Old 09-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

MLB: September 2019

Link to August thread.

The Dodgers are in a bit of a slump. Still leading the division by double-digits, of course.

But the big news is Verlander's no-hitter against Toronto.

Last edited by silenus; 09-01-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
But the big news is Verlander's no-hitter against Toronto.
You're sure this isn't the May 2011 thread?
Old 09-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

You think Abraham Toro is going to wind up getting something nice from Verlander in the next few days?
Old 09-02-2019, 03:19 PM

the dodgers always do this every year it seems ....get ahead of everyone by 60 games and then lose 15 0r 20 and make it look like they have to squeak into postseason.....

Last edited by nightshadea; 09-02-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Detroit Tigers catching prospect Chace Numata has died after injuries sustained during an accident with his electric skateboard. He was 27.

https://deadspin.com/tigers-prospect...ent-1837830811
Old 09-03-2019, 11:57 PM

My Nats kept things close against the Mets at home, only trailing 5-4 going into the bottom of the 9th, until the Mets exploded for five runs and took a 10-4 lead.

Then the real Nats team finally showed up, and we scored seven runs, including a three-run blast by Kurt Suzuki to win the game, 11-10. It was the greatest ninth-inning comeback in Nats history. And to think I almost turned it off!
Old 09-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
My Nats kept things close against the Mets at home, only trailing 5-4 going into the bottom of the 9th, until the Mets exploded for five runs and took a 10-4 lead.

Then the real Nats team finally showed up, and we scored seven runs, including a three-run blast by Kurt Suzuki to win the game, 11-10. It was the greatest ninth-inning comeback in Nats history. And to think I almost turned it off!
One of my best friends is a Mets fan. That was a brutal, brutal loss. (Sad to say, he wasn't surprised.) Mets were just on fire out of the gate after the All-Star game, and they just seem to have reverted to the mean in the last couples weeks, including getting swept by my Cubs and now their horrendous bullpen giving up 7 in the bottom of the nine frame.

ETA: And the Nats run production just has been sick as of late. Looking back at the last 16 games, they've been averaging just over 8 runs a game. Holy crap.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-04-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
One of my best friends is a Mets fan. That was a brutal, brutal loss. (Sad to say, he wasn't surprised.) Mets were just on fire out of the gate after the All-Star game, and they just seem to have reverted to the mean in the last couples weeks, including getting swept by my Cubs and now their horrendous bullpen giving up 7 in the bottom of the nine frame.

ETA: And the Nats run production just has been sick as of late. Looking back at the last 16 games, they've been averaging just over 8 runs a game. Holy crap.
(Bolding mine)

Mr. Ricketts*, sir? As a die-hard fan since 84, I humbly ask you to keep Nicholas Castellanos beyond this season.

Last edited by Superdude; 09-04-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I did turn it off, after Trea Turner's mental error (he thought there were 2 out, instead of 1, allowing baserunners to advance to second and third, after which they scored). Remind me not to do that again.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Jays Fan

As bad as the Mets really Metsed that game, they remained a massive longshot even had they won the game.

Their hot streak was a fluke, just as their cold streaks have been flukes. In truth, their 70-68 record is basically what they really are.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 PM

The Kansas City Royals have a new home run king, Jorge Soler. With almost a month of baseball left to play, hopefully he can elevate the team record out of the "utter embarrassment zone".
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 09-04-2019, 06:47 PM

I was more than a little upset when the Cubs traded Soler. I understood why they did, but it still hurt. I really liked his bat.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
The Kansas City Royals have a new home run king, Jorge Soler. With almost a month of baseball left to play, hopefully he can elevate the team record out of the "utter embarrassment zone".
It's such a weird fluke the Royals never had a 40-homer man before, given how many good teams and excellent hitters the club has had.

The Mets also have a new single season record in Pete Alonso, who's blown past the old record of 41 and is headed for 50. Christian Yelich has a shot at breaking the Brewers team record; he's at 43, and the record is 50, by Prince (Fielder.)

