Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM

Help with Athlete's Foot

So first of all, I have not seen my Dr. about this. I read that Athlete's foot can normally be taken care of with over the counter products.

I am a Boy Scout leader and early July was my troops week at summer camp. I have never worn any type of shoe or "flip flop" in the camp shower, and have never had a problem. But this year, the day after I came home from camp I noticed a red rash on the bottoms of my feet. I googled pictures of athlete's foot, and it looked like that was it. The next day I started using Lotrimin AF cream on my feet two to three times a day, using Great Value brand lysol spray on my shoes and on the tub after showers, and washing my feet in the tub with soap and water after work (I usually shower before bed) and drying my feet with a blow dryer. The rash quickly went away, but was replaced by flaky skin. (as a side note, for years I have had dry skin on my feet, but this was much, much worse) I looked at more pictures of athlete's foot, and that too looked like it. And through all this, my feet never itched or burned at all. The only indications of AF were visual.

When the first tube of Lotrimin AF cream ran out I replaced it with store brand that had the same ingredients.

After three weeks the flaky skin was still present. I then also began using Lotrimin AF powder morning, night and when I put on fresh socks through the day. And continuing to wash my feet after work, and using AF cream, and everything else.

So, almost three weeks ago, all signs of AF were gone. I set a date of this past Friday to be the last day of treatment. So, sunday night, no visual signs of AF, but I felt a very mild itching and very mild burning on my feet. And I do mean very mild. I almost think it might just be in my head. But, this morning I started treating my feet for AF again.

I am at a loss. If it keeps up, I guess i'll need to call my Dr.

If this is in the wrong forum, please move it. And I know that medical problems are best left to Doctors, but I figure Athlete's foot is so minor and so common that advice and be sought here.

Thank you for any ideas.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:34 PM

It can take a long time to find out what works. It took me years before I finally got rid of it. Try all the various formulations. I didn't really keep track of the different active ingredients very well, I just kept trying different ones when the redness came back. I think it was the generic Lamasil that finally worked for me.

Dennis
Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I tried a bunch of OTC creams as well as various alternative remedies (borax, bleach, listerine, etc).

What finally fixed it was putting vics vaporub on my feet at night before bed (then putting a sock on), and spraying my feet and toes with anti perspirant in the morning. That seemed to take care of it.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Vinegar soaks worked for me.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you have athlete's foot remember to put on your socks before you put on your underwear. Athlete's foot and jock itch are the same thing.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
If you have athlete's foot remember to put on your socks before you put on your underwear. Athlete's foot and jock itch are the same thing.
I'd think vice versa?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Tinea pedis vs tinea cruris, and ringworm is also the same thing. It's all fungus and it all sucks.

Last edited by SmartAleq; 09-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 PM

My Son uses diaper rash cream between his toes and only wears white socks. It's been a battle since he was deployed to Afghanistan.

ETA brand of cream is ButtPaste.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-09-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

There's a great foot soak for athletes food, it cured mine.

But I still powder my feet before putting on socks.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:46 PM

Urinating on and between my toes before a shower has always been the most successful method for me. If that doesn't work, I resort to some prescription strength triamcinolone that I got for a contact rash years ago.

But one thing which has never clearly worked for me are the store-bought topical creams.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Medical advice goes in IMHO. Moving.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
Urinating on and between my toes before a shower has always been the most successful method for me. If that doesn't work, I resort to some prescription strength triamcinolone that I got for a contact rash years ago.

But one thing which has never clearly worked for me are the store-bought topical creams.
Okay. No one else will say it. I will, eeeewwww!
Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 AM

Tried the vinegar soak, the Listerine soak, the Vicks Vapo-rub remedy, plus the various OTC treatments. Nada. Bupkis.

Finally, I got some prescription from a podiatrist, which for fun was accompanied by chronic diarrhea and liver issues. For six fucking months, one pill a day. Did I mention the chronic diarrhea?

Eventually, it slowly, finally worked.

