Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 PM

I've been inside the holding cell in the small police station in Penn Station in NYC.

How about the summit of Mt. Pelée on Martinique?

And I bet I'm the only Doper who's been in Ayn Rand's apartment.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I worked for a company that had a contract to do some electrical upgrades at Site R, the Raven Rock nuclear bunker in Pennsylvania. Got to walk around in the tunnels and visit the gift shop. Yes, they have a gift shop in a nuclear bunker.
Sorry, I’ve there a few times for several reasons back in the day.

I’ll offer up the rooftop of the Château de Versailles outside of Paris. I installed a radio or two there.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 PM

In the late 90s I went to a week long horseback tour of Monument Valley. It was only in business a couple of years since the operating costs were so high. We had a Navajo guide take us on an 6 hour excursion one of the days to a remote/restricted area of the valley that he said was inaccessible by foot, motor vehicle, or helicopter to see some Navajo burial grounds. He claimed very few outsiders had seen the place.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Has anyone dug for diamonds at the diamond mine in Murfreesboro,Ark?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
I have also been to (or at least past the entrance to) the world's oldest existing, functioning brewery, Weihenstephan, in Freising, outside of Munich.

Sadly I was too late to take the tour, so I found a nearby ratskeller and sampled several of their excellent brews instead.
Have also gone by and missed the tour, and also used to regularly buy their beer.

Has anyone else gone to the top of Mount Pryor in Montana to see the wild mustangs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Weihenstephan, in Freising, outside of Munich — yes, I’ve been there too! Bavarian beer, always good.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:01 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Regarding buildings, I've got a few unique ones.

I regularly have worked in the behind-the-scenes collection areas and exhibition fabrication shops at the Smithsonian and the American Museum of Natural History. I work mainly in the bird collections (which at the American Museum include one million specimens and take up five floors on one wing) but have also visited the paleontology collection at the National Museum with its shelves stacked with Triceratops skulls.

I visited the Human Anatomy Lab at Cornell Medical School in New York. My girlfriend at the time was in med schools and took me after hours to see the cadaver she was working on for class (in a room with about 20 other cadavers - all covered) being worked on by other students.

Lots of people have visited the Panama Canal, but I have been on a tour that included the control rooms for the locks as well as the machinery rooms that control them.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
In the late 90s I went to a week long horseback tour of Monument Valley. It was only in business a couple of years since the operating costs were so high. We had a Navajo guide take us on an 6 hour excursion one of the days to a remote/restricted area of the valley that he said was inaccessible by foot, motor vehicle, or helicopter to see some Navajo burial grounds. He claimed very few outsiders had seen the place.
Awesome! Love it!

Monument Valley is one of my favorite places. On my bucket list is to sleep there and wake before the sunrise, before twilight begins, and sit there quietly with a hot cup of Joe and watch as twilight begins, the stars fade away (has to be a new moon!), and the colors slowly change before the sun rises.

I might even play the soundtrack of Dances With Wolves — the french horn piece.

Awesome.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I visited the Human Anatomy Lab at Cornell Medical School in New York. My girlfriend at the time was in med schools and took me after hours to see the cadaver she was working on for class (in a room with about 20 other cadavers - all covered) being worked on by other students.
I've been in the equivalent room at Ohio State. At the time, I was a Medical Illustration student.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

I might have one.
Years ago I went on a medical mission to New Delhi. We did several day long clinics in dumps. Actual city dumps. Each dump had a hundreds of people living and working within it.
On the same trip I visited an inpatient heroin addiction facility. I hope no other dopers have been there.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Unfortunately (for me anyway, but not necessarily for the locals), the ice road between Inuvik and Tuk (or, Tuktoyaktuk) has been replaced by a real road about 100 miles long. I would have wanted to drive that ice road. I'll have to find another, I guess.