No other team besides the Mets and Royals had a team record that low. Most teams (to my surprise) have had at least one 50-home season and the others are in the high 40s.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:37 AM

The Royals have had good teams in the past, but mainly built on pitching, speed and defense. They never had home run hitters (though they'd had plenty of doubles and triples), and Royals/Kauffman Stadium has long had a reputation for being hard to hit home runs in.

In addition to the teams you mentioned, the Angels' record of 47 seems very likely to fall to Mike Trout this season.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Yeah, I missed Trout; he could get to 50 with a strong finish.

Who's the greatest player to never even play in a World Series? Mike Trout is getting up there. He's wasted a hell of a run on a shockingly mediocre club. I guess the answer would be Nap Lajoie if you count guys who partially played before there was a World Series; if you don't, I'm not sure who it would be. Ken Griffey Jr., maybe.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:57 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Yeah, I missed Trout; he could get to 50 with a strong finish.

Who's the greatest player to never even play in a World Series? Mike Trout is getting up there. He's wasted a hell of a run on a shockingly mediocre club. I guess the answer would be Nap Lajoie if you count guys who partially played before there was a World Series; if you don't, I'm not sure who it would be. Ken Griffey Jr., maybe.
Ernie Banks would be up there.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Ernie Banks would be up there.
He was the old answer, Griffey Jr. is a really strong candidate though.

Nap Lajoie is worth mentioning. He played before the World Series got started but most of his career was in the World Series era.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I'd place Banks behind Griffey.

Another one jumped to mind; Rod Carew.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Carew was a great singles hitter, but he had little power. He was basically an early Ichiro, and Ichiro as well has not played in any World Series.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Who's the greatest player to never even play in a World Series?
Possibly someone from the Negro Leagues? (You didn't specify MLB player.)
Old 09-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Oh yeah, I forgot about Ichiro. Ichiro wasn't as good a hitter as Carew was but they were similar.

They were singles hitters, but they were great. Both Ichiro and Carew got on base and ran extremely well, and that's an immensely valuable skill set. Carew led the league in OBP four times. A team of Rod Carews would score 1100 runs a year (at his career averages, not his peak.) I would much, much rather have Rod Carew than, say, Dale Murphy, Willie Stargell, or Andre Dawson, all more multidimensional players who didn't get on base as much.

Last edited by RickJay; 09-05-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:01 PM

Frank Thomas never got to the biggest stage.

ETA: Edgar Martinez too.

Last edited by Blank Slate; 09-05-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:05 PM

Remember when good players used to get called up in September, as a preview of coming attractions? No longer, since no team wants to lose a pre-free agency year on any young player who might actually be good.

Instead, we get September callups like Daniel Palka of the White Sox, who was a combined 1-for-45 in two stints with the parent club earlier this year. Since being recalled he has added a cozy 0-for-8, so he is now hitting 1-for-53 for an .019 average.

This got me to wondering about the lowest nonzero batting average of all time. Some half-assed googling reveals that Fred Gladding, a relief pitcher from 1961 to 1973, has the lowest nonzero career batting average at .016 (1-for-63).

But I am unable to locate the record for a single season. Does anyone know? (And if the record is held by a pitcher, what is the record for a position player?)

Since Gladding's one hit was a single, and he never walked (!), he has the lowest lifetime nonzero OPS at .032, a record that seems like it would be really tough to beat.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
Remember when good players used to get called up in September, as a preview of coming attractions? No longer, since no team wants to lose a pre-free agency year on any young player who might actually be good.

Instead, we get September callups like Daniel Palka of the White Sox, who was a combined 1-for-45 in two stints with the parent club earlier this year. Since being recalled he has added a cozy 0-for-8, so he is now hitting 1-for-53 for an .019 average.

This got me to wondering about the lowest nonzero batting average of all time. Some half-assed googling reveals that Fred Gladding, a relief pitcher from 1961 to 1973, has the lowest nonzero career batting average at .016 (1-for-63).

But I am unable to locate the record for a single season. Does anyone know? (And if the record is held by a pitcher, what is the record for a position player?)

