Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
* Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins in the Hell In A Cell. This is a match they've been teasing since the Shield broke up, and I expect it to run away with the show. Ambrose is a world-class hardcore wrestler (just go on Youtube and look up some of his matches from CZW as Jon Moxley) and while I doubt anyone is going to get choke-slammed off the top of the cage or thrown face first into a pile of nails, this match is definitely going to get as hardcore as WWE's broadcast standards these days will allow.
I assume that "broadcast standards" are a little less strict on WWE Network than they are on TV.

Quote:
I suspect the long-term plan is to have Rusev become US champion at some point
While I can see something similar to the "Canadian takeover of WCW" (where the US title became the Canadian title and the Cruiserweight title became the 100kg title (and never mind that the weight limit was more like 98kg)), the question becomes, when it comes time for someone to beat Rusev, who would they get to do it for something other than the top belt? I don't see WWE putting the US title on Cena when he's so close to breaking Flair's world title reigns mark.

Quote:
Cesaro vs. Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental title, two out of three falls
I never liked WWE two-out-of-three-falls title matches, as they can never keep it straight as to what the rule is concerning title changes if the champions lose a fall by DQ or countout.

Quote:
* Big Show vs. Rusev. Easy call - Rusev either makes Big Show tap or pass out.
Or, they find some way to bring back the "break the ring" ending when Big Show wrestled Brock Lesnar.

Quote:
* Nikki Bella vs. Brie Bella, winner has to either quit WWE or become the loser's "bitch" for 30 days. Is this the worst feud of the year or what? Did Vince Russo book this? I don't even. Prediction: Nikki wins, gets a shot at the Divas title exactly 30 days later (which would be the right night for a Smackdown taping), and the time that Brie has to be Nikki's slave for runs out right in the middle of the match, allowing her to interfere and cost Nikki the title.
First, I assume the loser has to leave WWE or become the winner's "bitch", not the other way around.
Second, WWE pretends that SmackDown happens on Fridays, so the 30 days would be up "days" before the match.
Third, I have a feeling the title shot would be at Survivor Series, and Brie would "accidentally" interfere anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Daniel Bryan show up and get involved.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I assume that "broadcast standards" are a little less strict on WWE Network than they are on TV.
It's not so much a matter of what the network will allow as much as it's WWE's own self-censorship policies - most of the stuff that they did in the Attitude Era simply isn't allowed anymore because it's too dangerous to the wrestlers (coughCHRISBENOITwheeze) and because they're targeting a younger demographic these days that might be too frightened by the ol' ultraviolence. AFAIK, MITB is the only PPV that gets a TV-14 rating because there's a very real chance of wrestlers getting busted open.

Quote:
I assume the loser has to leave WWE or become the winner's "bitch", not the other way around.
Yes, that is what I meant to type. Stupid me.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
It's not so much a matter of what the network will allow as much as it's WWE's own self-censorship policies - most of the stuff that they did in the Attitude Era simply isn't allowed anymore because it's too dangerous to the wrestlers (coughCHRISBENOITwheeze) and because they're targeting a younger demographic these days that might be too frightened by the ol' ultraviolence. AFAIK, MITB is the only PPV that gets a TV-14 rating because there's a very real chance of wrestlers getting busted open.
Never watched the attitude era so you'll have to educate me, what did they do to Benoit that was so bad?

Or are you saying it because of how he ended his career/life?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Never watched the attitude era so you'll have to educate me, what did they do to Benoit that was so bad?

Or are you saying it because of how he ended his career/life?
Benoit had chronic traumatic encephalopathy as the result of taking so many blows to the head and working while concussed - according to the doctors that conducted his autopsy, he had the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient at the time of his death.

Or if you're really curious, you can always watch the Undertaker's HIAC match against Mick Foley, where Mick is first thrown from the top of the cage about 20 feet through the Spanish announce table, then gets slammed through the top of the cage and freefalls to the ring surface - which concussed him, dislocated his jaw and shoulder, broke bones, knocked several teeth loose (one of which ended up dribbling out of his nose), perforated his upper lip, and knocked him unconscious for 31 seconds, during which time the Undertaker believed Foley was in fact dead.

Look at Foley these days and you'll understand why they don't allow that kind of stuff anymore.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM

Your predictions seem valid Smapti, but WWE will throw in a wrench every once in a while to keep from being too predictable. In order for Orton to turn face, he has to lose face with the Authori-tie. That means he'll lose to Cena, but he won't be the center of their shit storm if Seth also loses. Ambrose is at the stage where it doesn't matter if he wins or loses. He'll still be massively over. So, I think Seth will win their match, and it will preserve their feud, which is what God wants. He really does. He told me.

Orton's turn would also create a power vacuum within the Authori-tie. Who would they get to take his place? Brrrrock is a lone wolf, Cesaro doesn't have the mike skills, Miz is a toad, Rusev is his own thing, so are the Dust bros, so are the Wyatts.

What would absolutely piss everybody off and create massive heat? A top-level face who's been away returns, suddenly turns on another top-level face, and joins the Auth. Daniel Bryan doesn't make sense, but Roman Reigns on the other hand...
Old 10-23-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
It's not so much a matter of what the network will allow as much as it's WWE's own self-censorship policies - most of the stuff that they did in the Attitude Era simply isn't allowed anymore because it's too dangerous to the wrestlers (coughCHRISBENOITwheeze) and because they're targeting a younger demographic these days that might be too frightened by the ol' ultraviolence.
In my opinion, the Attitude Era wasn't so much too dangerous to the wrestlers as it was too dangerous to Linda McMahon's Senate campaigns. However, 2014 is an "off-year" for Connecticut's two Senate seats.

