Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 PM

Repairs you haven't had done because you don't know who to have do them

Are there any home or auto repairs you haven't gotten done because you're unsure who to contract to do them? List them here.

Do you know the answer? Please advise!

The house has vinyl siding and three or four pieces of it need to be replaced because they were damaged in a winter storm. I have the pieces needed - there's a box of siding in the basement. If I needed all the siding replaced I'd know where to start, but this is a very small job and I don't know who would be interested in doing it. Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Home handyman is your best option.

Siding isn't hard to replace. You're lucky to have a few sheets of the original material.

There's one inexpensive tool needed.

https://youtu.be/lzhSsmWnHfw

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-06-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:59 PM

I couldn't find anyone willing to fix my attic fan. HVAC techs wouldn't even look at it.

I reluctantly crawled in the attic & replaced the motor myself. Carefully matched the frame, rpm, hp, Amps to a replacement in the Grainger catalog.

Had to buy a puller to get the pulley off the shaft. It would have been cheaper to replace the pulley. But Grainger didn't sell one in that size.

A dirty, itchy job that I didn't want to do. I waited until a cool Oct day. Summer time in a attic is dangerous. It can be a 120F up there.

Otherwise I have no idea who to call for attic fan service.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-06-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:50 AM

We have some depressions in the yard that need some fill and bobcatting.

Easy, right? Call some landscape companies, call a fill dirt place, go to the local fill and other materials place, put an ad online at the usual places.

Nada. Landscape companies either are into mowing lawns or big renewal jobs that are a minimum $2k. Fill dirt places are for filling BIG holes. And on and on.

Dozens of calls, emails, etc. And haven't found a single place that does this. Not one.

I can't imagine I'm using the wrong terms, am I?
Old 09-07-2019, 06:59 AM

I have a hot tub in my backyard that has spent most of the last decade unused and in disrepair. I poured the slab upon which it sits, and had it delivered before I had the backyard fenced in. I doubt that it would even fit through the gate in the fence, if I were to have it removed. That is not a concern, though, beause I first have no idea who would perform such a task. So I bought a sawsall, and I'm going to chop it up and dispose of it piece by piece in my weekly garbage pickup.

Last edited by bobot; 09-07-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: h,b
Old 09-07-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post

Easy, right? Call some landscape companies, call a fill dirt place, go to the local fill and other materials place, put an ad online at the usual places.

Nada. Landscape companies either are into mowing lawns or big renewal jobs that are a minimum $2k. Fill dirt places are for filling BIG holes. And on and on.

Dozens of calls, emails, etc. And haven't found a single place that does this. Not one.

We’re having multiple projects done (long story), and it happened to be the concrete guy who had the bobcat and the willingness to do a small fill-related job kind of like the one you need.

Not sure if this helps. Maybe you have some larger project that needs doing, that happens to require the right equipment, and they could tack this on?
Old 09-07-2019, 08:03 AM

My father built a staircase down from his porch because he couldn't find a contractor interested in such a small job.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:05 AM

The rack of pegs that our winter coats hang on fall off the concrete wall. I have no idea how to fix that, and I'm sure i can't find a contractor. I'm thinking I'll cover the bolts that fell out with except and shove them back in?
Old 09-07-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
A friend of mine was in your situation, so he bought a used bobcat. He let me play around with it, it's really cool. He keeps his eye out for small jobs he could do with it. He recently helped with the demolition of an old house that had caught fire a few years ago.

Know anyone with a bobcat? Maybe place an ad on Craigslist or at a local Tractor Supply type store?
Old 09-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I have a hot tub in my backyard that has spent most of the last decade unused and in disrepair. I poured the slab upon which it sits, and had it delivered before I had the backyard fenced in. I doubt that it would even fit through the gate in the fence, if I were to have it removed. That is not a concern, though, beause I first have no idea who would perform such a task. So I bought a sawsall, and I'm going to chop it up and dispose of it piece by piece in my weekly garbage pickup.
Try advertising it in the “Free” section of Craigslist.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is it a wooden fence? If it is, you can very easily take out and replace a section between two posts. In fact, when I had mine put up, I specifically made sure that at least one of the sections was wide enough to get a bobcat through it. It made put in a patio a few years later a lot easier in the [same] person installing it.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:16 AM

My local Taylor rental rents little backhoes. A friend had a blast with the rental when he wanted to level his yard. I think a lot of home Depots rent them, too.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:34 AM

