Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 AM

Fashion & Dressing Your Age: How Important Is It?

I see several people of all ages wearing hoodies & sweatpants to dress shirts & dockers. Family values may be at play because my mom always told us that we should look "presentable" back when I was in high school. A nice shirt/polo and pair of jeans/shorts. However, I always felt more comfortable dressing casually, mainly sweatpants during the cooler months.

Even though I still dress up here and there, I'd rather choose joggers over jeans. But once I get a better job after college, then dressing up is almost mandatory for certain jobs. Adults can still wear what they want, but from what I've heard, dressing your age is important, especially for first impressions.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:18 AM

When it comes to finding a job, its most important to dress to the job you're seeking not your age. If you're looking to be a mover or automechanic or plumber or carpenter, going to an interview in a suit and tie is probably going to hinder you as much as shorty shorts and a bedazzled tank top but I wouldn't go with sweats and a hoodie either, unless the hoody is outerwear over a polo shirt because it's chilly outside

Last edited by DorkVader; 04-09-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

I think I've mentioned this before, but it amazes me as I'm getting older, that regular women not ten years older than me are wearing 'old lady clothes' that I recall when my own grandmother was a similar age. You know, sensible skirts and pants, cardigans, etc.

These women would have been teenagers in the late 50's into the 60's, listening to rock and roll, wearing bell-bottoms and hot pants, and probably smoking some hooch or taking pills at music festivals around the country.

And now they look like old ladies. What the hell happened?
Old 04-09-2019, 02:41 AM

I'm not sure about dressing your age - I think it's more important to wear what suits you.

I'm not convinced that sweatpants suits anyone over the age of 3.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
They got old.

The "old lady clothes" tend to be more comfortable than more formal clothes, and once you no longer have to impress an employer or dress to "catch" a man, and your bones/joints start aching more and getting good sleep is harder and all the other crap of age starts catching up with you it's not uncommon to focus more on what feels comfy than fashion or listening to mom, who is probably deceased at that point anyway.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 AM

I was also raised to "look presentable"... which was a very narrow window of being what would now be considered dressy. Suit and tie for work and church, otherwise "casual but nice": pleated khakis and button-down shirts (all nicely ironed of course). Oh, and "going out", even if it was a mid-level chain restaurant, meant at least a sportcoat. Which was looked upon as many steps below a suit. Don't forget freshly-shined pinchy leather shoes, and a short haircut with a straight part (to distinguish yourself from those liberals and hippies: "Your part should be as straight as your morals").

Seriously, I spent my first eighteen years on this planet uncomfortable as hell. I respect a company that doesn't have a dress code, and a society that lets people wear what they want. My last three jobs had people in suits and others in jeans or sweats, and part of being professional was to not get one's starched 'n' pressed undies in a bundle about what others wear.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:19 AM

I always was given the message that I should dress appropriately, whatever that turned out to be. In other words, if my workplace was a shirt and tie kind of place, then I should be wearing a shirt and tie. If it's a khakis and polos, then that's what I should be wearing. If it's jeans and t-shirts, then that's what's appropriate. The general idea is that you don't really want to be "that guy"- ether the guy who's wearing a polo, casual shoes and khakis in a "business casual" job when everyone else is wearing dress shirts, slacks, and dress shoes. Nor do you want to be that guy wearing khakis and a dress shirt when everyone else is wearing t-shirts and jeans either.

As far as outside of work, my parents never really had a lot of concern- in general, they had their clothes, and didn't make a distinction. I tend toward dressing down a bit- unless we're going out or doing something a bit more formal, I'm usually a t-shirt and shorts/jeans kind of guy. But I don't really try to keep up with current fashion. Partly because I don't much care (I'm 46, married and fat), and partially because a lot of today's male fashion leans toward the effete and prissy. I'll be damned if I'll wear skinny jeans or cultivate some kind of gay lumberjack beard (big, like a lumberjack, but trimmed and groomed just-so). I'm perfectly content being something of a dinosaur in my straight-leg jeans.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Maybe a bit of a tangent, but my impression is that much "young adult" fashion shows a lot of skin or emphasizes curves/muscles that aren't exactly strong points for most older men and women. Kinda a corollary to "Most people look better if they cover some things up." I generally think most men and women are more attractive if they "dress their age" - or at least within a decade or so of it. I'm talking about women in their 30s-40s who dress/make-up from Forever 21. Or middle aged men with beer bellies who readily take off their shirts.

As far as work goes, it is always safest to go with something somewhat conservative - at least until you get the job and understand the workplace culture. Dockers and a polo shirt will be good interviewing just about any place, and a shirt and tie would not be likely to be too out of place. Come to think of it, dockers and a polo would be "age appropriate" for just about anyone, from grade school to the retirement home! If you are interviewing someplace that considers itself very hip or "arty", or trying to impress/appeal to that sorta folk, adjust accordingly. Same with anyplace very conservative/formal/snooty.

Times change. I remember when Seinfeld had George wearing sweatpants, which they described as advertising that he had "given up." Now I see folk wearing PJ pants to walk the dog, go to the store... Wear what you want. But then don't complain if it appears that folk draw conclusions from your attire.

