Old 09-08-2019, 08:20 PM

Weighted blanket discussion

Does anyone here use a weighted blanket? I've been reading this discussion on reddit, and I'm intrigued.

My sleep is really crappy. I'm super fussy when I first settle down-- pillows, blankets, temp all have to be just so-- and even then I wake up a lot. I am inclined toward anxiety and the weighted blanket is supposed to help with that. Like a Thundershirt for people. In that discussion, many women say the blanket is instantly calming, but others say it's claustrophobic and too hot. Some say they only use it for relaxing, TV watching, etc., and can't sleep with it. Others say it helps them sleep through the night like a dead rock at the bottom of the ocean (if only).

Apparently there's a formula for choosing the right weight based on your body weight.

Here are a bunch of them at amazon.

Any Dopers tried one?

ETA: Here's a good article on the subject.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 09-08-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM

I have one. I don't really like it. I find something about it kind of scary.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 PM

I haven't tried one but I can see where it would work. I know one of the reasons I sleep better in cooler weather is I like the feeling of lots of blankets on me.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

My 14 year old regularly sleeps with it. Has sleep issues and it tends to help.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:15 AM

I hated it. Too hot. I gave it to the lil'wrekker for her dorm room. She doesn't sleep under it. She folds it in half and uses it like a mattress pad.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-09-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 AM

I love mine. I only use it for sleeping, and slept well from the first time I used it. It's good in the summer when it's too hot for a big comforter.

This is the one I have - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-09-2019, 01:11 AM

I just use an old blanket. It's heavy because it's from before people invented artificial fibers. I find most modern covers too lightweight; my wool blankets are Just So and, when the weather is too hot to actually sleep under them, get kicked to the floor as soon as I fall asleep. Dad was the same way.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:57 AM

Mine is probably too heavy. It gets hot in the summertime, but it's nice in winter.

Also makes it a bit of a workout just to change body position... and if a little too much drapes over the side, it's pulling down the entire blanket and much of the covers with it.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:16 AM

I love it, husband doesn't. I like to keep my bedroom very cold so I can snuggle under lots of blankets and I do sleep more soundly. We bought one for my son, but he didn't like it. My daughter took it over and LOVES it. She even uses it in the summer! She's 15 and can have anxiety problems. My friend's son, who is 10 with ADHD, also loves his. If you already like that feeling of having heavy covers/blankets in bed, it's definitely worth trying.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 AM

Bought one for my son when he was a sprog, worked wonders for sleeping and for helping him to calm himself down. I don't think he uses it anymore because he's all grown up (21) and such things are for children. So he'll come back to it when he's a little older. I've always liked having the extra weight when I sleep. Like Nava, when I was growing up I used heavy blankets (and lots of them in the winter!) so maybe I'm just used to it or maybe it makes me less nuts, dunno. But yeah, summer is a challenge because I absolutely do not like the feel of just a single sheet. Vampires can bite right through it for one thing.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
...I absolutely do not like the feel of just a single sheet. Vampires can bite right through it for one thing.
I hear ya on that one! When I was a kid, I never slept with my hands outside the covers for just such a reason. I was always terrified at night.

I've outgrown that, but I do like the feeling of some weight, even in the summer. I especially like the feeling of the covers pinned up against my back. When I lie on my side, I roll forward a little so that the covers drape all the way over my back and then roll back to pin them there-- like a cocoon. In the past, when another human shared my bed, I'd always ask my bedmate to tuck the covers tightly around me. No drafts!

I might give one a try. Easy enough to return. I appreciate the comments very much.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I don't even like the weight of a regular blanket on me. Feels like too much weight pushing on my chest, and when it's cold enough to need to use it I have to adjust it every time I roll over.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I hated it. Too hot. I gave it to the lil'wrekker for her dorm room. She doesn't sleep under it. She folds it in half and uses it like a mattress pad.
We got one for our son (who is ASD) before they became trendy. He also never really wanted to be under it and instead would sleep on top of it. Guess he liked the sensation of the bead-filled pads but not the actual weight of it on him.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:38 PM