And as you know, Chefguy, I too plan to drive the Dalton up to Deadhorse. I want to visit the Arctic Ocean. (Hey, maybe I want to be Chefguy! )

gMap, 100 miles, Inuvik to Tuk -- https://goo.gl/maps/jHvnX7edgwcxmvtN6

I've been to Nome AK and the Bering Sea, but I supposed several other Dopers have too. Like Chefguy.

Also, I've been to Kotzebue AK. But that's not the farthest north I've been, which is Tromsø, Norway.
If you make it to Deadhorse, take a polar bear plunge into the Arctic Ocean. A young couple did that when we were there. I've been to Nome and Kotz, also Point Barrow. In fact, Kotzebue was my first trip outside of Anchorage that involved flying. It was when I was about 18 and working for the Alaska Dept. of Aviation one summer as a surveyor.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I regularly have worked in the behind-the-scenes collection areas and exhibition fabrication shops at the Smithsonian and the American Museum of Natural History.
My wife recently went on a special tour of the Smithsonian's natural history archival collection, primarily the insect and plant collections (she's a horticulturalist). They've got an unbelievable collection of things; she got to handle a plant sample that was collected on a Captain Cook expedition in the 1700s, and they had preserved plant samples from 100 years earlier than that. A visiting French horticulturalist remarked her jealousy that they didn't have anything nearly that old.

Last edited by DCnDC; 09-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Entangled
Charter Member

Checkpoint Charlie.
Inside Lenin's tomb.

In 1970, when I was 15. Influenced my worldview.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 09-10-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
If you make it to Deadhorse, take a polar bear plunge into the Arctic Ocean. A young couple did that when we were there. I've been to Nome and Kotz, also Point Barrow. In fact, Kotzebue was my first trip outside of Anchorage that involved flying. It was when I was about 18 and working for the Alaska Dept. of Aviation one summer as a surveyor.
Cool, thanks.

(Have I mentioned this one already? Don't recall...) I've been in a gold mine where they were pouring gold bricks. It was in the Philippines in the 1980s and we had connections to the mine's executives. It was hot in there, with all the fires melting the gold. A recently-poured brick was on a table and our tour leader said if anyone can pick it up with one hand, they can have it. I was a young stud of 24 back then and I sure tried, but could not. Of course he was joking. I was able to pick it up with two hands. Most didn't even try but I had to. That sucker was heavy, it was significantly larger than a standard adobe brick like you see in a red brick house - maybe 40% larger.

The gold still looked dirty and the guy said it still needed to be cured (or cleaned, something like that -- I'm not familiar with the process). The brick looked like a dirty bronze thing, not with a shiny gold finish. Still it was pretty cool to do that.

This was with Benguet Mines ("Beng-GET"). It was quite an experience.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Anyone else been to Cape Bird, Antarctica? It's a New Zealand field camp on the northern tip of Ross Island.

How about Snares Island? 200km south of New Zealand's South Island. Landing on the island is by special research permit only.

Or the Murchison Mountains in Fiordland, New Zealand - the only place where the rare Takahe can be seen in the wild

Or
Old 09-10-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Checkpoint Charlie.
Inside Lenin's tomb.

I crossed at Checkpoint Charlie in the 80s when I was with Diplomatic Security, on our way to the East Berlin embassy. East Berlin was a really grim place in those days.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:01 PM

Anyone else been to Mercury, Nevada - base of operations for the Nevada Test Site?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post

Roadside America, Shartlesville, Pennsylvania: an indoor, 1-acre miniature village representing small-town America. Buttons to push, model trains to watch, tiny animals moving about, lighted buildings; at (the village's) nighttime, you get, "God Bless America," by Kate Smith blaring across the town and projected images of The Flag and the Statue of Liberty. A real hoot! Apparently, my grandfather (died 1975) was there in his late 30s/early 40s.
I was there as a kid, when my parents took us around Amish country. Mid-60s I think.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Cat Island, Bahamas.
Staniel Cay, in the Bahamas. An island so small that the placemat in the only restaurant had a map with everyone's homes on the island marked.
We flew into the small airstrip and stayed on a houseboat.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:20 PM

I've curled at the Border Curling Club in Stanstead, Quebec.

