Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2014, 04:53 PM

Movies you've seen recently

I'd like this thread to contain peoples' opinions about films they've seen recently - either because they liked them and wish to recommend them to others or because they didn't like them and wish to warn others to avoid them.

I'd like to start this list off with a wonderful film called "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2278388/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

This film rated 8.2 on IMDB. That is an extremely high rating and I enjoyed it very much. But I've only watched it once and I formed the very strong opinion this film deserves to be watched several times.

In trying to describe this film, I have a real problem. I have no idea how to describe it. It would seem to be part History lesson, part Comedy, part Thought Piece. IMDB describes it as a Comedy. But it is really so much more than that.

The sets and photography is quite possibly the most lush and most beautiful I've seen in a very long time. It easily rivals films like Dr. Zhivago or Marisa Berenson or Lawrence of Arabia. But there is a lot more to it than just the physical beauty. The cast is full of very famous actors. But I only recognized one of them. That is a tribute to the costumes.

I'm sorry that I'm not doing a very good job of describing this movie. But from the moment the film begins, until it ends, I found myself just riveted in my seat. I couldn't have gotten up and left - even if I wanted to.

Oh, Hell! I guess I just want to suggest that you give this film a try. Just watch the first ten minutes or so and if you don't find yourself mesmerised by that, I'll be very surprised.

Anyway, I loved it and hope that you will too. A truly great cast:

Ralph Fiennes, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amalric, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson
and more.

P.S. Edward Norton may well be my most favorite actor of them all.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 09-29-2014 at 04:55 PM.