Old 09-15-2016, 08:26 AM

I get the game today! I am pretty hyped up about it. Having to wait till pay day has made me hungry for it. I am going to take all the advice and really get into it tonight after work. I'll try all the characters, I am sure it will be fun.

However, due to others comments I feel that Gengi should be somebody I play once I get the maps down. I don't wanna be the dude who goes assassin DPS and can't do shit.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 PM

Play Genji all you like - just don't go into competitive until you've got a grasp on a spread of characters, since there are no duplicates over there (nor should there be).

Every now and then somebody in chat will say, "Hey, let me play ____, I'm an _____ main." after somebody different picks ______. Then they complain a lot when they don't get to play the one character they're good with, and then we inevitably lose.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

I mean, if you're having fun in QP sure, but my advice would be to learn the maps and team mechanics with someone simpler, and then when you play genji you don't have all that stuff to ALSO learn at the same time.

If you're a big FPS person and have played MMORPGs, you'll probably get the mechanical aspects of the game pretty quick, so just learn the maps and then expand your horizons.

That's how I see it anyway, but if you're having fun diving into the deep end off the bat, go do that instead
Old 09-16-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
I mean, if you're having fun in QP sure, but my advice would be to learn the maps and team mechanics with someone simpler, and then when you play genji you don't have all that stuff to ALSO learn at the same time.

If you're a big FPS person and have played MMORPGs, you'll probably get the mechanical aspects of the game pretty quick, so just learn the maps and then expand your horizons.

That's how I see it anyway, but if you're having fun diving into the deep end off the bat, go do that instead
I took your advice and started with other "simpler" characters first. I had a blast to tell you the truth. I have a lot of exp. with FPS and MMORPG's so i caught on to the game mechanics fairly fast. I ended up tanking most of the night, because everyone wanted to be fucking Bastion.

I ended up finding a party of folks that had mics. They taught me what they thought I needed to know and we played. At first I disliked Roadhog because of his appearance, but quickly changed my mind after using him. I think that it is amazing how different all the characters are and I have a lot to learn still, but having a blast.

I never seem to be on a balanced team, so I am sort of forced to fill in spots. Then all through the game, people are changing their roles and I have to switch again to fill a different gap. I hope that goes away when I eventually make it into competitive.

So no Genji yet. I have to learn the maps first! I am enjoying the game though!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStake View Post
Then all through the game, people are changing their roles and I have to switch again to fill a different gap. I hope that goes away when I eventually make it into competitive.
Class-based shooters are all about counters. Every character in OW is countered (and often HARD countered) by somebody else, so matches can become games of paperrockpaperscissorsscissorsrockrockpaperscissors. On top of that, some characters are better on certain maps than others.

Generally, the characters who need to think about switching like that are the DPS guys. Reinhardt is always a good choice and anyone willing to play a healer is a saint, but if you're playing McCree and the other team brings out a Bastion, you might want to switch to Genji or Pharah.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 09-16-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Class-based shooters are all about counters. Every character in OW is countered (and often HARD countered) by somebody else, so matches can become games of paperrockpaperscissorsscissorsrockrockpaperscissors. On top of that, some characters are better on certain maps than others.

Generally, the characters who need to think about switching like that are the DPS guys. Reinhardt is always a good choice and anyone willing to play a healer is a saint, but if you're playing McCree and the other team brings out a Bastion, you might want to switch to Genji or Pharah.
I 100% agree. I am talking about our healer decides to be dps, so I switch to healer, then my tank switches to defense, so I switch to tank. Then the whole team goes defense and dps then I am sort of stuck tank or healer for the whole team.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 PM

Oh yeah, that crap is the worst. Agreed.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

What generally happens, I've found at mid-level competitive play, is that players tend to switch within a class, rather than out of a class entirely. For example, I usually play tank and sometimes support. If I start off as D.va, and find that a Genji is wrecking our team, I'll switch to Winston. If they then switch to a Reaper and I'm not effective any more, I'll switch back to D.va and play more conservative (boost between vertical spots to throw off reaper and counter harrass their back line) - they now have a Genji AND a Reaper, so they won't have mid-long range DPS (or their tank or support will be weak), so we pick on those points instead.

