Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Elijah Cummings has died

Dead at 68 due to "complications concerning longstanding health challenges".

He was one of the greats in Congress over the past several decades and his influence will be missed.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:52 AM

Shocked and very sorry to hear this. He was a fine committee chairman, based on what I saw and read.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:56 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Watch this thread for reaction^2. I anticipate that Trump's reaction will infuriate me.

If anyone's not familiar with him, please watch this.

A truly dedicated public servant and an admirable man. His leadership as Oversight Chair will prove a tough act to follow, I fear.

Last edited by mjmlabs; 10-17-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:04 AM

Very shocked and saddened. There are very few truly great men in DC today, and today there is one less. He was an absolute giant, a man of compassion and integrity.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 AM

He was one of the truly great statesmen, and it is fitting that he will be greatly missed.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

My few chances to observe him as work gave me a fine impression. And before his incumbency I did live many years in MD-7 so I have a connection with his community and they and his family have my condolences.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM

I was so sorry to learn this. I had no idea he was ill. He was a dedicated public servant who understood the meaning of collegiality, recognizing its importance in political dialogue. His leadership will be sorely missed.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmlabs View Post
... I anticipate that Trump's reaction will infuriate me. ...
Maybe, but this seems pretty polite:

If that infuriates you ...

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 10-17-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Shiiiit!!! Like we can spare a decent dude right now.

Last edited by drad dog; 10-17-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post

It depends, when compared to the craziness coming from his tweets, many would wonder if he was the one who actually wrote that.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

If racist Elijah Cummings would focus more of his energy on helping the good people of his district, and Baltimore itself, perhaps progress could be made in fixing the mess that he has helped to create over many years of incompetent leadership. His radical “oversight” is a joke!

There is nothing racist in stating plainly what most people already know, that Elijah Cummings has done a terrible job for the people of his district, and of Baltimore itself. Dems always play the race card when they are unable to win with facts. Shame!

“Elijah Cummings has had his chance to address it (crime & conditions in Baltimore) for decades, and he hasn’t gotten it done.” @PeteHegseth @foxandfriends How can he get it done when he just wants to use his Oversight Committee to hurt innocent people and divide our Country!

Someone please explain to Nancy Pelosi, who was recently called racist by those in her own party, that there is nothing wrong with bringing out the very obvious fact that Congressman Elijah Cummings has done a very poor job for his district and the City of Baltimore. Just take...

....a look, the facts speak far louder than words! The Democrats always play the Race Card, when in fact they have done so little for our Nation’s great African American people. Now, lowest unemployment in U.S. history, and only getting better. Elijah Cummings has failed badly!

So sad that Elijah Cummings has been able to do so little for the people of Baltimore. Statistically, Baltimore ranks last in almost every major category. Cummings has done nothing but milk Baltimore dry, but the public is getting wise to the bad job that he is doing!

Elijah Cummings spends all of his time trying to hurt innocent people through “Oversight.” He does NOTHING for his very poor, very dangerous and very badly run district! Take a look.... #BlacksForTrump2020

Why is so much money sent to the Elijah Cummings district when it is considered the worst run and most dangerous anywhere in the United States. No human being would want to live there. Where is all this money going? How much is stolen? Investigate this corrupt mess immediately!

Rep, Elijah Cummings has been a brutal bully, shouting and screaming at the great men & women of Border Patrol about conditions at the Southern Border, when actually his Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous. His district is considered the Worst in the USA......
....As proven last week during a Congressional tour, the Border is clean, efficient & well run, just very crowded. Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place
Old 10-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Thank you running coach, nice to remember why is that many would wonder if he actually wrote that polite tweet and not Dan Scavino.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:14 PM

What do you see as the greatest accomplishment(s) of Cummings life?
Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 PM

He was a great man and a seemed exceptionally good-hearted, such as when he gave emotional support to Michael Cohen when he was testifying and being attacked by Trump and the Republicans as a "rat" (and Cummings' show of humanity almost left Cohen in tears), and when he defended that asswipe Mark Meadows in committee in front of everyone (although Meadows cowardly declined to do the same when Trump subsequently attacked Cummings).

Cummings made some truly deep and soulful speeches in the committee hearings I saw. It's a sad day for the Democrats and America.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
What do you see as the greatest accomplishment(s) of Cummings life?
Same question backatcha.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
It depends, when compared to the craziness coming from his tweets, many would wonder if he was the one who actually wrote that.
Wouldn't shock me even slightly if Trump didn't write that at all. It's a little too coherent for him, and he's probably still too busy seething and trying to formulate a tweet-comeback to Pelosi.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:18 PM

Good riddance, so say I to about 99.9% of politicians, he's no different.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 PM

I disagree. This seems to be one of the most short-sighted stupid statements I've ever seen typed. This man saw more history transpire than most of us. I'm guessing that you were either not alive or somewhere extremely safe when he was in Selma. You could just be a prick though. ymmv
Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 PM

I retract that comment. I thought that a statement like the one from Pool must've resided in the pit. My bad.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutman74 View Post
I disagree. This seems to be one of the most short-sighted stupid statements I've ever seen typed. This man saw more history transpire than most of us. I'm guessing that you were either not alive or somewhere extremely safe when he was in Selma. You could just be a prick though. ymmv
I can't find any reputable cites that Cummings was in Selma at age 14.

I do see a lot of people confusing him with Rep. Lewis though....
Old 10-17-2019, 10:11 PM

That is totally my bad. I did get them confused. I'm a shitty liberal However the basic he's a politician, so he's a shithead thing pissed me off. Judging by his recent actions, I think he was an example of the kind of politician that puts proper conduct above party. He will be missed
Old 10-17-2019, 10:13 PM

Not that it's an excuse, but I've been drinking.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

He will be deeply missed.
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

pool, when you try to get rid of all of the politicians, you don't end up with no politicians. You end up with at least as many as you had before, but they're all worse politicians. Attitudes like yours are a large part of why so many politicians are bad.
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Same question backatcha.
I don't know (that's why I asked). Prior to this thread I couldn't have named a single accomplishment of his aside from getting elected to Congress and selected as a committee chairman. Walken After Midnight mentioned some of his speeches in Congress, so I guess that'd be #3?