Old 02-20-2018, 04:11 PM

“Pushing random buttons” is a poor way to find the controls of any game. A modern game will pretty much always have some kind of keymap which will not only show you which button/key does what, but allows you to change them to your liking.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
“Pushing random buttons” is a poor way to find the controls of any game. A modern game will pretty much always have some kind of keymap which will not only show you which button/key does what, but allows you to change them to your liking.
Yeah, but Elite's uses a wildly awful naming and combination system. I've frequently been looking right at the keymap and still not sure what they mean, stuff like "Up + Right Stick Down + Right Stick Up" How can something be both down and up, and what's the first "up" in reference to? It's a little easier for keyboard.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Yeah, but Elite's uses a wildly awful naming and combination system. I've frequently been looking right at the keymap and still not sure what they mean, stuff like "Up + Right Stick Down + Right Stick Up" How can something be both down and up, and what's the first "up" in reference to? It's a little easier for keyboard.
That's why I remapped everything for either one button press or one key press.

The default of mapping the distributor to the hat switch made absolutely no sense; I have it set to the up/down/left/right thrusters instead.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-20-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
I’m guessing “up” is the direction pad. But yeah, stuff that doesn’t make sense, I just remap.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Started the update while on my lunch break. One of the many benefits about working from home.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I'll have to see about buying a Krait Mk II come Thursday.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-26-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:45 PM

Oy, the update is buggy. I can't submit some completed missions. I think I'm going to hold off for a bit for a bugfix patch or two.

Plus I don't have enough spacebux to buy any of the cool new stuff. I blew most of it a few weeks ago when they had the discount on engineering weekend, and haven't done the passenger mission grind to get my finances back in order.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Haven't played much recently but I did experience a bit of weirdness last night. Surface scan mission; somehow managed to scan the beacon from outside the trespass zone (which was a first) then my recalled ship said its landing area was blocked. Recalled again, this time keeping an eye on its descent, and saw it heading straight for me!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Been bounty hunting for the CG. Evidently, Civil War status can cause authority vessels from the same minor faction to open fire on each other.

Also, I somehow attained wanted status while for firing on an authority vessel when it was their lasers that hit me! I did have a Condor out in defend mode, maybe they returned fire.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Played a bit of the Chapter 4 beta tonight so I'll be ready for the revamped exploration when it goes live. Now I really have a reason to take my alt, an explorer called CMDR Cody Eyrmon, out of the bubble!

I should try the revamped mining as well while it's still in beta.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-04-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Looks like detailed surface scanners will be needed to properly mine rings. I just started using prospector limpets, now I'll have to swap out the upgraded controller for a surface scanner scanner so my T9 miner can launch probes into rings.

Mining hotspots are being added but they're currently not persistent and will disappear when switching ships. Found some hotspots in your exploration vessel? Sorry, they won't be visible when you return with your mining vessel unless you launch more probes!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Logged into the beta and got a nice surprise: an extra optional slot (size 2) in my T9! Now to see about engineering the power plant for some additional power...
Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 PM

I hadn't played in a long time because it was taking more than 5 minutes to launch the game. So I haven't played the beta for chapter 4, but I would like to start playing as soon as the servers stabilize. Having to wait around 5 minutes over and over while I re-tweak things like graphic settings is a bit prohibitive.

Last night I finally decided to do what I should've done when I started having the problem: I filed a support ticket. All their faqs & such point toward the problem being antivirus software blocking the watchdog processes and things timing out, but now it looks like a networking problem. I see they use UPnP, which my AT&T router doesn't support. Now to find out what the workaround for that is.

Hopefully I'll be back into the black soon.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Had a bit of a go today, since the new exploration and mining mechanics dropped live yesterday.

I'm currently in my Dolphin* 1.5kly out from Sol, so it was the exploration stuff I looked at today. This game is not friendly to newbies or casuals - there was no explanation of the new stuff in game, and things do now work very differently. Because I have custom keybinds for my Hotas none of the new stuff is bound to any keys at all. I found it an annoying faff to find a decent video (like this one to explain the new mechanics and then get the keys bound.

Once I got it going, though, I liked it. There's more to exploring now - there's 3 levels of exploration now:
The initial "honk" to give you an idea of what's about

A more detailed FSS scan mini-game that lets you wander around the system map finding all the stuff that's there - apparently you can also find USSs this way as well, but I'm far enough out that I don't see those. This scan is what now gets you the "Discovered by..." tag on the map, and you don't need to fly away from the initial star to get it.

A Detailed Surface Scan (DSS), another minigame which requires you to fly close (much closer than the old way - you literally need to be within about 0.20ls for most planets, so it's a decent size on your screen) and fire probes at it to try and cover the surface. You get a bonus if you do it with less than a particular number of probes (which varies by planet size - I had a gas giant that required 22, and a small potato that was done in one probe), but I don't know how much that bonus is. Doing this scan first will get you the "Mapped by..." tag on the system map once you put it in.

The bubble is still full of systems that haven't been detailed scanned yet, so it's a good chance to get your name on some of the maps in the bubble.

All in all, apart from the tricky start, I'm liking it. It's not actually much slower than before - it's certainly much quicker to get the FSS scan since you don't need to fly to each planet. Getting the DSS takes much longer, but you don't need to do it if you're just motoring through.