One reason (most) lawyers tend to dress very conservatively is that they do not want their clothes to distract from what they say.

Last edited by Dinsdale; 04-09-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:31 AM

If you're an adult, dress like it.
If you have to wear sweatpants and the like to be comfortable, that means you need to learn how to buy clothes that fit and are well-made.

Dress like you value yourself, because what you wear projects an image to the world about whether you wish to be taken seriously or not.

Above all, serious does not mean boring. In the words of Agent K -- "Make this look good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
One reason (most) lawyers tend to dress very conservatively is that they do not want their clothes to distract from what they say.
Lawyers usually have to maintain a dress code in court but they are allowed freedom in certain things, so the lawyers I know all wear very fashionable eyeglasses.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
If you have to wear sweatpants and the like to be comfortable, that means you need to learn how to buy clothes that fit and are well-made.

Dress like you value yourself, because what you wear projects an image to the world about whether you wish to be taken seriously or not.

Above all, serious does not mean boring. In the words of Agent K -- "Make this look good."
I agree with this, and I also have always found that wearing sloppy and baggy clothing (sweatpants, I'm looking at you. Again) makes me feel out of shape and unattractive. It just doesn't make me feel good.

Don't get me wrong, I won't dress up every day, but I wear nicely fitted clothes and spend good money on casual stuff like jeans. And I feel a lot better prepared to face the day because of it.*

*Disclaimer. My father is a retired tailor - regard for good clothing was mandatory in our house.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
They got old.

The "old lady clothes" tend to be more comfortable than more formal clothes, and once you no longer have to impress an employer or dress to "catch" a man, and your bones/joints start aching more and getting good sleep is harder and all the other crap of age starts catching up with you it's not uncommon to focus more on what feels comfy than fashion or listening to mom, who is probably deceased at that point anyway.
I took a different meaning from kambuckta's post (please correct me if I'm wrong)--that we're not talking "old lady clothes" vs. more youth-oriented sexy styles or formal stuff, but rather vs. comfortable stuff like jeans/sweats/hoodies.

I'm in my middle 50s now, which is probably the leading edge of when "old lady clothes" start making an appearance, but I doubt they'll ever get me out of my jeans/hoodies/nerdy T-shirts. If I make it to 70 or 80, I'll probably still be wearing jeans and nerdy T-shirts.

I've often wondered what retirement homes will be like when my generation and younger are old enough to live in them. I always think of them as full of polyester, blue-haired ladies, guys with their pants pulled up to their nipples, and Mantovani music, but I wonder if our retirement homes will be full of jeans and Led Zeppelin.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I'm in my middle 50s now, which is probably the leading edge of when "old lady clothes" start making an appearance, but I doubt they'll ever get me out of my jeans/hoodies/nerdy T-shirts. If I make it to 70 or 80, I'll probably still be wearing jeans and nerdy T-shirts.
I play a lot of bluegrass music w/ folk older than me (58). We play at farmers' markets, and my wife and I enjoy hiking. IMO, jeans and t-shirt are ageless (tho they do tend to convey certain images.) There are several folk I play with, and I wonder if they OWN anything other than t-shirts and jeans.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I've mentioned this before, but it amazes me as I'm getting older, that regular women not ten years older than me are wearing 'old lady clothes' that I recall when my own grandmother was a similar age. You know, sensible skirts and pants, cardigans, etc.

These women would have been teenagers in the late 50's into the 60's, listening to rock and roll, wearing bell-bottoms and hot pants, and probably smoking some hooch or taking pills at music festivals around the country.

I'm not sure how old you are, but at 56, I don't dress like my mother did at 56. I also don't dress like I did at 36 or 46 , and at 78, my mother doesn't dress like my grandmother did in her 60s. I suspect that your idea of "old lady clothes" may have changed a bit over time. Sure , there are differences as people age- I wear lower heels than I used to and I wear cardigans more often now ( oddly, because I 'm often too warm and need to wear sleeveless blouses - you can't strip the sleeves off a long-sleeved blouse.) But my mother gave up jeans in her thirties and wore polyester pants at my age while my grandmother usually dressed like Edith Bunker. ( who was supposed to be in her forties when All In the Family started) .

ETA Oh, and although I basically live in jeans when I'm not working, the closest my mother ( and her contemporaries0 came to jeans at my age was some elastic waist things with a "jeans pattern" printed on them. 14

Last edited by doreen; 04-09-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by doreen; 04-09-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Interesting. At 58, I think I dress pretty similarly to 48 and even 38. Don't imagine making major changes over the next decade or 2 other than fewer work clothes after I retire.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I've mentioned this before, but it amazes me as I'm getting older, that regular women not ten years older than me are wearing 'old lady clothes' that I recall when my own grandmother was a similar age. You know, sensible skirts and pants, cardigans, etc. . . . What the hell happened?
Sensible skirts and pants are the classics. They don't go out of style and force you to buy more clothes.

