Old 05-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

My favorite kill from the beta.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM

MFPallytime, a youtube streamer (I watch a lot of his Heroes videos, released a video talking about his opinion on the game, what he likes, dislikes, etc. Plus, it shows him playing Tracer and he is much better than I'll ever be.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:55 PM

I think I've finally figured out what isn't working for me, mentally about this game.

They do all this very impressive character and world building, and then the game is basically "randomly chosen teams of five who shoot each other in an arena, for no reason" - it feels very out of line with all the worldbuilding polish they're putting into it.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, it'd make more sense if there were a hero team and a villain team. There's enough of both that you could still have nice diverse teams with each.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:52 PM

Apparently at least some of Overwatch background was originally developed for an MMO (now cancelled), where it would have made a lot more sense. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_...inment_project)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Apparently at least some of Overwatch background was originally developed for an MMO (now cancelled), where it would have made a lot more sense. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_...inment_project)
Yeah. Apparently they killed it because they just couldn't make it fun. Which is FINE, but they don't seem to be leveraging the assets they saved in a very effective way, I guess.

Though that article doesn't even seem to indicate that the characters and worldbuilding are amoung the stuff salvaged from Titan, so... who knows.

Last edited by Airk; 05-18-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Official Launch Time: 0:00 UTC May 24th aka 7:00 PM EST May 23rd.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
I think I've finally figured out what isn't working for me, mentally about this game.

They do all this very impressive character and world building, and then the game is basically "randomly chosen teams of five who shoot each other in an arena, for no reason" - it feels very out of line with all the worldbuilding polish they're putting into it.
This was a lot less of a problem before I took the time to watch the cinematic trailers. Now I can't really imagine a Tracer and a Widowmaker on the same team. Or hell, Zenyatta and Widowmaker! Talk about dissonance. At least the gameplay is really good, but this game is sort of crying out for some kind of story to pull it all together.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

I have like 3 people who've told me "I'll get it if you get it" and then like another 7 who've said they'll get it if everyone else is getting it, so I guess if I end up getting it, 10 other people will too. Blizzard should give me a free copy.

It's fun, I like it, kinda on the fence about $40, but meh, Blizzard games won't be on sale anytime soon so I may as well grab it now if I'm going to grab it. I guess I probably will.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:06 AM

I'm still on the fence. At the moment I want to see what their development cycle is going to be like. Somebody on Reddit just pointed out that Heroes of the Storm has kept to a new hero every 3-4 weeks for a full year. That's done a lot to keep the game fresh.

Overwatch obviously can't pump out characters at that rate, but hopefully they've got something in mind for keeping things from getting too static. Unless their target market is the same group of people who have been playing de_dust for the last 15 years, in which case I'm out of luck.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:17 AM

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with it, though I can see why it'll be popular. But, I already have it (figured I'd probably buy it anyway so I may as well get Tracer for HoTS) and if other people are playing I'll definitely play.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Alright alright minions, I went ahead and ordered it, so you can order it too if you want to be one of the cool kids.

Make sure you get the $40 regular edition, Blizzard defaults to the $60 edition with the extra cosmetics. I mean, grab that if you want, but be aware there's a $40 version.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Launch is tomorrow at 4pm pacific, you can preload now. A lot of us are getting it, probably enough to fill up a private game if we want to do that. It's best to connect with me on steam since I'm always there and only sometimes on battle.net, but contact me either way if you want in.

SenorBeef#1394 on battle.net, just SenorBeef on steam.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Launch is tomorrow at 4pm pacific, you can preload now. A lot of us are getting it, probably enough to fill up a private game if we want to do that. It's best to connect with me on steam since I'm always there and only sometimes on battle.net, but contact me either way if you want in.

SenorBeef#1394 on battle.net, just SenorBeef on steam.
EU or USA server? I'm getting it too, and I'd love to find a regular group to play with. I just happen to be in Germany, and this isn't a game like Hearthstone where you can get away with playing mostly with people on the other side of the world. :P
Old 05-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

We're all in the USA. You could try to play across the world, but that approach has some significant technical drawbacks. I'm not sure if Blizzard allows you to switch region freely or what.

I found some information on ranked mode. The good - they don't treat assault and defense as being two independent, unrelated runs. The bad - they don't do the obvious thing like I said and flip the map and start the countdown from the amount of time the other team took to win. Rather, you play attack/defense and if you each win one, you get a sudden death king of the hill over one control point. Better than nothing, but less than ideal. It's going to come down to that sudden death a lot.

