Old 08-05-2016, 03:10 PM

That UI makes me think this is going to be yet another game where the Steam Controller is going to shine. First person and UI goodness on the pad + left analog for roll and pitch and gyro for yaw.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-05-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
That UI makes me think this is going to be yet another game where the Steam Controller is going to shine. First person and UI goodness on the pad + left analog for roll and pitch and gyro for yaw.
I sure hope so. I actually got the Steam Link and Steam Controller with NMS in mind- I'm really looking forward to the versatility of playing the game on my PC, but streaming it to my 70" 4K TV and playing the game from my couch.

So far I really only use the Controller to turn on the Link, I'm hoping to find a good game for it.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
You asked everyone if you should get the PC version, then acknowledged that would be better, but then talked yourself into the PS4 version. But.. TV! Couch!

So you were told that your PC does fine on your TV and couch too, so hey, best of all worlds, right? So you made up... but.... what about gamepad support? Even though like 95% of all multiplat games in the last decade have had the same gamepad support on all platforms.

So it just seems weird that you asked people for advice, all of your concerns were addressed, but then you insisted on making up reasons to make the wrong choice anyway. What was the point of sharing that whole exercise and asking us to participate?

Incidentally, when people say "oh this game is a shitty console port", that doesn't mean the PC version is worse. There are probably like less than a dozen cases in hundreds of games where the PC version is actually worse. The problem is that it's not better on PC by the margin we expect. Somehow people conclude "well, it's only 30% better on PC instead of the expected 120%. It must be really shitty to play on pc! I'll play on console!"
This right here is a shining example as to why Kessler and I *loathed* playing video games with you.

It was literally the worst. It was like that conversation we had about the 770 graphics card I bought.

Normal person: Oh cool man, glad you got an upgrade.
You: LOL WHY NOT GET THIS OR THAT, THEY BOTH PROVIDE PROVIDE A MINIMAL GAIN OF 8.4% OVER THE 770 IN EVERY BENCHMARK CATEGORY FOR $28.87 LESS USING AN AGGREGATE OF ONLINE SELLERS!

Nauseating. That's the word I would use. We still laugh about you to this day.

I'll take my warning or whatever. Worth it.

Last edited by elninost0rm; 08-06-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:19 AM

Man, some of the comments on the youtube vids are hilarious. Bunch of console gamers suddenly figuring out this is not in fact filled with cutscenes, does not runs on rails, does not feature a heart warming, direct to DVD caliber story of a man and his son/daughter/ward.

I know Sony pulled all the stops for this game, but the devs never said it was anything other than what it is. A prettier, more complex Terreria.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-06-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninost0rm View Post
This right here is a shining example as to why Kessler and I *loathed* playing video games with you.

It was literally the worst. It was like that conversation we had about the 770 graphics card I bought.

You: LOL WHY NOT GET THIS OR THAT, THEY BOTH PROVIDE PROVIDE A MINIMAL GAIN OF 8.4% OVER THE 770 IN EVERY BENCHMARK CATEGORY FOR $28.87 LESS USING AN AGGREGATE OF ONLINE SELLERS!

That's a mighty big chip on your shoulder there my man.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Mod Note

Quote:

This is getting too personal and harsh for me not to say something. Take whatever history you have out of this thread and either to the Pit or PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Weird. What a masochist Kessler must've been to want to play every game I played for like 5 years if he absolutely loathed it. As for you, who cares? No one even remembers who you are.

I don't remember that conversation, but that doesn't sound like me at all. A friend of mine just got a brand new 1070 like 3 days ago and my reaction was "oh, cool"

You sound like a teenage girl with the "It was Literally. The. Worst." stuff, and talking about how you still laugh about me years later for bizarre reasons. If what I posted was OMG LITERALLY TOTALLY THE WORST and the sort of thing you'll still laugh about years down the road, you must have an incredibly dull life.

