View Poll Results: Regarding DVD purchases
I still buy them. 89 64.96%
I used to but don’t anymore. 34 24.82%
I never did. 14 10.22%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2019, 09:37 PM

Do you buy DVDs/BluRays?

I used to but with all the streaming options, I really don’t see a use anymore.

Poll coming.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:44 PM

I voted 'used to' but I recently bought a few when my DirecTV was down.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I can think of several reasons why someone might buy DVDs instead of streaming:
1. There's something they want to watch that isn't available on any streaming service,
2. There's something they want to watch that isn't available on any streaming service that they already subscribe to, and it's cheaper to buy the DVD than to sign up for a(nother) streaming service.
3. There's something they like enough that they want to have it always available to watch—and who knows how long the streaming services will keep it available?
4. Their internet is too limited (in speed, or reliability, or amount of data they're allowed to use) to make streaming practical.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

I buy them because I don't want to sign up for multiple streaming services to see what I want to see more than once (sometimes just once -- you can sometimes get them for less than what it costs to stream one if you don't want the monthly service).
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:49 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I buy them for things that aren't available on Netflix.

Aside from the availability of shows, all things being equal I prefer DVDs because:

-they're easier to rewind or fast forward.
-no buffering problems from a poor connection
-more subtitle options.
-though not as common as previously, they offer extras like deleted scenes, commentary, and other items.

If you just want something to watch, then streaming might cover your needs. But if you want to watch specific movies/shows, DVDs provide more options.

Last edited by Colibri; 08-31-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:10 PM

I buy them used, $2 for a DVD, $4 for a bluray. I mostly buy them for commentaries. My collection is very small, right around 40, and I bought 25 of those 40 for the commentary tracks.

Also bluray looks better on my hd (not 4k) tv than either cable or streaming. Streaming looks about the same as when my bluray player up-samples a regular DVD -- which it is remarkably good at -- while cable is in between that and actual bluray.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 08-31-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Yes, but only in packs. Mainly, anyway. We have bought:

Maze Runner Trilogy Blu-ray - $20
Back to the Future Trilogy: $13
Harry Potter 8-pack: $25
Mission Impossible 5-pack(there were only 5 at the time): $20
Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy, with Features: $25

These deals we get on Amazon sometimes are just too good to turn down.

We price-watch and just grab them when they go on deep discount.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:41 PM

If there's something I'll want to watch more than once, or a classic that I'll want in years to come, I'll buy it. Either in digital form*, or a DVD/Blu-ray disc.

I mean, do any of us really trust that Netflix will always have That Show You Love? If you truly love it, and want to show your grandkids, you'll need to own it.

Now, you should own it in a format that'll be accessible decades from now. Are we sure there'll be DVD players? How will those interface with the new Sub-Q Visual Cortex Interface? (That's sub-cutaneous, Squiv-See™ for short).
*So will .mp4s (using the H.264 codec) on a Solid-State Hard Drive have the most longevity? Or am I safe for a few decades with DVDs?

Hey, I have a friend with shelves and shelves full of every bestselling movie prior to 2000 on LaserDisc...
Old 08-31-2019, 11:06 PM

I'd buy one occasionally just because. And I bought a small number of DVDs that were my favorites (for example, the blu-ray versions of Fantasia and Becket) and/or hard to find.

But a few years ago I began accessing a network of suburban Chicago libraries (as a guest from the Chicago Public Library), and together they have a huge number of DVDs. And since each suburb runs its own library, each staff has its own tastes, which results in some obscure and interesting choices. So I've been checking out and copying DVDs which were interesting but which I probably wouldn't have bought.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

We prefer physical copies but will buy digital versions when physical copies are unavailable or too expensive.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-01-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:28 AM

I rarely buy new DVDs anymore, but I still regularly shop for used ones. There's a couple of pawn shops near where I live where you can buy them for a buck each, which is cheaper than what it cost to rent them back in the day. If I can't find something I particularly feel like watching on Netflix, I'll hit up those pawn shops and see what's available.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Now, you should own it in a format that'll be accessible decades from now. Are we sure there'll be DVD players? How will those interface with the new Sub-Q Visual Cortex Interface? (That's sub-cutaneous, Squiv-See™ for short).
*So will .mp4s (using the H.264 codec) on a Solid-State Hard Drive have the most longevity? Or am I safe for a few decades with DVDs?

Hey, I have a friend with shelves and shelves full of every bestselling movie prior to 2000 on LaserDisc...
If I see a cheap working VCR in a thrift store, I buy it and stick it in a closet. I have a good sized collection of videotapes (some movies never got released on digital). And the last company that made VCR's shut down production in 2015.

