Old 08-24-2018, 11:57 AM

I get up every morning and read the news with glee. Watching those corrupt assholes go down will make it all worth while. Now I know how the hippies felt in 1974.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
Old 08-24-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
I get up every morning and read the news with glee. Watching those corrupt assholes go down will make it all worth while. Now I know how the hippies felt in 1974.
Not until you fire up a joint, you won't.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
They're going up the ladder.
And. who is "up the ladder" from the CFO?
Old 08-24-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Call me crazy, but maybe- just hear me out- maybe he's only finding wrongdoing on one side because that's the side that's doing the wrong.
Oh, I doubt that, but I will defend risk-based investigations and prosecutions, and we are at greater risk from crimes committed the "side" that is currently running the government.

And stop using "side", dammit, this isn't a football game; we are talking about political parties, only one of which has admitted that the Party is more important than the country. (That directed at news organizations, not you)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:31 PM

"Rudy, it's Don. I've decided to flip. That gets me immunity, right? Then we can go back to talking about my electrical college win, right?"
Old 08-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
Tired, depressed, and exhausted. If you had gangrene in one of your toes and had to hack it off with an ax, would you celebrate?
Old 08-24-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Tired, depressed, and exhausted. If you had gangrene in one of your toes and had to hack it off with an ax, would you celebrate?
To be honest (and possibly too graphic) my late husband did, in fact, have gangrene in his big toe (it was black as a lump of coal right before the surgery), and by the time the doc amputated it, we were indeed celebrating. (A year later that leg was amputated-- not exactly cause for celebration, but it had to happen to save his life.)

Didn't hack it off with an axe, however.

So, yeah, I'm celebrating.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 08-24-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure would. Because no more gangrene.
Though I doubt I'd be dancing.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd be happy that the infection hadn't become septic and spread irreversibly to all of my systems.

On a lighter note, a little ditty has been running (ha!) through my head:
Quote:
And now they're flipping, flipping, faster than lightning.
That is, you see, the smart strategy!
And all the flippers gonna give testimony
Give information, on their crime boss!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
I have five dollars cash American that says Cohen turns back and says the "candidate for federal office" was Pence.
Well, that's weird.

Vice President Pence Now Being Investigated For Campaign Fraud
Fair warning, there is no substance to this blog post, little but speculation and unsupported statements, but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
None of this makes the least bit of sense. Read the criminal information on Cohen. The crimes he is accused of (aside from the tax evasion and bank fraud) are all related to the Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal payoffs, and those payoffs were directed by and reimbursed by Donald Trump.
You are arguing that something in this administration is not likely because it does not make sense?
Really?

Not to push a joke too far, but do we have any evidence other than Cohen's less than reliable or unambiguous word that Trump directed the payoff? The contents of the safe might shed light on this, or might only establish that he was aware of it.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Well, that's weird.

Vice President Pence Now Being Investigated For Campaign Fraud
Fair warning, there is no substance to this blog post, little but speculation and unsupported statements, but still.

You are arguing that something in this administration is not likely because it does not make sense?
Really?

Not to push a joke too far, but do we have any evidence other than Cohen's less than reliable or unambiguous word that Trump directed the payoff? The contents of the safe might shed light on this, or might only establish that he was aware of it.
I thought later in the document they clarified that 'candidate for federal office' then became president.

Secondly - Pence was never a 'candidate'.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
And. who is "up the ladder" from the CFO?
CEO. then presumably the CDO, CCO, CBO and finally CAO.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

All right, that earned a chuckle. Good job!
Old 08-24-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
"Rudy, it's Don. I've decided to flip. That gets me immunity, right? Then we can go back to talking about my electrical college win, right?"
No, Don, I think we should stick with truth isn't truth.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Not enough. She voted to convict on 8 counts.
The silver lining is, when there is a mistrial (as opposed to acquittal or conviction) the STAES can retry cases for the same or very similar crimes. So this Trumpy juror may well have given the states all the rope they will use to hang the crooked fucker.

Example: California could prosecute the separate act of conspiracy bank fraud because Manafort has never been prosecuted and convicted or acquitted of that charge.

There was also a hung jury on the four bank fraud charges for his dealings with the Federal Savings Bank in Illinois. The state’s double jeopardy law also allows a second state prosecution after a mistrial.

If Trump pardons Manafort on the charges from this month’s federal case alone, then he would still face prosecution in New York, Illinois, California Virginia.

And now, Grassley and Graham are making noises that they will support Trum in firng Sessions and appointing a more obedient stooge who would in turn fire Meuller ... BUT they want to wait until AFTER the "mid terms".

Last edited by SteveG1; 08-24-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
No, Don, I think we should stick with truth isn't truth.
"Yeah, that's good. That's deep. All my haters won't be smart enough to understand that, of course. Because they're haters."
Old 08-24-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I thought later in the document they clarified that 'candidate for federal office' then became president.

