Old 09-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Star Wars Episode IX anticipation thread

It may seem early, but big news hit for Episode IX today.

Colin Trevorrow has left as director.

Halelujah!

I thought Jurassic World was terrible and was disappointed they picked Trevorrow to write and direct Episode IX. They actually took his script and hired someone else to re-write it. I can't help but wonder if this was the first sign they were not satisfied with the movie he planned to make.

Who should get it?

I suggest Taika Waititi. I haven't seen Thor 3 yet, but his previous movies were great and if Thor 3 is as crazy and fun as its trailers look, he'd be a great fit.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Wonder if the date will stay
I liked Safety not Guaranteed, but he didn't write that.

Brian
Old 09-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

J.J. Abrams is writing and directing Episode IX. I hope Lawrence Kasdan comes on board.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Co-writer is listed as Chris Terrio, whote Argo (good) and Batman vs Superman (not so much)

Brian
Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 PM

Good.

Abrams is a skilled director and a talented writer. The main problem most people had with Episode 7 was that many of its plot points were too reminiscent of Episode 4 - and I think we've learned since then that Star Wars directors don't have the power to decide things like that. Episode 9 will have the story Kathleen Kennedy wants it to have, and whatever director she chooses won't have much say in the matter.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:11 PM

What's wrong with Gareth Edwards? Of the two SW movies in the Disney era, his offering was far superior than the drivel JJ made.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 PM

From what I understand, Rogue One was good despite Edwards, not because of him. Most of the frankly excellent movie we saw was a result of frantic re-editing and last-minute reshoots.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:24 PM

Treverrow was a hack (Jurassic World was garbage) so it's good he's gone but Abrams really needs to step up his game. TFA was an entertaining movie but really was coasting on the Star Wars goodwill. I hope Episode IX is more original.

Last edited by Quimby; 09-12-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Whatever happened to Episode 8? Or are we counting Rogue One as Ep 8?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Ep 8 is The Last Jedi directed by Rian Johnson, out in Dec. and all over Yahoo.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Shocking no one, the date for Episode IX has moved to December 2019
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...rector-change/
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/907686475512160256

Brian
Old 09-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Episode VIII anticipation thread:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=778506

Brian
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Good.

Abrams is a skilled director and a talented writer. The main problem most people had with Episode 7 was that many of its plot points were too reminiscent of Episode 4 - and I think we've learned since then that Star Wars directors don't have the power to decide things like that. Episode 9 will have the story Kathleen Kennedy wants it to have, and whatever director she chooses won't have much say in the matter.
I don't specifically hate Abrams as a director, but let's be blunt - his career is built on painfully shallow, flimsy plots held together by pretense and far better actors than he deserves. This is not a good change from my opinion.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Star Wars isn't about auteurs, at least not anymore. It's about fulfilling an established style, colouring inside the lines as set by Lucasfilm. I think the outlying stories have some more freedom, but not much, judging by how the Han Solo movie ousted its directors rather brutally. As this is the third director slated for the movie after Josh Trank was removed for unpredictable personality reasons, and now Trevorrow apparently for unbridled ego reasons, they are desperate for someone safe and who knows what they're doing, hence the familiar Abrams, who knows the world, the characters, and the Disney/Lucasfilm rubric.

Having said that, Mahaloth's suggestion of Taika Waititi would be great for an anthology movie. Maybe the Obi Wan Kenobi movie, or what lays beyond (Droids? Boba Fett? Something else entirely new?). He seems to be a good fit, assuming Thor Ragnarok is as good as it appears.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I really want new Star Wars universe movies that have no connection to the Luke Skywalker and Anakin Skywalker time. I loved Knights of the Old Republic, which took place hundreds of years earlier.

I wish Disney had the guts to hire some people to make new movies that move past nostalgia and try some original ideas.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Star Wars isn't about auteurs, at least not anymore. It's about fulfilling an established style, colouring inside the lines as set by Lucasfilm.
I think you are right and given they literally want to release a Star Wars movie every year until the end of time, this is really dumb. They have to start making the different or people will get bored.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I think you are right and given they literally want to release a Star Wars movie every year until the end of time, this is really dumb. They have to start making the different or people will get bored.
They've only done two so far under the current "regime", and they're pretty different from each other, IMO. So I think they're doing fine so far (I liked both TFA and R1).
Old 12-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

J.J. Abrams pitched the story of Episode IX today.

The two year countdown begins!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

We interrupt this thread to correct an error I made.
Quote:
As this is the third director slated for the movie after Josh Trank was removed for unpredictable personality reasons, and now Trevorrow apparently for unbridled ego reasons...
Josh Trank was not on Episode IX, he was on the Anthology movie set for afterward, which may or may not have been about Boba Fett, and now is likely to be about Obi Wan Kenobi. No Director has been announced for that movie yet either.