DSS also tells you if there's anything interesting on the planet - such as volcanic vents, or alien barnacles - and will bring it up as a waypoint to go see it so and land and drive your SRV about. Might as well, since you've brought it along. I believe this also tags these discoveries with your name, but I could be wrong.

*The Ecco Beach
Old 12-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
there was no explanation of the new stuff in game, and things do now work very differently.
Under the training menu, there is a mission chain for the mining mechanics and a video for the exploration mechanics. No training missions for exploration, though.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-12-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
Because I have custom keybinds for my Hotas none of the new stuff is bound to any keys at all.
This is the primary reason that I checked out the beta: custom keybinds for XBone controller, which I was able to set up for the new stuff and carry over to the launch version.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Been splitting my free time between this and FO4 (XBone version of 4, PC version has become too wonky) lately. Currently on my way to Zeus with 90 tons of Void Opals, there are closer stations but none which pay as much as they do.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-29-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 PM

So I finally got around to playing this a few months back, and have been off and on since then, mostly just doing delivery missions in my Cobra. I did buy a Type 6 and tried some simple mining, though somehow getting a few tons of water out of an icy ring was more difficult than I thought, may try it again later.

One big thing I was curious about--is there a decent way to ease into combat? Seems like anytime I get jumped it's either a harmless idiot in an Eagle who barely fires or a Deadly in a Fer-De-Lance that two-shots me. Best I can tell, the only difference between a Harmless and an Elite combat zone mission is the number of ships to kill, when I've taken one, the combat zones are still all Expert and up flyers. And assassination missions seem to require interdictors, but I don't want to kit out a combat-specific ship just to find out if I enjoy combat, you know?

Anyone tried the "Hunt the mega-ship" missions that seemed to come with the patch?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Seems like anytime I get jumped it's either a harmless idiot in an Eagle who barely fires or a Deadly in a Fer-De-Lance that two-shots me.
That likely has to do with mission rank(s): missions with a recommended rank toward the high end of the scale will have higher level pirates come after you.

I pretty much stay out of combat zones. Did a few when I had a Vulture, mainly remained on the fringe and picked off any enemies that strayed my way. I now have a Krait that is a pretty fun CZ ship, as long as I don't get swarmed.

Oh, and high CZs are supposedly safer than low CZs; the latter reportedly run out of friendlies too quick.
Quote:
I don't want to kit out a combat-specific ship just to find out if I enjoy combat, you know?
Have you done the combat tutorials yet?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-29-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
That likely has to do with mission rank(s): missions with a recommended rank toward the high end of the scale will have higher level pirates come after you.
That was my best guess as well, I've just never had a good, reasonable fight come out of it, and getting attacked is infrequent enough that I'm not going to give up a good, high-paying mission to haul 6 tons of biowaste somewhere just because it's randomly tagged "Elite."
Quote:
Have you done the combat tutorials yet?
Yeah, on the second one I can only get the Sidewinder through the first ship, never quite been able to take out his buddy, but when I looked online to see if I was doing something wrong, I got pages of results of people Deadly and higher who said they couldn't get past it either.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That was my best guess as well, I've just never had a good, reasonable fight come out of it, and getting attacked is infrequent enough that I'm not going to give up a good, high-paying mission to haul 6 tons of biowaste somewhere just because it's randomly tagged "Elite."
There are some tricks you can use to avoid them. NPC pirates nearly always announce that they're targeting you before trying to pull you out of Supercruise; if you get this announcement right after jumping into a system, head straight for the closest star and pull a 180° when your temperature hits 65 or so. The pirate will likely get too close to the star while trying to get behind you.

You can also try dropping into places where you'll find help as long as you don't have wanted status. For example: a nav beacon (not a compromised nav beacon). Or head toward a signal source and hope it resolves to a convoy.

If all else fails, just submit, spam boost, and jump as soon as your frame shift cools down.

If you're playing on Windows, give a shout to CMDR Holdstock and we can wing up sometime. I'll bring one of my combat ships and watch your six, or we can muticrew my Krait - give you a taste of firing shock cannons. This would be in my own private group so there's no concern about being jumped by a live player.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-30-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

After an encounter with some particularly nasty (AI) pirates, I bought an Anaconda for mining in anarchy systems. She's not quite finished but should make those pirates think twice about trying to take my Void Opals.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 AM

Been playing a bit over the past few weeks.

The new Exploration stuff is actually really good and engaging, and nicely profitable - perhaps not up there with the Void Opal mining Skywatcher is doing, but I did a quick 1.5kly trip out of the bubble and round and came back to 90 million exploration cash.

Whilst I was out there, I got did some of the Guardian ruin sites to get the stuff to hopefully unlock a Guardian FSD booster - by ditching the cabins I can fit the 10ly booster in to my Asp and really start to get some good range out of it.

Then I can disappear into the black again.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I really like not having to target anything to discover it, that way the next system jump is still there if I need to make a quick exit.

Which reminds me of another trick to avoid pirates: if you're not yet in your destination system, trigger the jump as soon as you can after you get the "I'm coming for you!" message then start doing loops. Chances are, the countdown will finish before they can get behind you. You'll jump as soon as you're lined up with the target system again.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-02-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I was planning to do some exploration mining with the T9 but, on a whim, checked out the only rings in a system way out on the bubble's fringe. That icy ring turned out to be virtually full of hotspots! 23 with all sorts of nice stuff and seven Bromellite.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-02-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Fleet carriers are expected in December!