Secondly - Pence was never a 'candidate'.
Cohen used the phrase "candidate for federal office"; the legal filing used a phrase something like "Individual-1, who later became the president of the United States".

There are two elected federal offices, president and vice-president. They run on the same ticket - against the expressed intent of the founding fathers, btw - but they are separate offices and I will argue that both people on the ticket are candidates.

The phrase "a candidate for federal office" - again, not part of the legal document - is somewhat odd, and can apply to Pence as well as Trump.

Pence never made sense as a running mate; people who like Pence certainly weren't going to vote for HRC or Bernie.

Pence is exactly the type of person most susceptible to threats and blackmail - he would care about his reputation, and that reputation depends on traditional morality that politicians seem to have such trouble maintaining.

Pence is clearly morally compromised - he ran on the ticket with a known philanderer* and sexual predator.
(*I can, and have, looked past that, but Pence should not have been able to.)

So, Mannafort selected Pence as running mate specifically to blackmail him into performing dirty-tricks and/or set him up as a fall guy should the need arise, and Cohen signalled that that he will return that serve, if he is paid half a million dollars. [Imagine me wildly circling Venn diagrams at this point.]

Now, if you will excuse me, I have come up with a theory to explain what is going on with Sessions. It's almost as if this tweet storm isn't intended to distract us from something worse.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Dude, it's Trump. Why are you wasting bandwidth in this attempt to convince yourself it's not?
Old 08-24-2018, 03:26 PM

Well, don't stop there - what's the theory!

ETA: Is that what he's doing? It's not working. Dude - it's Trump.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 08-24-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Dude, it's Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Dude - it's Trump.
The new shorthand for explaining the latest hourly example of modern political insanity? 'Cause a calming mantra it ain't.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Dude, it's Trump. Why are you wasting bandwidth in this attempt to convince yourself it's not?
I want to win, or lose, five dollars?

As for Sessions, I loathe that miserable elf so much that my reality cannot accommodate honorable behavior, such as standiing up to a bully and respecting the rule of law, on his part.

Oh, dear heavens, Pence advised relying on rumor and gossip for news.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
As for Sessions, I loathe that miserable elf so much that my reality cannot accommodate honorable behavior, such as standiing up to a bully and respecting the rule of law, on his part.
Personally, I suspect that he's one of the sources that the FBI had against Trump, from when they opened their investigation.

I'll grant that, if he had any part to play in the policy to arrest people who made lawful asylum requests, he's still a criminal. But it seems to be limited to specific topics, and in other areas he's still a "by-the-book" law keeper.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 08-24-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

When all of these Russian contacts started hitting the press with Manafort 2 years ago, Pence was really quick to try distance himself. My WAG is Pence had some contact that was not reported and/or was privy in some way to getting Russian dirt on Hillary without flagging it to the FBI. It sure would be a two-fer to take down both Trump and Pence, and the Presidency passes to the Democratic speaker of the house post mid-terms. Of course, the partisan Republicans out there will fight this tooth and nail. It's one thing to have Pence replace The Donald, it's another thing entirely if the torch passes outside the party.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
When all of these Russian contacts started hitting the press with Manafort 2 years ago, Pence was really quick to try distance himself. My WAG is Pence had some contact that was not reported and/or was privy in some way to getting Russian dirt on Hillary without flagging it to the FBI. It sure would be a two-fer to take down both Trump and Pence, and the Presidency passes to the Democratic speaker of the house post mid-terms. Of course, the partisan Republicans out there will fight this tooth and nail. It's one thing to have Pence replace The Donald, it's another thing entirely if the torch passes outside the party.
From day one, it has seemed to me that they have Pence on the sidelines, quiet and protected, for the inevitable removal of Trump.

The only weird thing about that, is the puppy dog eyes Pence makes at Trump. I would have thought the instructions were to appear independent.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Personally, I suspect that he's one of the sources that the FBI had against Trump, from when they opened their investigation.

I'll grant that, if he had any part to play in the policy to arrest people who made lawful asylum requests, he's still a criminal. But it seems to be limited to specific topics, and in other areas he's still a "by-the-book" law keeper.

Sessions is the Severus Snape of the Trump Administration. Kind of an asshole, with a loathesome personal philosophy, a taste for cruelty, and an initial alliance with evil. But in the ongoing fight against He Who Must Not Be Named, he's on the side of the good guys. Probably for the wrong reasons, but he's got more guts than a lot of them and he's doing his part.

Last edited by Toxgoddess; 08-24-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I want to win, or lose, five dollars?

I totally get that. It's like stumbling on a few minutes of redeeming social value in a snuff film, isn't it?

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 08-24-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
From day one, it has seemed to me that they have Pence on the sidelines, quiet and protected, for the inevitable removal of Trump.

The only weird thing about that, is the puppy dog eyes Pence makes at Trump. I would have thought the instructions were to appear independent.
Uh. The House and Senate has had PLENTY of ammo to remove Trump and install Pence. If that was their plan.

