Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 PM

Star Trek Discovery Season 2 Thread

Starting with Episode 2 I thought a single thread would be better.

Wow, they really are trying to course correct. A Star Ship going to a planet Just Like Earth (tm) is the Trekiest of Treks that ever Treked and I enjoyed it. An interesting stand alone story with some threads from the last episode. A good continuation.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:39 AM

Yeah, Ep 2 is really good.
There's a first-class mystery in the Red Angels, the character interaction is stellar (which is, I must say, a carryover from the first season).

Better yet, it captures the best of the old Trek - the exploration, the discovery, the moral background - but it has enough of an edge from new Trek to mix it up. There's a lot going on.

I'm really stoked for the new season.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:33 AM

I also liked that (I will spoiler this because the episode just dropped)

SPOILER:
The religious folks were not fanatical crazies. That would have been an easy trope to go with.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=Quimby;21451521]I also liked that (I will spoiler this because the episode just dropped)

And would be in any post TOS show for sure. Good on DISCO for avoiding that.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 01-25-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 AM

I am glad the Just Like Earth aspect was due to actual migration and not convergence. While I'm glad the actor who plays the deceased doctor is still around, I hope they find a way to bring him back in a more substantial way. I'm getting a strong vibe that Michael and Spock had a thing at some point.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:28 PM

I only hope the resolution does not lead directly into the events of The Cage. Given the tone and what we've seen...it would seem hamfisted. Whatever happened right before The Cage, it seems grounded and the result of Pike misjudging a basic situation....not some pseudo-mystical-Clarke's Law-mumbo jumbo.

And given the uniforms, I'd think The Cage took place already.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:38 PM

This was a damn sight better than the premier. I thought that one would end with a group hug or a Starfleet cheer or something.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:56 AM

This show is garbage and tries too much to be like Star Wars.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:28 AM

Well, so much for the hope that they'd just decide to quietly bury the spore drive. Seriously, how that idea ever made it out of the first shit-shooting brainstorm meeting, I'll never understand. I guess they needed to top Khan's reviving blood and Scotty's transwarp transporters in terms of universe-breaking mechanics.

Still, I'm hopeful for this season. This episode was trying a bit too hard, perhaps---it was basically a hodge-podge of Trek tropes, from the lost offshoot of humanity in space, to interactions with mysterious unseen beings, to everybody always being special ("You're the youngest ever to be allowed into Captain school", or whatever it was), and finally, to prime directive (sorry, 'General Order 1' ) bullshit. I mean, seriously, they're just gonna leave them? What if whatever happened to cause the debris to deorbit happens again?

So again, not a stellar episode---lots of clunkiness, like being dumped right into exposition central after landing on the planet---but I think they're heading in the right direction. Now I only worry they're going to blow past it at warp speed. Or spore speed?

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 01-26-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Still, I'm hopeful for this season. This episode was trying a bit too hard, perhaps---it was basically a hodge-podge of Trek tropes, from the lost offshoot of humanity in space, to interactions with mysterious unseen beings, to everybody always being special ("You're the youngest ever to be allowed into Captain school", or whatever it was), and finally, to prime directive (sorry, 'General Order 1' ) bullshit.

Don't forget the really horrible "science."
Old 01-26-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Don't forget the really horrible "science."
Yeah, I wasn't convinced by the quick explanation of the matter transporter either.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Liam View Post
This show is garbage and tries too much to be like Star Wars.
The force left star wars long ago, but you're correct.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Lol on New Eden first time in Star Trek history a captain chose to go with the prime suggestion sorta
Old 01-27-2019, 09:10 PM

CBS released ep 1 on Youtube so i got to see it instead of seeing clips and reading reviews

I guess Pike's (sorta) fortune cookie about A Cage confirms my fear of where this will end up for him.

I like the quiet "human" moments. Sarek, Amanda. Anthony Rapp. Lot of general stuff I dislike. The so-called snappy dialogue. Christ doesn't it get exhausting speaking in one-liners and constantly having this "GO GO GO GO" attitude? Green continues to have two modes. Increduality and the verge of crying.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:12 AM

Wow....Discovery has failed so badly, we arn't talking about it.

Whats dumb about this whole thing is....I'd have been perfectly happy with the adventures of Pre or post-Cage Pike, Spock (If they got Quinto) Number One, Colt, Doc whassisname, Navigator dude*....So being a TOS prequel wasn't the prob.

*The Cage did more in one episode to establish characters then DISC has in 1+ seasons.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:17 AM

What the actual fuck did I just watch?
Spocks Brain at least had the benefit of some curvy human alien ladies.

How do you ruin this.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

this show has such a strange cadence.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Last episode:
Overweight neurotic giggly ensign beats obviously fitter shipmates (even after stopping to chat with spore friend) in long distance run.
Said ensign has meltdown in front of Captain during training exercise and announces removal from command training. Later gets back on training track after finally admitting to hallucinations and saying "sorry".