Few people, even in Stanstead, can say that.

Or were you looking for something more profound?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I thought of one more - the basement of the UN. Back when I was in high school my father worked there, and when I visited I pushed through some doors in the lower lobby, by the vending machines, marked Employees Only. Never got stopped. Back then, no security to mention.
Just offices down there, nothing very interesting.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pábitel View Post

Cool. I've curled at the Niagara Falls Curling Club, in Niagara Falls, Ontario. It's the one and only one time I tried curling. We had the whole family, wife and I, our three adult kids and my daughter's boyfriend. Fun times!

Similarly un-profound.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I've been on a nuclear submarine under the polar ice cap at the North Pole. We broke through the ice and surfaced numerous times as well (but not right at the North Pole itself, because the ice was too thick at that point).
Old 09-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pábitel View Post

Nope, just places you think are unlikely to have been visited by the rest of us.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I've been on a nuclear submarine under the polar ice cap at the North Pole. We broke through the ice and surfaced numerous times as well (but not right at the North Pole itself, because the ice was too thick at that point).
Cool. Straight out of Ice Station Zebra.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:26 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
Anyone else been to Mercury, Nevada - base of operations for the Nevada Test Site?
No but I've been to both Mars (PA) and Uranus (MO). Uranus is actually a great place ----- as the locals say "Everyone has big fun in Uranus".
Old 09-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
No but I've been to both Mars (PA) and Uranus (MO). Uranus is actually a great place ----- as the locals say "Everyone has big fun in Uranus".
Ha! I've been to Boring, OR, which is not far from here. Their sister city is Dull, Scotland.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I regularly have worked in the behind-the-scenes collection areas and exhibition fabrication shops at the Smithsonian and the American Museum of Natural History. I work mainly in the bird collections (which at the American Museum include one million specimens and take up five floors on one wing) but have also visited the paleontology collection at the National Museum with its shelves stacked with Triceratops skulls.
I visited the Garber Facility back in the day when it was still open (now replaced by the Udvar-Hazy Center). I've often thought since then that what's back in the storage/restoration facilities and collection areas of the Smithsonian buildings is at least as interesting as what's on exhibit (if not more so).
Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I've been in the cockpit of a P-51 Mustang piloted by Bob Hoover, the WW II ace and test/stunt pilot, while we did aerobatics, including snap rolls 50 feet over Lake Butte des Morts, WI.
Cool! Was it the famous Yellow one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
Has anyone else gone to the top of Mount Pryor in Montana to see the wild mustangs?
I can see wild mustangs from my couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
I changed a flat tire on a motorcycle trailer on the exit ramp. Does that count?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Ha! I've been to Boring, OR, which is not far from here. Their sister city is Dull, Scotland.
Cool. I've been to Yeehaw Junction FL, and Braggadocio MO.

Other Dopers likely have, too, especially Yeehaw Junction which is on a beaten path between Miami and Orlando.

I haven't been to Boring OR. Not yet.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cool. I've been to Yeehaw Junction FL, and Braggadocio MO.

Other Dopers likely have, too, especially Yeehaw Junction which is on a beaten path between Miami and Orlando.

I haven't been to Boring OR. Not yet.
I've been to Yeehaw Junction several times as in the 80s my mom's boyfriend's law firm owned a ranch near there - it had a diner that was one of the few places I knew that served frogs legs so whenever we went there I insisted on indulging for the novelty factor even though it wasn't that much better than chicken for a higher price and smaller portions.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Cool! Was it the famous Yellow one?
Indeed it was. I got pics with him in it, and he gave my dad his hat!
Old 09-10-2019, 09:52 PM

I have walked the perimeter of the caldera at La Gomera, Canary Islands, above the cloud line.

I have visited Eefde, Giethoorn, Gorssel, and Hoge Veluwe National Park (featuring the fabulous Kröller-Müller Museum) in the Netherlands.

