boxe/packages with his house keys?
Try it sometime they work great.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:22 PM

I carry daily one of several Chinese made Schrade pocket knives. I collect the USA made ones and carry the imports. The imports are a little crudely finished but the blade steel is decent. Depends on which ones have been sharpened recently.

I have a Leatherman Micro multi-tool in my backpack. It has a little pair of scissors that comes in handy sometimes.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjankis630 View Post
...Am I the only one on earth who consistently opens all of his boxe/packages with his house keys?
Try it sometime they work great.
I've done it. They work adequately. A sharp knife works much better.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I've done it. They work adequately. A sharp knife works much better.
Which I usually have in my kitchen drawer a few steps away. Amazon usually doesn't deliver to me when I'm off the grid in the wilderness.

Seriously I don't carry one because I usually have something that will work much better fairly close. Tool box with anything you could need in the garage, a smaller one in the trunk if I'm away.

A nail clipper seems to handle 99% of anything that comes up... a snagged nail, no problem, opening a box, use the nail file... trying to remove one of those things that holds the new socks together, not a problem.

If I need a wrench, screwdriver, corkscrew, can opener, bottle opener, or any other thing... the tools are usually not too far away to justify keeping a smaller version in my pocket.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
trying to remove one of those things that holds the new socks together, not a problem.
I absolutely hate these. It is like they are trying to mess with you by putting them in the most annoying places.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
I have no need of the huge multi-tools with nineteen different "features" that do nothing but add weight and cost.
Quote:
I also carry around a multitool that I rarely use; it's not particularly good at anything.
I carry a Leatherman Supertool ('98 vintage) most of the time, and find the above sentiments alien. I use almost every feature on the multitool regularly. We just moved, and I would've been semi-helpless without the Leatherman. Of course a tool the size of a Snickers bar that has two knives, pliers, wire cutters, a set of screwdrivers, a hacksaw, a woodsaw, a ruler and a can opener isn't "particularly good at anything". The point is that you have a whole toolbox on your belt wherever you go.

I got myself a Victorinox Swiss Champ 30 years ago, before there were any Leathermen (heh) in my locale. After getting the Supertool, I realised how toy-like the Very Best SAK really is. You have all the tools that the Leatherman has and then some, but with the SAK you can't actually do anything useful with the woodsaw, file or pliers. They are just too small and flimsy, no matter how well constructed from quality steel they are.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 AM

Actually, the swiss army knife file is one of the useful parts -- it's suitable for filing your nails if they get ragged. And the can-opener is a little slow, but works fine. Ditto bottle opener and cork screw and toothpick.

The tweezer is an exercise in frustration, and I agree that the saw blades and pliers and stuff aren't substantial enough to actually be useful. But as a multi-tool to prepare your picnic lunch, it's quite functional. I used one as such for years.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Actually, the swiss army knife file is one of the useful parts -- it's suitable for filing your nails if they get ragged. And the can-opener is a little slow, but works fine. Ditto bottle opener and cork screw and toothpick.

The tweezer is an exercise in frustration
Interesting. I find that the tweezers work fine but the toothpick is useless. (At least, as a toothpick. It is good for clearing certain types of spray nozzles if they get clogged. -- yes, organic farmers sometimes use sprayers. It's not the tool that's the issue, it's what you put in it.)

Maybe we have different size gaps between our teeth. About the tweezers I have no clue -- maybe we're trying to grip different sorts of things with them? I use them mostly for pulling out splinters or thorns in the field.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
it's suitable for filing your nails.
You made my point. When I use a file, I need to shape, sharpen or smoothen metal. YMMV.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:59 PM

It's definitely a nail file, not a metal file. I have use for a nail file, though. In fact, that's a handy thing to always have in a pocket.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
I like to carry a small, simple little pocket knife on my person as I go about my daily business. I don't want to carry anything too big and bulky and I have no need of the huge multi-tools with nineteen different "features" that do nothing but add weight and cost. For many years, my preferred blade has been an "Old-Timer" similar to THIS ONE. As far as I'm concerned, for my needs, a pocketknife doesn't need to get much more complicated than this.
My 'daily' pocketknife is the Buck 309. It's pretty similar to your Old Timer, but with a black resin body. I've had it for over 25 (!) years now. I sometimes carry a similar but slightly larger (and prettier) Gerber Stockman Stag pocketknife whose longer blade locks open, which is handy. It's like this one, but with two blades instead of three.

I also keep one of these on my keychain.

Last edited by Tangent; 09-10-2019 at 01:52 AM.