The guy talked about deciding between the PC and PS4 versions like he was asking for advice and voicing concerns. Every time he'd say "well I know it'll be better on PC, but couch! tv!" and so we addressed those concerns with "here's how to play it on pc via your couch and TV", and then he said "but... gamepad!" and we addressed concerned by saying that pretty much every game has the same gamepad support that the consoles do right out of the box. And then he said "well... uh yeah, but console anyway!" - what was the whole point of his whole monologue and voicing concerns if he was just going to ignore that his concerns were baseless all along and choose one option anyway? Just seemed silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
This is getting too personal and harsh for me not to say something. Take whatever history you have out of this thread and either to the Pit or PM.
Top notch moderating. A few months ago a new guy to the boards who was clearly toxic insulted me out of the blue (and was banned almost immediately) over post count, and when I turned his own logic around on him with a very mild response in the same vein, instant warning.

But here's a guy, out of the blue, who I haven't insulted at all, who comes attacking with very personal insults and then essentially acknowledges he's going to get a warning for going way over the line, and no warning. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I should've taken that last part to ATMB. My bad.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:49 PM

I don't like my Steam Link too much, I find the input and stream delay to be too much . I have it on a wired connection, but I've had issues numerous times with me repeatedly failing at timing-sensitive challenges (like dodging some Dark Souls 3 bosses or consistently parrying in MGR:R) and instantly succeeding as soon as I move over to my monitor. Obviously I got some practice in while playing on the TV, but it's happened that exact way so frequently it's hard to attribute it to anything other than a combination of display and input lag. I don't think I even have it on highest quality streaming.

It would probably be fine for NMS since it doesn't look like it will require too many twitch skills, but some action games got really subtly obnoxious on it.

Last edited by Jragon; 08-07-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:30 PM

You can turn on the debug display on the link which will give you latency readings from network and display.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

No Man's Sky 1.03

That is not minor, it sounds like they remade a significant portion of the game.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
No Man's Sky 1.03

That is not minor, it sounds like they remade a significant portion of the game.
...I think its important to bear this in mind: getting a game certified means there is always a good chance of a big Day 1 patch being necessary.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...I think its important to bear this in mind: getting a game certified means there is always a good chance of a big Day 1 patch being necessary.
Read that this morning. Interesting read on how things work for developers trying to get their game out.

The amount of sheer insanity on the Steam forums over a three day delay to the PC release is mind-boggling in its infantile whinning.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

While I don't endorse that at all, and people are super entitled, if you have a game where some of the appeal is to be the first to discover things before anyone else does, you should really make an effort to launch on all platforms at the same time.

it's unlikely to actually matter, with an incomprehensibly large amount of planets it's unlikely people will run into each other's stuff, let alone in the first 3 days, but a part of the appeal to people is "be the first to discover stuff and name it!" in which case a 3 day delay would suck some of the fun out of it.

Edit: I'm assuming discoveries are shared cross-platform but I guess that may not be the case.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 08-08-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Pope View Post
Read that this morning. Interesting read on how things work for developers trying to get their game out.

The amount of sheer insanity on the Steam forums over a three day delay to the PC release is mind-boggling in its infantile whinning.
Yeah the whining is deafening.

At the same time I see that in this particular game it kinda might matter.

But meh, the main dev tweeted about it over the weekend saying he was int he office implementing 21:9 support for PC.

I'm happy with that.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The guy talked about deciding between the PC and PS4 versions like he was asking for advice and voicing concerns. Every time he'd say "well I know it'll be better on PC, but couch! tv!" and so we addressed those concerns with "here's how to play it on pc via your couch and TV", and then he said "but... gamepad!" and we addressed concerned by saying that pretty much every game has the same gamepad support that the consoles do right out of the box. And then he said "well... uh yeah, but console anyway!" - what was the whole point of his whole monologue and voicing concerns if he was just going to ignore that his concerns were baseless all along and choose one option anyway? Just seemed silly.
Well seeing as I have been mentioned.

I am still not sold on streaming over the network, from what I have read it is good but not perfect. Hell, someone in this thread has said himself he has issues. I don't have a Steam Link and so would have to buy one. My Graphic Card is ageing (66ti) and so would possibly have to replace that. Suddenly it is all getting a bit more complex and expensive.