If I see a Pharah, however, and our team doesn't have any hitscan DPS, I'll call out Pharah and ask if any of our DPS can take care of her. I won't switch to McCree or Soldier myself, because I'm not comfortable enough with them to actually play at my tank level in competitive. If no one switches, I'll kind of "soft counter" her with D.va, but it's not ideal.

If however, we only have 1 support on the draft, I'll volunteer to Mercy. It's very much my secondary, but if no one else on the team even supports as a secondary, you take what you can get.

In the rare cases where switching tanks wouldn't help, I call out my switch expressly. There was a game on Eichenwald, where at the final turn on the defence (just after attack broke the door) I realised that my D.va just wasn't doing anything and my team was getting rolled. We already had a Reinhardt, and none of the other tanks seemed appropriate at the moment. So I called out that I wasn't doing anything as D.va, and was switching to Junkrat. Junkrat is pretty low mechanical skill, and as long as you know enough to stand on the high ground and spam the chokes and minejump to the high balcony, you'll be fine. I had to warn my team, though, as now they have one fewer tank to hide behind.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:58 AM

@Tabby - The correct tank to counter Pharah is Winston. No, really, Winston counters Pharah. Unless she's being pocketed by mercy, she can't get away from you fast enough, and you can do 200 damage in two jumps.

Quote:
Now let's add in that the enemy team has a Genji and a Widowmaker (two characters that Winston absolutely destroys, and among the best reasons to pick Winston)... But they're also running a Roadhog. So now it's not just "how do I counter them" but rather "how do I pick my engagements so that I run into the half the team I counter, and not the one guy who completely wrecks my shit?"

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 09-19-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Winston, really? I'll have to try that. I wouldn't have guessed (and to be honest I still don't see it) but I'll give it a go.

Actually now that I think about it, Roadhog is the actual "tank" counter to Pharah, but I don't really count Roadhog as a tank, to be honest.. that, and I suck at hooking, so I never play him.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Winston, really? I'll have to try that. I wouldn't have guessed (and to be honest I still don't see it) but I'll give it a go.

Actually now that I think about it, Roadhog is the actual "tank" counter to Pharah, but I don't really count Roadhog as a tank, to be honest.. that, and I suck at hooking, so I never play him.
Roadhog can be more effective, but Winston is a lot easier to pull off. You miss your hook and you're pretty worthless against her for 8 seconds. With Winston, you jump to meet her in the air twice and she's fried, and she can't stay up there forever, while you can chase her very easily if she tries to alight on a ledge. And yeah, Roadhog really isn't a Tank. He doesn't fulfill the main tank roles (establishing a line and a point to push through), he's basically a sniper/tankbuster with 600 health.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 09-19-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 AM

I spent the entire weekend sick, so I tucked in with a bottle of nyquil and played overwatch all day. I think I went from 0 to level 18. I now know enough about the maps to play who I want.

Roadhog is by far my best character. I don't consider him to be a tank, but I find that 1 v 1 he is almost invincible. I might just be lucky when I use him, but I usually go 15/1 KD with about 70% hook success. That hook alone is overpowered. Sucks his ult is so weak.

I have found that earlier comments about Lucio were spot on! My best healer by far!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 AM

Roadhog's ult is a potential gamewinner, really. Not only is it great for environmental kills, but it will shred a reinhardt shield and has all sorts of utility.

The piggy's real weakness is that he's a selfish character. He has no good way to protect teammates and, since he has no shields, is basically an ult battery for the enemy team. I would agree that tank isn't a great description of his role, since the word implies that you can do stuff to mitigate damage. He's just a tubby attack/defense hybrid.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 09-19-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Roadhog's ult is a potential gamewinner, really. Not only is it great for environmental kills, but it will shred a reinhardt shield and has all sorts of utility.