And it's not so much the "younger demographic" that is "frightened by the ultraviolence" (which wasn't really "the problem with the Attitude Era" so much as the beer drinking and women degrading) as it is the younger demographic's parents who pay for the tickets and the merchandise.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:03 PM

The Attitude Era was mostly trashy skits with short, bad wrestling. There was the occasional bright spot, like the Hardy's or the APA segments (Use the door!) Other than that, today's product is superior in the ring.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post
The Attitude Era was mostly trashy skits with short, bad wrestling. There was the occasional bright spot, like the Hardy's or the APA segments (Use the door!) Other than that, today's product is superior in the ring.
True dat. I watched some of the 80's programs, like Saturday Night's Main Event on the Network, and they looked really tame and boring in comparison to today.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 AM

It's coming.....

.....my Hell in a Cell Picks that is =)

(also my reaction/results of NXT)

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 10-24-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 AM

NXT 10/23

Welp, I'm sure T-Cups is disappointed that his girl Bayley lost to Sasha Banks, then backstabbed by Becky Lynch, but there needed to be more NXT girl heels anyway.

Did I call it? Carmella is going to be Yoko Ono to Enzo and Cass! That hair sprayin' hussy!

I wonder if Tyler Breeze is turning face? He seemed to be more face-ish vs CJ "Save the natty dredlock whales" Parker, and Mojo Rawley's acting all stalkery on him.

The Hideo vs Ascension feud took a turn for the stupid when he came out by himself and attacked them. Yes, Ascension had to re-establish their ring cred after losing the belts, but Hideo looked more like a whiny puppy than super ninja assassin that strike like lightning.

Neville's matches need to have a better ending than having the heel run into his boots then LOOK EVERYBODY HERE COMES THE RED ARROW! When the heel falls to the mat, he usually shifts around to get in the proper prone position for Neville's finish. The Red Arrow looks impressive now, but its novelty will eventually fade. Who was it who used to do the 450 Splash and is now a jobber? That's right.

I would like to see Alex Riley become more of a egotistical heel than straddle the fence on commentary. He's got the upper crust preppie vibe, and Albert Tensai was setting him up for some heelish barbs, but Riley wouldn't take the bait. He seems to be more concerned about towing the line for WWE and not making waves.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:01 AM

You are pretty close actually, it does pain me deep inside when my girl loses, but if you need to turn heel, hitting a poor defeated defenseless Bayley is certainly the way to do it. From a personal investment (re: my love for Bayley) standpoint I hate it. From a storyline standpoint I liked it (although I did meet/talk to Becky before the house show I went to and she was quite nice)

I thought of you Knowed Out (omg...I literally just now realized your username is a play off "no doubt" ha..) during the Enzo/Cass segment because you did indeed call it. I hope that they DON'T kill that team because they are both Gold together, and I can't imagine they'd be very good apart.

I thought it was so so stupid for Itami to come out and do what he did. It didn't even establish anything! Ascension squashed some jobbers (two more guys I saw at the house show albeit apart) then beat up one guy. Who's supposed to look impressive here? The dominant team being nobodies? who then beat up one guy? The one guy who stupidly ran in to get his ass kicked? It's like they had him run out so that we didn't forget they were feuding. Itami shoudl have either cost the boys a victory, or The Ascension should have beating a REAL team (Enzo/Cass, Vaudevillians) to establish dominance again.

I can't imagine they're doign a face turn for Breeze. I think it just LOOKS that way because STAY HYPED was being a creepy stalker, and Breeze is pretty over with the fans. I mean, Breeze hurt the guy...what's more heel than that? (other than attacking my future wife Bayley)

Lastly, I'm gonna cuz Neville a little slack on his moveset and I think it's far from stale. Why everyone thinks he's stale right now is because he plays to his competition, and a failing Titus O'Neal isn't that. Remember how good the triple threat was with Tyson and Zayn? Once the Zayn rivalry hits, I think we'll be more impressed with his high-flying antics since the falls that lead up to them will look more organic.

Whew this was long...I still have a whole day to go today. I'll be back later this afternoon to do my HIAC picks (That will be SO much more accurate than others on this thread hehe)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I would like to see Alex Riley become more of a egotistical heel than straddle the fence on commentary. He's got the upper crust preppie vibe, and Albert Tensai was setting him up for some heelish barbs, but Riley wouldn't take the bait. He seems to be more concerned about towing the line for WWE and not making waves.
Kinda hard for Riley to be egotistical when like on the last PPV they were making jokes at his expense about how he has never held gold. ("I've held the Intercontinental Belt, how about you?" "Yes, I've held the IC title too. How about you, Alex? No? lol") If he was a repeat champion of some level, I might take his egotism seriously, but he's not.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Was last night's episode the first time they've had Byron Saxton as ring announcer? Because he's good. Howard Finkel good. Considering that Justin Roberts isn't with the company anymore, I can see him getting fast-tracked to announcing for the main roster if he's capable of delivering on a consistent basis like he did on this episode.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:12 PM

Saxon's been the ring announcer for house tours, so he's got the experience. I remember he was doing his part to get the audience to make noise.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
So, as of last night's Smackdown tapings, we have a fairly solid eight-match card booked, and that means it's time again for Smapti's Completely 100% Accurate* Match Predictions;

* Cena vs. Orton in the Hell In A Cell, winner gets a title shot against Brock Lesnar on a future PPV. I really don't see the need to have Cena and Orton fight again - this will, in fact, be the 22nd time they've had a singles match against each other on TV over the years, and their second HIAC showdown. Making this a #1 contenders match at least allows it to advance the storylines, though. I have a feeling Randy Orton is going to turn face soon and feud with Rollins, so having him lose here to take him out of the title picture makes sense, and sets the stage for Cena vs. Lesnar, Part 6.

* Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins in the Hell In A Cell. This is a match they've been teasing since the Shield broke up, and I expect it to run away with the show. Ambrose is a world-class hardcore wrestler (just go on Youtube and look up some of his matches from CZW as Jon Moxley) and while I doubt anyone is going to get choke-slammed off the top of the cage or thrown face first into a pile of nails, this match is definitely going to get as hardcore as WWE's broadcast standards these days will allow. As I've said before, Ambrose is basically in the position now that Daniel Bryan was last year where he's getting bigger pops than anyone and he's second only to Cena in who the company is putting over, so I expect him to win here.

* Sheamus vs. the Miz for the US title. Miz is one of my favorite heels right now, whereas Sheamus has been pretty directionless as US champion. I'd like to see him win, but I suspect the long-term plan is to have Rusev become US champion at some point, and Miz vs. Rusev wouldn't be a very viable program. Either Sheamus retains, or they do another Dusty switcheroo (which seems to be becoming Miz's thing) and have him win the belt on the PPV, then drop it back to Sheamus on Raw the next night.

* Cesaro vs. Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental title, two out of three falls. Best-of-threes matches have always been one of Cesaro's strong points - he had a great one with Miz last year during his US championship run, and he worked several with Sami Zayn in NXT which I haven't seen but have been told were classics. This should be another one of the best matches of the show. I'd like to see Cesaro win, but my fear here is that Cesaro has been in a position for awhile where he's more popular than WWE wants him to be, and every time he starts getting too popular they sabotage the character somehow (losing Paul Heyman, not being allowed to do the giant swing, that period last year where he became a yodeler, etc.) It could go either way, but I'm leaning towards Ziggler retaining.

* Big Show vs. Rusev. Easy call - Rusev either makes Big Show tap or pass out.

* Nikki Bella vs. Brie Bella, winner has to either quit WWE or become the loser's "bitch" for 30 days. Is this the worst feud of the year or what? Did Vince Russo book this? I don't even. Prediction: Nikki wins, gets a shot at the Divas title exactly 30 days later (which would be the right night for a Smackdown taping), and the time that Brie has to be Nikki's slave for runs out right in the middle of the match, allowing her to interfere and cost Nikki the title.

* Goldust and Stardust vs. the Usos for the tag titles. Should be a pretty solid match, though I don't expect anything we haven't seen before. Prediction; The Usos win the belts back just in time to have to put them on the line against Bray Wyatt's newest brothers in the name of cause, the Ascension.

* AJ Lee vs. Paige for the Divas title. This'll be their sixth showdown in six months, and though I think Paige is one of the better women wrestlers in the company, this feud is getting pretty old, and I can hardly tell whether she's supposed to be a face or a heel or what. As for AJ, WWE seems to be protecting her in the hopes of keeping a line of communication open with her husband (what was his name? BN Metal?) - in terms of statistics she's second only to the Fabulous Moolah in WWE history, but she's not that great a wrestler, her finisher is silly, and she looks and acts like she's in junior high and the Total Divas got to go to homecoming with John Cena instead of her. She'll likely retain, but I think her character needs to become more viscious and evil and less bubbly - ditch the theme song for, say, "Black Widow" by Iggy Azalea, and have her completely wrecking girls in the ring instead of getting into slapfights and having "frenemies".

I haven't heard about any pre-show matches being scheduled, but it'd be nice if they got an NXT match or two in - this could be a good place to show off Hideo Itami or Finn Balor to the larger fanbase and get them interested in watching NXT, or even to introduce Kevin Steen to WWE.

*Your definition of "completely 100% accurate may differ from that used by Smapti, his subsidiaries, and affiliated organizations

Me Vs. Smapti! Head-to-head! TO THE DEATH! (or just for bragging rites)

Cena/Orton In Hell In A Cell: I agree with my rival here for basically the same reasons. I think there is going to be a split in The Authority, and both Rollins and RKO are going to split off and face each other. Leaving the Authority as Trips, Steph, Kane, Nikki, and someone new they'll adopt who I can only hope and pray is Reigns. Cena wins to send him Brrrrrrrrrock's way and RKO goes on to face Rollins. Also gonna say Rollins interferes in this.

Ambrose/Rollins in Hell in a Cell: This is gonna be a barnburner. Ambrose wins, RKO and maybe even the whole Authority interfere and really all hell is gonna break loose. Someone is jumping from the top of the cell. Count it.

Sheamus/Miz for the US title: This is gonna be a good match because of one Damien Mizdow. Look for Mizdow to get in the match in some form or fashion, pin Sheamus, and win the title for himself/Miz. Then he's gonna wanna keep it, and we have a new Rivalry.

Cesaro/Ziggler for the IC title: This is going to be a fun match that has a pretty dumb gimmick. This is a two-out-of-three falls match. Which means it's a someone gets a pin, the other gets a pin, and then the match actually starts. The only way I can maybe see this NOT happening is if they stick this in the middle of the card for time. Need less time? Boom two in a row. Need more time? Use all three. Unfortunately for Zigs/IWC, I think he loses

Big Show/Rusev: A winner for Rusev (bru ha-ha). I don't know when he's going to lose, but I think it won't be for a while although...DISSENTING OPINION ALERT...I think it should be soon. His gimmick is getting stale to me because he's doing the same thing every week and his motivation is lacking now. Lose it to Show? Doubt it (although I wouldn't hate it) I don't know who he would lose it to though at this rate it's probably gonna be Reigns

Bella vs. Bella: Obvious winner is Nikki because there is no way that Brie is in her character to be mean enough to have this "sister-is-my-bitch" thing. I think this will be a clean finish and will have oh so many repercussions (re: total divas BS)

Cosmic Weirdos vs Usos: Really...I just don't care. I love Goldy, and Stardust is fun, but I miss "The Brotherhood" honestly and I don't like the guys as heels. The Usos are fine for who they are, and I know that this is really match due to lack of anyone else. But I want to know why? Why kill Rybaxel? (who actually looked good for a bit) Why kill the Wyatts? So for sake of storyline I saw the Brothers win and retain.

