Old 06-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What format is the video in? I have no objection to hosting videos, but I might put them in a separate video gallery.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
I had an idea today (that's worrisome already, I know)... Arnold, can you host snippets of video? I dug some old holiday videos out of the archives, and could send a 15- or 30-second clip.
I'd think, with the number of members we have, that would be liable to balloon up really quickly--both in terms of storage space and bandwidth.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Winkelried View Post
What format is the video in? I have no objection to hosting videos, but I might put them in a separate video gallery.
It's DV, straight off the tape.... but I have MPEG Streamclip and can transmogrify it to other formats: QuickTime, AVI, Ogg, Windows Media, MPEG-4, all sorts of things. What would be best?

Last edited by Sunspace; 06-03-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

A little experimentation... a random 13-second clip (640 x 480 pixels) exported to H.264 MPEG-4 format took up 15.1 megabytes. If we keep our clips short, it might work.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Thought:

If we want to start adding videos, why not create a YouTube account that Arnold would administrate? Then, he could just link to the YouTube videos from the gallery. Bandwidth and storage problems solved.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

That's an idea. My cheapo hosting plan I use for the site where the pictures are has 10GB of space and "unlimited Monthly Transfer Volume", but YouTube would obviously be better. I've never had a YouTube account, is there a way to post videos but disable comments? I wouldn't want to have to monitor the comments to remove spam or jerkishness.

Another issue is, how would people get the videos to me? They would be too big to e-mail.

Last edited by Arnold Winkelried; 06-03-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
If we want to start adding videos, why not create a YouTube account that Arnold would administrate? Then, he could just link to the YouTube videos from the gallery. Bandwidth and storage problems solved.
Great idea!
Quote:
That's an idea. My cheapo hosting plan I use for the site where the pictures are has 10GB of space and "unlimited Monthly Transfer Volume", but YouTube would obviously be better. I've never had a YouTube account, is there a way to post videos but disable comments? I wouldn't want to have to monitor the comments to remove spam or jerkishness.
Just checked my YouTube account (on which I have exactly two videos). Yes, comments can be disabled for each video. It's on the 'Info & Settings' page for the video.
Quote:
Another issue is, how would people get the videos to me? They would be too big to e-mail.
Does your hosting account have a "public disk" feature? You could give people temporary passwords to upload to it, then review and upload to YouTube from there.

If not, there are numerous "public file storage" services out there. Here's Apple's take on it. Here's another. And a review of ten such services.

Or you could enable FTP access to a directory on your server for people to send to, which is essentially the same thing, but in pre-Web clothes.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

YouTube's help pages. It looks like YouTube videos can be a maximum of 2 GB in size and 10 minutes long. Youtube supports a varierty of video formats:
Quote:
uning your video formats for Youtube

There are a wide range of video codec formats, audio codec formats and container formats in use and YouTube supports a very wide variety of them. You can get a quick overview of what may be an issue with your video's formatting by taking a look at the messages, warnings and error messages that we communicate to you while you're uploading your video.
Read on for more detailed information on video file formatting.

Here's the list of some well-known formats which YouTube supports:

* WebM files (Vp8 video codec and Vorbis Audio codec)
* .MPEG4, 3GPP and MOV files - (typically supporting h264 and mpeg4 video codecs and AAC audio codec)
* .AVI (Many cameras output this format - typically the video codec is MJPEG and audio is PCM)
* .MPEGPS (Typically supporting MPEG2 video codec and MP2 audio)
* .WMV
* .FLV (Adobe - FLV1 video codec, MP3 audio)
I'm trying to see whether you can create an account on YouTube and have multiple people contribute directly to it, other than just giving them all your password.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Difgging around on YouTube, it looks like they don't allow multiple users to upload to one account.

However, if people had their own accounts, they could upload videos to them and then bring them together in a Group.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Here's me.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Thought:

I think that's pretty much the standard way of adding videos to sites now. You can even embed the video into the page, change the color of the controls to match your site and everything.