The piggy's real weakness is that he's a selfish character. He has no good way to protect teammates and, since he has no shields, is basically an ult battery for the enemy team. I would agree that tank isn't a great description of his role, since the word implies that you can do stuff to mitigate damage. He's just a tubby attack/defense hybrid.
Not only that, but Whole Hog has lots of knockback, and can be used to shove the enemy team off the objective so overtime can expire. I've kept at least one game from staying in overtime that way.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:01 AM

I do think that you guys were right about one thing. Tracer when played by a pro can be ridiculously strong. Last night I played a tracer who was ridiculously powerful, just hunting down and killing one after the other. Even when facing the whole team she just darted out in between buildings and causing such a mess that we couldn't focus on the objective. She had a powerful team with her, but alone caused enough mayhem to bring down the chance for a solid game.

Oh and also, I hate Bastion. He is easy to counter, however it sucks when you are a squishy and step into an empty alley just to be sprayed down by the guy.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:40 AM

I've found it very hard to get decent value off Whole Hog - you're very vulnerable. That said, if you combo it with Zarya's Graviton Surge ult, it will kill everyone caught in it, like a cheapo version of the Barrage+Graviton combo.

That said, if you can consistently land your hooks, Roadhog is an absolute monster. Not useful as a "main tank" (if you're running one tank it should not be him), but absolutely great as an extra DPS/sniper char. Just keep in mind that since you have no armor, Soldier76 absolutely shreds you.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Pardon the bump, but while I don't own this, I've finally been able to play it starting about two weeks ago. Good times. I still haven't tried every hero. So far lots of Lúcio, Zenyatta, and most of the tanks. I tried the sniper healer lady in that Halloween game and was hot garbage; my teammates were moving too quick for me to heal them. It's funny how salty people get in quickplay matches. And also how mismatched the teams get sometimes. I like my matches to go down to the wire, but it seems like 2/3 are roll or get rolled. I haven't tried comp. Probably won't unless I get my own copy.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:50 PM

The current brawl-- I forget what it's called-- is three Pharas, three Mercies per team, with the cooldown time on Phara's jump reduced so that you can stay in the air indefinitely. The result is this crazy aerial mosh pit, where if you lose altitude, you die. Highly recommended-- I haven't had this much fun with Overwatch in a while.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:05 PM

Ah, it's called Justice Rains From Above.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
anyone willing to play a healer is a saint
Only if you're playing Mercy or maybe Ana; Zenyatta's got some heavy offensive support power with the Orb of Discord. Basically it's a de-buff that causes the target to take some percentage more damage.. from ANYONE. He's also got a healing Orb of Harmony that he can put on someone to heal them over time.

The trick to Zenyatta is to keep both orbs in play constantly; the way I try and do it is to try and identify who on the enemy team is getting shot at the most, and pop them with the OoD, and then whoever's either tanking or getting beat down gets the OoH. Then I basically fire my shots downrange at the baddies, trying to keep them on teh OoDed player.

Coordinating Zenyatta with the more DPS-centric characters can be really effective on either offense or defense.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 AM

Ana is very hard. I've been playing her more often, but I have trouble getting value half the time because it's so hard to land shots with her.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Ana is very hard. I've been playing her more often, but I have trouble getting value half the time because it's so hard to land shots with her.
Which is fine by me (not that I want you to have a bad time), because sniper classes should be difficult to play. They definitely erred in making Hanzo and Black Widow far too easy to hit with, especially moving targets. Even most military-themed FPS games have harder to play sniper classes, and that's not setting a high bar.

I still think Activision has some work to do in balancing the characters; some are just too hard to play well, and others are overpowered unless the opposing team plays a specific counter, or set of counters.