I've been using one for the last couple of months. I bought it because I need weight when I sleep. I can't sleep with just a sheet or even a lightweight quilt. I like it but I don't feel I sleep any better. It's wonderful now that it's so cool at night (40-50'sF). I have my window open and a fan blowing on me. I can snuggle down under my blankets and get cozy. The only thing that's a pain is that it tends to move around a lot. I have to practically redo my bed every day because the weighted blanket has slid down or the comforter has slid around. When I changed my sheets this weekend I tried something different. The weighted blanket is a plain cottony material on one side and a velour/velvety fabric on the other side. I was placing it on my bed with the velvety side up. My comforter kept slipping around. This time I put the velvety side down on top of the top sheet. Last night was the first night with that method and it seems to work better.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:28 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Tried it, it made my insomnia worse. So it sits in my closet.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 PM

My son uses one because it was recommended to help with his anxiety/ADD related sleep problems. He likes it. I have no idea if it's actually "doing anything" or not.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Thanks, TL for posting this question.

I've noticed a lot of them being promoted on Amazon Giveaways and such.

And I sort of don't get it. I hate being "held down" and such. I like a nice, light fluffy comforter. A weighted blanket would be agony.

But ... some people like them and a few people apparently get calmed down by the "hugging" nature of them.

I wonder how a person can tell which group they are in without buying one? And are there really that many people who like and/or benefit from them?

Have they been around a while and I just hadn't noticed or is this the fad of the season?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:18 PM

I live in a warmish climate, plus I hate that heavy feeling so I'd hate it. I have a down duvet which I use in the winter (it does get cooler at night -- esp. since I'm on the coast), and most other seasons I just use the empty duvet cover.

The only time I've liked heavy blankets on me is when I did apheresis donations at the Red Cross. It's a surprisingly cold process.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I wonder how a person can tell which group they are in without buying one?
I think it's the sort of thing people know from their other experiences. I love the feel of heavy blankets, so I am sure I would like it. Unfortunately, the cost of having one shipped to my island, plus the fact it's too warm to use it for at least half the year, means I have no plans to buy one. But as long as I was in a cool enough room, I know I'd adore it.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 PM

I really like mine. I am a light sleeper and have a hard time getting back to sleep. The weighted blanked seriously makes my sleep better. It has been too hot to use it lately, though.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Since they are expensive and some people here have one just sitting in a closet, maybe we can set up some kind of exchange?

:-p
Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I think it's the sort of thing people know from their other experiences. I love the feel of heavy blankets, so I am sure I would like it.
And you might be wrong. I love heavy blankets. I was surprised that I didn't like the weighted blanket...maybe a lighter one would've been better, but I bought the recommended weight.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:01 PM

I could take up an offer of an unwanted weighted blanket, tbh. Can't imagine what I could give in exchange though.

More on topic, though, surely a cooler airated weighted blanket is feasible and in demand. Or maybe I'm being a dunning kruger here.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM

I'm kind of suspicious about the 'recommended weight' thing - I think if all those different reactions are telling us anything they're telling us that different people have different sensory needs, and that you need a blanket that's right for your sensory needs, not for your weight. For instance, I'd purely hate carrps' empty duvet cover - I sleep under two doonas, always, and if the house is too hot for that, I cool it down till it's not. That's about three kilos of weight (six or seven pounds) so that's the right weight for me. I'd be open to trying more weight but dunno if I'd want to leap straight to 8 kilos as a shot in the dark.

If the money won't break you though, seems worth trying
Old 09-09-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Have they been around a while and I just hadn't noticed or is this the fad of the season?
They've been around for a while used for things like anxiety or sensory-seeking conditions like some types of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Feels as though, in the last year, they've become trendy on Facebook and stuff and more people are buying them just because. On some level, I find that annoying but recognize that it's irrational and probably actually helps people with sensory needs since they were more of a therapeutic niche item before and pretty expensive as a result. Being available from twenty different people on Amazon can only make them more accessible. Also, it's none of my business if people buying them have whatever condition or no condition (again, recognizing the irrationality of being bothered).
Old 09-10-2019, 12:32 AM

I am a recent convert to the weighted blanket. And now, every member of my family has one. I first got a 15lb blanket, but have now upgraded to the jumbo 25 pounder. Based on how you describe yourself (and you sound a lot like me), I'd recommend the 25lb version, regardless of your weight. It was about a year ago that I did my research, but at that time 25lb was the heaviest, because they recommend a blanket that is 10% or less of your body weight. But if you suffer any type of anxiety or stress, 10% of your body weight won't cut it. The only downside is that it can be HOT during the summer months, if you aren't running the air conditioning.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM

I ordered a 15-lb one for starters. And I got a twin size, as I plan on using it for naps. I've had anxiety and panic attacks my whole life. I keep a supply of Xanax on hand but use it very sparingly. If this helps, I'm all for it.