Since Gladding's one hit was a single, and he never walked (!), he has the lowest lifetime nonzero OPS at .032, a record that seems like it would be really tough to beat.
Palka's the guy, at least according to this Baseball Reference search. I limited years back to 1920 and the player could not have played any innings at pitcher. Minimum 1 hit and all BA .030 or below. Adding pitchers bumps the pool from 11 guys to 74.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-05-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Pitchers
Old 09-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Doug Davis in 2004, is your guy at .016 if we count pitchers. 64 ABs, so he beats out Mark Redman in 2003, and Roger Craig in 1956, with 61 AB. Craig weirdly had 6 walks to go with his .016 average.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-05-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Looks like the .247 BA streak will end at 4 years for Khris Davis. It was looking good back in June/July but he has really fallen off. Davis is now at .218 for the year
Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM

It’s depressing how many of the “wasted talent” examples are Mariners.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 PM

Former St Louis Cardinal Dave Duncan loses his battle with brain cancer at 38. This one hits close to home for me. A good friend is fighting a glioblastoma. She was told before her surgery that , even with them removing all of it, she was looking at maybe 5 years.

That was 3 1/2 years ago.

https://www.kfvs12.com/2019/09/07/me...duncan-passes/
Old 09-06-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Former St Louis Cardinal Dave Duncan loses his battle with brain cancer at 38. This one hits close to home for me. A good friend is fighting a glioblastoma. She was told before her surgery that , even with them removing all of it, she was looking at maybe 5 years.

That was 3 1/2 years ago.

https://www.kfvs12.com/2019/09/07/me...duncan-passes/
Chris Duncan, not Dave. Apologies.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Palka's the guy, at least according to this.
Thanks, it's good to know he's chasing history. Or maybe I should say he's already caught it, but he'll almost certainly lose it. As a September call-up he'll be up for the rest of the year and will almost certainly get additional hits.

He did however strike out as a pinch-hitter tonight (1-for-54), to keep the dream alive for another day.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Easily my favorite story of the year in baseball (unless the Cubs win another World Series, of course):

https://www.mlb.com/video/moran-strikes-out-moran-x9043 (video link)

Brian Moran finally makes it to the major leagues (the Marlins are technically still a major league team, right?) after 10 years in the minors. In his major league debut, he faces his brother Colin and strikes him out. It's apparently the first time that a brother/brother match-up has taken place between a pitcher and batter.

Last edited by zoog; 09-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoog View Post
It's apparently the first time that a brother/brother match-up has taken place between a pitcher and batter.
Huh, in all the decades of MLB this has never happened before? Thatís odd.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:59 PM

I think, to be more precise, it's the first time a brother vs. brother pitcher vs. batter match-up has taken place in the pitcher's debut. And I believe his brother accounted for the very first batter the pitcher faced.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I think, to be more precise, it's the first time a brother vs. brother pitcher vs. batter match-up has taken place in the pitcher's debut. And I believe his brother accounted for the very first batter the pitcher faced.
That makes more sense.

And yeah thatís pretty cool.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Right, George Brett would’ve faced his brother Ken several times in the mid seventies when Ken was pitching in the AL. And Joe Niekro had one big league home run...-against his brother Phil. I’m sure there are other examples of brother facing brother—just not in either player’s debut. (I think Colin was actually the second batter Brian faced btw)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:01 PM

Twins pitcher Michael Pineda suspended for 60 games for using a diuretic.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ame-suspension
Old 09-08-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Twins pitcher Michael Pineda suspended for 60 games for using a diuretic.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ame-suspension
Million dollar arm, ten cent head.

Quote:
Thanks, it's good to know he's chasing history. Or maybe I should say he's already caught it, but he'll almost certainly lose it. As a September call-up he'll be up for the rest of the year and will almost certainly get additional hits.

He did however strike out as a pinch-hitter tonight (1-for-54), to keep the dream alive for another day.
I just happened across this story. The record for position players (minimum 50 ABs) is .056 by the St. Louis Browns' Lyn Lary in 1940. He went 3 for 54.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's the way that the announcers put it, I took it as the first time it's ever happened period. But announcers can be wrong about stuff and my Google-fu isn't good enough to find any other instances. It kind of makes sense to me, when I think about brothers that played in the MLB, most of them are position players. The Niekro and Reuschel brothers are about the only ones I can think of that were pitchers. It's possible that one of those had a pitcher/batter matchup at some point.