Also, what's the deal with this new character Sombra I saw last night when I had to reinstall the game?
Old 11-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Are you scoped? It's must easier to hipfire with Ana, and you don't really need to scope unless your target is pretty far away or moving quickly - unscoped shots are projectile with some travel time, and scoped shots are hitscan.

I would suggest basically never scoping to start with.

She's not a very forgiving character to play if you're bad mechanically, though. I'm terrible with her, but sometimes if I have a really beefy frontline and we're on attack I'll Ana just for the nanoboost to bust chokes.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:59 AM

I don't have any trouble landing scoped shots on my allies, and I'm getting better at hipfired healing, but still not great. I don't find it any easier to land shots unscoped, tbh.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Thing is, the hit boxes for projectiles are more generous than for hitscan, so you have a bigger margin for error. But if you're nailing them anyway, good for you!

On a more serious note, hipfire also gives you more spatial awareness, and that's essential for a support.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:36 PM

Sombra just released on the PTR. They also added a cool Arcade mode with 3v3 and 1v1 play. They also bumped D.Va's health up to 600, which might be a little overboard.

Sombra is the new Offense hero, a hacker who specializes in disruption and shutdowns. She can cloak, teleport, disable enemy abilities and ults, and clear enemy barriers with her ult. She doesn't seem to do much damage, but her sapper skills more than make up for it. She's a lot of fun to play. Hacking prevents enemy players from using any abilities or ults for several seconds.

F.Pu and I ran some experiments with Sombra in a custom game, and here are our findings:

SPOILER:
  1. Hacking prevents activation of an ultimate, but does not disable an active ult.
  2. Hacking knocks Bastion out of seige mode.
  3. Torb turrets WILL target a cloaked Sombra at point blank range only.
  4. Hacking does not affect Symmetra turrets or teleporter.
  5. Symmetra turrets WILL target a cloaked Sombra at reduced range.
  6. Hacking does NOT disable passives like double jump or wall climb.
  7. Hacking does not penetrate Reinhardt, Winston, or Zarya's barriers. Barrier will interrupt hack if placed during hack attempt.
  8. Sombra's translocator can be thrown through Reinhardt and Winston barriers.
  9. EMP clears active barriers, including overheal from Sound Barrier ult.
  10. Hacking interrupts D.Va's boost ability.
  11. Hacking DOES target through D.Va's Defense Matrix ability.
  12. D.Va's Self Destruct ult cannot be disabled with hack or EMP once activated.
  13. Sombra can escape a Graviton Surge using the translocator.
  14. Junkrat trap on top of translocator beacon works great. Sombra cannot escape a Steel Trap with a translocator, even if the translocator is already deployed.
  15. Junkrat traps and mines cannot be hacked.
  16. Hacking and EMP have no effect on RIP Tire ult.
  17. Hacking prevents Lucio crossfade, but does not stop passive speed/heal effect.
  18. Hacking does NOT remove Zenyatta discord orbs, but prevents placement of new ones.
  19. Winston's Tesla Gun WILL target a cloaked Sombra.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:10 AM

Sombra seems almost unplayably weak.

Keep in mind that at this point, 2 supports is mandatory - without a second support, you can't stay alive in teamfights if one of them gets picked off (which happens often) and you have a much harder time keeping the supports alive in general.

While 2+ tanks is not mandatory, it's generally well-advised for a number of reasons.