DVD players are heading in the same direction. And earlier this year Samsung announced it's phasing out BluRay players.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:54 AM

I buy them. It's like books. If I like it enough to borrow and borrow and reread or rewatch, I might as well buy it.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I really do find many movies are not streaming. It's usually $2.99 to rent a stream of a movie and the ones I listed about ended up being $5 or less per Blu-ray in some cases.

My wife did buy Beauty and the Beast (the live action one) recently for $10 and that is probably the most expensive Blu-ray we've gotten that is just one movie. We really wanted it.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:20 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I don't buy them anymore.

Not because of streaming, but because I never watched the ones I bought anyway.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Never had a DVD or Blu-Ray player (just whatever was on my computer, but I never used that for movies), so I never got around to buying any discs. But back in the VHS days, I don't ever recall buying a movie, either. Rented, sure, quite a few. I'm not a huge movie watcher anymore, but I do have a Netflix subscription and stream every so often. (I'm much more likely to consume video media in episodic 30-minute chunks than sitting through a 90-120 min movie, hence not watching a lot of movies. The ones that do rope me in tend to be documentaries.)
Old 09-01-2019, 08:19 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Yeah but only the movies I really like.

Streaming services constantly take movies down, so just because its on netflix doesn't mean it'll be there next month.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:20 AM

I still do buy some. You can never fully rely on the vagaries of streaming rights and sometimes I feel like watching something. I don't like digital downloads because I prefer physical media.

That said, I buy much much less than I used to. The main reason being I moved from a house to an apartment so I don't have the space anymore.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Much less frequently than before but I still buy some once in a while.
Even if I hate Episode 9 I will get the BR to complete my collection.
Will probably get GOT final season for the same reason.
I got Expanse DVDs -- best option for me.

Brian
Old 09-01-2019, 09:45 AM

I buy DVDs because I like having a form of the movie/show that's independent of whatever my computer and my internet connection might do. If my computer dies, I don't need to re-download or re-install anything. If my internet connection goes down, I still still use the disc to watch it.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:51 AM

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I buy them for things that aren't available on Netflix.

Aside from the availability of shows, all things being equal I prefer DVDs because:

-they're easier to rewind or fast forward.
-no buffering problems from a poor connection
-more subtitle options.
-though not as common as previously, they offer extras like deleted scenes, commentary, and other items.

If you just want something to watch, then streaming might cover your needs. But if you want to watch specific movies/shows, DVDs provide more options.
My reasons exactly, Although I'd add Amazon and Hulu, even Fandango, as well as Netflix as to incomplete availability so as to make DVDs a necessary addition to my "library".
Old 09-01-2019, 11:23 AM

We live in a rural part of Ohio, and our DSL is very slow. I have tried streaming, but it just doesn't work. I also love to watch movies on Friday and Saturday nights. My solution? It's not exactly cheap: when I want to watch a movie, I simply buy the DVD or (preferably) Blu-ray from Amazon. It usually arrives two or three days later. We watch it, and then I put it in storage.

So I currently own a few thousand DVD/Blu-ray discs. Most were watched once. I need to get rid of them some day. Not sure how best to do it.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
We live in a rural part of Ohio, and our DSL is very slow. I have tried streaming, but it just doesn't work. I also love to watch movies on Friday and Saturday nights. My solution? It's not exactly cheap: when I want to watch a movie, I simply buy the DVD or (preferably) Blu-ray from Amazon. It usually arrives two or three days later. We watch it, and then I put it in storage.

So I currently own a few thousand DVD/Blu-ray discs. Most were watched once. I need to get rid of them some day. Not sure how best to do it.
What about Netflix DVD delivery for $8 a month?
Old 09-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Well, I just bought game of thrones, a boxed set of all but the last season on Blu-ray. So yes. This was a cost-effective way to get access to it, and I don't have to worry about whether whatever service I'm using decided to drop it before i get to the end. I'm enjoying some of the extras, but that's just gravy.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
Never heard of it. I'll look into it.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Never heard of it. I'll look into it.
It's quite good; the US Postal Service is remarkably efficient. Plus it has a massive library of discs. Probably the most extensive DVD/Bluray collection on earth.

Netflix was famous for years before it ever streamed a single show. The founder was annoyed by late fees from Blockbuster so he created his own DVD rental service to compete with it, with two key differences: Mail the discs instead of opening brick and mortar stores so you can service the entire country, and no late fees of any kind, ever.