Also, I was hoping that competitive mode would mean 1 player per class/hero. I would be okay if casual was unlimited, but ranked mode enforced it, but it doesn't. Seems like it'd be easier to balance the game around 1 player per hero anyway, and seems like something obvious that should be enforced in a ranked game.

Also, their ranking system is dumb:

Quote:
Competitive Play features four distinct tiers: Challenger, Advanced, Expert, and Master. Each tier also has five divisions, ranked 1 through 5. Challenger 1 is the lowest tier and division (all players will begin here) and Master 5 is the highest tier and division. To progress, you'll need to earn a specific amount of points. You’ll gain points for winning competitive matches and, depending on the which tier you're in, lose points for being defeated. The number of points awarded or deducted varies depending on the tier and the specific win/loss condition.
So it has a Hearthstone-like "rank" system where it's about grinding your way along, not an actual good league-based rank system like every other fucking half-decent game has. Even HOTS, their MOBA, is switching away from a dumb grinding rank system to a league system, and yet they make the same mistake with their new game.

Oh, sure, they make it seem superficially like a league system - by having leagues and ranks within those leagues - but reading the description it's basically like Hearthstone. You get a fixed amount of points for winning, a fixed amount for losing, bonus points for a win streak, everyone starts at the basic rank and has to grind their way up.

And... I didn't read the entire page before I wrote that. Yep:

Quote:
Competitive Play in Overwatch is designed to be seasonal, with progression (including divisions, tiers, ranks, and eventually leaderboards) resetting on the first day of every month.
So they're basically using Hearthstone with divisions instead of ranks 25-1 to make it sound like it actually has a decent ladder system like csgo or rocket league or dota/lol or what HOTS will become.

I can't believe they're repeating Hearthstone's monthly grind ladder system for a shooter.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

The critical issue I forgot to mention is:

Will this have an mmr-based matchmaking system, but only have the façade of an artificial progression system on top of that, sort of like the current HOTS system? Or will your matchmaking rating actually be your monthly-resetting level like Hearthstone? Which would be an utter disaster because it would match people up who were very different in skill level based on how much they played that month.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Wow, a new season every month? That doesn't sound like nearly enough time to sort the playerbase. It might work OK at the highest levels, where everyone is playing 15 hours a day, but all casual players are going to be indistinguishable from each other.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:55 PM
BANNED

Why can first-person games not implement a third-person play perspective option as standard?

I - any many others, it must be said - despise being forced to play in the 'disembodied arms' view for the entirety of a game. If we want to aim / use "iron sights", we'll do so. But why must we traverse environments, suffering the myriad shortcomings inherent with this restrictive perspective, doing without the actions that are standard for the TP variety of games (cover, evasion, rolling etc.), just to appease the copy-paste mantra of this cancerously ubiquitous game genre...??

Moreover, what's the point of character aesthetics when one cannot even see the character they're controlling -- only for others to see?!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:28 PM

It's not just a matter of aesthetics, it's a matter of game design. 3rd-person perspective gives a much broader view of the playing field. Making it a choice means it's no longer a choice at all - players who don't use 3rd-person perspective will be at a consistent disadvantage.

In other words, if you want to play a 3rd-person shooter, go play a 3rd-person shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLemming View Post
this cancerously ubiquitous game genre...??
Man, maybe sounds like something you should avoid altogether...?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLemming View Post
If we want to aim / use "iron sights", we'll do so. But why must we traverse environments, suffering the myriad shortcomings inherent with this restrictive perspective, doing without the actions that are standard for the TP variety of games (cover, evasion, rolling etc.), just to appease the copy-paste mantra of this cancerously ubiquitous game genre...??
So you want to be able to choose to dodge, use cover, and have a wider perspective than everyone else while you play? You think that should be a standard option?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
It's not just a matter of aesthetics, it's a matter of game design. 3rd-person perspective gives a much broader view of the playing field. Making it a choice means it's no longer a choice at all - players who don't use 3rd-person perspective will be at a consistent disadvantage.
This is actually exactly what happened with the new Star Wars Battlefront.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
We're all in the USA. You could try to play across the world, but that approach has some significant technical drawbacks. I'm not sure if Blizzard allows you to switch region freely or what.
They didn't for Hearthstone, and I really wouldn't want to play with that kind of ping anyways. Nuts. Ah well, guess I'll have to look for a Kraut group.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:21 AM

You won't keep your cosmetic items between regions, but that doesn't really matter. Otherwise you can change regions easily.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Launch day went really well. They were about 15 minutes late to launch the game, but once it was, everything went very smoothly. Surprisingly good considering there were probably roughly a billion people playing.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Launch day went really well. They were about 15 minutes late to launch the game, but once it was, everything went very smoothly. Surprisingly good considering there were probably roughly a billion people playing.
I guess they learned from Diablo III. Good on them.