At the moment, most pro teams have either one or two pure DPS heroes - heroes only really good for their damage output or utility in a fight. And these guys really have to turn up the damage. Can you honestly tell me that you'd favor Sombra over Tracer or McCree or even Soldier in any mode? Her damage output is just too bad; it's virtually impossible to win a 1v1 with her. As the guys from YourOverwatch put it, Sombra loses most 1v1s against Zenyatta. That's not good enough for a pure DPS hero. While her ult is incredible (and make no mistake, EMP pretty much guarantees a full teamwipe if you put it down into a Graviton Surge), actually getting to the point you can use it is hard to justify, given how shoddy her damage output is. She feels like a weaker Tracer.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:38 AM

That's true for higher-level competitive play, of course, but there's a wide range of gameplay levels between "people just picking up the game for the first time" and "pro." I mean, I play Symmetra often, and while she's never going to work in comp, she's a lot of fun in quick play. I imagine that Sombra will scratch a similar itch.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:25 AM

BPC: Sombra's damage output may be lacking, but it's difficult to gauge just how much of an effect a skilled player can disrupt an enemy team with hacking and EMP. I can see her being a counter to Torbjorn and Reinhardt at minimum. She'll probably be tweaked into a viable comp hero for skilled players. A good Sombra will probably deal low damage, occasionally picking off isolated and wounded targets of opportunity, but mostly stealthing around behind enemy lines and screwing with them. I think she'll require more team coordination than many other characters, but I see her as a more tactics-focused counterpart to Genji.

Being able to prevent a Mercy res during overtime is huge, it could easily turn the tide of a close game. Sneaking behind a Reinhardt and hacking down his barrier is huge. You don't need nearly as much team DPS when one of your heroes can instantly shut off Reinhardt's barrier for several seconds.

Also, she's about stealth, not open 1v1 battles. Like Reaper, letting your target see you means you've already screwed up. Unlike Reaper, Sombra doesn't have the raw damage to make her competitive in a straight up fight. But she can still cloak/teleport to safety, regroup, and strike again without being seen. I think the best Sombras will be those who maximize her stealth and mobility and only rarely use their weapon.

IMO, Sombra is Blizzard's attempt at making a more tactical offense hero, and to introduce more abstract gameplay affects in lieu of straightforward damage. I'm very interested to see how she plays out, and I can't wait until the novelty wears off enough that I can just hop into a QP and have a decent chance of practicing with her.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Anyone seeing much cheating? We encountered our first obvious aimbotting yesterday. But it's otherwise seemed pretty clean. Again, quick play only.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
Anyone seeing much cheating? We encountered our first obvious aimbotting yesterday. But it's otherwise seemed pretty clean. Again, quick play only.
I can think of once or twice when the other team seemed uncannily good, which made me think back to the bad old COD:MW2 days with the rampant cheating.

Otherwise no, the game seems blessedly free of cheating.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

This wasn't very sophisticated. A very bad hanjo suddenly started headshotting everyone, and the kill cam didn't show the aim lining up correctly.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
BPC: Sombra's damage output may be lacking, but it's difficult to gauge just how much of an effect a skilled player can disrupt an enemy team with hacking and EMP. I can see her being a counter to Torbjorn and Reinhardt at minimum. She'll probably be tweaked into a viable comp hero for skilled players. A good Sombra will probably deal low damage, occasionally picking off isolated and wounded targets of opportunity, but mostly stealthing around behind enemy lines and screwing with them. I think she'll require more team coordination than many other characters, but I see her as a more tactics-focused counterpart to Genji.

Being able to prevent a Mercy res during overtime is huge, it could easily turn the tide of a close game. Sneaking behind a Reinhardt and hacking down his barrier is huge. You don't need nearly as much team DPS when one of your heroes can instantly shut off Reinhardt's barrier for several seconds.

Also, she's about stealth, not open 1v1 battles. Like Reaper, letting your target see you means you've already screwed up. Unlike Reaper, Sombra doesn't have the raw damage to make her competitive in a straight up fight. But she can still cloak/teleport to safety, regroup, and strike again without being seen. I think the best Sombras will be those who maximize her stealth and mobility and only rarely use their weapon.