Unless you are a commercial company that needs to control every aspect of the video, or need to provide a different experience, it makes more sense to use the most reliable video site that happens to be free.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 AM
SDSAB

A YouTube group is a great idea!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM

I agree. I've found from online dating that no-one looks exactly like their photos - videos are much better.

My YouTube screenname is 82eridani (not going to link because I don't want to browse there from work).
Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feppytweed View Post
Hello feppytweed, would you be willing to send me a photo for the gallery?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Does your hosting account have a "public disk" feature? You could give people temporary passwords to upload to it, then review and upload to YouTube from there.

If not, there are numerous "public file storage" services out there. Here's Apple's take on it. Here's another. And a review of ten such services.

Or you could enable FTP access to a directory on your server for people to send to, which is essentially the same thing, but in pre-Web clothes.
I doubt my cheapo hosting plan would allow me to enable FTP, and as far as I can tell, they don't have a "public disk" feature.
I know about the "public file storage" services, but I don't know of any that are free. I could use one of my .ME accounts for it, but I would prefer not to.

Hosting on YouTube seems better in several respects. Is anyone here volunteering to moderate a YouTube group? One of the problems with a YouTube group, if I understand it correctly, is that, if you want to submit a video for the SDMB but keep your identity secret (as much as you can), you would have to create another YouTube account (separate from your regular account - assuming you have one) just to join the YouTube group and post your SDMB video, which would discourage some people.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And where is your photo for the gallery, pray tell? You are flouting the rules of the gallery thread!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Well, I've uploaded a video. Here it is.dear Og

And there goes my privacy.

Last edited by Sunspace; 06-04-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hosting on YouTube seems better in several respects. Is anyone here volunteering to moderate a YouTube group? One of the problems with a YouTube group, if I understand it correctly, is that, if you want to submit a video for the SDMB but keep your identity secret (as much as you can), you would have to create another YouTube account (separate from your regular account - assuming you have one) just to join the YouTube group and post your SDMB video, which would discourage some people.
I'm looking over my profile. I'm not sure whether there's an option to enable an anonymous video. If you click the link, it goes to a page with all sorts of info. Yopu can embed the video in one of your own pages, a gallery page say, and if you click it, you'll go to the video's main page as if you followed the link. Can that be turned off? Let me check.

Embedding videos

Last edited by Sunspace; 06-04-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I think that unlisted videos might work. Link. You can link to them, but they "don't appear in any public page". I'm going to make mine (linked above) unlisted to see how it behaves.

:: edits settings ::

Nope. The video is unlisted, it still embeds fine... but when playing, a click on the video image still opens the video's page in another window/tab.

Last edited by Sunspace; 06-04-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

:: edits settings again ::

The video is now public.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Well, I've uploaded a video.
What's up with all the half nekkid men prancing around drinking beer?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyWt View Post
It's Finland. Whaddaya expect?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:

Quote:
It's Finland. Whaddaya expect?
Or Bangkok on a Tuesday afternoon.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM

:: quickly books vacation for Finland ::
Old 06-06-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
:: quickly books vacation for Finland ::
Not Bangkok? Hmm I wouldn't mind checking out all those Thai men....
Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

:: glances around at rapidly-forming female vacation plans ::

I knew I shouldn't have used a video portraying a distant continent...

Are we supposed to put in a link to the gallery on each page, or what?

Last edited by Sunspace; 06-06-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
:: glances around at rapidly-forming female vacation plans ::

I knew I shouldn't have used a video portraying a distant continent...

Are we supposed to put in a link to the gallery on each page, or what?
You forgot the red

/kicks sand
Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unintentionally Blank View Post
You forgot the red
I thought that would be overkill.