First of all, fatness is cured 200 years in the future. This isn't like Picard not caring about curing his baldness as baldness doesn't affect his capability to perform his duties. So, every time I see this person I have to wonder how she got by the selection board.

Secondly, getting infected by spores isn't a disqualifier from command, not telling anyone about having hallucinations should. Why isn't there a standing order that requires reporting unusual activity to a supervisor or at least log it (so that the computer can flag 'crazy' to command)? Given that there doesn't appear to be such an order, command candidates should have the intelligence to determine that having hallucinations could affect their ability to perform their job function and potentially endanger others on the ship. Michael is also guilty of this.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
Last episode:
Overweight neurotic giggly ensign beats obviously fitter shipmates (even after stopping to chat with spore friend) in long distance run.
Said ensign has meltdown in front of Captain during training exercise and announces removal from command training. Later gets back on training track after finally admitting to hallucinations and saying "sorry".

First of all, fatness is cured 200 years in the future. This isn't like Picard not caring about curing his baldness as baldness doesn't affect his capability to perform his duties. So, every time I see this person I have to wonder how she got by the selection board.

Secondly, getting infected by spores isn't a disqualifier from command, not telling anyone about having hallucinations should. Why isn't there a standing order that requires reporting unusual activity to a supervisor or at least log it (so that the computer can flag 'crazy' to command)? Given that there doesn't appear to be such an order, command candidates should have the intelligence to determine that having hallucinations could affect their ability to perform their job function and potentially endanger others on the ship. Michael is also guilty of this.
I actually sat around trying to think who was the first 'heavy woman' to appear in Star Trek (Mudd was first male of course),,,,I think Worf's mom was what I came up with. I'm not counting Lwaxana Troi cause she's legacy casting.

I got no problem with Tilly* and I appreciate that nothing (that i've heard) was said about how "progressive her body-positivity casting was!!!".

*If she'd dial it back. And yes her beating fitter people screams Mary-Sue. In fact the whole show screams Mary-Sue for her and Burnham

Today I noted how in the past, it was the GOOD GUYS who are xenophobic extremists. The Vulcans, Humans and Bajorans. Now of course we can't have that.

Edit: And the thing that would negate Burnham's Mary-Sueness....her conviction for TREASON...makes no sense. What she did wasn't treason, it was mutiny. And the same level of mutiny we've seen before. See Garrovick punching Kirk. But I don't find it surprising at all that DISC writers don't know what treason is.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 02-02-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:54 PM

Yeah, I have no problem with the casting of Tilly, but no way in hell she would win a half marathon. (And before anyone asks, I would quite possibly literally drop dead within the first quarter mile if I attempted to run one.)

(For me this was possibly the least bad episode of the whole series so far.)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:09 AM

There are lots of heavy set people who are athletic. She is plump, not unfit.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
There are lots of heavy set people who are athletic. She is plump, not unfit.

She's not marathon winner fit.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:45 PM

To counterbalance the negativity, I've liked this season. It feels like Star Trek. I am concerned by what they have planned for Spock and hope they do right by one of my favorite fictional characters but the sense of adventure and fun is turned up and I appreciate it.

Last edited by Quimby; 02-03-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Didn't really like the latest episode. It just sort of feels, I don't know, careless? Like the writers just go with whatever they come up with first, then ignore things that don't make sense. Like evil Klingon guy just showing up without any sort of assurances, so that everybody who knew about the whole thing conveniently gets murdered.

I think what's missing to me is really that it's the constraints that make a Sci-Fi setting believable, that make it feel like a universe and give it coherence. But this show just casually ignores such things---'...and then, they zip through the universe using a magic fungus, you know, and that fungus can also infect people and manifest hallucinations of people from their past...'. That's not a plot, that's Mad Libs.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:02 AM

I will say I didn't and don't like the taste of the Section 31 spin off we got. S31 are the villains not the heroes. They shouldn't headline a show. Especially a Trek show. I did like that they mentioned CONTROL which is a concept from the Novels.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
I think what's missing to me is really that it's the constraints that make a Sci-Fi setting believable, that make it feel like a universe and give it coherence. But this show just casually ignores such things---'...and then, they zip through the universe using a magic fungus, you know, and that fungus can also infect people and manifest hallucinations of people from their past...'. That's not a plot, that's Mad Libs.
Also, it kinda bugs me how they introduce new things we haven't seen in the other series, only to then have to come up with some justification for why we haven't seen them. So the Federation had holographic communication tech all the time, it's just that the Enterprise didn't have it because Pike thought it looked too much like ghosts...

