Old 09-08-2019, 06:53 PM

Another tragic transportation mishap, Bessie Smith who died in 1937 age 43

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Smith#Death
Old 09-08-2019, 07:25 PM

I was in middle school band when I heard Chris Farley had died of an overdose, speedball, which I think is heroin and cocaine, the last person to see him alive was a hooker. The last movie he had a starring role in was Almost Heroes, and supposedly he was so out of shape and fat at the time he had to use an oxygen tank between takes. His idol was John Belishi and they basically died the same way at the same age at 33.

From stuff I read he had a lot of hang-ups, his sexlife was primarily hookers and he was scared that if he lost weight people wouldn't think he was funny anymore, he was about to become something bigger in my opinion he wanted to to do a biopic of Fatty Arbuckle and he was supposed to be the original voice of Shrek and even recorded dialogue before he died.

I liked the way Norm MacDonald put it: something like he could make anyone laugh, smart people, dumb people, young people, old people, but he always had doubts himself that he was funny.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Harry Chapin's death at age 38 (his VW Rabbit was rear ended by a semi-truck on the Long Island Expressway) was so utterly banal that it was a double shock.

When Michael Jackson died, everyone I knew had the same reaction. "What a waste of such an enormous talent." How would you like to be remembered that way?
Old 09-08-2019, 08:49 PM

Another SNL alum--Phil Hartman. (ETA Not sure if he actually might be remembered from any movies, though.)

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 09-08-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Ones that affected/impacted me the most:

Robin Williams - I still don't really watch his stuff.

Anthony Bourdain - I have not watched a single episode of his shows since his death.

Roger Ebert - my favorite movie critic, but equally importantly, a smart commentator on life and politics. I miss him.
All these hit me hard too, plus Freddie Mercury. If Freddie had gotten sick just few years later than he did, he might still be with us today.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Masako Natsume, the woman who played the (male) priest Tripitaka in Monkey, and who died of acute leukemia at 27 years old.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:17 AM

Carrie Fisher's death was the saddest for me personally, and obviously sad for her family and friends, and it came at a really bad time (creatively, I mean, apart from her being relatively young and still a lovely person), but I wouldn't count it among these because it wasn't exactly surprising in retrospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
The rich man's name was Guillermo González Nova. It's a matter of public record, and I see no reason not to name and shame at every opportunity. What an asshole.
Agreed, Guillermo González Nova killed a woman and nearly killed a child just because he wanted to speed his boat wherever he wanted to go, then got a member of staff to take the fall rather than... admit what he did, not go to jail, and pay money he could easily afford, so it's not like he would even have lost much by giving her family some closure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Wasn't he also drunk at the time?
Probably not possible to know but it wouldn't be surprising.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 AM

John Belushi's death was crappy for him and for all of us.

Likewise Phil Hartman, shot and killed by his wife who then killed herself.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchie View Post
Robbie Basho, out-there guitarist who died of a stroke caused by a chiropractic session gone wrong - he was 45.
Howdy, friend!
Old 09-09-2019, 01:56 AM

Ian Curtis. Epilepsy killed him even if it wasn't a seizure.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-09-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:06 AM

Old Yeller.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Guitarist Randy California drowned at 45 while saving his son from a rip current on Hawai'i.
Yeah that was really sad for me. Randy California (probably one of the greatest guitarists of all time and whose band "Spirit" never achieved the fame and fortune that other rock bands did) losing his life by drowning was just another bad luck story from the rock band named Spirit.

Sharon Tate's murder was really shocking to me. I had just graduated from high school, a few weeks later, 2 Americans walked on the Moon for the first time. So, I was feeling rather optimistic until that story made the news.
She was young, very well-liked, her popularity was increasing, her career was seriously improving and then ... a bunch of seriously disturbed "sickos" decided to bring all that to an end.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:25 AM

Bob Crane, stuffed in a trunk, still unsolved.

Marilyn Monroe.

Michael Jackson, done in by an unethical doctor.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
The baby ape from Escape from the Planet of the Apes.
Turns out this thread is about real life people but I just have to comment that I remember this scene making my six year old self hysterical. Were talkin' inconsolable. I've never rewatched it since.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Jonathan Larson, the writer and composer of RENT. He had so much talent, and his death was so avoidable. He went to two hospitals complaining of chest pains. One took a chest X-ray, said he had food poisoning and made him vomit. The other said he had the flu and to take it easy.

You're putting an off-Broadway musical together and you can take it easy?

