Old 08-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Is Windows 10 Undergoing Changes in Fall 2019?

Is Windows 10 losing support and/or is there a Microsoft Windows push coming to update Windows 10 in the Fall 2019? I believe I have (Windows 10 Home). I have the following questions:

a) Presently, I am seeing pop-up messages encouraging me to click to accept something (some update and/or security push). I am not sure what I am accepting exactly. The pop-up claims I have until Nov 2019. Is this legit?

b) If I do nothing, assuming this push is legit, will this push be pushed down on me AUTOMATICALLY at some point? (In the past, this has killed my PC so I am hesitatant to accept.)

3) If I do nothing, I recognize I may not receive the latest security pushes to reduce/remove vulnerabilities. But, will Norton AntiVirus still be able to protect me?

4) What else should I know about this upcoming push if I accept it? ....don't accept it?

Last edited by Jinx; 08-11-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:52 PM

Yes, version 1803 goes end of life then. You should update through Windows update between now and then, if you're on that one.

You can find out by going to Start -> Run -> winver

Last edited by Palooka; 08-11-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
b) If I do nothing, assuming this push is legit, will this push be pushed down on me AUTOMATICALLY at some point? (In the past, this has killed my PC so I am hesitatant to accept.)
One of the big changes in the update from May is that it gives users more control over the feature updates (while still auto pushing the regular security patches). They are asking because that's part of their new model.

I had some annoying to fix issues with the SSD driver that the update recognized was an issue. This update also built a very extensive backup of the old system that took about 20 gigabytes. It then automatically asked if I wanted to delete it a day or two later when my system appeared to be stable with the update.

Microsoft seems to be working on addressing one of your big concerns. Ironically, they've created resistance to the update that fixes the behavior many people were upset about.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

I'm waiting to see how it goes with others.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What is the current version? I am currently on 1809.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
One of the big changes in the update from May is that it gives users more control over the feature updates (while still auto pushing the regular security patches). They are asking because that's part of their new model.

I had some annoying to fix issues with the SSD driver that the update recognized was an issue. This update also built a very extensive backup of the old system that took about 20 gigabytes. It then automatically asked if I wanted to delete it a day or two later when my system appeared to be stable with the update.

Microsoft seems to be working on addressing one of your big concerns. Ironically, they've created resistance to the update that fixes the behavior many people were upset about.
some people will be unhappy no matter what Microsoft does. I think some of them are just incorrigible control freaks who get mad that Microsoft would dare automatically update "their" Windows.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM

A lot of us have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude, and I do to a large extent. I don't like messing with working machines, it's time that could be much better spent on productive things. But everyone should at least install security patches, and I can see why MS wants everyone to be on the same patch level for ease of tech support.

FWIW I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home that wouldn't take no for an answer on the update and rebooted to install it without my permission. The install was not successful and I needed that machine to be on. Went through that twice in a week and rather than messing with trying to get the update to install I just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro with an old Windows 7 Pro key I had and configured it to stop bothering me for now. Maybe they will fix whatever my machine doesn't like in the next couple months.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Just a tip for readers, the version numbers for Windows 10 represent months and dates, and usually correspond to a month or two before the update is released to the general public. 1809 first released to the public early October 2018. 1903 first released May 2019. So when looking at a version number you can get a rough idea of how old it is.

Microsoft has been releasing these major updates twice a year, usually once in the Spring and once in the Fall. Well, 1507 and 1607 were early versions released in the Summer but those were outliers. Expect the next version of Windows 10 this Fall, probably October or November.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Nitpick:

It’s year and month, not month and date.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
A lot of us have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude,
except if security patches are needed, then it is "broke." and the patch is the fix.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
Nitpick:

It’s year and month, not month and date.
Yeah well that’s what happens when you write and revise your post on a phone multiple times before submitting. You’re going to screw something up. Or at least I am.

But it’s a thread on Microsoft patches so it seems appropriate...
Old 08-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
3) If I do nothing, I recognize I may not receive the latest security pushes to reduce/remove vulnerabilities. But, will Norton AntiVirus still be able to protect me?
You shouldn't count on anti-virus software to protect you, especially if your operating system isn't up to date. It wouldn't have protected you against WannaCry, for example.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
some people will be unhappy no matter what Microsoft does. I think some of them are just incorrigible control freaks who get mad that Microsoft would dare automatically update "their" Windows.
There is nothing control freaky about wanting to manage your own computer. Would you give KitchenAid the keys to your house so they could modify your refrigerator whenever they thought it needed it?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I did the update for my laptop and have had no problems. It took quite awhile for it to complete, so make sure you allow for that. It did hang up initially because it wanted me to update another program first, but no other issues.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
There is nothing control freaky about wanting to manage your own computer. Would you give KitchenAid the keys to your house so they could modify your refrigerator whenever they thought it needed it?
No, because a Kitchenaid malfunction won't leak my private information or lose my data.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:08 AM