Paige vs Aj: I don't care about this one really either because right now this feud is Cena/Orton with boobs. These girls are feuding a lot, they keep trading the belts, this match won't be the end of their feud so I'm not putting much credence in the end. I say AJ wins because she's a bit more over now. I'll chalk this up to another lack of talent. They have two divas divisions now that they have the "Total Divas" division and the "Champions" division, and apparently want to keep them separate.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sheamus/Miz for the US title: This is gonna be a good match because of one Damien Mizdow. Look for Mizdow to get in the match in some form or fashion, pin Sheamus, and win the title for himself/Miz. Then he's gonna wanna keep it, and we have a new Rivalry.
That is a possibility I had not considered. The idea of Sandow stealing the pin and proclaiming himself the new US Champion is both absolutely hilarious and completely in character for him, and it would definitely make for an interesting feud if he and Miz continued dressing the same and using the same moves.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
That is a possibility I had not considered. The idea of Sandow stealing the pin and proclaiming himself the new US Champion is both absolutely hilarious and completely in character for him, and it would definitely make for an interesting feud if he and Miz continued dressing the same and using the same moves.
Then you need each guy to have feuds with other also-rans/midcarders (Bo Dallas, Big E etc.) and they go to each other's respective feuds because they think it's THEIR feud.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 PM

I dunno, I don't see Ambrose winning just yet. Shenanigans will happen somehow. It's like someone said in one of those WWE Network shows I was watching about some of the 80's and 90's stuff. You wait until everyone is demanding that the face win, then you wait some more. That way it really means something when it finally happens. That's pretty much what they did with DBD, even when it went way too long and pissed everyone off.

We get Survivor Series next, then TLC. I see that feud continuing through those events.

Yes, even if that means more stupidity on RAW.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I dunno, I don't see Ambrose winning just yet. Shenanigans will happen somehow. It's like someone said in one of those WWE Network shows I was watching about some of the 80's and 90's stuff. You wait until everyone is demanding that the face win, then you wait some more. That way it really means something when it finally happens. That's pretty much what they did with DBD, even when it went way too long and pissed everyone off.

We get Survivor Series next, then TLC. I see that feud continuing through those events.

Yes, even if that means more stupidity on RAW.
Daniel Bryan wasn't genius booking by WWE, they legitimately thought that he couldn't carry the torch and it was really only after Punk left that they realized they had nothing there and had to do something.

Here's an interesting take on DB that I personally realized a couple weeks ago. DB has been gone from TV for a while, and I really just do not miss him. I loved him at the time and was rooting for him, but I don't see that much of a gap now that he's gone.

Punk on the other hand? I miss him. I had berry berry little time with Punk before he quit, but I think that he really is needed now and that the Authority/Vince was right with DB. He wasn't fit enough to carry the load
Old 10-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Daniel Bryan wasn't genius booking by WWE, they legitimately thought that he couldn't carry the torch and it was really only after Punk left that they realized they had nothing there and had to do something.
It wasn't even that, so much as it was that their attempting to put Batista over as a face completely and utterly failed. He was supposed to be the returning hero who won the Royal Rumble and took the belt back from Orton and the Authority, but the crowd utterly refused to accept him after he basically waltzed in and got handed the victory over Punk and Reigns (and Bryan who didn't even appear in the match), and his acting like a total douchebag to the crowd after the cameras went dead and on social media afterward didn't help.

With Punk gone, and Batista flailing to the point that Alberto Del Rio got the biggest pop of his career for giving him a chairshot at Elimination Chamber, they had no choice but to go with Plan C.

Last edited by Smapti; 10-24-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Kinda hard for Riley to be egotistical when like on the last PPV they were making jokes at his expense about how he has never held gold. ("I've held the Intercontinental Belt, how about you?" "Yes, I've held the IC title too. How about you, Alex? No? lol") If he was a repeat champion of some level, I might take his egotism seriously, but he's not.
His wrestling career only lasted 5 minutes, so he doesn't have that kind of cred anyway. I'm thinking he's got the looks and the personality to pull off being an arrogant and annoying know-it-all commentator, kind of like Maggle Cole when he was a heel announcer, but less whiny.

I think he and Matt Bloom would be perfect foils for each other. Bloom would crack one of his corny jokes, and Riley would tell him "Oh my god, shut up you stupid fat disgusting pig!" But, I'm just an armchair booker.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Ok, watched Smackdown for the first time in a while. Never get to see much of RAW because I game that night. First shot at a review;

Ambrose cut a good promo, and I like the Dean Ambrose/Anarchy symbol. Don't need to change it as he switches between face and heel. Rollins was ok. Standard "it was all ME!!!" promo telling the story of the villain who pretended to be a brother to get what he wanted before stabbing the hero in the back. They are actually telling a story, so I give WWE credit for that, I just wish the mid-card had more stories.

While the original plan with Damien Mizdow was probably to help Miz gain heel heat, as JBL said, Mizdow is overshadowing Miz and getting over with the audience. If this isn't leading to a Sandow face turn and feud with Miz, then Vince is senile.

Ok, the Bo Dallas promo with the Dust brothers worked for me.

And I missed AJ's face turn somewhere. Decent enough match with AJ selling until the sudden face victory finish.

I like the Bray Wyatt clip. He really does benefit from being away and the tweak to his character. Always an awesome character, but feuding with Cena and Jericho did him no favors and the promos were getting monotonous. They damn well better put him on the winning side of a couple of feuds in a row leading to some kind of gold. Imagine him holding the IC or US title for upwards of a year, defeating all comers with mind games and trickery. It would mean something when someone took it away from him, and those belts need that. You can't do that with a year long Kofi Kingston or even Shaemus run. I think you could do it with Bray. Oh hell, give him both belts if you intend to unify them (maybe a couple of months apart), and let him hold them separately until the face finally takes them away, when you go to the single belt.

