Old 03-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

What We Do In The Shadows - the tv series

Did anyone else catch the first episode of the show? I am a big fan of the movie and this was kind of a reboot version of that. Same director and same writer.

It was great. I think the energy vampire was a great idea and the whole thing was hilarious.

Did anyone else watch? I think this one has a lot of potential.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Didn’t watch but I will. Maybe tonight. I loved the movie.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Saw it. Liked it. I wasn't sure what to expect, I thought the movie was running out of steam at the end. Starting over is a good idea. And the energy vampire is fantastic. I used to work with one of those who looked just like the guy on the show!

Time will tell but they are off to a good start.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:09 PM

I'm intrigued. I LOVE Matt Berry and am thrilled he's in a show people in the US MIGHT actually watch. And the rest of the cast looks solid.

I didn't like the trailers. It had a vibe that put me in mind of something like a Funny or Die parody of the original movie. But trailers aren't always a good indicator, so I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by typoink; 03-29-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:20 PM

FX means I won't legally be able to watch it for at least a year on streaming, right?

Edit: without paying for this show specifically, I mean.

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 03-29-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
FX means I won't legally be able to watch it for at least a year on streaming, right?

Edit: without paying for this show specifically, I mean.
You could get a free trial to FX+.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:14 PM

So far exteremly similar to the movie (in tone if not in fine details.)
Old 03-29-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
You could get a free trial to FX+.
I only stream, FX+ is not like HBO Now where you can just try it, you need cable.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
So far exteremly similar to the movie (in tone if not in fine details.)
I've been looking forward to this for awhile and the pilot didn't disappoint. The energy vampire was confusing since at first he just seemed like a metaphorical physic vampire, but given that the other vampires are tolerating his presence instead of killing him he's apparently a literal one. Also it looks like one of the vampires in going to need a new familiar.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:26 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
I'm intrigued. I LOVE Matt Berry and am thrilled he's in a show people in the US MIGHT actually watch.
Yeah, me too. I've been a fan since the Marenghi days. I watched the first episode for free on Prime--pretty good, but I'll wait for reviews as the season goes on before I decide if it's worth paying for.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

The energy sucker is hilarious. I have a neighbor like that.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:00 AM

Watched it. Didn't like it. Not my thing I guess.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:42 PM

I never even heard of the movie until after this aired.

I like that the energy sucker is a daywalker. The familiar being so sure he was gonna be turned only to get a tacky decoration (showing him being turned, even), was nice.

I'll probably keep watching, assuming it isn't scheduled against other shows I watch.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:58 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Nice touch that they are so unambitious that in 150 they never moved from the spot the boat happened to drop them off.

The quick reveal that the knight did not lose his head in battle.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:37 PM

I'm going to look for it.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:09 PM

...the Thrillist recently did an article titled "How Taika Waititi Adapted the Vampire Comedy 'What We Do in The Shadows' for American TV."

Now while Taika was of course heavily involved with the adaptation, the "bulk of the work" of the adaptation was really undertaken by Jermaine Clement, who took "exception" to the article and title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine Clement
By saying "Jemaine, adapt it for TV, bro! I'm going to make Thor!"
https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/...44291041583104

In response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taika Waititi
I literally did all the work, even though "facts" would suggest I put in the absolute least effort possible and ran away to be a Hollywood director. But facts are just a human construct designed to sabotage our lizard brain lies. You do the math "Jemaine".
https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/sta...03143086874625
Old 03-30-2019, 06:25 PM

The show is uneven but the energy vampire is awesome, especially as we all know one. If this show catches on they need to eventually have Ben Stein guest as the Lord of Energy Vampires.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:45 PM

I haven't seen the movie (and now look forward to seeing it). When I realized the show was in the 'fake documentary' genre, I was a bit disappointed, as that genre seems rather overdone...but the writing, acting, and direction were so beautifully accomplished that I loved the show.

Like others I enjoyed the Energy Vampire most. One critic who saw advance episodes mentioned that a future storyline will give us

SPOILER:
Vanessa Bayer as an Emotion Vampire, who will challenge the Energy Vampire in ways he never imagined.
That should be epic!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Loved it and loved the movie. It's the kind of comedy that you really have to pay attention to all of the little remarks. So I wouldn't even think of having my husband watch this with me. He just wouldn't get it.