And of course, I've been in my kitchen, but so has AHunter3, so that's right out.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:19 PM

I've been in Boring, Tangent, and Drain, Oregon. Road trip!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
I have tested and inspected the CO2 fire suppression system in the generator room adjacent to the Underground War Room at SAC Headquarters, Offut AFB in Bellevue, NE. This old building and command center has since been demolished and the command center has been relocated to the new site.
I've been in the Diefenbunker, built near Ottawa as a government emergency command center in case of WWIII. I was stationed there for 6 months in the early 70s, and have been back several times since it became a museum, for a tour, an "escape room" game, and a megagame exercise.

Quote:
In the early 2000s, we drove our RV to Inuvik, NWT via the Dempster Highway. Inuvik is located on the McKenzie River delta, about 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle. I believe it's the farthest north that one can drive in Canada.
I've never been there, but my cousin lived there for a number of years. She worked for the NWT government, and her husband was a teacher. They moved to the big city of Yellowknife (his home town) when their kids got older.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:10 AM

Probably the most remote place I've been is Mt. Hibok-hibok, an active volcano in Camiguin island in the Philippines. With friends I climbed around 4/5ths of the way to the summit.

I've been in the building that was once the Women's Lunatic Asylum on Blackwell's Island, where Nellie Bly went undercover to investigate brutality and neglect. It was restored and is now the lobby of an apartment building: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oc...osevelt_Island)

I've also been inside the interpreters' booth at the United Nations; it's off-limits to the public, but an interpreter brought me inside.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The one in South Dakota? Been there. I liked the sign on the door to the control room that said "Delivery in under 30 minutes, guaranteed."
And it's painted to resemble a Domino's pizza box. Been there.

Q for Chefguy about Dalton highway: Can you drive it in a regular (newish) pickup truck? Can you do it with a normal gas tank? I've always read that the truckers on that road are "less than friendly" to wandering tourists. Did you notice anything like that? It's on my bucket list.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:00 AM

I'm probably not the only person who was inside the original Pennsylvania Station in NYC, while it was being demolished. This was back in the mid-1960s.

How about the location where lava from Kilauea Volcano crashes into the ocean? You had to carefully walk over very precarious and dangerous "ruins," way past the sign prohibiting further access. Great photo op!

I was also at the "Wiener Riesenrad", the ferris wheel in Vienna that was featured in The Third Man. Also, the doorway in which Orson Welles was first standing.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:31 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I've been to Point Roberts, WA

I still need to get to Angle Inlet and the Kentucky Bend.

Also that little bit of WI that can only be reached by road via MN highway 23.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I've been to Point Roberts, WA

I still need to get to Angle Inlet and the Kentucky Bend.

Also that little bit of WI that can only be reached by road via MN highway 23.
Exclaves are interesting places. I’ve been to Point Roberts WA too. On land you reach it from Tsawwassen BC, an interesting place name. I too still need to get to Angle Inlet (Angle Township MN) and the Kentucky Bend (Tiptonville KY).

Thanks for mentioning that piece of WI and hwy MN-23. On the map it looks like it’s just north of the Wabegon Bar & Grill in Superior WI.

Your post led me to Wikipedia’s Border irregularities of the United States. These places are listed on that page, along with others.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
East Berlin was a really grim place in those days.
Indeed, and made to seem all the grimmer by its contrast with West Berlin.

When I was there, 25 years after the end of WWII, West Berlin was rebuilt, its wide thoroughfares alive with people, cars, and color. Much of East Berlin still looked like this.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:26 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning that piece of WI and hwy MN-23. On the map it looks like it’s just north of the Wabegon Bar & Grill in Superior WI.
Googling turns up a number of articles about the Wabegon Bar and Grill's unique location, and the benefits to thirsty/gambling Minnesotans nearby.

I loves me some enclaves and exclaves, to be sure.