Big Show soldier promo. Ugh. I like Show, but this story is crap and that went on too long. I switched over to X-Men: First Class.

Wait, roughly a minute into the match and that generic announcer guy is saying Ziggler can't put Cesaro away? WTF? Dumber in hindsight when the match was given 10 minutes. Anyway, it was a good match and I'm glad both guys are wrestling for gold, even if there isn't a lot of story to it.

Last edited by Chimera; 10-24-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 PM

All those awesome female wrestlers and we get the Divas. Natty, Charlotte, Paige, Emma, Baylee, AJ... Ok, I guess we did get the AJ/Paige story earlier tonight, but any other company could build an entire division on those six women and never look back.

Bo Dallas gets his fourth win over Mark Henry. Pretty good of him to be putting Bo over. Wish I could trust it was leading somewhere.

Two out of three falls for Cesaro-Ziggler at the PPV. Only if they give that enough time.

Rollins promo was ok for what it was, but way too slow paced. Unexpected Ambrose was expected. You know, if they just let Ambrose be Ambrose and not try to make him be Piper or Austin, he can end up as iconic as those two. But any way, Holy Fuck are they putting over Ambrose, and that is a good thing.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
All those awesome female wrestlers and we get the Divas. Natty, Charlotte, Paige, Emma, Baylee, AJ...
Great news! Paige is joining Total Divas. So is Alicia Fox! Isn't that great?

Quote:
Neville's matches need to have a better ending than having the heel run into his boots then LOOK EVERYBODY HERE COMES THE RED ARROW! When the heel falls to the mat, he usually shifts around to get in the proper prone position for Neville's finish. The Red Arrow looks impressive now, but its novelty will eventually fade. Who was it who used to do the 450 Splash and is now a jobber? That's right.
You've got to cut Neville some slack on this one--man was wrestling Titus O'Neill. I know great wrestlers can often get good matches out of shite opposition, but I don't think you can hold it against a guy when he can't. Anyway, that feud's blown off (I hope) and we're moving on.

Last edited by LawMonkey; 10-24-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 PM

Geez, if you're only just noticing now that the fallen guy shifts to be in the right position to take the move...
Old 10-25-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Geez, if you're only just noticing now that the fallen guy shifts to be in the right position to take the move...
Where did I say that?

And yes, I know it's fake.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Big Show soldier promo. Ugh. I like Show, but this story is crap and that went on too long. I switched over to X-Men: First Class.
Argh, that was painful to watch. Just because Big Show appeared in a couple other shows and a straight-to-DVD doesn't mean he should be allowed to act.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:09 PM

No spoilers til later on tomorrow (in case network users wanna catch up) but for those of us who saw.

I dunno guys...not liking this direction
Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
No spoilers til later on tomorrow (in case network users wanna catch up) but for those of us who saw.

I dunno guys...not liking this direction
B-/C+ PPV in general. Going forward, depends entirely on where they take things.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:10 AM

I liked most of it, but hated the ending. Beyond his creepy videos, I don't care for that character. All I care about is matches, and none of his have impressed me.

The Main Event reminded me of the first HIAC. The fall from the side, the monster ruining the finish, etc.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:56 AM

/lana: You seely Americans. You are so frightened of Ebola and ISIS... we do not have Ebola and ISIS in Russia. We shoot down their planes before they cross the border.

I didn't give a shit about BS vs Rusev, Sheamus vs Miz & Dow, or the Bellas. I liked Zig vs Cesaro, Cena vs Orton, and Rollins vs Ambrose. I like Paige and AJ, but the feud is getting stale. Usos vs the Dust bros isn't as intense as Usos vs Wyatts. It's just OK. I'm sick of Big Show and Mark Henry, and it looks like they're going to have a slug feud. Slug as in lazy slimy slow-moving creatures, not slug as in hits and punches.

I really do want Rollins and Ambrose to feud for all eternity, but Ambrose vs the Wyatts will do in the meantime. Bray said in an interview a while back that his favorite opponent was Ambrose, because they're both crazy. It seemed like the bookers were trying to create Mankind vs Undertaker Lite with the fall and stretchers, while making sure nobody would spit teeth through their noses.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 AM

I'm a happy network subscriber, so the cost doesn't mean all that much to me. But I feel for the people who actually paid pay-per-view prices for this event. This wasn't an event, this was a decent RAW. It wasn't even a good RAW, just a decent one.

Zigs look strong. Like, really really strong. He took a ton of bumps in that match AND swept the board? I don't know if the WWE is still in appeasing mode for the universe with him, but he certainly looked hella strong.

I literally could not care less about any of the in-between matches. I hate hate hate Rusev, and no it's not just good-old-fashioned heat. It's so boring. He's sooooo goddamned boring. Every Rusev match ever:

Lana: blah blah Russia blah blah. Anti-America blah. Shut up blah!

(Random superstar): blah bah america! blah blah america! blah blah america

Bell rings

They fight. Rusev falls down! Near fall....Accolade! Superstar kicks out...Some other random submission move! Rusev counters....accolade...tap...finish.

They really really really need something else for him to do. He's totally my bathroom break/get a snack match

RKO/Cena was pretty neat. Regular old Cage/TLC match though. Turning an AA into an RKO was really really, and I don't know what the announcers were looking at at the time, but they barely mentioned it.

Ok, Rollins/Ambrose. The pacing of this match suuuuucccckkkkkeeedddd. Ambrose comes out and goes to the top of the cell and we are excited and cheering! The Rollins comes out and says he's gonna go up! So we are excited and cheering! Then there is 5 minutes of banter with the 2 security guys and my mood is shot. Fast forward to their climb down from the cell where they were right above our announce table! Look at them fight, right above our announce table! They're each above an announce table! (show a camera angle of everyone clearing the tables) they're still going at it! Above our....ok you see where I'm going.