I updated over the weekend; no ill effects so far. In fact I now have "early" access to a new version of the Snipping Tool, which I use frequently, so I'm happy.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
No, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Seriously, just update, it's rather unlikely to cause any issues.
BTW Windows Defender is actually better than most of the paid AntiVirus software on the market.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I updated over the weekend; no ill effects so far. In fact I now have "early" access to a new version of the Snipping Tool, which I use frequently, so I'm happy.
I updated yesterday. Other than having to do one more reboot to get Edge to work, there were no problems.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 PM

So I went to update in system settings, and it tells me "The update for version 1903 is on its way, but your machine is not yet ready to update. As soon as your machine is ready, the update will be available on this page. At the moment, you don't have to do anything."

What does it mean, my machine is not ready yet? What must happen before it is ready? Is the system waiting for some preparatory updates (of drivers maybe?) to happen before the big update to version 1903 is possible?
Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM

This article talks about the "your machine is not yet ready to update" error message, but it's pretty vague.

IMHO, the best thing to do with Windows is to say "yes" when it wants to do an update, but not actively seek update (i.e. don't click on "check for update"). That should be sufficient, and also, there were some reports a few months ago that said clicking on "check for update" sometimes downloads beta versions that aren't fully vetted.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
So I went to update in system settings, and it tells me "The update for version 1903 is on its way, but your machine is not yet ready to update. As soon as your machine is ready, the update will be available on this page. At the moment, you don't have to do anything."

What does it mean, my machine is not ready yet? What must happen before it is ready? Is the system waiting for some preparatory updates (of drivers maybe?) to happen before the big update to version 1903 is possible?
Does Windows Update list any other updates that need to be done? It may be that some previous update is necessary first.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
This article talks about the "your machine is not yet ready to update" error message, but it's pretty vague.

IMHO, the best thing to do with Windows is to say "yes" when it wants to do an update, but not actively seek update (i.e. don't click on "check for update"). That should be sufficient, and also, there were some reports a few months ago that said clicking on "check for update" sometimes downloads beta versions that aren't fully vetted.
Thanks. Seems like my machine has one of the unsolved issues or incompatibilities listed here by MS.

Quote:
Does Windows Update list any other updates that need to be done? It may be that some previous update is necessary first.
No, the update page shows "no current updates" or some such.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Have you tried unplugging it, then plugging it back in?
Old 08-13-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Have you tried unplugging it, then plugging it back in?
Yeah, but only after CTRL-ALT-DEl'ing and rebooting several times .

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 08-13-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I updated yesterday. Other than having to do one more reboot to get Edge to work, there were no problems.
I wish I could say that. Despite having nothing open when I okayed the update--the request came when I started to shut down--I still lost parts of all the documents I'd been working on that day.

Specifically, when I logged on today, I noticed none of those documents appeared on the desktop where I'd left them. I opened Word and from the list of 'recently worked on', chose each one in turn and opened it, then saved it to an existing folder, then dragged it from the folder to the desktop. On opening, I found each in the state it had been two days earlier. In other words, two days of work missing.

I looked online for information. Most pages advised opening the "windows.old" folder from File Explorer > Drive C. Nothing was in any of the document folders I reached via windows.old.

I have no idea if there was something I could have done to prevent this. I post in case it might help someone else, or in case it generates some advice that might be relevant.

It was certainly extremely annoying!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
You use the "Snipping Tool" frequently? Why not just print screen?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I use it to get exactly what portion of the screen I want, give it the name I want, and put it into the folder I want, and be able to copy it right out of the tool into a document. Why would I ever use print screen?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 PM

I have something weird .... windows has been trying to do a huge update about twice a month because my current version is going to lose support

and it gets to about 40-60 percent and then says "you do not have the required components and it undoes the update ......

anyone have a clue on what it wants or needs?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
What Exapno Mapcase said. I used Print Screen all of the time back in the day, when there were no better options. I love the Snipping Tool so much that I don't even use Snagit anymore.

(Snagit's main usefulness was being able to capture a scrolling window, but in previous versions of Windows that feature only ever worked in IE and now I can't get it to work in Edge. One of these days I'll uninstall it.)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
and it gets to about 40-60 percent and then says "you do not have the required components and it undoes the update ......
Try the windows update troubleshooter.
Quote:
Open Settings app using the keyboard shortcut Windows + I,
Click on update & security then troubleshooting
Then select windows update and Run The Troubleshooter. [
IIRC that didn't locate my driver issue. It did clean up some errors in the update process from the borked installation that potentially could have caused later issues when I retried.There was something like an advanced report hypertext on the message, like yours, with the failure that showed my actual issue.

Last edited by DinoR; 08-14-2019 at 04:25 PM.