When I saw the previews, I was really surprised. Never thought they would make a series based on that movie. I immediately set up a series recording (probably over a month ago). I just happened to see it on my list of recordings this weekend and was very excited. So glad I set it up to record so long ago - I would have missed it for sure. FX isn't a channel I watch all the time.

I'm still laughing to myself at some of the lines.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Just got around to watching it last night. Don't know anything about the movie, but we thought it was a hoot!
I sure hope they teach us how to deal with those energy vampires. Here comes mine now...
Old 04-02-2019, 08:55 AM

I thought it was pretty funny. But, is it me, or is the "energy vampire" just a regular, boring dude who everyone (even himself), thinks is a vampire?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I thought it was pretty funny. But, is it me, or is the "energy vampire" just a regular, boring dude who everyone (even himself), thinks is a vampire?
No, it's pretty clear there's a supernatural element there. After the energy vampire was done draining the unfortunate larp players, the other vampires immediately sensed that there was no nutritional value left in them, and so they let them go.

I think the energy vampire will be an important tool in the writers' toolbox for having sympathetic victims who last more than one episode.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Watch his eyes after he feeds.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Watch his eyes after he feeds.
ok, I'll rewatch to check that out.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I'm still laughing to myself at some of the lines.
"Only vampires laughing."
Old 04-02-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I think the same thing, and I also think that's the joke: they treat "energy vampires" as if they're supernatural, when actually they're just boring dudes.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I think the same thing, and I also think that's the joke: they treat "energy vampires" as if they're supernatural, when actually they're just boring dudes.
What makes this a fresh concept (I think) is that 'boring people' as depicted in fiction generally have no idea that they are boring.

This guy glories in it. As mentioned upthread, there's a literal glint in his eyes after he drains someone---a special effect which may, or may not, be intended to convey a supernatural element.

At this point I think it would be funnier if what you suggest is true: the actually-supernatural vampires don't realize that this guy is just an ordinary mortal who happens to be sadistically pleased with the effect he has on people. But we shall see.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 04-02-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinatedgeek View Post
I've seen the What We Do In The Shadows movie after knowing that Taika Waititi was the man behind the comedy of the Thor Ragnarok movie. Is Stu came back for the TV series adaptation?
No, he did not appear. Would be great if he did, though.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinatedgeek View Post
I've seen the What We Do In The Shadows movie after knowing that Taika Waititi was the man behind the comedy of the Thor Ragnarok movie. Is Stu came back for the TV series adaptation?
Weren't they going to do a spin-off film of the WWDITS werewolves before? No idea if it got shelved or just never really started or is still going to be a thing.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Weren't they going to do a spin-off film of the WWDITS werewolves before? No idea if it got shelved or just never really started or is still going to be a thing.
I think it fizzles. It was going to be called "We're Wolves". Say it quick.

This is the second TV show, though. They also had a pretty bad spinoff comedy called Wellington Paranormal featuring the police from the original movie.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I watched a couple episodes of Wellington Paranormal and it didn't hook me. I've seen worse television but it didn't feel worth my time to watch more.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:50 PM

Saw the movie a couple of years ago and loved it. Planning to watch the pilot and another episode tonight. We'll see.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I think the latest episode clenches that Collin Robinson is supernatural.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:26 AM

2nd episode even better. Lots of potential here. The energy vampire concept is going to go big time.

Vampires vs. Staten Island City Council, brilliant.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:29 AM

Saw and enjoyed it quite a bit. Looks like we get around to werewolves next episode. I think I'll keep watching as long as it stays fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
I think the latest episode clenches that Collin Robinson is supernatural.
Yeah it does. You can see a hint of bluish light or something in his eyes as the rest of the group leaves the council meeting.

Last edited by Sodalite; 04-04-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:52 AM

I think everyone is missing the point on the energy vampire. It's not that he's not really a vampire, it's that the people you know like that actually are vampires!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:00 PM

The opening makes it clear the energy Vampire has been around for a long time and doesn't age.

I enjoyed the second ep, I hope it keeps up.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I really liked the movie and finally checked out the first episode last night.

Glad they made this into a TV show - I think the movie was really just an interesting/funny concept with interesting/funny characters, and it really deserved to be drawn out into a "what are those kooky guys up to this week?" sort of scenario.

