Old 09-02-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Lafleurs in Montreal. They were steamed, pale pink franks in a gummy hot dog roll. Tons of yellow mustard, relish and onions. Entirely delicious and unsatisfying at the same time. You could eat 4 of them and still barely feel like you've eaten. But yeah, when I think hot dogs to this day, I think Lafleurs in Ville St. Pierre, Montreal.
"Steamies"! It is to hot dogs what White Castles is to hamburgers. (I love the latter, I'm still a little confused about the former, but there is something about them, which is probably how a lot of people feel about WC's. I can't remember if it was a Lefleur's I went to while in Montreal to try the Montreal-style hot dog, but it's not unlikely that that was the place.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-02-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:49 AM

La....
Old 09-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Bayville NY, 4th of July. They put on an illegal homegrown fireworks display there every year on the beach, along the rim of a horseshoe shaped bay, fairly wealthy suburbanites blowing $10,000 apiece on some serious incendiaries. Hours and hours of things going FOOOM!!! out of tubes, arcing overhead and going kersplooey in bright colors, with people dancing to music from their radios. Grills everywhere.

A return trip after a few hours of just drinking beers and watching the show, damn I'm hungry, some remaining buns (cool), and grabbed the tongs and retrieved a pair of weiners that had been roasted to the point their casings had popped. Black scorchy stripes from the grill on all sides. Guldens on this one, Grey Poupon on the other, horseradish on both, some jalapeño slices on the first one, raw onions on the other. ETA: oh yeah sauerkraut, the kind that was rinsed and then fried in pork fat, both dogs. /ETA Now that's an independence day feast!

Last edited by AHunter3; 09-02-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:25 PM

I've never had a hot dog that I can remember as good. The closest is "choripán" with a pork sausage (chorizo*) and ciabatta. Some Peruvian-style mayo and a bit of mustard.

*no to be confused with Spanish chorizo, which is eaten raw. In Latin America, chorizo is coarse-ground pork (sometimes mixed with beef, rarely all-beef) sausage. In Spain, it's a cold cut.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ají de Gallina View Post
I've never had a hot dog that I can remember as good. The closest is "choripán" with a pork sausage (chorizo*) and ciabatta. Some Peruvian-style mayo and a bit of mustard.

*no to be confused with Spanish chorizo, which is eaten raw. In Latin America, chorizo is coarse-ground pork (sometimes mixed with beef, rarely all-beef) sausage. In Spain, it's a cold cut.
we're more likely to find Mexican chorizo in the US, which is very finely ground, very "loose" and fatty and would be hard to eat as a sausage link.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Cambridge, England, or Cambridge, Massachusetts?
England, although I have had a burger at Mr. Bartley's in Cambridge, MA
Old 09-02-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yesterday I had a Bauenwurst (“farm sausage” — seasoned like a kielbasa but German and fine-ground) from Schaller & Weber on 86th St and Second Ave, Manhattan, roasted and split on a fresh roll and covered in last week’s homemade chili out of the fridge, reheated.

Ooh la la.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:03 PM

As a just married & attending college person I worked at a Pittsburgh institution called Weiner World. Best dog's I ever had, and free for employees.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

The Boston Hot Dog Company in SAlem, MA sells an awesome variety of hot dogs. You can get an idea from the signs in some of these links. They deserve to be better patronized than they are, but they're a bit off the beaten tourist path (unless you're going to the Witch Dungeon).

I had a Thai dog that was outstanding there. They also sell veggie dogs

https://www.yelp.com/biz/boston-hot-dog-company-salem

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...achusetts.html
Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 AM

When I was at UNC Greensboro, there was a local hot dog and ice cream joint called Yum Yums. I never had the ice cream but the hot dogs were great. Especially the chili-cheese dogs. Have never forgotten them.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
. . . For a TRANSCENDANT frank, Chicago is your town. . . . .
Davis CA has a tiny place called the Hotdogger that serves many different hot dogs and sausages in many different ways, all excellent. So I was surprised when I bought a dog from a little cart between gates at O'hare Airport. It was a Chicago dog and it was excellent. When I told my friend, who had lived several places in the midwest, she said, "Of course, they take hot dogs seriously in Chicago."