Then they fall on the tables, which was cool but I wasn't impressed at all because...duh. Then another 10 goddamn minutes of "they're hurt/stretchers/blah". Then back in the cell, regular old cell/TLC match, then the ending.

As soon as the screen went black I knew. I knew who it was, I knew what would happen, I knew who he was going to hit...I just knew. Props to them for the cool smoke/hologram thing, but what a letdown ending. Have we seen Bray in a TLC match? Can he(or is he willing) to take those bumps? Hopefully he is because the extreme part is what makes Ambrose/Rollins so cool.

Overall I give this a C, and I would hate to have spend REAL money on this.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 AM

A few thoughts...

I would have liked the main event better, had it not been for the fact that:
(a) you could tell that there would be something happening on top of the cage by the fact that there were conveniently placed (and sized) holes on two sides...or are those a permanent part of the cage? (I just found it coincidental that they had them on two sides, and two people climbed up from opposite sides at the start;
(b) they teased carting the wrestlers off for too long - it was obvious that there would be a match;
(c) Bray Wyatt must be more powerful than we thought - he not only turned out all of the lights in the arena, but he turned off all of the cellphones as well (or at least, that's how it appeared on TV) until the lantern went on, at which time the cellphones and their flashlight apps mysteriously turned on simultaneously, only to all turn off again when the lantern went out.

Two things surprised me. First, a 2-out-of-3-falls match was won by the champion in 2 falls (the only time I remember a 2-out-of-3 title match ending in 2 falls was in the pre-Raw days when Barry Windham and However IRS Spells His Last Name This Week were the challengers and won two straight, but then Jesse Ventura conveniently reminded us that the first fall was a DQ, so the title would not change hands. Second, a referee remembered that if somebody reaches the ropes in a no-DQ match, you don't bother counting as it's no-DQ.

Okay, three things - I was half-expecting Big Show to tease a victory against Rusev, only for Mark Henry to cost him the match somehow.

Oh, joy, Brock has to defend the title against Cena again. If I was booking, I'd give serious thought to having them pretty much beat each other to a pulp outside the ring, resulting in a double countout..."Ladies and Gentlemen, Seth Rollins is cashing in Money In The Bank!" Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Cena wins somehow (probably with Lesnar being attacked behind everybody's back - it's too early to have Cena get a clean win over him), so he can bring the belt to Tribute To The Troops.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 PM

Also in the unpopular opinion world: I would much prefer having a Cena champion than a Reigns one.

This is mostly spoken about Cena, but honestly the best thing for reigns is to come back as a heel.

He already looks like one, he needs a damn personality.

By the time he comes back, Rollins might be kicked out the Authority via RKO, have Reigns come back and turn on Ambrose just as Rollins did, join the Authority as their muscle (goodbye Kane) and then go from there
Old 10-27-2014, 03:59 PM

The cage has had holes to climb it for several years now. I wish they would go back to the short cage that HBK and Foley used. In one of Jericho's books, he was getting ready for a HIAC match and was thinking of jumping from it until he saw that it was the new really tall cage. He changed his mind.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, Rollins/Ambrose. The pacing of this match suuuuucccckkkkkeeedddd.
Rollins' promos are way too slow, and he draws things out too much. It was completely obvious where they were going with things and yet they stalled and stalled before they happened. Overall I wasn't happy with the match because while there were a few seconds of ring work, there were minutes of wandering around staring at each other.

And yeah, four men walking around on the top of the cage is a dangerous situation and of course they were all trying not to be killed.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:03 AM

/lana: Drazir, drazir. You seely Americans. Your elections are coming up, and you fight and squabble over candidates who are weak and corrupt. In Russia, it's very simple. No matter who's running, vote for VLAH duh meer POO tin!

No Lana and Rusev on RAW to gloat about their victory? Are they dropping the angle that soon, or pushing it to Smackdown?

About time Zig is getting a push, even if it is to be Cena's lackey. Unless Brrrock is the Authority's team captain, looks like he'll be sitting out another PPV. He really is getting paid big bucks to not do jack shit.

Yawn, Henry turned heel again. Go father another hand.

I'm liking Paige more and more. I like it when she joins commentary, goes all bipolar on the announcers, and makes them feel uncomfortable. She comes from a wrestling family and debuted when she was 13, so she grew up in the business.

It'd be funny if Ambrose's actions leads to microphones being banned from the ring. THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP! Now we know what the inside of Cesaro's head sounds like.

Cena vs Rollins: Excellent match! One thing I've always liked about Rollins is his ability to counter his opponent's signature moves. Some wrestlers are supposedly very possessive about their sigs and don't like it when others copy them. It comes as a surprise (to me at least) when it's not only countered, but made to look completely ineffective. Rollins made up for it by selling Cena's last AA like he had been shot out of a cannon. Usually, the opponent just flops over when Cena throws him, but Rollins flew over.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
About time Zig is getting a push, even if it is to be Cena's lackey. Unless Brrrock is the Authority's team captain, looks like he'll be sitting out another PPV. He really is getting paid big bucks to not do jack shit.
Rumor has it Lesnar won't be back until the Royal Rumble, which gives them time to do Cena vs. Rusev at TLC in the meanwhile.