Last edited by Sunspace; 06-06-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM

Well, yeah. If I'd forgotten. it'd be Unintentional.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I know about the "public file storage" services, but I don't know of any that are free.
There are free sites for sending large files, such as YouSendIt, RapidShare, and MegaUpload.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are free sites for sending large files, such as YouSendIt, RapidShare, and MegaUpload.
Yes. There were the kind of sites I was thinking of, but I rarely use them, and didn't remember the names.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Added new photos to the gallery: Diane, feppytweed, InterestedObserver, Mauvaise, Max Torque, SlowMindThinking, WhyNot. Changes: fisha—added new main photo.

Keep on sending in those photos! Guidelines for submission are here. Short version: PM a link or e-mail the photo (or photos). For each photo, give me a date and a caption.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Shot From Guns. This week I'll look into combining that with a YouTube account for people who would want to send in videos. Of course, if someone else wants to step in and administer a video project, feel free!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

feppytweed’s grandpa is Fred Gwynne?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Max Torque has a cute kidlet
Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Added new photos to the gallery: Bayesian Empirimancer, drachillix, Mr. Duality, Paul in Qatar, TreacherousCretin.

Keep on sending in those photos! Guidelines for submission are here. Short version: PM a link or e-mail the photo (or photos). For each photo, give me a date and a caption.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM
SDSAB

Paul in Qatar, what a great picture! Are those your dogs? How many were there, anyway? I think I see four.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 PM

Happy Anniversary to the Cretins !
Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Added new photos to the gallery: Little Plastic Ninja, Oredigger77, Rain Soaked, rjk, Swallowed My Cellphone, Zyada.

Keep on sending in those photos! Guidelines for submission are here. Short version: PM a link to the photo (or photos) or send via e-mail. For each photo, give me a date and a caption. Make sure that the e-mail tells me who you are at the board.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Straight Dope Message Board Flickr group

By the way, did you all know that there is a Flickr group for Straight Dope Message Board members: SDMB meets Flickr. It is managed by Zyada and rjk. If you have a Flickr account and post pictures to your account, there’s a button on each picture that allows you to post a picture to a group’s pool. That’s all you have to do.

The group was announced in this thread in MPSIMS: Hey Flickerites!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM

Arnold, this is Juliana. I asked for my user name to be changed. How will you handle that in the gallery?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hi Juliana, thank you for letting me know. If I noticed a name change, but the poster hadn't made a public announcement, then I would just change the name in the galery.
In the case of people that do announce it publicly (like yourself, or Gary "Wombat" Robson) then I change the name in the gallery and also put a note in the change history. Your new name will appear at the next gallery update.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Added new photos to the gallery: Caprese, Coldfire. Changes: SoulFrost—added photo.

Keep on sending them in! Guidelines for submission are here. Short version: PM a link to the photo (or photos) or send via e-mail. For each photo, give me a date and a caption. Make sure that the e-mail tells me who you are at the board.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I still intend to send you new photos of me and the Mrs in Vietnam in April but just can't seem to get around to sorting that out. Now that I know I can send you links to photos online instead of sending them to you directly, that will probably make it easier for me.

Now I just have to upload them to the Web.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I am eagerly awaiting your new photos! They were taken more than two months ago, what's the holdup?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Three months by now! I'm a bad procrastinator. Promise to try to take care of it at the weekened.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Added new photos to the gallery: Caprese, Coldfire. Changes: SoulFrost—added photo.

Keep on sending them in! Guidelines for submission are here. Short version: PM a link to the photo (or photos) or send via e-mail. For each photo, give me a date and a caption. Make sure that the e-mail tells me who you are at the board.
BTW, Arnold: Do you have a preference for receiving actual photos by e-mail or a link to photo posted online?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Okay, Arnold: I just e-mailed you eight photos in two e-mails -- five in one, three in the other -- of us in Vietnam in April, from north to south. They should be labeled.

Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

No preference, in an e-mail or via a link are both good ways of getting the photos.
I got your e-mails, thanks a lot! Nice photos. Look for a reply to your e-mails sometime today.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Thanks agaim, Arnold, for all your good work.