According to Steam the game has "Partial Gamepad Support". I'm guessing that means the main controls are on a pad but you'll have to go to the mouse and keyboard for certain things, but as of right now no one knows.

I would have written this, but you were acting like a child and so I decided to duck out of the thread instead.

Last edited by amanset; 08-08-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
Well seeing as I have been mentioned.

I am still not sold on streaming over the network, from what I have read it is good but not perfect. Hell, someone in this thread has said himself he has issues. I don't have a Steam Link and so would have to buy one. My Graphic Card is ageing (66ti) and so would possibly have to replace that. Suddenly it is all getting a bit more complex and expensive.

According to Steam the game has "Partial Gamepad Support". I'm guessing that means the main controls are on a pad but you'll have to go to the mouse and keyboard for certain things, but as of right now no one knows.

I would have written this, but you were acting like a child and so I decided to duck out of the thread instead.
Hopefully responding to some of your concerns won't get me labeled a child

Your original post had "better performance on PC" as a plus, but although your 660ti is still a good GPU (@2.4 TFLOPS of performance you're only 15% slower than the PS4) it is a slower GPU than the PS4. The rest of your pluses for the PS4 were all about playing on your TV vs on a monitor - and Beef's reply to you was basiclaly, hey you can play on your TV on PC too.

Not sure why that upset you.

In terms of performance your CPU might be able to put you over the top, though I don't know what you have. Partial controller support usually means that there's a launcher involved (WHY GOD WHY?). But in a lot of cases that can also be navigable with a gamepad (you usually can just hit A).

If you already own a PS4 and considering a 660ti is a bit weaker than it, I would either go PS4, or maybe I would try the PC version on for size.

Remember, unlike Sony, Valve offers refunds for digital purchases, so long as it's within 2 weeks of purchase, and you've played for under 2 hours.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:33 AM

As for streaming, your network will be the deciding factor. I've got a pretty darn good router, and my PC isn't too far from my TV, so I typically end up with less than 20 millisecond latency and that feels good in most games when using a gamepad. Capping to 30 FPS can help in some as well (you're essentially playing a console game at that point in terms of latency except with solid 30 FPS + better graphics - well assuming you've got the hardware for it, which you currently don't).

Just remember to turn Game mode on your TV or whatever mode disables all picture manipulation by the TV, as that adds latency. The first time I tried steamlink I was about to return it, when I realized that I had motion interpolate turned on. It was like night and day.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Hopefully responding to some of your concerns won't get me labeled a child

Your original post had "better performance on PC" as a plus, but although your 660ti is still a good GPU (@2.4 TFLOPS of performance you're only 15% slower than the PS4) it is a slower GPU than the PS4. The rest of your pluses for the PS4 were all about playing on your TV vs on a monitor - and Beef's reply to you was basiclaly, hey you can play on your TV on PC too.

Not sure why that upset you.
It didn't. I got fed up with people that just couldn't deal with the fact that someone may prefer to sit in front of a large TV with surround sound to play. Even the "solution" (Steam Link) is not perfect, as someone in this very thread who owns one said, as well as costing even more money.

And then there were the "guarantees" about performance issues whilst ignoring problems that PC has had with games that have been on console first.

I just got bored of the conversation and went back to NeoGAF where people can discuss PS4 and PC in the same thread without it becoming a my platform is better than yours shit show.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It didn't. I got fed up with people that just couldn't deal with the fact that someone may prefer to sit in front of a large TV with surround sound to play. Even the "solution" (Steam Link) is not perfect, as someone in this very thread who owns one said, as well as costing even more money.

And then there were the "guarantees" about performance issues whilst ignoring problems that PC has had with games that have been on console first.

I just got bored of the conversation and went back to NeoGAF where people can discuss PS4 and PC in the same thread without it becoming a my platform is better than yours shit show.
I'm not sure what you were hoping for when asking which platform to play the game on, except people telling you why one platform might be better than the other to play the game on. :/

Everyone's setup and preferences are different, and we can only opine on what we know.

What I know is that my PC gaming experience trumps any console ones I've had. I give you the facts and my opinions and you decide if my experiences are likely to match yours or if they are the very opposite of what you like.