If I were going to predict the lineup for the Survivor Series match, I'd say Cena/Ziggler/Orton/Usos vs. Trips/Kane/Rollins/Noble/Mercury, but a lot depends on how long they want to play out Orton/Rollins before one of them turns on the Authority - Orton could end up on the Authority team instead, in which case, they could round out the face team with, say, Ryback, or Roman Reigns if he's ready for a return by then.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:18 PM

Brock is paid per appearance, so he's not really being paid to sit out. That being said, the only thing I can think at this time is that DBD returns and says;

"I was out with an injury for a couple of months and you stripped me of the title. Brock Lesnar wins the title and goes home for a couple of months - and you're fine with that! So how about this. The guy who never lost the title... versus the guy who never defends the title."
Old 10-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Well, except for the whole epic "John Cena overcomes the odds, buries half the locker room and rises back... to where he's always been" thing.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:44 PM

I think Hell In a Cell was pretty weak to be honest. I actually like both Big Show and Rusev, which is a minority opinion, but Show actually has really good athleticism and in ring ability for a guy of his size and I think is always entertaining in the upper mid card. To be honest Henry is too, and he's far worse in the ring. There's a place in wrestling that wouldn't be filled without really bad nonsense like fathering a hand or Sexual Chocolate.

I don't see that Rusev has main event level in him, though. I think he's good in the ring but the whole gimmick just doesn't translate to anything consistent in the ME. He's almost like a 1980s era traveling heel, who only works because he leaves the territory for awhile and pisses fans off in another region for some years and then comes back. WWE can milk a lot of cheap heat off of him but will have to find a way to rotate him out some to keep it fresh.

I like Bray Wyatt in the ring but his character has gotten really stale and boring. I know they were trying to recreate an Undertaker like villain, but it's just not working. I want to see the guy stay around due to being an impressive 300 pounder but I'm not sure what direction creative should go with him--just a different one.

Cena being the #1 contender leaves me confused as to what WWE's direction is. The sensible thing is to use Brock against guys other than Cena because he is paid per appearance and it's almost like it's a waste for all of them to be against the same guy. With Cena already booked to lead a team at Survivor Series obviously Brock won't be defending the title there (I doubt the Royal Rumble rumors, though.)

Ziggler beating Cesaro clean and in convincing fashion suggests to me they may be toying with the idea of pushing Ziggler into the "non-Cena" main event face category, where he'd basically join Ambrose. There's usually 3-4 guys at that rung so it would make sense they are trying to establish someone else up there. There's been a lot of attrition of top faces to injury and leaving the company in the past two years.

I agree on the comments that Bryan probably didn't have it in him to carry the company. To be honest I'm not sure how Cena does it, I think the WWE schedule is so deleterious to most people's health very few people can handle it for years and years. Some of the rumored plans for "rotational" schedules with programmed in down time would probably have resulted in a lot of guys we don't have around anymore being healthy enough to have continued wrestling for years.

To be honest knowing that many athletes use PEDs to help stave off and prevent injury I suspect the heavy steroid/etc use Cena almost certainly is involved in may be the only reason he can go like he does. A lot of the other big names I can think of who carried the torch for years and years (Hogan being one of them) were heavily using numbing agents and roids all the time, and I suspect since Cena probably is tacitly exempt from the testing most of the other superstars are subject to that may explain why he's been so injury free for like ten years.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

So, did anyone else watch the series premiere of Lucha Underground?

The biggest thing that struck me was the degree to which they seem to be trying to be the anti-WWE. Whereas WWE shows try to maintain a live-to-tape, unfinished product, this show is produced to much more note-perfect degree than WWE is, which is no doubt assisted by the fact that this show is filmed well in advance of its air date. In contrast to the hard cam, mobile cam, and 1-2 handheld cams that WWE uses, there are cameras everywhere in "the Temple" (which as far as I can tell is an old warehouse somewhere south of downtown LA), which the producers have meticulously picked over to pick the best shots for any given moment in the match. The rooftop cam is particularly innovative and I'd love to see WWE use it in the future.

The promo segments were likewise excellently produced; Rodriguez and co. here seem to be reveling in the idea that the sport is worked, rather than trying to shy away from admitting it. The sketch with Dario Cueto and Konnan felt like it could have been cut straight from Quentin Tarantino's filmography.

Likewise, the commentary team of Matt Striker (who was part of WWE's B-commentary team until a few months ago) and Vampiro (who I best remember from '90s WCW) seem to be making an effort to be the exact opposites of WWE commentary; they spend much more time talking about the wrestlers themselves than anything else, and they openly acknowledge the existence of the outside wrestling universe, with Striker going so far as to tell the audience to go on the internet and look up the stuff the competitors have done.

Hell, they even did an intergender match, which is absolutely taboo in WWE these days.

The biggest difference I noticed between this show and WWE/ROH stuff is this; they put on three matches in the show, and none of them were interrupted by commercials. WWE has long relied on commercial breaks as a crutch to have a match turn from face to heel advantage while leaving out the in-between that only the live crowd gets to see, and I really enjoyed getting to see the whole uninterrupted matches here.

To an extent, they're adhering to the classic WWE-established character tropes so far, with Dario Cueto as the corrupt billionare heel promoter, Prince Puma as the superman babyface, Konnan as the rebel anti-hero, and the as-yet-unnamed goon squad that attacked both Puma and Johnny Mundo (i.e. John Morrison) at the end of the show as Cueto's henchmen, but it was done well enough that I want to see where they're going with this.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 AM

Totally slipped my mind. Wednesdays, 8pm, El Ray Network, TWC channel 145 in my area. Maybe OnDemand has it.

Glad to hear Morrison's found work again. I don't believe I've ever heard Vampiro talk.

It's not endless high spots is it? That's what turned me off from lucha libre in the past. It just seemed like they all took turns jumping from the top turnbuckle and landing on each other.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's not endless high spots is it? That's what turned me off from lucha libre in the past. It just seemed like they all took turns jumping from the top turnbuckle and landing on each other.
It was there, but it wasn't everything. There were only three matches on this week's show, but it was a pretty good mix of styles. There was a pretty good amount of matwork and grappling in the Blue Demon vs. Chavo Guerrero match.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:03 PM

Not a spectacular episode of NXT, but not the worst either--and a bad episode of NXT will usually beat out most episodes of main roster product. But there's only so much you can do when your main event is a singles match featuring Titus O'Neill.