If you want to be unshackled by continuity, don't make a prequel. I mean, I even would've been fine with just not addressing such issues---the image we have of the future is bound to change over time, and new series will reflect that. As long as it's nothing critical to the plot, I can forgive an older ship not having the buttons and dials the Enterprise had; it's just a visual representation. It's more important to look future-y.

But this half-and-half sort of deal---introduce something new, then try to handwave it away---just highlights every inconsistency.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

I skimmed over the thread to avoid any spoilers, but it seems like the reception so far is not great. Is it worth watching this year?

I haven't really thought about it until now. Wasn't a big fan of last season. The most interesting part of last season was Lorca, and it turns out that he's only interesting because he was an alternate universe character. Apparently main universe characters are not allowed to be interesting.

I also fucking hated the "oh let's pat ourselves on the back for maintaining federation values and not wiping out the klingons when they literally have a genocidal force coming to wipe humanity out in our solar system" ending of last year. Made no sense to me. If someone is literally minutes from wiping out your home planet and most of your race, I would fucking say "game on" to whatever you could do to them.

But on the plus side, there was.... um.... Saru is kind of a cool character.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I skimmed over the thread to avoid any spoilers, but it seems like the reception so far is not great. Is it worth watching this year?

It sucks less than last year, except now they are dragging the idiotic new "Klingons" (or KINO) back into it.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 AM

I've watched some videos on ST legal rights and different companies and timelines and cats and dogs living together oh the humanity!!

Right now Star Trek....imagine the different iterations of DC comics...Pre-Crisis, Crisis, New 52, Flashpoint,....I'm sure I'm forgetting some. That's what Star Trek is right now EXCEPT it's *legally required* to be different from previous iterations. What a headache.

Basically IMHO, barring all of the ST licenses coming under one banner, Discovery wont make it past next season, if its renewed at all. I doubt the Picard series gets made or we see a new Kelvin movie. NOW if they do merger CBS and paramount and the two Viacoms (dont ask)...then they COULD use the Picard series and a season 3 or 4 to "fix" the timelines. I'd be onboard with that.

Now I'm sure there are people who say "What does it matter? Why can't we just have Discovery stories and not care if it matches up with canon?" Well, I guess you could if the stories were good as stand-alone stories and not propped up by nostalgia and old characters. But they are. And if the the timbers propping up the stories are rotten...then people arn't going to watch.

I'm ranting. Sorry.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 PM

I'm loving Anson Mount as Pike so much that I wouldn't complain if they hand-waved away TOS canon and kept him on as permanent Discovery captain.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldris bal Comar View Post
I'm loving Anson Mount as Pike so much that I wouldn't complain if they hand-waved away TOS canon and kept him on as permanent Discovery captain.
My nutty idea was have Discovery destroyed in the events right before The Cage....have the Disco crew on board 1701 during The Cage and then let the combined crew have adventures.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I don't particularly care about "canon." Each of the series/movies kind of stand on their own for me. If I had to worry about canon, things would be way, way too complicated.

I'm enjoying this season, so far.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM

I was watching History Buffs work on Apollo 13...you know what's been missing since TOS?? Goddamn engineering. You're in a spaceship!! Stop with magic/technobabble solutions and give us some real tension as seen in The Naked Time and That Which Survives.

I guess ST:Enterprise did it a little and it was so-so in some eps and not so so-so in others.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:48 AM

What was the deal with usurper Klingon Kol-Sha needing L'Rell to sign his iPad so he could take over as chancellor? That's how Klingons in this series take over empires? With their fucking signatures?

"You will sign, for I am Kol-Sha, of the House of FedEx!"
Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
What was the deal with usurper Klingon Kol-Sha needing L'Rell to sign his iPad so he could take over as chancellor? That's how Klingons in this series take over empires? With their fucking signatures?

"You have been served by Kor!! No...literally served."
Old 02-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:

But they do sign it using the Stylus of Kahless, forged in the fires of the volcano Kri'stak from a twist of his pubic hair.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:50 PM

FWIW the Klingons in TOS were more scheming and underhanded and less Honor and staby staby.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
FWIW the Klingons in TOS were more scheming and underhanded and less Honor and staby staby.
Just rewatched "Errand of Mercy" SO GOOD....Jon Colicos is masterful and the Organians are so subtly alien and good

That's what DISCO is sorely missing is fantastic guest actors aside from their named actors like Pike and No.1
Old 02-15-2019, 10:37 PM

Well, that's not how I expected them to bring back Culber, but I'm happy they did it. (Was this the entire point of the May plotline? If so, worth it.)

He looked younger, to me, though...Wonder if that's just from the lack of facial hair, or if they're actually making him up to look younger since it's a new body.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 PM

In the latest one, I liked Pike's reaction to his first exposure to a TNG-style communicator.