No need to take any sort of umbrage, IMHO.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-08-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:03 AM

Huh... apparently Sony is now issuing copyright strikes on youtube videos DISCUSSING No Man's sky. Not showing pre-release footage, but merely discussing the game...

That's a new one.

Please let this game be good!

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-08-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It didn't. I got fed up with people that just couldn't deal with the fact that someone may prefer to sit in front of a large TV with surround sound to play.
By telling you that you could play PC games on your big TV, I couldn't deal with the fact that you wanted to play games on a big TV? That doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
The only recent game I can think of that actually performs worse on PC than console is Batman Arkham Knight. Most of the time people complain about a bad PC port, it's because they didn't add the extra things above and beyond the console version that PC players expect. Or because it performs exactly like the console version when it shouldn't. For example, a few PC ports are locked at 30 FPS because that's what the console version is limited to and no one bothered to change it. But that doesn't mean the experience is somehow worse than the console version - people would be disappointed that it was the same, when it should be better. But that doesn't mean the console version is better. The same experience that's the norm for a lot of console games feels limiting/broken in PC games.

Quote:
You were the one who introduced the idea that you wanted to play on PC because of the better performance, but that you couldn't decide because you didn't know if you wanted to pick performance over your couch/tv. I was trying to be helpful by saying that isn't a dilemma and you could have the best of both worlds. I don't even know how you read some sort of platform elitism into that, I was telling you that you had an option that you might not know about.

I must've heard a few hundred times in my life "oh you play racing/fighting/platformer games on pc? that's weird. doesn't playing with a keyboard suck?" from people who don't know you can use whatever controls you want to play on PC, including the same gamepads they use for their consoles. So I tell them they can. Is that elitist? Similarly, if people say "but my couch is better than my desk!", shouldn't I tell you them that there are multiple ways to connect your PC to the same TV anyway? They probably don't actually know and this gives them a solution they didn't have before.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Huh... apparently Sony is now issuing copyright strikes on youtube videos DISCUSSING No Man's sky. Not showing pre-release footage, but merely discussing the game...

That's a new one.

Knowing google/youtube's "just take down anything requested" behavior, that's really shitty if people get some commentary videos taken down. Dick move by Sony.

Not usually a good sign to try to keep discussion under wraps pre-release. I guess maybe they were trying to get the early version footage off and are casting too wide a net?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:

That's a new one.

It looks like a good indie game to me, which is going to disappoint most people who are paying 60 dollars for it.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:54 AM

Whatever.

I explained my position. I only posted as someone directly referenced me. I've now explained the cost involved. I've explained that frankly, from what I have read and from someone in this very thread, streaming from PC to a device like Steam Link isn't perfect. hell, I've even said that I am mainly a PC gamer except for exclusives.

And yes, I own a 360 pad connected to my PC that I have used for games (most recently Elite Dangerous).

I gave a further example of a bad port. I mentioned that Japanese developers are famous for this, showing that there are further examples. But it won't matter, you'll just want one more.

But apparently this isn't enough. The PC is clearly best. You are right. how stupid of me to not see this. All the worries and shortcomings, especially of the proposed solution of streaming, are pointless.

So fuck it, whatever. As I said, back to NeoGAF where this shit doesn't happen because adults act like adults.

Last edited by amanset; 08-08-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The PC is clearly best.
I can't argue with this

SPOILER:
consoles are fine too

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-08-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 PM

Lots of people getting their hands on the PS4 version. Looks like PC gamers will indeed be waiting a couple of extra days.

It's 30 FPS on PS4, not 60 as the dev was targetting, and as I figured would be the case.

It also doesn't look like it's 1080p. Or the AA they are using is kind of heavy handed, 'cause it looks a bit blurry:

http://i.imgur.com/rzRlCFZ.jpg

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-08-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:05 PM

Woot! We're getting separate fields of view settings for flight and FPS modes on PC!