Can't wait to see more!
Old 04-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

The second episode was overall less funny, but still really funny in parts.

The pile of dead raccoons on the lady's porch was hilarious.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:34 PM

I loved the borough council's deadpan reaction to Nandor's demands. Also I haven't been able to get the theme song out of my head all day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I loved the borough council's deadpan reaction to Nandor's demands. Also I haven't been able to get the theme song out of my head all day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hey, they're on Satan's Staten Island, they heard worse than Nandor.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
The pile of dead raccoons on the lady's porch was hilarious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I loved the borough council's deadpan reaction to Nandor's demands.
Both those things were really well done. And full credit not only to the writing and acting, but to Clement's direction. (I mean, it was clear that Laszlo was going to kill raccoons for the city councilwoman, but the set-up of the reveal shot was just perfection.)

To my shame, I hadn't recognized the Energy Vampire, Mark Proksch, as Mr. Squat Cobbler from the first season of Better Call Saul. What an actor! That orgasm in the City Council meeting was Emmy-worthy.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:31 PM

I had never heard of the movie, but the relentless ads during "You're the Worst" eventually wore me down and I decided to check it out.

So far I'm enjoying it. I like the absurdity of the whole concept, and the tone of every performance is pitch-perfect. It remains to be seen how well they'll be able to sustain the premise in a way that keeps it fresh, but I'll stay with it as long as they do.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I think it fizzles.
...Taika and Jermaine aren't in the "Hollywood machine" though. From an interview:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikia
While committed to the project, Waititi — who has his tongue firmly planted in his cheek in most on-camera interviews — warned fans not to expect the sequel any time in the immediate future. “You aren’t going to see it for seven years,” said Waititi. “We are notoriously terrible at writing together, Jemaine and I. Usually takes place over emails. So we’ll email each other one line of dialogue once a month. ‘What We Do in the Shadows’ took six years to write.”
https://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/ta...es-1201893483/

And if you have an hour to spare, listen to him speak at length on writing, and his processes here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-3ozJZ4zWs

He writes a script. Then shoves it into a drawer, then leaves it there for literally years. Then when he eventually pulls the script out again and effectively re-writes it. So "We're Wolves" hasn't fizzled: its just being written on "kiwi-time."

Quote:
This is the second TV show, though. They also had a pretty bad spinoff comedy called Wellington Paranormal featuring the police from the original movie.
I don't think it was objectively "bad." I loved it to death and thought it was brilliant. But it was however very "New Zealand", and very very "Wellington", and many of the jokes (like "the Realm, Hataitai", which had me in hysterics) would have been incomprehensible outside of their local context, and even people outside of Wellington wouldn't have gotten that joke. It was made for NZ audiences and it was very successful here. WWDITS is made more for an international audience, the US in particular, so the humour is more likely to hit the mark over there.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:28 PM

The picture of the
SPOILER:
burning donkey
helped put to rest an internal question of whether they were pulling from a collection of authentic weird-ass woodcarvings and lithographs or if they were making them for the show.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The picture of the
SPOILER:
burning donkey
helped put to rest an internal question of whether they were pulling from a collection of authentic weird-ass woodcarvings and lithographs or if they were making them for the show.
My wife and I both commented the same thing. I looked at her and said, "Well, there is no way that picture existed before this."
Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Mrs. Homie and I are both really into it. It can be uneven, though.

I hope they reveal something about how they obtain their familiars. So far, it's just sort of known that they have familiars who seem to tolerate their station, if not enjoy it. Little explanation of how they got there though.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Watched it. Didn't like it. Not my thing I guess.
Loved the movie, I'm "eh" on the TV series. I'll give it a few more tries.

One of my favorite movie quotes:
"We're werewolves, not swearwolves!"
Old 04-11-2019, 05:37 PM

Vanessa Bayer did show up (as promised) in this third episode. I loved it, particularly the way our energy vampire

SPOILER:
clearly displayed some vulnerabilities at the ending of their relationship. Who'd have thought that possible?!

The werewolf story didn't work quite as well for me, but still had some great moments.
SPOILER:
Fetch!!!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 PM

The Werewolf story pretty much was one joke in the end, but Vanessa Bayer interaction with the energy vampire was great.