Years later they decided to get into the streaming market. Technically, I think that sentence would more accurately read as "They decided to create the streaming market." The DVD service has been the redheaded stepchild ever since, but there are still several million of us who subscribe.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:06 PM

Yes, for two reasons:

One, for special features (commentaries, deleted scenes, that sort of thing) that will almost certainly never be available streaming.

Two, for TV series that can switch from one streaming service to another without notice. When is Futurama on? Whenever I want.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
Netflix used to be amazing for DVDs. Nobody ever came close. Now I've got a couple of dozen titles in queue essentially marked as lost not going to be replaced either. That and getting discs that are cracked means I just use Netflix for streaming.

I still buy DVDs and BlueRays for the reasons others have cited, convenience, extras, image quality, and getting titles that streaming services don't carry. I bought a few DVDs many years ago that you can't get anymore and I am glad I did. I am less glad about all the other DVDs I bought at the same time though.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:31 PM

I prefer owning to renting.

Plus the other reasons mentioned: extras on the disc; independence from the Internet/computer/bandwidth considerations; not having to worry about the service dropping the movie or show; better picture quality.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
Netflix used to be amazing for DVDs. Nobody ever came close. Now I've got a couple of dozen titles in queue essentially marked as lost not going to be replaced either. That and getting discs that are cracked means I just use Netflix for streaming.
The DVD service still has an order of magnitude more titles than the streaming service. Of the 95 available DVDs in my queue, only 12 are available to stream on Netflix.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:36 PM

I do. A lot of old (like, silent) films just aren't available on streaming. I periodically weed them, though, because there is a physical limit on how many I can store. It's like books. I have an e-reader, but if it's a book I really want to have fore re-reading purposes, I prefer the physical object.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:25 PM

I do.
Streaming is neither reliable nor permanent, and the resolution suffers on the streamed content I've seen.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:46 PM

I still buy dvds, much the same way I still buy books despite having hundreds on my Kindle. And while streaming's great if you love big hits like Friends or The Big Bang Theory, you'll have a tougher time watching Pushing Daisies, Daria or John Doe whenever you want. And I buy all the MCU movies because I know we'll reach a point where Disney makes them inaccessible unless you surrender to their clutches in some way.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:16 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I never really bought DVDs en masse. I have maybe 20 of them and a couple boxed sets. I did subscribe to Netflix DVD for a while, and was very sad when it got to be too expensive.

I did start buying some of my favorites on BluRay, though. Mostly when they come up on sale on Amazon. I buy them for the higher quality than you get with streaming, the extras, and the permanent availability.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

I voted never did, since over the years that DVDs have been out I've bought at most a dozen, not counting some I got as presents. Pretty much Kubrick and Marx Brothers. And most from used DVD stores. I only have one BluRay, 2001.
I have zero desire to get more.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I can think of several reasons why someone might buy DVDs instead of streaming:
1. There's something they want to watch that isn't available on any streaming service,
2. There's something they want to watch that isn't available on any streaming service that they already subscribe to, and it's cheaper to buy the DVD than to sign up for a(nother) streaming service.
3. There's something they like enough that they want to have it always available to watch—and who knows how long the streaming services will keep it available?
4. Their internet is too limited (in speed, or reliability, or amount of data they're allowed to use) to make streaming practical.
My main reason was the special features, which aren't usually available on streaming.

That said, I rarely do this anymore, but I was reluctant to vote in the poll, as the reason is that I don't really watch much of the stuff that comes on disk anymore. I'm much more into Internet video, and only watch a handful of even traditional TV shows, let alone movies. I don't even have a working TV in my house anymore.

Also, I would more often rent or borrow (or even pirate) because money is tight.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:49 AM

I have a few videotapes and DVDs kicking around, but I find I only watch them if we have a prolonged internet outage (i.e., very rarely).
Old 09-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I occasionally buy used DVDs on eBay for movies and shows not available on the streaming services that I subscribe to. Most recently the TV series Alias, which isn't available to stream anywhere as far as I can tell. I also sometimes borrow disks from the local public library and Redbox.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:02 AM

I buy DVDs for the bonus features, but now that many digital downloads include them I've been buying less than I once did.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:56 PM

Netflix in Switzerland has very little content compared to the U.S.

We don't have that many channels in English.

For certain shows, such as Chuck, Buffy, Eureka, Black Books, etc., we'll get in the mood to binge the entire series. For the longer ones, we might take a while (we've been working on Buffy/Angel for more than a year, currently paused again), but others (such as Spaced) can be done in a few days of cold snowy weather.

