Old 11-19-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
That's an outrage. Facts may not be covered by copyright, but made-up crap should be!

Which reminds me of the time a few years ago when I convinced my family to play Trivial Pursuit, despite their protests that many of the questions would be out of date. As it happened, the very first card drawn from the deck read:

"What Russian city used to be named St. Petersburg?"

Tampa?
Old 11-19-2014, 12:31 PM

The only one I remember being wrong is wrong only on a technicality:

"Did Great Britain boycott the 1980 Summer Olympics?"

The given answer is "No", but technically, Great Britain did boycott. True, there were British athletes there, but "officially" they competed as "independent athletes" under the Olympic flag, and a "neutral" song was played at medal ceremonies (e.g. when Daley Thompson won the decathlon). They did enter the stadium together behind a sign saying "Great Britain", but that was more for Soviet propoganda purposes than anything else; it was not an "official IOC recognition" that Great Britain had set a delegation. (Not every "western" country that attended did this; Australia, for example, did not officially boycott.)
Old 11-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Not Trivial Pursuit, but another trivia game asked the (paraphrased) question, "What is the real name of Batman's enemy, 'The Penquin.'" According the the game, it was "Stinky Potwhistle." Not being aware of spoiler questions at the time, this puzzled me, and put me right off the game.
May just have been a mistake. Stinky Printwhistle was the everyday identity of Captain Marvel's enemy Ibac, who had the "powers" of Ivan the Terrible, Cesare (I presume) Borgia, Attila the Hun, and Caligula. To beat him, Cap would have to trick him into pronouncing his name (e.g., "I back down to no one!"). More plausibly done, IMO, than to trick somebody into "klptzyxm".

Penguin, of course, was Oswald Cobblepot.

One card from one edition of TP I remember put North Korea into Southeast Asia.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

A few years ago, I encountered the following question in a game of Trivial Pursuit (paraphrased as best as I can recall); "What song did members of Congress sing while gathered on the steps of the Capitol Building in September 2001?"

The correct answer, as anyone who recalls those days of patriotic fervor in the wake of 9/11 knows, is "God Bless America".

The answer blank on the card, however, read;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial Pursuit 5th Edition
p
Just like that. A single lowercase p, italicized, with no punctuation.

I wonder how many other games played by other people throughout the country were ruined by that misprint.

Last edited by Smapti; 11-19-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Elephant Whisperer

A related question I'll piggyback here. I recall hearing in the 1980s that the Canadian version had a question omitted from game sets in the US. Something about Ronald Reagan's wife already being pregnant when they got married, but I don't remember which wife it was. Did that really appear in the Canadian sets?
Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

I remember one that caused a shouting match during the game. I don't recall the exact wording, but it was something like 'Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, was named for the consort of which king?' The correct answer is William IV, and the main street of Adelaide, King William Street, is named for him. The incorrect answer on the card was George IV.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Googled it for you, Sam.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/we...rphy.html?_r=0

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=5417,905009
Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 AM

While I'm aware that Ecuador is a country named for its line of latitude, the omission of Twentyador (a.k.a. Twentynorthador) has always outraged me.

Last edited by susan; 11-20-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:10 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Sorry/not sorry for the necrobump, but...

A friend of mine has sixty mis-printed cards in his Genus Edition. The problem: the answers on the backs of the cards are the answers to the wrong questions! You can actually tell because the cards have tiny numbers at the bottom, and they should be the same on both sides -- they're not.

Off the top of my head, I remember one question was, "What were the names of the warring factions in West Side Story?" Flip the card over, and the answer: "The Beach Boys." Which...if you're a Beach Boys fan, sadly rings VERY true!

The best, though:

"From what two words did the meat product Spam take its name?"

The answer:

"Leon Trotsky"
Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Another question from the '80s Edition has to do with Timothy Dalton's final appearance as James Bond. The answer is Licence Revoked, the film's title during production, rather than Licence to Kill. Again, I accept either answer if I'm asking.

I'm guessing that the cards were published before Licence to Kill and Batman were released.
Wait, if the card was published before License to Kill's release how would they know that was his final Bond film?

Apparently Dalton was signed on for one more film after License to Kill but only dropped out due to a bunch of weird corporate restructuring stuff that occurred after LtK's release which is why there was such a giant gap between LtK and Goldeneye. In fact the outline of the 3rd Dalton film has been out for a while now and Dalton apparently at one point was going to fight a robot, I'm not joking (since Terminator was hot at the time and Bond films tend to copy whatever was the last big hit).
Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Johnny Gentle View Post
The questions weren't necessarily incorrect, but I remember getting the Sports expansion in the mid 80s and playing with my father. We gave up on it fairly quickly after discovering a considerable number of questions were of the form "Who wears number 9 for the Vikings?"
Every crappily made sports trivia game suffers from this. I remember buying one in the early 00's for PC where most the questions were "How many yards did <insert quarterback> rush for last season?" which made it hilariously out of date a year after production.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 PM

I recall playing the game in the mid-1980s when Pete Rose was player-manager of the Reds. Trivial Pursuit was obviously printed/published before Pete was named their manager, because they had a question "Who was the last player-manager in Major League Baseball?" and the answer on the back was Don Kessinger (which was indeed correct before Rose managed).
Old 01-11-2019, 01:28 PM

Possibly a hijack, as it pertains to the tabletop version of a different game: Who Want to be a Millionaire, but my outrage at the error was similar to that of others in this thread.

The final, million-dollar question was: what is the name of the B-2 Bomber?

I forget what the claimed "correct" answer was, but none of the four options was "Spirit," which is correct. The other players feigned that this information could not possibly be known, so I "lost." This was in the days before smartphones and Wikipedia.

I was quite put out.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatteredFrog View Post

The best, though:

"From what two words did the meat product Spam take its name?"
Gotta wonder what the "right" answer to that question is. There are many folk etymologies of Spam floating around, and the makers aren't saying what the true version is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Apparently Dalton was signed on for one more film after License to Kill but only dropped out due to a bunch of weird corporate restructuring stuff that occurred after LtK's release which is why there was such a giant gap between LtK and Goldeneye.
I thought that was because of a long legal dispute with the people that made Never Say Never Again. They wanted to make more Bond films. EON wanted to stop them. Until the dispute was resolved, neither were able to make any.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Wait, if the card was published before License to Kill's release how would they know that was his final Bond film?

Apparently Dalton was signed on for one more film after License to Kill but only dropped out due to a bunch of weird corporate restructuring stuff that occurred after LtK's release which is why there was such a giant gap between LtK and Goldeneye. In fact the outline of the 3rd Dalton film has been out for a while now and Dalton apparently at one point was going to fight a robot, I'm not joking (since Terminator was hot at the time and Bond films tend to copy whatever was the last big hit).
All I know for sure is that the little insert with the color codes is 1989. I'm not about to dig through all those cards to find the exact wording.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Back in 2013, someone found and posted a picture on the net of a card with the question, "Which of these actors has never played Batman: Ben Affleck, Christian Bale, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, or Adam West?"
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 PM

I was at a church singles group in 1988 playing whatever the most recent edition was. Team play. I was cleaning house on sports questions. Then came one right down the middle of the plate:

"How many games did it take the Minnesota Twins to defeat the St Louis Cardinals in the 1987 World Series?"

I said, "Seven," and reached for the die.

Nope. The card said "six," and nobody else there was a baseball fan. I listed the scores for each game, etc, but they thought the card was like the 10 Commandments or something.

I stopped playing and just sat there.