...Anyone else depressed that "Launch day wasn't a complete disaster" isn't a given?

But yeah, this game is taking up a lot of my free time. So much fun. I've fallen in love with Roadhog. Being able to just pick off annoying characters in one quick shot and being a constant threat at the margins because of how impossible it is to kill me? Fun stuff. (Oh yeah, fun fact: if you use Take A Breather, you can just facetank Hanzo's ult. ) Also loving Symmetra - sure, her damage output is blech and have fun landing anything, but just getting and keeping one teleporter can be an absolute game-changer.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:50 AM

My wife got me to try it this weekend and I ended up purchasing it. We got a few 5-6 person groups together and we've had a lot of fun so far. As nearly everyone everywhere has already said, it feels a lot like TF2. Not a ton of actual content, but polished to brilliance. I hope they add new maps and game modes in a few months, or it will face the same problem as TF2, where some people will get bored with the repetition and lose interest.

I like how there are a wide range of characters with more specialized abilities than TF2. There's a lot more options to accommodate different play styles. Each play type has at least two characters I feel comfortable with, and I've only been playing for two days. I can easily switch types to fill gaps in the team. The little notices on the character select screen about team deficiencies are also great, as they get people to make decisions based on team welfare rather than personal glory.

The replay system was a great idea. It gives you something to do while you wait to respawn. It helps you learn from your mistakes better, and reveals information about the enemy team, which forces everyone to keep changing up their tactics. A sniper or turret can't just camp in one spot and rack up a ton of kills, because the replays give away their position.

I will probably be playing too much of this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post

Lastly, the whole experience/loot box thing is stupid. If it was free to play, that'd be one thing, but if I'm gonna be charged $40 they could have all the sprays/voice lines/poses etc unlocked from the start. I agree with Johnny Bravo that having it at least be tied to the character you're playing would be a nice start.
You know, I'm no fan of the loot boxes, I just don't really care about them, but I still sort of disagree with this. Blizzard is all about releasing new content for free (see Diablo II and III, with all their game-changing patches). The loot is uninteresting to me, but they've implemented it similarly to how Valve did TF2, and that worked out well for them for a very long time. Granted, TF2 was free-to-play by then, but still.

If you don't care about the loot, like me, then just enjoy the game. The people who care enough to spend an extra $20 on the game for the "Origins" cosmetic stuff, or to spend extra money on loot boxes, are the ones subsidizing the additional content that is surely to come. It's "pay to put stickers on your character" not "pay to win", and I'm OK with that.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 AM

Missed the edit window. I also appreciate how Blizzard is only charging $40 for the game, and the normal $60 for the limited edition cosmetic stuff. The game is a bit light on actual content, so $40 seems right, but they toss in a few bonuses to people willing to pay the $60 that's expected for Triple-A games these days.

If EA was publishing this game, the base game would have been $60 and the "deluxe" edition would have been $90. Not to mention the $30 Season Pass that would have entitled users to the next six months of added content, which Blizzard will probably be releasing for free.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
I like how there are a wide range of characters with more specialized abilities than TF2. There's a lot more options to accommodate different play styles. Each play type has at least two characters I feel comfortable with, and I've only been playing for two days. I can easily switch types to fill gaps in the team. The little notices on the character select screen about team deficiencies are also great, as they get people to make decisions based on team welfare rather than personal glory.
Another design decision that really shows this off? Not displaying everyone's K/D. Nobody cares if you've gone 5-1 running around the back with McCree, get on the point. Nobody cares if you've gone 2-7 with Reinhardt; you stuck with the payload for 80% of the time it was there. It's all about what you can do for your team and the objective, and the game is really great about that.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like they're trying to do the same thing for team shooters that they did for MOBAs in HotS: Focusing more on teamwork and good sportsmanship, and less on individual braggadocio. Good on them, and if only more companies would follow suit.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I guess they learned from Diablo III. Good on them.

...Anyone else depressed that "Launch day wasn't a complete disaster" isn't a given?