It turns out he died in his apartment, alone, from an aortic aneurysm, which clearly showed up on the X-ray and was totally treatable.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:38 AM

I guess when it comes to some of the drug deaths, they can be grouped:

Speedball:

John Belushi
River Phoenix
Chris Farley

Cocktail of prescription drugs

Michael Jackson
Heath Ledger
(I'm sure I've missed another famous recent one)

I suppose you can always add "drowned in the bath through alcohol"

Jim Morrison?
Whitney Houston?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark7 View Post
Old Yeller.
too soon dude, too soon.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 AM

Michael Hutchence's death was a shock and made me sadder than a rational person should feel over the death of a complete stranger. Ditto Tom Petty. And, pretty much everyone that's been named already. I'm one of those weirdos who gets really upset when my favorite celebrities pass
Old 09-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I cried when Jim Henson died. So unexpected, too young, and totally avoidable. And I was in love with Kermit.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
Carrie Fisher's death was the saddest for me personally, and obviously sad for her family and friends, and it came at a really bad time (creatively, I mean, apart from her being relatively young and still a lovely person), but I wouldn't count it among these because it wasn't exactly surprising in retrospect.

Agreed, Guillermo González Nova killed a woman and nearly killed a child just because he wanted to speed his boat wherever he wanted to go, then got a member of staff to take the fall rather than... admit what he did, not go to jail, and pay money he could easily afford, so it's not like he would even have lost much by giving her family some closure.

Probably not possible to know but it wouldn't be surprising.
Nothing about Debbie Reynolds? Dying from a stroke (and a broken heart) the day after her daughter died?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

The unseemly and messy death of Sam Cooke. Link

He was an emerging superstar.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Natasha Richardson was on a ski trip with husband Liam Neeson (and kids?) when she hit her head. She felt it wasn't serious and went home to lie down. She was wrong. She died of a subdural hematoma.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Rodney Dangerfield's death hit me hard. He was such a funny, funny man.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

George Gershwin. Died at 38 of a brain tumor.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Prince.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Charlie Christian died of tuberculosis at the age of 25. He pretty much invented modern jazz guitar, and is considered by jazz historians to be one of the inventors of be-bop. It's amazing that he accomplished so much by this age, and it's sad to think of what else he might have done had he not died so young.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Nancy Spungen dying as a 20-year-old, drug-addicted, ex-prostitute groupie of a stab wound in a flophouse hotel has to be in the running. I suppose it only counts, though, if Sid Vicious actually killed her.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:30 PM

Another tragic death of a former entertainer was Bryan Harvey of House of Freaks, who sadly is better known for his and his family's death in a home invasion than he ever was for his music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Freaks
Old 09-09-2019, 03:33 PM

Lennon, of course. Still remember that morning, just two days before my birthday. Depressed my mood until well after Christmas.
And Marc Bolan. And Prince.
Probably only known to Spaniards of a certain age, but another one in a car crash: Nino Bravo.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:26 PM

Stan Rogers.

Damn smokers.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Katrin Cartlidge.

I'm a huuuuuuge Mike Leigh fan, so this one hit me hard.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
Charlie Christian died of tuberculosis at the age of 25. He pretty much invented modern jazz guitar, and is considered by jazz historians to be one of the inventors of be-bop. It's amazing that he accomplished so much by this age, and it's sad to think of what else he might have done had he not died so young.
Yes, Charlie for sure. Reading through the thread, I thought of Christian right away.

In his very short life, he became a towering figure in jazz. Who knows what he might have achieved had he lived longer. Who knows what jazz would have become had he lived. As it is, jazz is what it is in no small part because of him.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
In music, the death of Duane Allman affected me most (next to Lennon).

Vivian Stanshall, mostly because of the circumstances: his apartment burnt down because he was smoking in bed.
And, speaking of falling asleep with a lit cigarette, Luther Perkins.

Damn. I am so glad I quit smoking...
Old 09-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Towering musical talents who died to young:

Piaf (47)
Elvis (42)
Hank Williams (29)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Chris Cornell, on May 18, 2017 (37 years to the day after Ian Curtis's suicide), followed by Chester Bennington on what would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday, July 20, 2017. Both deaths were ruled to be suicides.

I saw Chris Cornell touring in early 2010 in support of his Scream album and was totally blown away by his performance. I never did get to see Linkin Park.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koryphos View Post
Chris Cornell, on May 18, 2017 (37 years to the day after Ian Curtis's suicide), followed by Chester Bennington on what would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday, July 20, 2017. Both deaths were ruled to be suicides.

I saw Chris Cornell touring in early 2010 in support of his Scream album and was totally blown away by his performance. I never did get to see Linkin Park.
I have a friend who used to work with touring productions of Broadway shows, and she was part of the team that was tasked with supplying dream choices for the cast. She lobbied hard for them to approach Chris Cornell for "Jesus Christ Superstar." They didn't even call his agent (and I think Cornell would have been an outstanding choice, and done a fantastic job).