You think peeing on your foot can kill off something that can stand up to all that?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I'd think vice versa?
I thought the same as you at first, but then I realized it's not about what you do with your hands. The point is to cover your disgusting, contagious feet with socks before you slide your underwear over them on the way to your crotch. For extra credit, you might consider washing your hands between putting your socks on and putting your underwear on.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:40 AM

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5...opical/details

You don't see this anymore, but it says you can buy online. This works!
Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I thought the same as you at first, but then I realized it's not about what you do with your hands. The point is to cover your disgusting, contagious feet with socks before you slide your underwear over them on the way to your crotch. For extra credit, you might consider washing your hands between putting your socks on and putting your underwear on.
Or, alternately, put your underwear on over your head.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man In Black View Post
So first of all, I have not seen my Dr. about this. I read that Athlete's foot can normally be taken care of with over the counter products.

I am a Boy Scout leader and early July was my troops week at summer camp. I have never worn any type of shoe or "flip flop" in the camp shower, and have never had a problem. But this year, the day after I came home from camp I noticed a red rash on the bottoms of my feet. I googled pictures of athlete's foot, and it looked like that was it. The next day I started using Lotrimin AF cream on my feet two to three times a day, using Great Value brand lysol spray on my shoes and on the tub after showers, and washing my feet in the tub with soap and water after work (I usually shower before bed) and drying my feet with a blow dryer. The rash quickly went away, but was replaced by flaky skin. (as a side note, for years I have had dry skin on my feet, but this was much, much worse) I looked at more pictures of athlete's foot, and that too looked like it. And through all this, my feet never itched or burned at all. The only indications of AF were visual.

When the first tube of Lotrimin AF cream ran out I replaced it with store brand that had the same ingredients.

After three weeks the flaky skin was still present. I then also began using Lotrimin AF powder morning, night and when I put on fresh socks through the day. And continuing to wash my feet after work, and using AF cream, and everything else.

So, almost three weeks ago, all signs of AF were gone. I set a date of this past Friday to be the last day of treatment. So, sunday night, no visual signs of AF, but I felt a very mild itching and very mild burning on my feet. And I do mean very mild. I almost think it might just be in my head. But, this morning I started treating my feet for AF again.

I am at a loss. If it keeps up, I guess i'll need to call my Dr.

If this is in the wrong forum, please move it. And I know that medical problems are best left to Doctors, but I figure Athlete's foot is so minor and so common that advice and be sought here.

Thank you for any ideas.
I had a bout with it in high school, Desenex powder eventually took care of it. Fungal infections are a pain in the dupa; IIRC antibiotics don't work since fungal cell structure is too similar to ours.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5...opical/details

You don't see this anymore, but it says you can buy online. This works!
The ingredient you are looking for is Tolnaftate. You can buy it at a lot of the usual places the sell a large variety of OTC drugs. Tinactin is a standard brand, but generics are cheaper.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:54 PM

I had an ex that used to bleach soak and wire brush it...I do not recommend this as a treatment, but he said it worked.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I had an ex that used to bleach soak and wire brush it...I do not recommend this as a treatment, but he said it worked.
Not on your feet!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I need to decide what added treatment (or treatments) I will try.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:28 PM

I found that soaking my feet in a mixture of warm water and apple cider vinegar 2-3 times a week not only cured my athlete's foot, but also got rid of toenail fungus.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:24 PM

If it's not burning or itching, it may not actually be athlete's foot, which would explain why you're not getting fully better treating it with athlete's foot cures. Contact dermatitis spurred by your feet not coping well with a shoe material or something on your socks like the wrong detergent causes redness and peeling skin between the toes too.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
If it's not burning or itching, it may not actually be athlete's foot, which would explain why you're not getting fully better treating it with athlete's foot cures. Contact dermatitis spurred by your feet not coping well with a shoe material or something on your socks like the wrong detergent causes redness and peeling skin between the toes too.
I think this may actually be the problem. Of course you have not been to see a doctor or nurse practitioner.
I remember the one time I knew I had athletes foot was whenever my feet got wet - in the shower - I felt burning.
I remember using something - maybe desenex otc - and it eventually went away.
I also completely moved away from any sort of cotton sock to synthetic.
That I believe has kept it from coming back.
And yes I do power my feet before i put on my socks.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
The point is to cover your disgusting, contagious feet with socks before you slide your underwear over them on the way to your crotch.
Yup, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Not on your feet!
And for sure not on your junk.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 AM

If you don't want to see a doctor, my advice would be to talk to your pharmacist about what the most recent medical treatment is. All over the counter options are not equal, treatments evolve and are new ones are released off prescription and made OTC every couple years. The newest version is typically most effective against the broadest range of fungi (there are several different fungi that we call "athlete's foot".)