As you were.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

The script is finished and they film this summer.

I hope it is good. I have re-watched Last Jedi now and I think Force Awakens was better, even if it took less risks.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:51 PM

I must say after The Last Jedi, my anticipation for IX has plummeted.

I can forgive almost everything about TLJ, even though I think it is a huge slap down and F.U. to TFA, but there are a couple things I think were a mistake and are going to make things unnecessarily hard for JJ.

1) Killing off Luke when Carrie Fisher actually died.
2) Not killing off Leia when he had the chance.

Note, there was plenty of time for reshoots to make those changes.

I know it sounds cold, but Carrie dying is a real problem. I don't want Leia's death to be a footnote in the crawl, I don't want her off on vacation somewhere, and they aren't going to CGI her (which would be terrible as well). Knowing she's dead, and then killing off Luke in the same move is just awful. They had footage of her being blown up, so blow her up, or some other creative way, and maybe move it farther down the movie so she gets roughly the same amount of screen time. It could have been a very somber, powerful moment, if done right.

He should have let Luke live and allowed JJ clean up the "Luke mess" (if that even exists). Luke kinda sucked in this film, a lot of people think that, and I think there is only so much redemption you can get as a force ghost.

Johnson, seemingly deliberately, slapped down every layup JJ set up in TFA, and then did this. I think it's gonna be rough for JJ to come up with a good film.

Last edited by Ashtura; 03-15-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post

Johnson, seemingly deliberately, slapped down every layup JJ set up in TFA, and then did this. I think it's gonna be rough for JJ to come up with a good film.
I disagree with most of your post, but do agree that JJ and his writing partner have a terribly difficult task.

Rian Johnson stole many of the climaxes for his movie he:

- Killed Luke
- Killed Snoke
- Resolved Rey's parentage
- Killed Phasma

When asked about what was left for Episode IX, Johnson has said, "I don't know. I'm not writing or involved in that movie at all. That's up to that movie's team."

I'm amazed Disney allowed him to take so much of the story and wrap it up.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post

And wrap it up in such a horrible package.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:50 PM

To be fair, it's not like JJ and company had any clear idea where the plot was going after TFA. TFA was just another movie full of JJ's patented mystery box bullshit. That man really needs to not make anything ever again. At the very least he should have no say in the story.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Wait, are there really people who think The Last Jedi was worse than The Force Awakens? I thought that TLJ was pretty clearly the better of the two.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Wait, are there really people who think The Last Jedi was worse than The Force Awakens?

You realize the one that grossed a heck of a lot less money got a lower score with critics, and a lower score with audiences, over at ROTTEN TOMATOES, right?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wait, are there really people who think The Last Jedi was worse than The Force Awakens? I thought that TLJ was pretty clearly the better of the two.
I did, too: TLJ is my favorite Star Wars movie, despite its flaws, because it felt like the author was trying something new and interesting. I'm pretty cold on Abrams and don't really care to see anything else he does; for the first time ever, I may give a Star Wars movie a miss.

But I recognize that TLJ's different style isn't going to be to all tastes. It doesn't surprise me at all that some folks like Abram's stuff more.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I liked Force Awakens better, but am not in the anti-TLJ camp. Both were good and probably better than we internet-complainers deserve.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM

I was hoping someone other than Abrams would be in charge for the next movie. His visual style is fine, but one problem with both Star Wars and his Star Trek efforts is that they feel like they take place in an afternoon; he doesn't do the passage of time very well at all. I expect a less interesting plot from him than The Last Jedi's too, and that's a shame because it left off in a great place and I'm curious to see how a couple of dozen remaining rebels deal with the baddies.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Because TLJ ended with the Resistance in a ragtag scattershot mess, and also because Leia surviving was such an important part of the storyline (at the time), I anticipate there will be a lot of time passing between episodes for regrouping. The time between VII and VIII was like two weeks. The time beween VIII and IX will likely be something like five years or more.

I loved The Last Jedi, but I agree that the multiple opportunities in the story for Leia to die probably should've been taken to fit Carrie's death. They had Holdo to fill her shoes in a sequel, and then keep Luke alive for the old guard to have a presence still. It seems a missed opportunity.

As it is, Luke will almost certainly return as a Force Ghost for Rey's support.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I disagree with most of your post, but do agree that JJ and his writing partner have a terribly difficult task.

- Killed Luke
- Killed Snoke
- Resolved Rey's parentage
- Killed Phasma

When asked about what was left for Episode IX, Johnson has said, "I don't know. I'm not writing or involved in that movie at all. That's up to that movie's team."

This. AFAIAC, Ep 8 was the end of the story, not with a bang but with a whimper. There are loose ends, but not enough to care about or bother with.

Ep 7, though not the greatest movie in the world, still left me with enough reason to see Ep 8. For me, at least, Ep 8 fails to do that for Ep 9.