They called - and got - Sebastian Bach.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
In music, the death of Duane Allman...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
George Gershwin. Died at 38 of a brain tumor.
These are the two that top my list. Towering geniuses still at the peak of their careers. Impossible to imagine Duane getting much better, but we'll never know. And George certainly wasn't diminishing when he passed.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I was introduced to the music of Nick Drake by a guitarist friend in the late 70s, early 80s. At the time he just seemed to be a dead too young, unknown. However he has become more popular as time has gone on, which just makes his death, little known, even more poignant.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Prince.
Came to post this. He had so much music left to give and was quietly philanthropic. His music and his good works will be missed.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
They called - and got - Sebastian Bach.
Who sucked big time.

The saga of Steve Barton is so sad it makes me cry. He suffered from depression his whole life, moved to Europe to get away from illegal drugs and get a clean start. He was the first Raoul and the second Phantom on Broadway, was amazing in the German production of Jim Steinman's [i/] Tanz der Vampire[/i], but was passed over for the Broadway production of Dance of the Vampire for Michael Crawford. That was the nail in his coffin. He got totally depressed and eventually committed suicide by overdosing on prescription drugs.

Crawford really suck in the role, and was kicked to the curb.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:12 AM

Surprised nobody’s mentioned Dana and Christopher Reeve yet. She took care of him for years after he was paralyzed until his death, then found out she had developed a rare cancer and only had a few months to live herself.
Brutal.
when it's really the Voice of God?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
And of course, D. Boon's death at just 27 years old shattered his best friend and bandmate Mike Watt and ended one of the greatest bands to ever exist. It still upsets me to think about and it's been over 30 years now.
This one niggled at me for a while.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
For cruel and sad I’ll have to third Stevie Ray Vaughn. He hit the depths of substance abuse and self-destructive behavior and came out the other side. His marriage ended but he seemed to have reached a peaceful place with his ex and again found happiness with someone else. He was starting to go beyond electric blues and expanding his music. It appeared that he was in a great place in his life and hitting his stride creatively. Then after a great show on an amazing tour with Clapton the helicopter hits wires.
Yep, I took this one hard. A month before he died I saw him play at the Gorge (still have the tattered t-shirt). I was a super fan at the time.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:19 AM

John Lennon, George Harrison and Tom Petty. Horribly crushed by all three.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM

He died wealthy in his 90s with a large family, so not particularly cruel, except maybe for the date: a week before Christmas 1737. His violins are still well regarded, though.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:13 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Karen Carpenter, who died of anorexia.

Heather O'Rourke, the little girl ("They're heeeere!") from Poltergeist, who died at age 12 of a bowel obstruction.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

While he was "only" a TV show screen writer and producer, David Angell and his wife, Lynn, were among the passengers of American Airlines Flight 11 killed in the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:41 PM

If memory serves me correctly, I think both Mark Wahlberg and Seth McFarlane were supposed to be on 9/11 flights
Old 09-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
For cruel and sad I’ll have to third Stevie Ray Vaughn. He hit the depths of substance abuse and self-destructive behavior and came out the other side. His marriage ended but he seemed to have reached a peaceful place with his ex and again found happiness with someone else. He was starting to go beyond electric blues and expanding his music. It appeared that he was in a great place in his life and hitting his stride creatively. Then after a great show on an amazing tour with Clapton the helicopter hits wires.
Much like Sam Kinison, who had given up drugs and alcohol. He'd gotten clean, got married, and was on his way to Vegas (I think) to do a show. Ironically, he was killed by a drunk driver.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
While he was "only" a TV show screen writer and producer, David Angell and his wife, Lynn, were among the passengers of American Airlines Flight 11 killed in the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City.
Berry Berenson, sister of Marisa Berenson who herself had several significant acting roles in the 1970s, also died on a 9/11 flight. Sarah Ferguson was scheduled to attend a meeting in one of the towers later that day.

Barbara Olson, author and commentator, was on the Pentagon flight. If you wish to count authors here, the circumstances surrounding Michael Dorris' suicide were some of the most horrific of those of any public figure I know of; in short, he and fellow author Louise Erdrich were getting a divorce and she accused him of molesting their daughters, 3 biological and 1 adopted, and all of the daughters have said in the years since that the accusations were true.

Boston singer Bradley Delp's suicide also followed allegations of sexual misconduct; his girlfriend's sister was staying with them and found a hidden camera in her bathroom.