PS: you a Giants fan? I went to HS with Brett Butler. Not a geographic anomaly, or unique location it's true.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 09-11-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 AM

I may be the only one on this board who’s hiked the Snowdonia Way in Wales from Machynlleth to Conwy. Considering that we did a combination of high-level and low-level route sections, not to mention a few wrong turns side trips, I’m sure nobody followed the exact path we did.

Another fairly unique UK hike is in the Lake District from Ulverston to Coniston. We’ve also done the round trip around Ullswater.

I’ve been to the Scilly Islands in Cornwall and visited every island you could get to by public boat.

In China, I worked in Shandong province for eight months and visited all of the provincial highlights, at least the best sounding ones in the Lonely Planet.

In France, we’ve done a week’s bike riding in the Entre-Deux-Mers following a custom wine tasting route.

A couple other remote places in Europe are Flåm, Norway (including the village, not just the tourist area) and Mjlit Island, Croatia.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Googling turns up a number of articles about the Wabegon Bar and Grill's unique location, and the benefits to thirsty/gambling Minnesotans nearby.

I loves me some enclaves and exclaves, to be sure.

PS: you a Giants fan? I went to HS with Brett Butler. Not a geographic anomaly, or unique location it's true.
Libertyville High School? Yes I’m a Giants fan. I remember Brett Butler very well. He was on the team at Candlestick Park when the Loma Prieta earthquake stopped Game 3 of the 1989 World Series.

Related places I’ve been: The San Francisco Giants played at Candlestick Park, which is now demolished. I attended many games there, as have other Dopers.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Q for Chefguy about Dalton highway: Can you drive it in a regular (newish) pickup truck? Can you do it with a normal gas tank? I've always read that the truckers on that road are "less than friendly" to wandering tourists. Did you notice anything like that? It's on my bucket list.
I plan to drive this too in a newish Jeep Grand Cherokee. From the reading I’ve done, the truckers are just trying to get through and do their job. The road isn’t wide, so tourist drivers like us need to be watchful for trucks and give them space to get past. I intend to pull over and let them pass easily, so I can then continue at my leisurely, scenery-admiring pace.

Just keep your eyes peeled for the truckers, give them room, and I think we’ll be fine. If I don’t, e.g., then a trucker will likely be on the CB radio telling other truckers, hey folks watch out for the asshat driving the white Grand Cherokee with California plates. Which then could lead to other, umm, interesting encounters with other truckers.

Hopefully Chefguy will chime in.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And it's painted to resemble a Domino's pizza box. Been there.

I was driving a 27' motor home and had no problems with the truckers. The only incident worth mentioning was a company pickup truck with an asshole driving it that passed me at a high rate of speed, which threw a cloud of rocks up into my vehicle. No damage, but it really pissed me off. The rule of thumb on that road is that if you slow down, so will the truck drivers. If you are throwing up a big cloud of dust when you approach an oncoming semi, he's probably not going to slow down, which could cost you your windshield. I just slowed to a stop and pulled as far to the right as possible. My understanding now is that there are even tour buses driving the highway.

As for gas, the highway is about 400 miles to Deadhorse from its intersection with the Elliot Highway just north of Fairbanks. You can refuel at Coldfoot, which is about 240 miles from Deadhorse, so as long as your tank will get you that far, you're fine. You can then refuel again at Deadhorse for the return trip.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Many good places to visit in the future in this thread!

I am reasonably sure that noone has been to Longyearbyen (Svalbard) or to Koh Rong Sanloem (a small island off Sihanoukville in Cambodia)

And I am very sure that noone has been on Round Island, Mauritius. The island is a conservation area and off limits to visitors except for field station personnel (I got in because my now ex-girlfriend did the fieldwork for her thesis there and I got to go there for 10 days). It is home to several species which are either very rare or extinct outside of the island (e.g. the Gunthers Gecko or the Telfair Skink). Plus a huge colony of Shearwaters and Petrels.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 AM

I have been backstage at Madison Square Garden. When we were leaving we were directed to an elevator which would take us up to street level. We couldn't find the elevator so we asked an old man who was sitting on a chair where the elevator was. He informed us that we were in it. It was huge. He said that it's the elevator they use to bring beer into MSG. They don't load the cases of beer into the elevator - they drive the truck into the elevator and bring it down into the building.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
Inside the reactor compartment of a U.S. Navy nuclear power plant.