I can't quote thse who've responded to me for some reason.
I've already begun the dismantling process. Last summer I drilled holes in the tub to try and allieviate the collection of rainwater. Wasps have made a home in the cover, the dials and knobs are crumbling away- it's in bad shape. I have removed all of the wiring, anything electrical, and it is disconnected from yhe main electric supply. I have 2 of the side panels removed, and am digging away at all of the insulation in there, to get a good look at what I'll be cutting with the sawsall. I have torn out and thrown away the stereo, and I have given away the 2 large pump motors that I'm pretty sure still work (and move A LOT of water).
I'm in for a penny, in for a pound at this point. One of these days I am going to complete the cutting up into little pieces of this thing.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:07 AM

A friend had an old dead hot tub that was finally removed when a contractor left a trash truck on their driveway for too long after completing re-doing their roof. They decided if he wasn't going to remove it promptly, they would fill it. And so they did. I think they only had to cut the hot tub into 3 pieces to fit it in the truck.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I couldn't find anyone willing to fix my attic fan. HVAC techs wouldn't even look at it.
Same thing here. I finally found a roofing company that was willing to do it while also doing some other roofing repairs, which added up to a days work. They were very reluctant, but finally agreed as long as they didn't have to do any electrical work. I should have made them stick to the "no electrical" promise, because the guy thought he was being helpful by wiring it up. As best I can tell, he just connected wires randomly. Once I rewired it correctly it worked fine.

I had a terrible time finding somebody to move an unused 220 dryer outlet to my garage for car charging. The response I got from electricians were "if I have some time between jobs I'll call you," ghosting me, "we only do new construction now," etc. I finally found an apprentice electrician who was willing to do it. That was a mistake, because never hire an electrician who doesn't know what a NEMA 10-30 outlet is.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=kayaker;21846386Know anyone with a bobcat? Maybe place an ad on Craigslist or at a local Tractor Supply type store?[/QUOTE]

If I knew someone with a bobcat ...

I've tried Craigslist and the "find an handyman/whatever" type sites.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
The rack of pegs that our winter coats hang on fall off the concrete wall. I have no idea how to fix that, and I'm sure i can't find a contractor. I'm thinking I'll cover the bolts that fell out with except and shove them back in?
Cover them with "except"?

If it were me, I would move the rack slightly so I could drill new holes and install the rack with Tapcon screws. You just need a masonry drill bit, which will cost a few bucks.

ETA: oh, you probably also need a hammer drill. Good investment if you work with concrete often, otherwise maybe borrow or rent one.

Last edited by markn+; 09-07-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Know a good realtor? That's how we contract most of our small stuff. She is a contractor herself, and has a list of reliable people she uses and recommends.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:53 PM

We're in an 80 year old house on a hill that's settled. One of the exterior doors on the downslope side sticks to an unreasonable degree due to the frame being out of true. It would probably take a carpenter about 30 minutes to rehang it.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Our local Home Depot maintains a job board for small jobs. I purchased a couple of light fixtures from them and asked the service desk if they knew someone who could install for me - all I needed was someone to remove the current fixtures and put the new ones in (we don't mess with electrical stuff here - pros only). They told me they could post it on the board and I'd get a call from a qualified place if there was interest. Two days later, I got a call and got my new fixtures put in. I've also got that firm's contact info so I can call them for anything new that comes up.

The new conundrum here is a place to fix our roof antenna. The time is coming where I think we are going to want to cut the TV cord (in our case it's satellite since we live in the semi-sticks). Our house already has a roof antenna, but the directional rotor on it is broken. There are streaming services that will get us most of what we want, but we watch a lot of PBS and that's what we'll need the antenna for. I've got contact info for one company about 40 miles away who can do the work, but whether they'll be around or willing to do the work when the time comes is the question.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Cover them with "except"?

If it were me, I would move the rack slightly so I could drill new holes and install the rack with Tapcon screws. You just need a masonry drill bit, which will cost a few bucks.

ETA: oh, you probably also need a hammer drill. Good investment if you work with concrete often, otherwise maybe borrow or rent one.
Sorry for the swypo. I just did it, I covered them with epoxy, and shoved them into the same holes. I don't have a masonry bit, I don't have a hammer drill, and there really isn't room to move the rack far enough to really have full strength. I used the JB weld stuff that's rated strongest. I've had excellent luck with it.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:26 AM

I have one I haven't had done because I needed the time, but I only know who to call thanks to my insurance covering it.