Won't be a midnight release on Friday, they're still working on the PC version and patch, closer to 6 pm GMT.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
While I don't endorse that at all, and people are super entitled, if you have a game where some of the appeal is to be the first to discover things before anyone else does, you should really make an effort to launch on all platforms at the same time.

it's unlikely to actually matter, with an incomprehensibly large amount of planets it's unlikely people will run into each other's stuff, let alone in the first 3 days, but a part of the appeal to people is "be the first to discover stuff and name it!" in which case a 3 day delay would suck some of the fun out of it.
I agree. Personally, I'd rather they got the game out on all platforms simultaneously; I don't give a shit about 21:9 support or consistent 60fps at high resolution or whatever the hell it is they're dicking around with right now for the PC version. - especially because they've always intended to do one; it's not a last-minute thing that someone in a suit has sprung on them unexpectedly.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
I agree. Personally, I'd rather they got the game out on all platforms simultaneously; I don't give a shit about 21:9 support or consistent 60fps at high resolution or whatever the hell it is they're dicking around with right now for the PC version. - especially because they've always intended to do one; it's not a last-minute thing that someone in a suit has sprung on them unexpectedly.
Hey! I have a 21:9 monitor and I want my 60 FPS! How dare you sir!
Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Hey! I have a 21:9 monitor and I want my 60 FPS! How dare you sir!
And I want to play No Man's Sky on my computer from the same launch time as all those filthy casual console peasants people who own a PlayStation 4. So it seems we have an impasse.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:29 AM

The Australian Broadcasting Co show Good Game has a review copy of the game (on PS4), and their host Nich put it up on Twitch. You can see a recording here. Note that the video actually starts about 5 minutes in.

Last edited by galen ubal; 08-09-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
More generally, I wish we'd get rid of the culture in which we think it's normal and expected that they're working for 24/7 and cramming up until literally the last minute to release the game in a usable state. I know this is ususally on the publishers rather than the developers, but it seems like the majority of games are like "okay guys, we'll live at the office for the last month and work 100 hour weeks to try to make sure the game works at launch"

In this case I think it's an even greater tactical mistake because I'm sure a significant portion of the people who are willing to preorder this game for $60 or order on day one are doing so out with the drive to be one of the first people out there exploring and naming things, so any delay is unusually painful.

Then again I have no idea if all platforms work from the same database. I would assume so, since there's no technical reason that can't happen and it adds to the sense of a massive universe.

Doesn't matter to me, since if I get it it'll be 6+ months down the road at 1/4 or less the price. If their description of how it works is accurate, it shouldn't even matter - the universe is so big I'm unlikely to encounter many named planets even 6+ months into release. Unless as someone else mentioned, using 2^64 as a seed number doesn't mean there are that many equally-visitable planets and they have methods for steering people into the same areas.

Incidentally, I feel like I'm more likely to get this game now. It looked a little boring to me, running around on the planets and gathering stuff most of the time - like a fun novelty but not something you'd do for a long time - but I've been playing Ark all week basically doing exactly that and having fun with it.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:18 AM

The devs stated that Ps4 and PC won't share a universe server. The universe seed is the exact same though, so it'll be two separate copies of the same universe.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:32 PM

Somebody mentioned above that anything you do on a planet goes away as soon as you leave. Cam anyone confirm? This is very disappointing news to me.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like planets essentially come into existing as the player's sphere of activity comes near them, and then go back into dormancy/reset after the player leaves. So no, any terraforming or other changes just disappear and the planet is fresh and new if anyone else discovers it.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 08-09-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
It sounds like planets essentially come into existing as the player's sphere of activity comes near them, and then go back into dormancy/reset after the player leaves. So no, any terraforming or other changes just disappear and the planet is fresh and new if anyone else discovers it.
That makes no sense. What is the point of allowing players to name anything?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

They'll store naming data because that's pretty trivial, but any sort of reshaping/building/etc the player does will be forgotten - whenever anyone finds the planet it will be in the same form as it started.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Somebody mentioned above that anything you do on a planet goes away as soon as you leave. Cam anyone confirm? This is very disappointing news to me.
I don't think that's the case for YOU. Changes you make to the planet are saved locally on your drive, but the planet is recreated from it's seed for other players, in the unlikely case of another player coming upon a planet you've visited.