Also, the take-away quote from the episode? "What are you doing with your tiny finger?"
Old 02-16-2019, 02:23 AM

When we saw Tilly in the cocoon, am I the only one who had a PTSD-inducing flashback to seeing Barb in the Upside Down?
Old 02-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
When we saw Tilly in the cocoon, am I the only one who had a PTSD-inducing flashback to seeing Barb in the Upside Down?
Nope - not the only one.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 AM

I have a feeling that at some point all of Disco is going to be wrapped up into Section 31.

We've always known that Section 31 uses tech that is not available/not known to the rest of Starfleet, and the spore drive is right up there: remember, the drive itself is classified and most of Starfleet doesn't know it exists.

Overall, this show has more of a DS9 feel than TOS or TNG, and I think that's a good thing.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM

This show just boggles my mind and not in a good way.

What is it about???? TNG was a continuation of TOS. Its mission right in the theme. DS9 was about the Bajoran station and changed its theme more than once getting better and better. Voyager we know exactly what that was about. St: Enterprise was a prequel and had so much potential. I hate that i wished it cancelled.

What is Discovery about? Name the leads and their role on the ship. Burnham. ??? Saru is second in command and science officer isnt he? Pike we know. Tilly is a cadet in training. Stammets??? Reno i guess will become Chief Engineer. Stammets BF is back and will reassume Chief Medical Officer?

Is Burnham Communications Officer? I guess thats a nice homage if true.

Who is android girl, African girl, eye prothstetic girl?

I guess the theme is solve the season mystery box?? That's shallow IMHO.

DS9 changed a lot and like i said earlier for the better. If I ran DISC....I'd fold it into Pike's NCC-1701. Have the ship Discovery destroyed in whatever incident directly preceded The Cage, the one Pike talked about retiring over. Fold DISCs leads into Enterprises known officers. SHIT MAN, maybe Discoverys eye prosthetic girls name is Yeoman Colt? Or make Tilly Colt.

Then after The Cage, third season on is just To Boldly Go. The Cage, WNMHGB and the very early TOS eps are great because of how raw everything looks and how Final Frontier it is.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 02-20-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Saru is second in command and science officer isnt he?
Saru is XO. He is not the Science Officer. Burnham is the science officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams
Who is android girl, African girl, eye prothstetic girl?
Tactical (maybe), Navigator, Helm, respectively.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
Saru is XO. He is not the Science Officer. Burnham is the science officer.

Tactical (maybe), Navigator, Helm, respectively.
Thank you. Two days ago, the actress who plays "android girl" (I know she's stated her name. Ill look it up now)...Airiam. Is that a pun? Air I am? Advanced Integrated Robotics I Am. Anyhoo...

The actress did a small promo on her twitter account. I responded, "You're a full Lieutenant Commander...and we still don't know anything about you. But we're getting Saru's sister??"

She 'liked' it. So at least my complaint has reached someones ear. Prosthetic ear.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I've finally caught up with this season and I'm satisfied with how it's going so far. Season 1 was great and so far, they've kept the quality high.

Among the positives: Great casting (generally), good acting and interaction, nice balance in the plots between action/tension and thoughtful issues in the Star Trek tradition. Everything looks great.

Michael Burnham is the best main character and the best actor to play a main character on Star Trek since ... hmm ... only William Shatner and Patrick Stewart were better.

Regarding casting, Anson Mount as Capt. Pike is brilliant. He didn't have to be a near-ringer for Jeffrey Hunter for it to work (Bruce Greenwood worked too), but it's amazing how much he is.

James Frain as Sarek and Mia Kirschner as Amanda are perfect. Seeing them in the roles doesn't make me miss the original actors at all.

And speaking of that, kudos on the casting of Rebecca Romijn as Number One -- perfect, gorgeous, and actually a better actor than Majel Barrett. Best stunt casting since Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd.

"There are no fat people in the future"? ... Thanks for wishing me and people like me out of my favorite show, dude.

I'm full of the tension of meeting adult Spock for the first time. Great stuff!

And continuity? Fuck that. Just make a kick-ass show for grownups and all will be forgiven.

My sole complaint: Tig Notaro. She's just playing Tig Notaro. I drop out of the story every time she talks. I keep expecting her to make a quip about Taylor Dayne. Act gooder, Tig!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
"There are no fat people in the future"? ... Thanks for wishing me and people like me out of my favorite show, dude.
So, you wouldn't take the pill or the genetic fix that would cure it? Those that wouldn't take such a cure are the same ones that don't take vaccinations now and wouldn't be allowed to serve on a Federation Starship.
Fatness like Downs syndrome will eventually be a thing of the past.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Nm

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-23-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for wishing me and people like out of any acting jobs on our favorite show.

Thanks for making it clear that you prefer a show in which we are non-existent it invisible. Thatís not just a hypothetical sci-fi future but also affects our real lives in the present, knowing that people are wishing we just werenít here.