One of my sons spent a high school year in New York state. He developed a fondness for Zweigle's hot dogs, especially the white ones. They're availabe online, but the shipping cost is steep.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
One of my sons spent a high school year in New York state. He developed a fondness for Zweigle's hot dogs, especially the white ones. They're availabe online, but the shipping cost is steep.
Heh, that's actually what we cooked up on the grill yesterday. Three Zweigle's white hots and three red hots, picked up from our road trip out east last month. Very nice hot dogs those are. The kids liked the white hots; mom liked the red hots; I really couldn't choose one myself, they're such different beasts. I'll vote white hots since they're more unusual.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:51 AM
SDSAB

The first time my parents took me to the Hot Dog Shoppe in East Liverpool, Ohio. Delicious dogs, melted cheese sauce with just the right texture, and handmade french fries that I could eat by the pound. I still go back there now and then - yum!
Old 09-03-2019, 11:08 AM

Rutt's Hut in Clifton, NJ., established in 1928. It's a landmark in northern New Jersey. They deep fry their dogs in hot oil so it's a little bit crunchy on the outside and so delicious! My parents went there when they were dating, I remember them taking my sister and me there when we were little. I still go there every so often.

Last edited by Emily Litella; 09-03-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
we're more likely to find Mexican chorizo in the US, which is very finely ground, very "loose" and fatty and would be hard to eat as a sausage link.
Fresh Mexican chorizo is totally fine in the casing. It's usually in open ended sections about 20 inches long. They're great grilled over lump charcoal.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Pinks near Hollywood. Get one with chili and cheese then another with just mustard. Natural casing, steamed.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Pinks near Hollywood. Get one with chili and cheese then another with just mustard. Natural casing, steamed.
Oooh. Just spent a few days in the area. We wanted to go to Pink's but couldn't make the time. I'm going to have to go back just for this.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Oooh. Just spent a few days in the area. We wanted to go to Pink's but couldn't make the time. I'm going to have to go back just for this.
Get the Carl Reiner Dog - 9" stretch dog with mustard and kraut. I'm also partial to the Lord of the Rings dog, which has BBQ sauce and onion rings.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Get the Carl Reiner Dog - 9" stretch dog with mustard and kraut. I'm also partial to the Lord of the Rings dog, which has BBQ sauce and onion rings.
Yep. But note the basic dog comes with chili, onions, etc.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Sometimes (I know! I know!) chili is contraindicated on a dog.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, which is why I get one with, then one without. And it does get messy.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:37 PM

I was just reminded of Tony Packo's in Toledo, made famous by M*A*S*H's Corporal Klinger.

Their hot dogs are difficult to describe. They're sort of more like Polish sausages, but sort of not. Kind of in between a typical dog and a brat, texture-wise, but with a unique spice profile. They're enormous, served split in half lengthwise and topped with a chili-like sauce.

I wouldn't normally advocate eating a hot dog with a knife and fork, but these almost require it.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The way I feel about it is, the cheaper and more Oscar-Mayer/Ballpark like the hot dog, the more I enjoy chili being put on it. I know you're not a fan of Cincinnati chili, but, man, when you take that bland little Skyline dog (which I believe is Kahn's) and put the chili on it, the sum is far greater than its parts.

That said, I have a chili dog maybe once a year ... maybe. And I probably have hot dogs averaging about once a week.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oh, no! See my previous post about having a Schaller & Weber bauenwurst topped with chili! FABULOUSO.

Boar’s Head does an all-beef smoked sausage loaded with crushed red pepper which in the perfect base (split) with chili. You barely need to add hot sauce.

The better the base sausage, the better the chili dog.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
The better the base sausage, the better the chili dog.
That makes logical sense, but I just don't like chili dogs unless they're saving a worthless sausage. Otherwise, I just prefer a bowl of chili or a good hot dog without chili.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:05 PM
SDSAB

I just had dinner and still my mouth is watering.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

A long time ago, in a mall some distance away, there was a small chain restaurant known as "Flamers". I strongly suggest you don't goggle that. They had a huge grill, and made the best cheese dogs--huge frankfurters, great buns and enough cheese to make the bun into a cheese sandwich after you ate the dog.

Alas, they are gone, with the whole company passing beyond the rim.....
Old 09-04-2019, 03:53 PM

I was a kid at the beach with my Mom, another sibling or two and when it’d be time to pack up and go home we would secretly hope and pray that she’d stop first at the Oceans 11 lounge, a beach bar on the ground floor of a Howard Johnson’s iirc.

Sunburnt and sandy with stiff salty hair we’d get to sit at the bar. It was dark and chilled by AC, we froze in there. Mom would order us foot long hotdogs on a grilled bun and a soda. She’d get a rum and coke smoke a couple cigarettes. The bar had a big window into the deep end of the swimming pool outside. We’d sit watch the people go swimming by, eat our foot longs.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:09 PM

Top Dog, Berkeley, Durant Ave., June, 1971.
I don't remember why exactly.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:03 PM

I can't point to one exact moment, but I'm guessing by best experience eating a hot dog is on a golf course at the turn, after not eating breakfast and possibly being hungover.