Currently waiting to buy the complete series of iZombie and Killjoys. We caught some episodes, even on the airplane, but can't watch them here unless we pay more than the cost of the media.

Which is the other thing. Watch a movie in the theater or buy it for home? For home is cheaper and we can watch it more than once, AND it's got the gag reel. This is why we have most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Haven't seen any of them in the theater.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
My main reason was the special features, which aren't usually available on streaming.
Many of the DVDs you can get from Netflix have special features, though only the ones found on the disk with the movie. Especially DVDs from the Criterion collection.
Not streaming but better than buying.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:43 PM

I don't buy many at this time but I have a fair amount already. I've been buying DVDs since the late 90s I guess. I recently bought Ralph Wrecks the Internet and regretted wasting my money on it.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:51 PM

I used to buy them quite frequently around a decade ago but these days I mainly use streaming services. I watch fewer movies in general relative to TV shows. I do miss the extras a bit though in truth not all that much since there is always new stuff to watch that is interesting. Watching extra features and listening to audio commentaries has become one of those things I remember fondly of bygone days. I did pull out my LOTR extended edition DVDs recently, perhaps the pinnnacle of the medium. I may go through the commentaries and special features again for old time's sake.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I do, but I always think on it first. I have to make sure it’s a film I really want to watch multiple times. I’m trying to reduce clutter and so I’m really trying to not buy so many physical Blu rays and physical books since I’m probably moving soon.

It’s definitely not like ten years ago where I’d be with my ex bf at Target and grab some random DVD and stick it in the cart.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:53 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:

I agree with others, you should try netflix DVD by mail. I used to have it until they split the DVD and streaming services apart (it used to be you got both for $12 or so).

However as was mentioned, I think the DVD service isn't nearly as good as it used to be. There aren't as many distribution centers so it takes longer to get your discs. I just looked into it, and now its $12 for 2 DVDs out at a time. It used to be you'd get 3 DVDs at a time and streaming for the same price.

https://dvd.netflix.com/Plans

I don't think there are any real competitors to netflix DVD though. There are some smaller companies, but they mostly do niche and cult films by mail.

If you want to get rid of your DVDs, sell them in bulk on craigslist. They usually go for $1 a DVD that way.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:40 PM

If I'm going to pay for access to something, I might as well own it and be sure of having access to it for as long as I want. I don't want to spend the money on a bunch of streaming services at once, and if I juggle them around based on what's available then most of the year I don't get to watch a bunch of content. Putting the DVD in the player is just simpler.

I still buy CDs, too, which may be even more unusual these days.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:22 PM

I voted "Never did" but I do own maybe six movies on DVD. But I figure six divided by how old DVD/BR tech is is close enough to zero to qualify. And I never watch those six movies anyway which is why I never bought more. In fact, I don't think our BluRay player has been plugged in for the last couple years. Either we find something via streaming or, if it's something that we somehow "need" to watch and isn't on a monthly sub service, we can still find it as a one-off streaming rental from Amazon, Google, Vudu, etc. I'm sure there's exceptions but I haven't had it affect me yet.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:37 PM

In the last year I have been buying sets of blank DVD disks so I can download/burn some long length old movies/documentaries onto them for viewing on TV. It's no fun to tell the kids "gather around the laptop".
Old 09-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
The DVD service still has an order of magnitude more titles than the streaming service. Of the 95 available DVDs in my queue, only 12 are available to stream on Netflix.
Maybe it depends on the types of content one is interested in. Netflix DVD and streaming began to require too much work to manage a queue (DVDs not available or long waits) and find genuinely interesting content.

I occasionally watch something on Amazon Prime Video, but we've got it for shipping. If I were to pay for a streaming service, it would be Criterion Collection or BritBox.

Used to own DVDs, but I have enough clutter.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Regarding netflix DVD, when I mail them back on Monday by putting them in my mailbox for Monday pickup, 95% of the time I get the next disc in my queue on Thursday.

I only use the one-disc bluray plan for $10, but I assume going for two at a time won't change the mail speed.

If you're looking for two discs per week, one for Friday and one for Saturday, then you're pretty much the poster child for who the service is for. The only wildcard is the mail service. I say try it for one month to see if it's fast enough. To that end, if you mail Friday's movie back on Saturday, that should help ensure you have your two discs on time every week.

The 2-bluray plan is $15 a month, which has to be way cheaper than buying 8 movies from amazon each month.

If you do try it out, post back to let us know how it goes.