But yeah, this game is taking up a lot of my free time. So much fun. I've fallen in love with Roadhog. Being able to just pick off annoying characters in one quick shot and being a constant threat at the margins because of how impossible it is to kill me? Fun stuff. (Oh yeah, fun fact: if you use Take A Breather, you can just facetank Hanzo's ult. ) Also loving Symmetra - sure, her damage output is blech and have fun landing anything, but just getting and keeping one teleporter can be an absolute game-changer.
Symmetra is one of my top killers. Sentry turrets ftw!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 AM

I picked it up because a critical mass of real-life friends have been playing it, so I can be fairly well guaranteed a party at any given moment.

It's about as much fun as it was in beta. I still have the same problem with a lack of progression, but for the time being I'm enjoying myself.

There's an article floating around about how they're trying to tweak the Play of the Game hueristics to not always give it to Bastion or McCree or Reaper or Junkrat in the middle of a well-placed ult. I hope to see that happen soon, though the current setup does make things that much sweeter when I get a PotG for storming into an enclosed space with Reinhart and laying about like a robot John Henry.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 06-01-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:09 PM

So... is there a consistent Doper Group of players out there? Ie: I'm enjoying this game, but is there interesting in forming an OverDopers Group to play games with (as I find playing random games without friends isn't as satisfying)?

-R
Old 06-01-2016, 03:49 PM

We've mostly been posting our Battle IDs on this and other threads. Is there a way to make groups on Battle.net like there is on Steam?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
We've mostly been posting our Battle IDs on this and other threads. Is there a way to make groups on Battle.net like there is on Steam?
You can become all friends together, then when you see you're on at the same time, form a group for that session. I don't think there's a way to create a persistent group across play sessions though.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:39 PM

BTW I just changed my battletag. I am now SingularThey#1584.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 PM

Alright people: what do I need to know to play this, coming from TF2?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
Don't be afraid to switch character depending on what you need (be advised that, should you switch, you lose your ult progress).

Mercy plays a lot like Medic.
Torbjorn (turret guy) plays a lot like Engineer (obvi).

Listen carefully. The sound is very helpful. You can hear people behind you and, more importantly, you can hear ults going off. If you here "It's high noon" that means McCree is going to ult.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
The ults are probably the most substantial change. There's even a button which communicates the status of your ult to the rest of the team (with a percentage if it's not fully charged). They're designed such that they work great if used with player discretion, but coordinating offensive ults with the team is a common strategy to get more bang for your buck. As RandMcnally already pointed out, learning to recognize friendly and enemy ults is an important skill, so you can push or retreat accordingly.

There's a practice vs. AI mode which puts you on a team of human players with all AI opponents. It's a good way to familiarize yourself with a character and their abilities in a lower-pressure environment.

The addition of the Tank subset is also major difference from TF2. Tank characters are designed to absorb a lot of damage. Reinhardt is probably the easiest one to pick up. Throw up his shield on the point or the payload and your teammates will get behind it.

One more neat addition I wish TF2 had: character specific control options. If you go to the Controls menu, there's a drop down to select "All Heroes" or specific ones. Some of the individual heroes have special options. E.g. Reinhardt's shield, Mercy's medigun, and Widowmaker's sniper rifle can each be set to toggle instead of hold. For me, that made playing all three of them way easier on my wrist.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Ok guys. I need to know - is Overwatch worth getting into as a solo player?

Basically, I'm not really a FPS person, the only real FPS I liked was Pyro (and sometimes Demo) in TF2. It's been a long time, though.

I've been watching videos of people playing overwatch, and it looks intriguing. But I'm not sure if it's $40 to give it a try kind of intriquing, especially since I don't have friends that I could play with, and I'll never be able to be great at FPS (time and talent don't favor me unfortunately).

Still.... Roadhog, Symmetra and D.Va really, really intrigue me.

Talk to me. Should I take out the wallet?
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 PM

If it were me, I wouldn't. As I said above, I waited until I knew I had a healthy "stable" of friends to play with before picking up the game. I can't play more than a match or two by myself before getting bored and irritated.

That's the case for all FPS games, though, and isn't Overwatch specific. If you have played and enjoyed any other shooters as a solo online experience (especially TF2), I think you will enjoy this.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:14 PM

I have found Overwatch to be relatively more conducive to solo play, even though the mechanics suggest this shouldn't be so given the small teams and emphasis on objectives. Compared to Counterstrike, the need for team cooperation is much lower. This could be a function of my level. Even so, I've mostly played solo so far and had a blast.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 PM

I've been playing a lot more and I mostly play solo. I'm still liking it. Most people understand the core objectives, rarely do I go a match without a support, and every once and a while I"ll get a team who uses voice to great effect.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Ok. I just went for it, and it's been a blast so far.