The brother was actually the second batter he faced (the link didn't show the AB from the first batter faced, but he got him out). But it was his first career MLB strikeout.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
Right, George Brett wouldíve faced his brother Ken several times in the mid seventies when Ken was pitching in the AL. And Joe Niekro had one big league home run...-against his brother Phil. Iím sure there are other examples of brother facing brotherójust not in either playerís debut. (I think Colin was actually the second batter Brian faced btw)
I forgot about the Brett boys, and now that you mention it that story about the Niekro boys rings a bell. That's what I get for believing something I hear on TV.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I forgot about the Brett boys, and now that you mention it that story about the Niekro boys rings a bell. That's what I get for believing something I hear on TV.
Sorry for shattering your entire worldview.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Sorry for shattering your entire worldview.
Yeah, from now on I'm just gonna believe everything I read on the internet instead.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, from now on I'm just gonna believe everything I read on the internet instead.
Good call!

Let me see if I can dig up that link to the site that documents the progress of the lizard people and their takeover of the Vatican.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Move over Shohei Ohtani (at least till you can pitch again), make room for Michael Lorenzen of Cincinnati. Earlier this week he had a game in which he was the winning pitcher, hit a homer, and played the outfield--the first man to do all three in a game since the late great Babe Ruth. Today he pinch hit for an outfielder in the bottom of the ninth and delivered a double that scored the winning run. I just find this very cool.

(Another two-way player is Brendan McKay of the Rays. He played for my local minor league team a few years back. I go to about 5-6 games a year and keep score. I didn;t know anything about McKay at first, but somewhere along the line while looking back at my scorecards I noticed that the team had used a pitcher named McKay in a couple of these games and a first baseman/DH also named McKay in a couple of others, and then I realized that they had the same uniform number and the same first name...Oops.)
Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 AM

Red Sox have fired Dave Dombrowski: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...e-season-title

Less than one season after a WS title, in the middle of September? Bizarre. John Henry has form for awkward management exits over the last 15 years, often abrupt and with hard feelings and later revealed to have involved poor or absent communication. Wondering what the story is this time.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Million dollar arm, ten cent head....
Surprisingly decent player to get caught by testing. But yeah, 10 cent head.

In other news, the Astros beat the Mariners 21-1. Cole went 8, gave up one hit, a homer naturally this year, and struck out double digits.

He's going to get a stupid amount of money in free agency.

EDIT: And Astros prospect Kyle Tucker is finally showing why he was so highly regarded, having lifted his OPS over .900. Decent squad. I need to go buy some furniture at Gallery while Mattress Mac is still offering to pay off the cost if the Astros win the WS. He did it in 2017, and I forget how much it cost him.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-09-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Red Sox have fired Dave Dombrowski: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...e-season-title....
Thought he was a very highly regarded coach? Is it because of the relatively meh Boston season?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Thought he was a very highly regarded coach? Is it because of the relatively meh Boston season?
He was the President of the Red Sox that always seemed to try to gather the team's glory to him and now may have finally paid for that by taking the fall for a lack of a solid bullpen.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

The Palka thing is just so weird. He hit 27 homers last year. He also struck out over a third of the time he went to the plate so he's not Wade Boggs, but going 1 for 53 is almost impossible for an adult male who knows how to swing a baseball bat.

In AAA this year Palka hit .273 with 27 more homers. That isn't something an incompetent hitter does.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:25 PM

Astros follow up that 21-1 game with 11 runs in the first two innings against Oakland, making it 32 runs in 9 innings, since they didn't score in the first and didn't bat in the ninth against Seattle.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 PM

(32 runs in 9 innings over multiple games is not a record - Texas scored 30 in the last 6 innings against Baltimore, August 22, 2007 in the first game of a double-header, then scored 3 in the second inning of the next game for 33 over 9 innings.)