At least that's the info form an interview within the past couple of months. The only exception to this are things you've discovered and named. Other players will see those (ie. they might stumble unto Straight Dopius Prime, and see the wild horned Beefs and feathered Kinthalis's roaming the countryside), but they won't see a mined out planet, or other changes you've made ot the terrain or resources or life. Everything other than named things will be reset for them.

As mentioned, it's unlikely that you will ever see anything else named, unless they purposely cluster new gamers in general proximity.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-09-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
That makes no sense. What is the point of allowing players to name anything?
So you end up with this.

or, for those who don't like that webcomic:
Quote:
Q: Will PS4 and PC Universes be linked in any way?

A: PS4 and PC players are using two different servers. We are running a control experiment to see who names things the most juvenile things... Let the games begin!

As for persistence...there's still stuff being added, so we'll see.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:29 PM

Has anybody played on the PS4 yet? Should I be buying at release on my PC?

Trying to decide between this and Rimworld this week.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:

As mentioned, it's unlikely that you will ever see anything else named, unless they purposely cluster new gamers in general proximity.
Update 1.03 increases the likelihood of encountering others' planets.

Quote:
Networking Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight
Old 08-09-2016, 04:55 PM

I got the PS4 version as a gift, despite having preordered the Steam version. The game is fun, but you have to ignore all the stupid icons on the screen. There's a huge temptation to just walk back to your ship and fly from waypoint to waypoint, but it sucks pretty much all the fun out of the game. I generally walk if something is under 5 minutes away, and fly otherwise, and I think it improves my enjoyment a lot.

Random thoughts:
  • The survival aspect is trivial. You can get the materials to refuel your life support and ship easily. I got to the point where I was literally selling all of my fuel so I had room for more important stuff because I knew I could find more just by walking for seconds on a random planet.
  • The planets aren't too varied w.r.t. biome. That is, you're not going to get big volcanos on molten planets or anything. It's all pretty much rolling hills and caves. That said, it produces some pretty decent terrain, it just looks like it's the same landscape parameters for every planet type.
  • Combat is awful. I haven't tried ship combat yet, but enemies lack and animation or noises when they get hit, making you wonder if you're actually doing anything.
  • At the beginning before any upgrades, this game is Sim Inventory Manager Deluxe 2016. Just sell off those rare resources, there's too many to hold onto.
  • It becomes clear pretty quickly that the animals are, as Jim Sterling put it, "lego animals". A bunch of prefab pieces smoothed out and perturbed by an algorithm and stuck together. They're still pretty interesting to look at, as long as you accept that.
  • Texture quality is abysmal on PS4, hopefully PC supports some high-def textures (or higher resolution texture generation since I assume that's procedural).
  • Speaking of "lego animals", there's a lot of prefab in this game. Once you've seen a couple bases and a space station, you've seen them all. The landscapes, caves, and animals are procedural. The "setpieces" like ruins and outposts your map waypoints lead you to much less so.

This game is best if you just want something to chill out to and walk around looking for resources. It's not very deep, even compared to Minecraft or the current crop of popular (mostly early access) survival games on Steam. The crafting is almost all "+1 to <X>" stuff. However, it is very stylish and it does art and exploration better than all those games (except arguably Minecraft which has a ton of charm despite its low fidelity). I think PC will be the definitive version assuming they don't totally botch that version, just so long as you can up the texture quality and crank up the draw distance.

Last edited by Jragon; 08-09-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
Trying to decide between this and Rimworld this week.
Rimworld. They're completely different games with a completely different feels to them. But I'm a huge proponent of Rimworld. It's still in early access but immensely playable and the developer is very active with the community.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
I got the PS4 version as a gift, despite having preordered the Steam version. The game is fun, but you have to ignore all the stupid icons on the screen. There's a huge temptation to just walk back to your ship and fly from waypoint to waypoint, but it sucks pretty much all the fun out of the game. I generally walk if something is under 5 minutes away, and fly otherwise, and I think it improves my enjoyment a lot.