If that was their plan, I suspect they might be as surprised as the rest of us that Trump supporters would gladly drag them out in the middle of the night and lynch them from the nearest lamp post.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 PM

An aide to Roger Stone has been granted immunity.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
An aide to Roger Stone has been granted immunity.
I'm starting to understand why the Howling Yam is an anti-vaxxer.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
Sessions is the Severus Snape of the Trump Administration. Kind of an asshole, with a loathesome personal philosophy, a taste for cruelty, and an initial alliance with evil. But in the ongoing fight against He Who Must Not Be Named, he's on the side of the good guys. Probably for the wrong reasons, but he's got more guts than a lot of them and he's doing his part.
I think you nailed it.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
There does have to be some reason this dude has stayed on in the face of all reason.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
There does have to be some reason this dude has stayed on in the face of all reason.
Sessions has his own agenda: he wants to do away with civil rights for minorities. He is of the Old South, and he is on a mission. That's why he'll never resign. He won't let thump or anyone stop him.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Well there is this whole very likely to get to be president thing.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
He's on a mission. From God.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Ah, thank you; that's low and self-righteous enough, and now it looks like his efforts are coming to fruition. He's not standing up now because bullying and subverting the rule of law are wrong, he's doing it because he can get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
I totally get that. It's like stumbling on a few minutes of redeeming social value in a snuff film, isn't it?
Worse.
Quote:
You wrong Snape.

"An aide to Roger Stone has been granted immunity. "
We're gonna run out of popcorn.

Last edited by j666; 08-24-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Toxgoddess was talking about Sessions. The following two replies seem to be about Pence.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
He's on a mission. From God.
Although both Sessions and Pence are on missions from God.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 08-24-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Toxgoddess was talking about Sessions. The following two replies seem to be about Pence.

Although both Sessions and Pence are on missions from God.
You are right, I was talking about Pence.

I need a daily program.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Ex-Trump World Tower doorman releases 'catch-and-kill' contract about alleged Trump affair

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/24/polit...ami/index.html

Guy was signed to a contract which prevented him from telling his knowledge of a Trump love child. Because of Peckers cooperation, he has been released from the agreement.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
This made my day.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ex-Trump World Tower doorman releases 'catch-and-kill' contract about alleged Trump affair

Guy was signed to a contract which prevented him from telling his knowledge of a Trump love child. Because of Peckers cooperation, he has been released from the agreement.
When it rains it pours.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:44 PM

Since Tuesday, we have the Manafort verdict, the Cohen plea, New York starting an investigation into the Trump foundation, Pecker, Weisselberg, and Andrew Miller granted immunity. This is way to much happening simultaneously at once for it just to be a coincidence.

I wonder if they had all of these held in reserve and were just waiting for the Manafort verdict to trigger it. If so there may be more coming next week. Buckle your seatbelts.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Since Tuesday, we have the Manafort verdict, the Cohen plea, New York starting an investigation into the Trump foundation, Pecker, Weisselberg, and Andrew Miller granted immunity. This is way to much happening simultaneously at once for it just to be a coincidence.

I wonder if they had all of these held in reserve and were just waiting for the Manafort verdict to trigger it. If so there may be more coming next week. Buckle your seatbelts.
It's gotten so that I actually look forward to rolling over and checking my phone in the mornings now.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Since Tuesday, we have the Manafort verdict, the Cohen plea, New York starting an investigation into the Trump foundation, Pecker, Weisselberg, and Andrew Miller granted immunity
New York has actually been investigating the Trump Foundation since 2016, and sued the Foundation, Trump, and the foundation's directors (who coincidentally also have the surname Trump) alleging unlawful political conduct, self-dealing, and tax issues. That case is ongoing.

The recent news is that New York is now also investigating the Trump Organization company over accounting issues, in particular how it accounted for its payments to Cohen regarding the hush money deals with Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal. And probably a lot of other transactions.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Does he get to keep the money?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does he get to keep the money?
He probably does get to keep the money, as the agreement does not likely contain a provision calling for him to refund his $30,000 in the event that AMI walks away from the (amended) contract. He also doesn’t have to pay AMI a million dollars for telling the story to anyone else.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:09 AM

Why is a story involving consensual sex between adults worth more than one involving an extramarital child?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
And hates dolphins.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

"catch and kill"

This is the first I've encountered the term. I'm assuming it refers to paying for a story and for silence, then not publishing the story?
Old 08-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Why is a story involving consensual sex between adults worth more than one involving an extramarital child?
Maybe that's where Trump gets his "reputation" as a "great negotiator"?
Old 08-25-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Because the doorman agreed to a lesser amount.

Probably offered them both $10,000 to start and just kept raising it until they said 'OK'.

There is no Kelly Blue Book for standard hush money payoffs, after all. To many variables - how damaging, how much money do you have, how poor is the recipient, just a nightmare.

Last edited by Folacin; 08-25-2018 at 09:13 AM.