Thinking on Eps 1-3 and 7-8, I'm reminded of the opening sentence of "Prologue - Concerning Boggies" from Bored of the Rings: "This book is predominantly concerned with making money, and from its pages a reader may learn much about the character and the literary integrity of the authors."

In the original trilogy, Lucas had a story that grabbed the public's imagination, and it made a shitload of money. But the story came first. But in the rest of the eps, it seems like (other than the rudimentary notion of Anakin starting off good and somehow going over to the Dark Side) I have to imagine them saying, "we can make a shitload of money here, now what story can we come up with to do it?"
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
TFA was okay. Not great, not original, but coherent and entertaining.
TLJ was incoherent, scattershot, poorly plotted, poorly written and poorly thought out.
It had better acting and better SFX than TFA, I'll say that for it.
But everyone I know IRL who saw both movies enjoyed TFA a hell of a lot more.
Sorry if this conflicts with your feelings on the matter, but I think a hell of a lot of people didn't like TLJ.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I'm not offended, just surprised. I thought it was so obvious that it was a better movie that I just assumed that everyone else would agree, without bothering to ask anyone (other than the friend I saw it with, who agreed with me). But apparently people do disagree with me. Shrug.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

It's hard for me to tell if there is a significant number of people who dislike The Last Jedi or if it's an illusion. There is certainly a vocal online contingent, and there was a sharp drop-off at the box office in the second week, but final tallies still have it in the top ten grosses ever, and the drop-off could also be explained by it being a sequel, and it being the week of Christmas.

Most of the arguments I see against it I really find surprising and ones I can't agree on at all. It really seems like a sharp demarcated divisive line between the likers and haters. Quite a shame, I think they're cutting themselves off from a great movie.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
It's hard for me to tell if there is a significant number of people who dislike The Last Jedi or if it's an illusion. There is certainly a vocal online contingent, and there was a sharp drop-off at the box office in the second week, but final tallies still have it in the top ten grosses ever, and the drop-off could also be explained by it being a sequel, and it being the week of Christmas.

Most of the arguments I see against it I really find surprising and ones I can't agree on at all. It really seems like a sharp demarcated divisive line between the likers and haters. Quite a shame, I think they're cutting themselves off from a great movie.
Cutting themselves off? I saw the movie, I didn't like it. How is that "cutting myself off?"
Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM

My biggest fault with it (and I hope JJ can steer it back to where I, yes I, cuz I am the only one that matters, want it to be) is that it sort of ended the Skywalker arc prematurely (there's supposed to be another movie, Rian!). The cartoons, the side movies, the new movies, the books, et al can be about any one of the billions of characters in the galaxy. But these nine episodes, IMO, are supposed to be about the Skywalker story.

All the fun speculation fans had coming out of TFA about Rey and Luke and Leia were squashed in TLJ. Luke's dead, Leia's presumably dying off-screen, Rey's a nobody....I mean, I get it: Rian wants all of us to let the past die, kill it if we must, but come on man, let us have these last couple of movies with the Skywalkers and see how the magic wraps up before we completely move on.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 03-16-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
My biggest fault with it (and I hope JJ can steer it back to where I, yes I, cuz I am the only one that matters, want it to be) is that it sort of ended the Skywalker arc prematurely (there's supposed to be another movie, Rian!). The cartoons, the side movies, the new movies, the books, et al can be about any one of the billions of characters in the galaxy. But these nine episodes, IMO, are supposed to be about the Skywalker story.

All the fun speculation fans had coming out of TFA about Rey and Luke and Leia were squashed in TLJ. Luke's dead, Leia's presumably dying off-screen, Rey's a nobody....I mean, I get it: Rian wants all of us to let the past die, kill it if we must, but come on man, let us have these last couple of movies with the Skywalkers and see how the magic wraps up before we completely move on.
A lot of fans wanted that. Rian Johnson made it pretty clear that he was making a movie he wanted to make and didn't give a damn about the fans. That's why it underperformed.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You really haven't been paying attention, have you?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta..._force_awakens
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta..._the_last_jedi

TLJ only beats out Attack of the Clones by 1% audience score on RT to be the worse Star Wars movie ever made.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 AM

I've been an utterly massive Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember, and TLJ was my favorite SW movie since the OT. Probably by far -- I might even like it more than RotJ. I understand that you didn't like the movie, and some other folks didn't either, but it's just silly broad-brushing to say that the director "didn't give a damn about the fans". You can speak for yourself, but you don't speak for "the fans" any more than me or any other single person.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I've been an utterly massive Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember, and TLJ was my favorite SW movie since the OT. Probably by far -- I might even like it more than RotJ. I understand that you didn't like the movie, and some other folks didn't either, but it's just silly broad-brushing to say that the director "didn't give a damn about the fans". You can speak for yourself, but you don't speak for "the fans" any more than me or any other single person.
I'm not the one saying that though. Johnson says it himself with the way he structured the movie. The fans want to know who Snoke is? Fuck it, he's dead. Don't care what they want.
The fans want to know who Rey's parents are? Fuck it, they're nobodies, unimportant.
The fans want to see the dramatic moment when Rey hands Luke back his lightsaber?
Fuck it, let's turn it into a comic moment and have him toss it over his shoulder.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:

- Killed Phasma

If IX was banking on this as any sort of climax it was already fucked. Phasma has what, like 8 lines over the two movies? Utterly forgettable character.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
A lot of fans wanted that. Rian Johnson made it pretty clear that he was making a movie he wanted to make and didn't give a damn about the fans. That's why it underperformed.
Are you sure you're not projecting? Saying it underperformed when it's the #9 international box office selling movie of all time is kind of overselling the point.

Movies with a lower International Box Office:

Frozen
Fate of the Furious
Civil War
Return of the King
Black Panther

I realize he may not have made the choices you wanted, but I thought they were gutsy choices for a guy restrained to a certain corporate point of view. And they showed not that he wasn't interested in the fans - who still came out, I remind you - but that he was willing to challenge their preconceptions and expectations. That's far more important in a creative person that giving people what they want. It opens up the future to do other concepts and approaches not enslaved to what came before.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post

If IX was banking on this as any sort of climax it was already fucked. Phasma has what, like 8 lines over the two movies? Utterly forgettable character.
Not to mention the fact that I think she'll be the "Kenny" of Star Wars, showing up in IX with a small scratch on her face.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Are you sure you're not projecting? Saying it underperformed when it's the #9 international box office selling movie of all time is kind of overselling the point.
No, I am very sure I'm not projecting and I'd bet you any amount of money that Disney considers its box office take an underperformance as well. This is a Star Wars film...it was going to make a billion no matter what. If it had been better, if it hadn't said a big "fuck you" to JJ Abrams, TFA and the fans' expectations, it would have gotten the repeat business to kick it up over $1.5, maybe close to 2.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I'm not the one saying that though. Johnson says it himself with the way he structured the movie. The fans want to know who Snoke is? Fuck it, he's dead. Don't care what they want.
The fans want to know who Rey's parents are? Fuck it, they're nobodies, unimportant.
The fans want to see the dramatic moment when Rey hands Luke back his lightsaber?
Fuck it, let's turn it into a comic moment and have him toss it over his shoulder.
I understand that this is how you feel, but you don't speak for the fans, and you don't speak for Johnson. I wanted to see/know all this, and I think Johnson handled these scenes very creatively and very enjoyably.

I can get that you didn't like the movie, and neither did many other fans. What I don't get is why this view must necessarily be the view of "the fans", and that fans like me who loved it don't matter. Why can't we just disagree about the movie -- why does your view have to be the definitive view of "the fans"?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-16-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I understand that this is how you feel, but you don't speak for the fans, and you don't speak for Johnson. I wanted to see/know all this, and I think Johnson handled these scenes very creatively and very enjoyably.

I can get that you didn't like the movie, and neither did many other fans. What I don't get is why this view must necessarily be the view of "the fans", and that fans like me who loved it don't matter. Why can't we just disagree about the movie -- why does your view have to be the definitive view of "the fans"?
I obviously understand that there is a large percentage of the viewers who liked the movie. But this whole tangent was in response to someone who was amazed there were people who DIDN'T like it. This line of conversation was explaining why about half the fans don't like what Johnson did with the movie.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I obviously understand that there is a large percentage of the viewers who liked the movie. But this whole tangent was in response to someone who was amazed there were people who DIDN'T like it. This line of conversation was explaining why about half the fans don't like what Johnson did with the movie.
Okay, then I'd recommend not use sweeping statements associating your views with those of "the fans". Your views and yours, mine are mine, and "the fans" have very diverse views which certainly can't be summed up with anything close to specificity.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Okay, then I'd recommend not use sweeping statements associating your views with those of "the fans". Your views and yours, mine are mine, and "the fans" have very diverse views which certainly can't be summed up with anything close to specificity.
Oh Gosh, I'd better issue a public apology on Twitter...
Old 03-16-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Oh Gosh, I'd better issue a public apology on Twitter...
No need! On behalf of all true Star Wars fans, I absolve you of your sins.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Not to mention the fact that I think she'll be the "Kenny" of Star Wars, showing up in IX with a small scratch on her face.

I canít believe how much I now want for her to show up in full mirror-chrome armor, and then remove the helmet exactly long enough to show a small scratch on her face, and then put the helmet back on for the rest of the movie.

(Not even saying any lines during that; just helmet on, helmet off, helmet on.)