IMO, Sombra is Blizzard's attempt at making a more tactical offense hero, and to introduce more abstract gameplay affects in lieu of straightforward damage. I'm very interested to see how she plays out, and I can't wait until the novelty wears off enough that I can just hop into a QP and have a decent chance of practicing with her.
If your opponent's team is grouped up in a death ball, actually getting off a hack on a Reinhardt or Mercy is going to be very hard. Almost impossible, if the team gets wise to you. She should be a good counter to Reinhardt, but right now she just kinda isn't. Torbjorn didn't need a new counter, he's already pretty much completely nonviable. And while she's not about 1v1 fights, she still has to engage at some point, and she just doesn't do much damage. Basically, what we're looking at is a semi-effective flanker, except far weaker, with a fewer extra tools and not quite the same escape options as, say, Tracer or Genji (invis is completely useless in the middle of a firefight, and if your teleporter is on cooldown, or someone found it and is camping it, you're SOL - plus, Tracer can both get away and quickly re-engage; Sombra can't).

Tactical or not, right now she just feels very weak. Either her hacking needs to work despite damage, so that she can reliably make a play on a Rein shield, or her damage output needs to be tweaked so that she can play a more flank-oriented game.

Quote:
Blizzard is both pretty good at spotting it and absolutely merciless when it comes to permanently banning people, and people's new accounts they make to buy the game again. With that kind of risk, aimbotting pretty much isn't worth it.

Quote:
This wasn't very sophisticated. A very bad hanjo suddenly started headshotting everyone, and the kill cam didn't show the aim lining up correctly.
...Hanzo aimbot? That... doesn't make much sense. Hanzo is a projectile character. You can't really aimbot effectively if your projectile takes half a second to hit the target.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:37 AM

Personally I think Sombra is going to be very effective in the hands of the sort of people who can do a lot of damage with Tracer (ie not me). It'll be interesting to see how the character goes when she joins the regular player roster...
Old 11-15-2016, 04:07 AM

I am not good at this game, but it seems like Sombra is supposed to be sort of a niche pick? It seems like she has two primary roles: area control/denial and desperate point break.

Area control/denial means she does well on King of the Hill maps where she can run around and keep all the health packs hacked, depriving the enemy team of a lot of resources. You could make a case for using her on the defense on payloads too, where you forward hack all the health packs you can while the enemy team is trying to push forward.

Desperate point break means you really need to break a well fortified point that your other assault heroes just can't crack despite repeated attempts. This relies entirely on her ultimate. She cannot flank and hack a Reinhardt consistently, but if she can play safe and get her ult up (probably hacking a few health packs for safety), she can ult the enemy team and break through. This is essentially a hail mary play, but might be more effective/consistent in many circumstances than, eg, trying to land a Death Blosson, Pulse Bomb, or Dead Eye (and combos well with those abilities regardless).

She's not really "meant" to be a McCree or Tracer who can kind of fit into most games to various degrees if you need them to.

Last edited by Jragon; 11-15-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Hanzo aimbot? That... doesn't make much sense. Hanzo is a projectile character. You can't really aimbot effectively if your projectile takes half a second to hit the target.
No, it doesn't make much sense. But it works better if you play so aggro that all your shots are point-blank and you also spend most of the match dead.

I suspect we won't be seeing this kid again.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
People have developed aimbots for the TF2 soldier's rocket launcher, so it's definitely doable.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:30 AM

Sombra is now live on the main servers. I played with her last night and had a lot of fun. A couple more discoveries:

1. Hacking an enemy will show you if their ult is ready (shows the icon above their head)
2. Sombra's SMG shows its ammo count in hexadecimal, because she's apparently a show-offy nerd

I also really like the "no duplicate heroes" rule on Quick Play. I got so sick of people deciding they all wanted to be Torb on attack because "it's only Quick Play." Hey, asshole, plenty of people use Quick Play to warm up, and practice. If you want to fuck around, make a custom game, play brawl, or play against AI.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
I also really like the "no duplicate heroes" rule on Quick Play. I got so sick of people deciding they all wanted to be Torb on attack because "it's only Quick Play." Hey, asshole, plenty of people use Quick Play to warm up, and practice. If you want to fuck around, make a custom game, play brawl, or play against AI.
I like that change too. There's only so often you can face off against a multi-Torb, multi-Bastion opposing team before it stops being fun.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:07 AM

Word of advice: check out "Your Overwatch".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEz...nmHJSGu9wmOvsw

Two big reasons.