I really like the feeling of pressure when my cat crawls up on me during the night. She's only 9 lbs. If I could get both cats to do it, that would be 18 lbs right there. But they don't get along... could get ugly.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I love mine. I only use it when it's cold so I haven't used it for a while this summer. It's a 12-pounder, which is definitely less than 10% of my weight, but I like the feeling of it pressing down on me.

I discovered early on that I have to put it sideways across me, because I hated the feeling of it pushing my feet down and it gave me foot cramps. But across my torso is great.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Interesting, Infovore. Mine came today. The box felt really heavy. It came with a carrying bag, I guess if you want to take it on the road. This is the one I got-- 15 lbs. It felt really heavy just spreading it out on the bed. I can't imagine a 25-pounder. Once I got under it, I also had to stick my feet out of the bottom. It was way too much pressure on my toes. The pressure on the rest of me felt good-- it didn't feel like too much. Quite comfortable. As I lay there listening to a podcast, one of my cats (NOT the one that usually crawls up on me, but the OTHER one) jumped up, curled up on my stomach and promptly fell fast asleep. She NEVER does that. I had to be somewhere for a meeting, so didn't get to take a real nap, but I will definitely keep using it.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 AM

I fucking love mine. I've always been someone who can't fall asleep without what I call "heavy feets" -- at least a comforter folded down on itself, a couple blankets, etc. It's literally like I don't feel safe and secure enough without it.

The weighted blanket is great. Usually I have it folded up for mega heavy feets, but sometimes I use it pulled all the way up. It instantly helps relax me.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:46 AM

I've been thinking about getting one for a couple of months now. I think I'd love the added weight---I got the idea from reading about Temple Grandin's hug machine, and just the mere suggestion of being swaddled up immediately seemed incredibly relaxing to me. But I can't really tolerate too much heat when I sleep; in fact, I generally sleep with an open window, and even then, only halfway under my cover. So does 'weighted blanket' necessarily equal heat, or are there cooler options?
Old 09-13-2019, 11:01 AM

I can't say for sure, since I don't know your heat tolerances, but I'll say that my weighted blanket is nowhere near as warm as you'd think it would be. My guess is because the weight comes from plastic beads, which aren't designed to be insulating. I've used mine pulled up in the summer before and been fine.

Also, even if it was too warm for full sleeping, you could try it folded down onto your lower legs like I often do, or use it before bed as part of winding down/relaxing.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:51 PM

My wife bought one, never for use in the bedroom but for evenings to cover up when she was lounging on the couch. To be honest, after a week or so it has sat at the bottom of the storage compartment in an ottoman.

The idea of a weighted blanket sounds absolutely awful to me. I don't want something heavy comforting and restricting me. I am an active sleeper, meaning I do change positions regularly, and I like nice down comforters and that warm/fluffy feeling.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:38 PM

I've had my eyes on a weighted blanket for a while but wasn't sure if it was right for me.
After reading this thread I decided to give it a try - and I love it! I usually twist and turn a lot before I can sleep but I'm much calmer than with the blanket.

I have gone for one that weighs about 15 lbs/ 7 kg but Iíve already decided I need a heavier one. Quite a bit heavier, really. I will have to try out how much weight is perfect for me.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:18 PM

Those of you who sleep under it at night (as opposed to daytime napping) do you have the blanket on top of your top sheet? IOW is there a sheet between you and the weighted blanket? Or do you have the blanket directly on top of you?

Bonus question: do you wear jammies or the equivalent or go au naturel?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Those of you who sleep under it at night (as opposed to daytime napping) do you have the blanket on top of your top sheet? IOW is there a sheet between you and the weighted blanket? Or do you have the blanket directly on top of you?