...while it was shut down, of course.

(The reactor compartment is the portion of the power plant that is within the secondary shield, and contains the shielded reactor vessel itself. While at power, this area is strictly off limits and sealed.
The hatch looks like a gigantic lead cork, and the viewing windows are a deep amber color from the thickness and special stuff in the glass.)

My specialty was referred to as an ELT (Engineering Laboratory Technician) and we were responsible for the plant chemistry and radiation safety. As part of the second aspect, we were the ones who set up the control point through which folks accessed the reactor compartment during shutdown.

There are other Navy nukes on this board, and they surely visited the reactor compartment at least once during their qualifications.
Yup. I remember going through the reactor compartment of the D1G prototype reactor in upstate New York, and squeezing around a tight space inside. IIRC, it was the heavily shielded ion exchanger (which acts to filter out any impurities in the coolant, and is therefore itself highly radioactive, even when the plant is shut down). Anyway, it was a very exposed position to squeeze your whole torso around one of the more radioactive parts of the plant. I imagined I was getting a whole body X-ray, but worse (because they were gammas).
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That sounds a lot like the private logging roads deep in the North Maine Woods. These unpaved roads are the only way to access the upstream starting points for many of the inland wilderness waterways, like the Allagash River and the West Branch of the Penobscot River.

Every time I've traveled on these roads, I was in a van full of people while hauling a trailer with 5-6 canoes. Anytime we encountered a logging truck on these gravel roads, our driver pulled over as far as he could to get out of their way. Many of them drove at ridiculous speeds (50-70 mph on dirt roads). Our drivers always noted that it was their road and they always had the right-of-way, so it was best to just get out of their way.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
I've been in Boring, Tangent, and Drain, Oregon. Road trip!
Done Boring and Drain a lot of times. How about Arock?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
[...]
Anyone else been in the Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna?
Check!
The most remote place I have been was on the western shore of Lake Baikal, where the famous end of the road can be found. We took one of this Sowjet hydrofoils (Cometa) and went further, past Listvyanka, to places where I guess I will never be again but not all the way up to Nizhneangarsk. That was almost 20 yr ago, wonder how much tourism development there has been since. By the turn of the Century it was desolate but beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'll be quite surprised if anybody turns out to have been to Olite Castle, the Foz de Arbayún or the Ciudad Encantada in Cuenca. [...]
Check the Ciudad Encantada too. It was in all my geography schoolbooks and one day I went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
I have also been to (or at least past the entrance to) the world's oldest existing, functioning brewery, Weihenstephan, in Freising, outside of Munich.

Sadly I was too late to take the tour, so I found a nearby ratskeller and sampled several of their excellent brews instead.
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Checkpoint Charlie.
[...]
Mine too! I crossed it a couple of times, as I have a Spanish passport too (Germans had to go through other checkpionts). But I lived round the corner, so it probably does not count. 1982.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkster View Post
[...]
I've also been inside the interpreters' booth at the United Nations; it's off-limits to the public, but an interpreter brought me inside.
I am an interpreter myself, I have not worked there, but we were allowed to visit. Have been in many other booths, of course: probably all the (Spanish) booths in Brussels, in the Bundeskanzleramt in Berlin, the Reichstag... funny how you get blasé with all the places they let you in as an interpreter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
[...]
I was also at the "Wiener Riesenrad", the ferris wheel in Vienna that was featured in The Third Man. [...]
I also was in Oulu and drove to Saariselkä, Finnland. In Winter! That is the other end of the road I mentioned above, or at least feels like it is.