The first one: their videos are full of useful tips on how to get better at the game.
The second one: their discord server has the most active groupfinding I have ever seen, and because it's made up of people who watch YourOverwatch, there is a basic level of understanding that can be assumed there. People won't trickle in, they'll understand team composition and synergy, they'll communicate in-game, et cetera. It's made the game so much more fun to play, because I'm actually able to play the game in a 6-stack with other people who know how to play, instead of being forced to pray that someone in my solo queue games will be willing to play support or tank.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 12-06-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:15 AM

For once I actually feel the need to grind for loot boxes. I NEED that Winston skin.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:37 PM

So I picked this up a couple weeks ago, and have been playing it with my girls for a bit. It's their first introduction into FPS, and it's pretty good for them. Overall, it's a really fun game that lets us watch each other play and commiserate. One daughter is in love with Tracer and plays her (over my loving protestations) constantly. The other is much more flexible, and spends an inordinate amount of time researching tips and tricks online. It's a blast, and nice to have them engaged with their old man for a bit.

I've recently taken to trying out the competitive, and, my God it can really suck. The overall game design/balance is awesome, so the close games that go down to the last few seconds against equally matched teams are fantastically fun. Well worth the purchase. Unfortunately, those kinds of matches are pretty few and far between. More often than not, it's a bunch of idiots who want to play (and play poorly) their special character, no matter how useless in a wide variety of the games (I'm looking at you Widowmaker jagoffs) or how the team is shaping up (no, we don't need McCree if we already have a Hanzo, a Genji, and a Reaper). So almost every single game, I have to play a healer or a tank, just so the game isn't over in 30 seconds.

But even worse are the players who quit the game after it starts or deliberately tank on purpose. Playing 5 (or even 4) on 6 is impossible, and is nothing but a frustration, which really ruins a fun game. I'm a fan of Blizzard games, generally, but they really have a problem when it comes to dealing with people gaming the system to their own advantage, and the detriment of other players.

Still, it's a blast. Are any of you who were playing 9 months ago still active? Any teams needing another player?
Old 09-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

We started playing this heavily about a year ago. Battlefield 1 was winding down. We didn't really enjoy V very much. Fallout was meh. So for whatever reason we picked this up again and I got my own copy. And I'm having a lot of fun. I'm still not very good and probably won't ever be. Competitive is fun but often more intense than I want, so we usually just quickplay.

And they just rolled out role queue for QP! No more choosing a support hero and having everyone else choose DPS.

If anyone hasn't played in a while, there are a bunch of new heroes. Half a dozen or so since this thread was last active: https://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Hero...y_release_date
Old 09-07-2019, 01:02 PM

I picked Overwatch back up when Blizzard announced that Heroes of the Storm was going on life support.

The role queue change is massively, massively wonderful.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

My understanding is that if you're solo queueing* as DPS, the wait times can get pretty bad. Better if you're teaming up with friends.

*That word has too many vowels.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
My understanding is that if you're solo queueing* as DPS, the wait times can get pretty bad.
I believe it but, as somebody who almost exclusively plays tanks and (less often) healers, I'm not sad about those guys solo queueueueueing as DPS. They're the reason we need a role queue system in the first place!

My Overwatch buddy and I had grown accustomed to a status quo where he and I would each play a tank/healer, and then try our damnedest to protect four DPS characters. It was better in ranked, but not always. This new system is a renaissance for me - I'd forgotten how much fun it can be to tank when you always have two healers on the team.