Washed down with a lemon - lime Gatorade.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 09-04-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:26 PM

My last year living in Winnipeg, I went to my first Jets game since the franchise came back to Winnipeg.

It was my birthday, and my best friend Stacy took me to the game. We got “Jets Dogs”. Foot-long in a garlic bread bun. Served with grilled onions, bacon, and mini perogies.

It was so good.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
My last year living in Winnipeg, I went to my first Jets game since the franchise came back to Winnipeg.

It was my birthday, and my best friend Stacy took me to the game. We got “Jets Dogs”. Foot-long in a garlic bread bun. Served with grilled onions, bacon, and mini perogies.

It was so good.
Holy shit. There's a place that tops hot dogs with pierogi? That is a fusion of cuisines I never imagined. I just love the sheer ridiculousness of it. I need one now.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Holy shit. There's a place that tops hot dogs with pierogi? That is a fusion of cuisines I never imagined. I just love the sheer ridiculousness of it. I need one now.
Pierogi and kielbasa, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! A match made in heaven!
Old 09-04-2019, 06:50 PM

Despite living most of my adult life in Chicago, if someone says, “hot dog,” I immediately think of Russ Ayres hot dog stand on Rt. 206 in Bordentown, NJ (not too far from Hamilton).

They weren’t great hot dogs. Boiled, supermarket buns, standard accoutrements like mustard, onions, sauerkraut, etc. It was, essentially, a hot dog cart with the barest minimum of a building around it to meet code. You could probably buy sodas and bags of chips to go with the dogs, and that’s about all.

Russ had this...rhythm to assembling a dog, with exaggerated arm motions as he dipped tongs into the water to pluck out a dog, or to pull out sauerkraut. He hardly (if ever) spoke to anyone. In my mind’s eye he never spoke at all. His actions were very fluid, almost like a dance.

It was also the place that I learned something about community. Russ was epileptic, and would occasionally have seizures while working. They were somewhere between what I think of as petit mal and grand mal. He wouldn’t visibly convulse, but he would start to waver a bit on his feet, and would eventually seem to just faint away. Unattended, he would fall to the floor, at risk of injury to himself due to the fall, or striking his head on something. After 5 minutes or so, he’d come back to himself and resume work.

I speak of community because everyone around knew this about Russ, so whenever I was in his shop and he started to seize, there was always someone who would run around the counter to catch him and gently lower him to the ground until the seizure passed. He didn’t have a caretaker or minder or anything; these were just customers. I don’t remember him ever saying, “thank you,” when he came to (like I said, I don’t remember him ever speaking at all), and whoever helped him never asked for thanks. The rest of the customers never commented, remarked, or made a big fuss. It’s just what happened sometimes when you went to Russ Ayres for a hot dog.

The shop is still there, but Russ died a while back. I don’t go there when I visit my folks; it’s not the same place. It does make me a little wistful whenever I pass it though. For all that I grew up in pretty bog-standard suburbia, I’m coming to realize that it was also kind of small-townish.

Anyway, whenever I hear the words, “hot dog,” that is the very first image that comes to mind, and I smile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Well, I looove a Chicago style dog.

But the Icelandic hot dog is easily its equal.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

It was on the occasion of my early Illumination, when on Friday I Went Off Alone and Joyously Partook of a Hot Dog.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
It was on the occasion of my early Illumination, when on Friday I Went Off Alone and Joyously Partook of a Hot Dog.
Did they make you One With Everything?

Did Change Come From Within?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I do not remember the food I eat. None of it, let alone junk snacks. I don't understand how anybody can even remember anything like this, let alone think back on it fondly. The amount of detail some of you can recall is remarkable.

This is all very weird to me.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Did they make you One With Everything?

Did Change Come From Within?
If he were a cannibal, he'd order One with Everybody.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
I do not remember the food I eat. None of it, let alone junk snacks. I don't understand how anybody can even remember anything like this, let alone think back on it fondly. The amount of detail some of you can recall is remarkable.

Go forth, and read Proust!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Pierogi and kielbasa, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! A match made in heaven!
Well, yeah...on a plate. With knife and fork gripped securely in each hand.

Kielbasa and pierogi served on a roll is a carb bomb. I don’t think I could finish one, even if I could fit it in my mouth.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Our Los Angeles office has a cafeteria where the menu changes daily.

Every now and then they offer the 'L.A. Street Dog'

It is a 1/4 lb dog, wrapped in bacon and grilled. The bun is toasted on the grill, then they add mayo.

They put the two together and cover with Pico De Gallo.

