Old 08-28-2019, 03:46 PM

Baby Strongman Events?

A few of my buddies and I are thinking about trying to compete in a strongman competition in a couple of years. ...A couple, since in talks with a strongman trainer that's probably how long it will take to even get competitive at the bottom of the bottomest amateur level. We're basically building from nothing.

With that sort of long-distance commitment, we'd like to have a midpoint or two to try and challenge ourselves at.

I have thought of highland games as the sort of event that might be strongman-ish without requiring quite as much raw strength. My trainer suggested powerlifting.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I.e. a strength sport that is fairly varied, doesn't require a lot of running, but doesn't require you to deadlift 1000 pounds.

Follow-on question: There's a highland games that is near me, but they seem to only allow 12 "elite" competitors and 12 "normal" competitors. Is there a version of the games somewhere that's more open to all comers? Since we're a group, we wouldn't want to risk that some of us didn't get accepted because they're only accepting a finite number. We can fly around to somewhere else in the country (the US) if necessary.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 08-28-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:50 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Moved to the Game Room.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 PM

I hope I'm not the only person who saw the thread title and thought, "what kind of parent would put their baby in a competition like this?"
Old 08-28-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
I hope I'm not the only person who saw the thread title and thought, "what kind of parent would put their baby in a competition like this?"
No, the proper rearing cycle is that once they start to crawl, you find a jungle and leave them somewhere in the middle with a flint knife. If they make their way back out before the age of two, then you can start training them to be a strongman - but by that point they're no longer a baby.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:01 PM

Unfortunately, studies have revealed that babies are stupid.
http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~arobic/funny/babies.html
“Over 90 percent of them, when poked, failed to make even rudimentary attempts to defend themselves. The remaining 10 percent responded by vacating their bowels.”
Old 08-28-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
Barney Rubble?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Suspended

I don't think I would recommend preparing for one sport by preparing for a different sport. The odd lifts in strong man competition are generally different than any other, and the transfer from, say, deadlifting to picking up stones is not direct.

If you are really starting from zero, certainly a general six-eight months of general strength training is a good idea. After that, it would be more efficient to start practicing the actual lifts in whatever strong man event you want to enter.

In general, strong man events involve lifting things that are not only heavy, but awkward. That is, you have to lift something that is further from your center of gravity than a standard barbell. Power cleans are great for developing explosive strength in the legs and lower back, but done properly the bar passes as close to the front of your body as you can manage. And the technique of a clean is rather different from picking up a stone.

So, maybe after a few months of pre-conditioning, pick out the events you actually want to do in competition, and start getting better at those. If you are going to do the farmer walk, set a goal of whatever time you want to achieve and start practicing the farmer walk. If you are going to be pressing logs overhead, get hold of a log and start pressing it.

The primary principles of strength training are specificity, and overload. You get stronger at doing something by doing that something, not something else. And you have to make it harder and harder to do that something over time, so you progress. The Bulgarian Olympic lifting team was famous for only doing three lifts - the squat, the snatch, and the clean and jerk - and working up to a max single in all three five or six days a week. They could get away with it, because they were on more steroids than a Tijuana pharmacy, and because if one of them burned out or got injured, there were a dozen other Bulgarians eager to get away from being a factory worker or a farm hand and making the team. So it may not be a system to emulate, but it demonstrates the principles.

Work a lot on legs - not just back- and front-squats, but heavy, high-rep lunges and split squats and so forth. Lots of grip work. And you will see if your lower back can take the necessary punishment. And forget about looking like a bodybuilder - that's almost un-related to strongman. Don't waste a lot of energy on bench pressing and curls, in other words.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-31-2019, 07:46 PM

Throwing old xerox machines?