I liked the tag team battle royal--kind of a neat match setup, with either man being eliminated eliminating the team. If you wanted to, you could use it to start a team breaking up, or else just so a little dissension in the ranks to create drama--not that they actually did any of that, but it's a handy thing to have in the toolbox. Nifty spot with the double-double elimination, too. No surprise to see the VVs sliding into that #1 contender slot; I wouldn't be surprised to see them take it soon enough. We've been saying it for months, but the main roster is in dire need of tag teams and the Lucha Dragons are plenty ready, IMO. Mind you, I think Sin Cara is a bit of dead weight on Kalisto, who is set to step right into Rey's shoes, but all in good time, I guess.

Bull Dempsey continues to exist, and continues to get pushed for some reason. On the bright side, a) he isn't working his gimmick from the indies (look it up) and b) he beat the shit out of Mojo Rawley. Seriously, though, there's just not a lot to like about this guy, IMO. I'm all for seeing different body types and stuff, but the combination of his build and the singlet... eeeesh. His finisher's a joke too. I've decided I hope they feed him to Baron Corbin....

...who gave us the chant of the night, with the Full Sail crowd counting out the time before he hit the End of Days and got the 1-2-3. This guy is like the opposite of Bull for me; I just love him. Still a little concerned that we haven't seen more out of him, but remaining optimistic.

Poor Emma jobs again, and apparently jobbed on Superstars as well. I was happy to see our favorite kangaroo back in the ring (I may or may not have been doing the Emma dance here in my chair), but man, I'd like to see her get out of the doghouse. Meanwhile, Carmella... is she supposed to be a face? I assume she is, because she's associated w/ Enzo and Big Cass, but man, that promo was pretty heelish, as was the ring-work. It's confusing.

I'm gonna come out and admit it: I am liking bald, demonic Marcus Louis. Dude's scary lookin'. Not quite sure where he slots into things once he's done beating the crap out of Sylvester LeFort. Oh, and we had another chant of the night candidate here, with "Oui! Oui! Oui!" Enjoyed this match--Marcus Louis chewing the scenery gave it some decent psychology to put it over as just a vicious ass-kicking.

As for the main event of the evening... even the great Sami Zayn cannot get a great match out of Titus O'Neill, but at least the man is off of NXT now; we can all thank Sami for that. And next week we've got Sami and Tyler locking up, which should be great. Charlotte's teaming with Bayley! And Hideo is going to recruit some help dealing w/ the Ascension (instead of continuing to be stupid by going up against them 1 on 2). Hmmm, I wonder who he might find to lend him a hand...
Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Totally slipped my mind. Wednesdays, 8pm, El Ray Network, TWC channel 145 in my area. Maybe OnDemand has it.

Glad to hear Morrison's found work again. I don't believe I've ever heard Vampiro talk.

Yeah, this has always been my problem with the Mexican wrestling I've seen, just endless nonsense high flying moves. I honestly never gave a second thought to watching this because my assumption was it was just going to be an entire card like that.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM

NXT 10/30 had one of the slackest Battle Royals I've ever seen. There were about a dozen instances of one guy grabbing another behind the head and pushing him towards the ropes, then turning around and acting like he thought he successfully threw the guy over.

Martin: Carmella's the Yoko Ono to Enzo & Cass, so she's the heel burden to the faces. I'm pretty sure this angle's been done before, but I can't think of an example offhand. She's definitely got the attitude for the business, but her work needs a little polish.

Bull Dempsey looks like a big toddler. He's got an oversized head and baby shoulders. Put him in a jumpsuit or something so I won't feel like I'm watching child porn.

Undertaker's now a consultant for NXT. I'm sure he's mentoring Baron Corbin. BC's definitely got the look and and the presence, and while the squashes are fun (for now), he needs to progress to longer matches. I'm sure he'll be doing UT's revenant hair toss before long.

Titus can now go back to the main roster and team with Slater and Hornswoggle to take on El Torito and the Bunny... hmmmm... he may want to rethink that.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
Yeah, this has always been my problem with the Mexican wrestling I've seen, just endless nonsense high flying moves. I honestly never gave a second thought to watching this because my assumption was it was just going to be an entire card like that.
In one of Jericho's books, he says something about how he thought it was just endless nonsense, until he went down there to wrestle. Then he confirmed it.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:28 AM

Just got through watching the 1st Lucha Underground repeat. It looks really cool. Robert Rodriguez is a producer, and it looks more like an interactive movie than a live event. The footage has been run through high contrast filters with some increased red and yellow tint to give it more of a "savage" look. It reminds me of the Bloodsport movies Jean Claude Van Damme starred in.

It delves into Aztec history, showing scenes of ancient Aztec cities and their warrior culture. The ring canvas has an Aztec calendar imprint, and an overhead camera which catches shots of pin attempts atop the design. The matches aren't silly high spot parades. Dario Cueto does a good job of acting the role of the corrupt owner who enjoys manipulating his talent to fight among themselves. Connan looks like a drug lord who enjoys throwing grenades at pigeons in the park.

I was kind of surprised to see Chavo Guerrero lose first off, but I liked the follow up scene of Cueto breathing down his neck and blaming him for the misfortunes that will ensue when he brings in some new menace he claims he will have no control over. The show has a great atmosphere, and hopefully they won't screw it up when starts to see mainstream success.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:36 AM

Been thinking about the Bray Wyatt promo all weekend. One bit that seriously bothered me when it aired and I hope they don't repeat.

Bray talking about the feeling of power when you have a life in your hands. Geez, kids are a big part of this audience and it's not like there aren't any completely fucked up people watching it either. We've had years of "Don't try this at home", so let's now walk down the path of insinuating or implying even remotely that killing small animals and other people might be fun.