I miss the Los Angeles office.

-God
Old 09-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
Despite living most of my adult life in Chicago, if someone says, “hot dog,” I immediately think of Russ Ayres hot dog stand on Rt. 206 in Bordentown, NJ (not too far from Hamilton).

They weren’t great hot dogs. Boiled, supermarket buns, standard accoutrements like mustard, onions, sauerkraut, etc. It was, essentially, a hot dog cart with the barest minimum of a building around it to meet code. You could probably buy sodas and bags of chips to go with the dogs, and that’s about all.

Russ had this...rhythm to assembling a dog, with exaggerated arm motions as he dipped tongs into the water to pluck out a dog, or to pull out sauerkraut. He hardly (if ever) spoke to anyone. In my mind’s eye he never spoke at all. His actions were very fluid, almost like a dance.

It was also the place that I learned something about community. Russ was epileptic, and would occasionally have seizures while working. They were somewhere between what I think of as petit mal and grand mal. He wouldn’t visibly convulse, but he would start to waver a bit on his feet, and would eventually seem to just faint away. Unattended, he would fall to the floor, at risk of injury to himself due to the fall, or striking his head on something. After 5 minutes or so, he’d come back to himself and resume work.

I speak of community because everyone around knew this about Russ, so whenever I was in his shop and he started to seize, there was always someone who would run around the counter to catch him and gently lower him to the ground until the seizure passed. He didn’t have a caretaker or minder or anything; these were just customers. I don’t remember him ever saying, “thank you,” when he came to (like I said, I don’t remember him ever speaking at all), and whoever helped him never asked for thanks. The rest of the customers never commented, remarked, or made a big fuss. It’s just what happened sometimes when you went to Russ Ayres for a hot dog.

The shop is still there, but Russ died a while back. I don’t go there when I visit my folks; it’s not the same place. It does make me a little wistful whenever I pass it though. For all that I grew up in pretty bog-standard suburbia, I’m coming to realize that it was also kind of small-townish.

Anyway, whenever I hear the words, “hot dog,” that is the very first image that comes to mind, and I smile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What a great story.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I do not remember the food I eat. None of it, let alone junk snacks.
I wouldn't necessarily consider a hot dog a junk snack. For me, it's a satisfying and reasonably low calorie lunch, especially done Chicago style (about 160 calories on the dog, and then another hundred or so calories on the bun and then you got, what, onions, relish, pickle, hot peppers, mustard on a Chicago dog, so under 400 cals.) I personally eat it as a proper meal (skipping the fries, though.)

As for memory, well, some people live to eat, and other eat to live. You sound like the latter, and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people just don't get excited by food (which is something completely alien to me, as a lot of family and friend bonding I have is over food and the culture behind food), but surely you have something that triggers memories for you, like smells or hearing a piece of music, or seeing a movie, etc.... Same sort of thing for the rest of us in this thread, except with food. Some of my strongest memories involve food, and it's almost never a particularly "foodie" meal, but rather some little bit of local culture or food that brings back memories of a friend/acquaintance, family member. Or simply just a time in my life.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-05-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
What a great story.
A lot of great stories here-I've had to loosen my belt just from reading them.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:

This makes me sad.

-God
Old 09-05-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:

At the end of a week of camping at Assateague Island, Maryland, I caught a bushel of blue crabs and raked a bag of clams. I kept my catch alive and happy for the 8(?) hour drive home.

The next day I bought some freshly picked corn and invited friends over for crabs, corn, and clams. Some of my friends had never been outside of Pennsylvania, and had never seen a live crab in person. After a brief demonstration, everyone dug in. Although I don't remember most of the people's names, I can remember the tastes, smells, and happiness I experienced.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:

I'm somewhat like this for many foodstuffs; however, I'm currently in my own happy world of rediscovering foods I have been unable to eat for over seven years.

A few weeks ago I stopped into my favorite Polish meat market and picked up some old fashioned hot dogs. It had been at least seven years since I had any kind of hot dog, and probably 35 years since I had a real butcher shop old fashioned hot dog. Alas, they are no longer sold in a large string.

Simple roll and slater of mustard only. It snapped. It was spicy. It was so good, and brought back memories of hanging out at my grandparent's house, my grandmother fussing at my grandpa in Ukrainian, him fussing back at her in Czech.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
This makes me sad.
Well, I do have sense memories, and I can recall a multitude of events throughout my life in great detail, it's just that none of them are in relation to food.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Well, I do have sense memories, and I can recall a multitude of events throughout my life in great detail, it's just that none of them are in relation to food.
You aren't instantly transported back in time when you taste or smell something you sampled many years before but haven't thought of since?