Like many people in Spain I've got a second kitchen which is not part of my house, a "meet with people" place. The sink's drain gets pumped out, only... the pump hasn't been used in years and right now it needs to be put back into function. If my insurance didn't have a "handyman service" where they figure out and send the right person I wouldn't even know where to begin. My brother would probably know who the right person is but alas! If I ask him, he'll say "oh, I'll do it" and that means it will get done at about the time his children graduate college... the Nephews are in HS right now.

Would that be a plumber or an electrician?
Old 09-08-2019, 01:58 AM

My personal, in-house handyman (Mr.Wrekker) is hard to pin down on small repairs since his retirement. I have found the 'I'll call Joe the expensive plumber' statement will get him into action, quick like.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
Our local Home Depot maintains a job board for small jobs.
I remember those. I checked a few years ago at ours. They don't do that anymore.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:13 AM

I need to fix the pinion gear seal in the rear end of my 81 Chevy Silverado, and it needs paint. I don’t know how to do either of those well.

I did redo the power steering system on Friday though. The pulley was so stuck on the pump that I kinda pulled my mid 30s bicep using the puller to remove it. When it finally came off it popped off so hard it almost hit the cat that was helping me in my garage.

Watch out buddy! Also, does anyone k ow a good way of getting transmission fluid off of a cat?
Old 09-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I'd search for the phrase "dirt work" and either Skidsteer or Bobcat on your local craigslist. You might also contact a few local plumbers, and see if they know anyone who could do it for you. Plumbers often have to dig up yards and fix the resulting mess.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't quote thse who've responded to me for some reason.
I've already begun the dismantling process. Last summer I drilled holes in the tub to try and allieviate the collection of rainwater. Wasps have made a home in the cover, the dials and knobs are crumbling away- it's in bad shape. I have removed all of the wiring, anything electrical, and it is disconnected from yhe main electric supply. I have 2 of the side panels removed, and am digging away at all of the insulation in there, to get a good look at what I'll be cutting with the sawsall. I have torn out and thrown away the stereo, and I have given away the 2 large pump motors that I'm pretty sure still work (and move A LOT of water).
I'm in for a penny, in for a pound at this point. One of these days I am going to complete the cutting up into little pieces of this thing.
You look like you are on the same path that I was. I tore down my hot tub until all that was left was the fiberglass shell. I really wanted to avoid the sawsall part as fiberglass dust is pretty dangerous stuff to breath and can itch like crazy if it gets on your skin.
It just so happened that I had a lot of junk to get rid of at the same time so I hired one of those local junk haulers (I think mine was 1-800-got-junk).
The fiberglass frame was small enough to squeeze through the gate and light enough for the haulers to carry out.
Since the haulers charged by volume over weight they were able to toss a lot of my other junk into the well of the shell so that my overall cost to get rid of it wasn't much more than the other junk itself.
Still cost me $200 to get rid of ALL of the junk but worht that much just to not have to carry any of it out of my steep sloped back yard.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Also, does anyone k ow a good way of getting transmission fluid off of a cat?
Brake Cleaner?

Or maybe some of that orange pumice soap all the auto places sell.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:45 PM

The ceiling of my "junk room" has buckled/bulged down in a 3' by 3' section due to the A/C air handler in the attic had a leak in its condensation drain line. Way too much of a job to fix myself, and since it's a popcorn ceiling, the whole ceiling will likely need to be refinished/de-popcorned.

Since it's an unused bedroom, it ended up becoming a de-facto storage room for stuff I can't put elsewhere since I have no basement or storage-friendly attic. In turn, the ceiling has been like that for 10+ years. It would take a change in my life situation, one that would require me to need that extra room, to light a fire under my ass.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Know a good realtor? That's how we contract most of our small stuff. She is a contractor herself, and has a list of reliable people she uses and recommends.
Or a property manager. There have been small repairs at my place that I've been willing to pay for but just didn't know who to call/where to start, and my property manager always has "a guy."
Old 09-09-2019, 04:39 PM

We've had surprisingly good luck with just asking contractors if they can take care of something else while they're at the house. Sort of a "While your guys are here doing demo work, can they....?" kind of thing. We got it at the standard hourly rate, so we got a deal on it- no additional project charges, etc... involved, and we'd already rented the dumpster. Or, in one case, we just flat out asked- "Hey, do you guys work on chimneys or know someone who does?".