Usually the lowest priced is the oldest, least effective medication and the highest priced is the most recent, most effective version, but check with the pharmacist. There's nothing wrong with starting with the cheapest option, but if that doesn't work then you should think about jumping right to the latest version.

Lastly, you should bear in mind that not all pharmacies stock a full rename of any OTC drug. There is a big chain pharma by me with a huge selection of options and a small independent that has three only.

I had a similar problem and struggled to get rid of it for over a year. I followed all the recommendations etc meticulously. I finally went to my doctor and he prescribed a pill. (Lamasil I think, but there are newer ones now). The AF was gone within days. I finished the course of treatment and haven't had another AF infection in 10 years.

As far as all the home remedies that "worked for me" go, I tried swinging a dead black cat counterclockwise around my head at the cemetery at midnight and many others. None worked, they're pretty much all bullshit and a waste of time and money. For those that say they "worked for me", you should bear in mind that about 40% of cases of AF go away on their own.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
As far as all the home remedies that "worked for me" go, I tried swinging a dead black cat counterclockwise around my head at the cemetery at midnight...
Well, no wonder. Counterclockwise is effective for lupus, and it's never lupus.

Last edited by Doctor Jackson; 09-11-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I have been wondering if it might not be athlete's foot also. My feet looked like the pictures of AF I found online (and I was using a camp shower bare foot), but from what I have read and seen in pictures, its appearance covers a wide range. I have worn the same synthetic socks for years. That hasn't changed. I have used the same brand of detergent for years also.

And I wasn't clear in my OP. I never had any symptoms between my toes. it was on the bottoms of my feet. But since it seems to have come back, I have not seen any of the signs on the bottoms of my feet, but did notice minor redness on the tops.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I ended up replying to part of this in my previous post. But here I will ask, is burning or itching always a sign of athlete's foot?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
Well, no wonder. Counterclockwise is effective for lupus, and it's never lupus.

Unless, it is.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Well that explains what happened to my lupus at any rate.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:37 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I see a LOT of self-diagnosed cases of "athlete's foot" that aren't. Atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, Palmoplantar pustulosis, dyshidrotic eczema, maceration, and more.

If anti-fungals don't fix it, try a topical steroid like hydrocortisone 1% OTC. If that doesn't work, see a doc.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I ended up replying to part of this in my previous post. But here I will ask, is burning or itching always a sign of athlete's foot?
No. An article I read looking up contact dermatitis said eczema between toes/on foot can itch too.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
No. An article I read looking up contact dermatitis said eczema between toes/on foot can itch too.
I worded it poorly. What I meant is, do all cases of athlete's foot itch and burn?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:03 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
I worded it poorly. What I meant is, do all cases of athlete's foot itch and burn?
No.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

In terms of home remedies for athlete's foot, I've used unfiltered solar radiation. No glass, plastic, etc between your skin and the sun, and no sunscreen on the infected areas, either. The theory is the fungus can't withstand the radiation as well as your body. Of course, you don't want to burn yourself, so limit the time. Anecdotally, I spread my toes in the sun for about 15 minutes a day for a week and it seemed to kill my infection.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Wash feet thoroughly, dry thoroughly then apply hydrocortisone cream which you can get from your local pharmacy.

Go bare foot as much as possible. I’m a geriatric Hca and hve seen many cases of athletes foot.
I get my patients to go bare foot as much as possible if they have A.Foot.

They think it’s odd at first going bare foot but soon grow to love it. Being bare footed is something I highly recommend.