I sleep with a top sheet and then my weighted blanket. I wear pajama bottoms (short or long) and a tank top. I do keep my room fairly cool in both summer and winter. I have a twin sized blanket and it is just over me. My husband doesn't need/want it over him.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
I sleep with a top sheet and then my weighted blanket. I wear pajama bottoms (short or long) and a tank top. I do keep my room fairly cool in both summer and winter. I have a twin sized blanket and it is just over me. My husband doesn't need/want it over him.
Very informative-- thank you!

I have lain under it to relax, but haven't either napped or slept at night under it. I don't know what my problem is. I'm such an annoyingly fussy, princess-and-the-pea kind of sleeper. I only got about three hours sleep last night. I just need to try it. I will try it tonight!
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 PM

I use a sheet with mine, but my son doesn't. I ended up finding that I enjoyed a blanket that was heavy enough for me to feel snuggled in but not so heavy that I had to stick my feet out of it, because they hurt under the blanket.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:29 AM

Last night's experience: I went to bed about 11:30 and fell asleep quickly, helped by the fact that I'd only had 3-ish hours of sleep the night before, and a Headspace dialogue that had me counting backwards from 10,000. (I got to 9,951-- I think.) The weight felt good. I was afraid it might feel oppressive, but it didn't.

I woke up overheated at 12:45. This is pretty common. I rarely stay under the covers all night, even light covers. The weighted blanket multiplied the overheating effect. I keep the temp in the house at 77-ish (see related thread), because if I set it any lower, my body really heats up and I wake up all sweaty. This estrogen-blocking drug that I've been taking post-breast cancer has completely messed up my internal thermostat--I'm always having a hot flash or on the verge of one. I'm in and out of the covers all night. I'm sure no human being will ever want to share my bed again with all the tossing, turning, flapping of covers, etc.

Anyhoo, I moved the weighted blanket aside and slept the rest of the night with no covers. Sigh.

I may need to reserve it for naps. I come off this drug in nine months. Hope I start feeling normal again after that.

Do continue y'all's* stories. I'm enjoying them a lot.

* That IS a real word.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I sleep in a tank/cami and underwear. I use a top sheet, a quilt and then my weighted blanket. The quilt is very light - I only use it in the summer. I'll be switching to a comforter within the next couple of weeks. I have my window open with a window fan running on low. Our outside night temps have been in the upper 50s.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I sleep in a tank/cami and underwear. I use a top sheet, a quilt and then my weighted blanket. The quilt is very light - I only use it in the summer. I'll be switching to a comforter within the next couple of weeks. I have my window open with a window fan running on low. Our outside night temps have been in the upper 50s.
Outside night temps here are still around 80.

What weight did you get for your blanket?
Old 09-17-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah, here, too. Although I think it got done to 75 last night. I would sweat into nothing but a puddle with something that heavy on me. I move around a lot, too, and I'd purely hate feeling pinned down like that.

Really interesting to read other people's experiences!
Old 09-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I use a top sheet, a quilt and then my weighted blanket.
In the summer I use an old, threadbare hospital blanket (so very light to begin with), or a sheet (untucked), or...nothing. I can't imagine all of those covers on me, unless maybe I was sleeping outside...in the middle of a cold snap...in winter.

Vanilla, chocolate & all that.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:40 PM

I use a top sheet under my weighted blanked (25 lb). The sheet adds a little bit of coolness, but I also run the AC at night so my room is cool. Not sure I could handle the weight if the room was hot.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:55 PM

I work for a public library. We have a small room that doubles as meeting space/meditation/need time alone, etc. I do not meditate, but one day about a month ago I went in there to take a nap. I looked around and saw what I had ignored in a number of emails that had gone out in the last few months about his new space. I found the weighted blanket and used it simply because I like to have something over me when I sleep whether I'm cold or not. It felt (as expected) heavy, and to me, uncomfortable. I did get a short nap in even though it felt like I was being crushed.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

Quote:

My blanket is 12#. I read that you should get one that's about 10% of your weight. I don't weigh 120# (I wish) but the next one up was 15#. I way around 135#. I thought that the 15# blanket might be too heavy and that I should start out with the lighter one. So far it seems perfect.

If our outside temps were 80 at night there would be no way I'd be able to sleep under the weighted blanket! Even at 55 degrees for an outside temp, I use a window fan. We don't have air conditioning.