That's how we got our slanty shanty (rickety storage shed) removed (part of kitchen renovations), the nasty-assed hot tub that the previous owners had put in (part of fence/deck rebuilding) and how we're getting our chimney fixed(part of new roof).
Old 09-09-2019, 05:05 PM

Have Dopers used people advertised as "home handymen" (on Angie's List etc.) and how did that turn out?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:14 PM

I'm interested in getting gas logs installed in my fireplace but have no idea where to start. My natural gas company does not sell/install gas appliances. Do I want vented/ventfree? what size, as in do they need to pretty much fill up my fireplace opening?
Old 09-10-2019, 02:04 AM

Are there any home or auto repairs you haven't gotten done because you're unsure who to contract to

We own an old house and it has this door in the wall in one of the bedrooms (not the master) that looks like an oven door with very intricate wood carvings & is about at eye level (a little lower--more like eye level if you are 4' 11"-but not on floor level as most safes are, and not at all discreet). When you open it, there is a hollowed out square (maybe rectangle) that looks like it had something screwed into it on all four interior walls.

I have no idea what it was or what it was used for. I'd love to know, but have no idea who to call!
Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 AM

Ugh I misread the OP (I'm a little buzzed). Our mystery cubbyhole doesn't need any repairs, so doesn't qualify for this thread.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:30 AM

Our Kubota lawn tractor has a piece of metal that covers the belt&pulley that powers the blades. The little metal stub that the plate snapped onto broke off, so I've been mowing with the belt exposed. Dangerous, but I cannot weld. Also, the tractor is too big to fit on my utility trailer.

I need to find a welder who makes house calls for 5 minute jobs, or (more likely) I need to remove the mower deck and trailer that to someone who does 5 minute welding jobs. And I need to fix it before I lose toes.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I've used the "Home Advisor" web site twice with good results.

Once to have two ceiling light fixtures removed and replaced. I already had the replacements. The other time was for some simple plumbing repairs such as toilet replacement.

List your task and I get a call within a day or so.

There's also "Task Rabbit", but I don;t think it's for repairs. More for "Go to this place and pick up my item". They assemble furniture and stuff like that.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:47 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
I'm interested in getting gas logs installed in my fireplace but have no idea where to start. My natural gas company does not sell/install gas appliances. Do I want vented/ventfree? what size, as in do they need to pretty much fill up my fireplace opening?
My ex-wife used to sell gas logs, gas grills, and patio furniture. I'd look for places that sell the last of those, which will usually sell the others as well.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Have Dopers used people advertised as "home handymen" (on Angie's List etc.) and how did that turn out?
Not from Angie's List, but a handyman who was recommended by a friend of my wife's. We engaged him because there was part of getting a specific ceiling fan installed that I was having a lot of trouble with (I can handle a basic install, but this was on a ceiling beam and had other issues), and we hoped that a pro could figure it out better than my rank amateurism.

He got it figured out and installed in an hour or two- well worth the money!
Old 09-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
Heating and cooling contractors run gas pipe and could probably set you up with the connections. They may even have fixtures.

Plumbers also install gas pipe.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I bought a new electronic deadbolt to replace (functional) deadbolt.

After getting everything unscrewed, I started to install the new one to find out that there are multiple sizes of deadbolt holes and the one in my door is too small for the new deadbolt. So, I need someone to make the hole bigger.

Correctly.

I think I read online that locksmiths can do that. But then I need to find a locksmith & schedule one, and what should have been an hour or so one afternoon is now a project.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
After getting everything unscrewed, I started to install the new one to find out that there are multiple sizes of deadbolt holes and the one in my door is too small for the new deadbolt. So, I need someone to make the hole bigger.[/i].
I ran into this problem just recently when I replaced my deadbolts. Turns out the idjit who originally installed them drilled 1" holes with smaller holes at the side for the screws to fit thru. Standard sizes are 1 5/8 (?) and 2 1/8 (the main size). Looked ugly, like a deformed Mickey.

My method of making an official 2 1/8 hole. Got two thinnish pieces of scrap wood. Drilled a pilot hole in one. Made a "+" over that to mark the center. Put the two pieces on opposite sides of the door and held with clamps. Lined up the pilot hole with the center of the door hole. (I put the latch back in and used it's center turn hole as a reference.) Tightened the clamps. Removed the latch and drill time. Had to pull out the hole saw a couple times to get rid of waste. Once the center bit goes thru the other board, time to start on the other side.

Yeah, took far longer than I was planning. But of the three doors, one had been properly drilled in the first place. Why? Because I had replaced that door at one point and did the job right.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM

I can't replace my shitty leaking windows as no contractor wants to touch them. The architecture is "creative" 70s construction and the leak is not from the windows themselves. When I move out I'll probably replace the drywall, which is a Band Aid more than anything.