Random thoughts:
  • The survival aspect is trivial. You can get the materials to refuel your life support and ship easily. I got to the point where I was literally selling all of my fuel so I had room for more important stuff because I knew I could find more just by walking for seconds on a random planet.
  • The planets aren't too varied w.r.t. biome. That is, you're not going to get big volcanos on molten planets or anything. It's all pretty much rolling hills and caves. That said, it produces some pretty decent terrain, it just looks like it's the same landscape parameters for every planet type.
  • Combat is awful. I haven't tried ship combat yet, but enemies lack and animation or noises when they get hit, making you wonder if you're actually doing anything.
  • At the beginning before any upgrades, this game is Sim Inventory Manager Deluxe 2016. Just sell off those rare resources, there's too many to hold onto.
  • It becomes clear pretty quickly that the animals are, as Jim Sterling put it, "lego animals". A bunch of prefab pieces smoothed out and perturbed by an algorithm and stuck together. They're still pretty interesting to look at, as long as you accept that.
  • Texture quality is abysmal on PS4, hopefully PC supports some high-def textures (or higher resolution texture generation since I assume that's procedural).
  • Speaking of "lego animals", there's a lot of prefab in this game. Once you've seen a couple bases and a space station, you've seen them all. The landscapes, caves, and animals are procedural. The "setpieces" like ruins and outposts your map waypoints lead you to much less so.

This game is best if you just want something to chill out to and walk around looking for resources. It's not very deep, even compared to Minecraft or the current crop of popular (mostly early access) survival games on Steam. The crafting is almost all "+1 to <X>" stuff. However, it is very stylish and it does art and exploration better than all those games (except arguably Minecraft which has a ton of charm despite its low fidelity). I think PC will be the definitive version assuming they don't totally botch that version, just so long as you can up the texture quality and crank up the draw distance.
Yeah this jibes with what I've been seeing on streams.... well, I guess I'll be canceling my pre-order. Will definitely pick up once it's a little cheaper and maybe when there's some more content/variety/mods available

Last edited by Kinthalis; 08-09-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's the case for YOU. Changes you make to the planet are saved locally on your drive, but the planet is recreated from it's seed for other players, in the unlikely case of another player coming upon a planet you've visited.
If that's the case, then there's absolutely no reason for there to be so many planets. What's the point of infinite planets if there's no permanence? You could have gotten the same effect (lots and lots of planets with nothing on them and little likelihood of running into anybody else) with only a few million.

Permanence with that many planets would make coming across somebody else's work very special, and could even create space tourism, provided there was a way to protect work. "Hey, on this particular planet at the ass end of the galaxy, somebody spent a long time building an awesome such and such."

Either way, the first impressions have cooled my interest enough that I won't be considering a purchase until more reviews roll in over the next few weeks.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 08-09-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Apparently two streamers tried to meet up on the same planet. They got to the same place but couldn't see each other. The planets weren't even synced up. One guy saw night and the other saw day. So it would appear that the promises even of the very limited multiplayer are not happening.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:25 AM

I saw that, and a lot of people are very upset about it too, if we were reading the same subreddit.

Funnily enough it doesn't really worry me too much - I suspect it will get added in at some point anyway.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:58 AM

The way they described it is a sort of random local lobby system, where even if other people are around you only see each other if you happen to be in the same "lobby". Of course, god knows if they even tested the functionality, it could be completely broken.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
If that's the case, then there's absolutely no reason for there to be so many planets. What's the point of infinite planets if there's no permanence? You could have gotten the same effect (lots and lots of planets with nothing on them and little likelihood of running into anybody else) with only a few million.

Permanence with that many planets would make coming across somebody else's work very special, and could even create space tourism, provided there was a way to protect work. "Hey, on this particular planet at the ass end of the galaxy, somebody spent a long time building an awesome such and such."

Either way, the first impressions have cooled my interest enough that I won't be considering a purchase until more reviews roll in over the next few weeks.
There's no building in the game, the best you can do is make crude tunnels with grenades and mine minerals. The best you could do is make some Nazca Lines, and even that would be hard. They said they want to add bases in the next update they're working on, but I don't know why. This game is all about going somewhere else. Having a home base is pointless.

Last edited by Jragon; 08-10-2016 at 03:01 AM.