Sadly, D.Va doesn't seem to be working out for me. It might just be a function of me being in the potato leagues, but I just don't see her kit working. Low damage, (kinda) high health pool, high mobility, no sustain, 3 seconds of team protection.... when would I want a D.va over say a Reinheart for pushing through chokes or a dedicated flanker?

I'm also sure this is because I'm in the potato leagues, but when I ult, everyone just seems to take a 5 second time out... including my own team. Like, I made some space for you, get on the point arggh
Old 06-08-2016, 07:42 PM

D.va isn't for pushing through chokes like Reinhardt. They have very different playstyles. D.va's role is to fly into the backline, get right up on squishies, and use her sustain to kill them before they can kill her. Then she runs away and does it all again.

She's one of my favorites! Here's a pretty good video explaining how to use her. I agree that her ult is problematic - everyone has learned to avoid it now and it's pretty tough to get kills with it. You pretty much have to use it for making space, and if you get a kill that's just a bonus.

She's also a bit squishy at the moment, but she's got a minor (still undisclosed) buff coming in.

The thing to remember about Overwatch is that even within the four roles, most of the characters still have very different playstyles.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 06-08-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. So I should play her more like Pyro than Heavy is what I'm hearing? I.. actually really like that.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 PM

She's a heavier, slower Tracer.

Zarya's more of a support than a tank.

Winston's more like D.Va than Reinhart.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 AM

I've been doing a fair bit of D.Va, not in the potato leagues. Heavy Tracer is pretty much it. The thrusters are extremely good mobility, and on a short cooldown. You can get anywhere, harass people, get out, grab a fat healthpack, and wash/rinse/repeat. While thrusters are on, you deal contact damage to and knock people around, so you can get people off ledges and split up clusters.

Cockpit shots are the thing to be scared of. A high DPS character puts you down fast if you're facing them, so avoid that if you're not blasting their face off. Know where the big healthpacks are on the maps, and abuse them heavily. The massive armor pool means you outright dominate Winston & low-power Zarya, and does alright vs Rein, so feel free to bully other tanks if they get stranded.

At close range, her damage isn't shabby, and even from moderate range, not having to reload means it adds up fast. Getting on a perch behind the enemy team and pelting the heads of squishies is a good way of making them hide or die. You shouldn't expect to solo kill people 100-0, but diving onto Mercy or Lucio during a fight is often a tough thing for the enemy to deal with.

She also buddies up well with other harassers. You roll with, say, Genji, and you can use defense matrix to eat the things that usually kill them, like sniper shots, scatter arrows, flashbang-fan combos, and followup shots after a hook. Devouring the occasional Pharah/McCree/Roadhog/Tracer ult is always a win too, save the cooldown if you know one's coming up.

D.Va's ult should not be expected to kill anything, but the saving grace is that you can activate it even while you're already getting forcibly ejected, so it's effectively an instant mech button that also makes the spacing you need for the calldown.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Zarya's more of a support than a tank.
Zarya is absolutely a tank, she's just a peek/artillery tank rather than claiming territory like Rein. She has as much HP in her self-regenerating shields alone as most characters have total HP, and the barrier is another 200 HP on a short CD (and CC immunity). As long as you're able to make contact in short bursts and break it regularly, Zarya is very durable. She's a god at busting static defenses.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Peek tank. That's an interesting way to think about it. Would have solved an issue where the opposing team went 5 Torb and turreted up the first chokepoint on Anubis - just shield on, take damage, melt turrets.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:32 AM

Has everyone else here tried Symmetra? She's actually kind of great - completely murders Tracer, Genji, Widowmaker, Hanzo, Torbjorn, Junkrat, and a whole bunch of other really obnoxious characters. Can actually go even at close range with Reaper. No, I'm not kidding - most reapers I run into just die at close range, because her left click is ridiculously powerful.

Oh, and the teleporter. The teleporter is such a nutty piece of support equipment it's not even funny. Better on some maps than others, but if you're playing defense, the ability to shave 30-60 seconds off the time it takes your team to get back to the fight can be absolutely devastating.

I can't get the hang of Zarya. I always keep dying, and can never collect enough energy for my attacks to do any decent damage. What am I doing wrong?