You must be a bit younger than me. Grandma A always wore house-dresses. Pants were for men. Grandma B would wear first capris, and later polyester pants, but then she thought of herself as daring. I was in junior high when, controversially, they started letting the girls wear pants on Fridays. Not jeans, of course. Jeans were strictly forbidden. And technically so were nylons, although that had been ignored for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
I'm not sure how old you are, but at 56, I don't dress like my mother did at 56. I also don't dress like I did at 36 or 46 , and at 78, my mother doesn't dress like my grandmother did in her 60s. I suspect that your idea of "old lady clothes" may have changed a bit over time. Sure , there are differences as people age- I wear lower heels than I used to and I wear cardigans more often now ( oddly, because I 'm often too warm and need to wear sleeveless blouses - you can't strip the sleeves off a long-sleeved blouse.) But my mother gave up jeans in her thirties and wore polyester pants at my age while my grandmother usually dressed like Edith Bunker. (who was supposed to be in her forties when All In the Family started) .

ETA Oh, and although I basically live in jeans when I'm not working, the closest my mother (and her contemporaries) came to jeans at my age was some elastic waist things with a "jeans pattern" printed on them. 14
I'm seeing a possible pattern of no nylons. I totally support ditching nylons.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:41 AM

I'm (mumble mumble) over 60, retired, still in fair health, but don't have much of a life any more. I have put on a lot of weight from medications and, well, eating and sitting around. I never liked wearing jeans even when I was young and slim. I didn't have the body shape, had to cut a lot of the leg off for my short stocky legs, and they just hurt when I wore them, all my life. Now I have a fairly good looking dark pair of spandex type pants that look like denim if you don't look too close, that I reserve for wearing out of the house. To a party, walking in the mall, out to a restaurant. T-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies and often a flannel shirt or dressy denim or cotton shirt/blouse to wear as a little jacket. I look neat, clean, put together, and I have absolutely nobody to impress, so I will be as comfortable as possible. In the house, I wear comfy capris, sweatpants (straight leg, not bunched at the ankle) or leggings in neutral colors and camisoles, t-shirts, or sweatshirts according to the temperature. In hot weather, I have several cotton sundresses I buy from catalogs, with little coordinating 'shrugs' or short sleeved blouses to cover up a bit. I never wear t-shirts and shorts, I am now too short and squat and look like a walking Spongebob Squarepants. Yeah, you all wait till YOU get older and thicker, no one is going to be looking at you anyway, and you will find running out to get gas, to the bank, or in for a coffee, sweatpants or polyester pants are a fine option. Who are you to judge people for comfortable clothing, anyway? They may have medical problems, have distressing lives with no time to gussy up, or opportunities to go out dressed to kill, wining and dining. .... (Like that makeup commercial with that ancient model who is like 100 years old, who says 'they say after a certain age, you give up. I wonder what age that is'? And she still looks 100 years old, plastered with makeup or not. Sure, she's idle and rich as fuck, pampered and catered to all her life, still a size 2. Woot. I bet SHE doesn't take care of a sick husband, a grown kid recovering from a horrible accident, or parents with dementia living 20 miles away. Throwing on the elastic waist pants and a coordinating top is the way to go sometimes. ) . I haven't 'given up' so much as adjusted to the realities!

Last edited by salinqmind; 04-09-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting. At 58, I think I dress pretty similarly to 48 and even 38. Don't imagine making major changes over the next decade or 2 other than fewer work clothes after I retire.
I think it's different for men. I really haven't seen men change their style of clothing - but part of the reason is because men in general have fewer choices. For most of my life , men ( and far enough back , boys) my age mostly wore jeans when they weren't working although as time passed dockers/cargo pants gained in popularity. Women in that same time period have worn everything from jeans to leggings to yoga pants to miniskirts to floor length dresses- and that only covers the bottom half of the body.

The one thing I have seen change in men is how they wear their clothes sometimes changes as they get older and their bodies change. That's when the shirts get untucked and the pants get worn below the belly.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

I dress the same now that I am 63 as I did when I was 23. Of course, I dressed like an old fuddy-duddy when I was 23, but still.

When I go out in public, I am usually with my wife, and nobody is looking at me. She doesn't wear "old lady clothes", but she doesn't have to. She is always well turned out, and she has learned that it does no good to ask me for fashion advice.

When the weather is nice, I have been known to walk the dog wearing a T-shirt, jeans or sweatpants, and a fedora. Is that age-appropriate? The dog doesn't care, and I am listening to audiobooks while we walk, so I can't hear the remarks anyway.

Regards,
Shodan, currently wearing a suit and tie, because I am at work
Old 04-09-2019, 12:18 PM

I wear jeans and a casual shirt (and tennis shoes) to my office, to depositions, and to restaurants. My wife has resolved herself that the most she can expect from me (or demand of me) is "no stains."

I wear a suit and tie to court, but other than that, I'm dressing like I did when I was 17.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

my Grandmas both wore dresses all of the time. One grandmother had pants to wear when fishing the other I don't think even owned pants. My mom grew up wearing jeans and a mans undershirt when she worked in the fields. She wore dresses for work until teachers were allowed to wear pants and never looked back. She mainly wears jeans now with nice knit tops doesn't even own a dress. I wore jeans until last summer when I broke my shoulder, I can't fasten a waistband anymore and may never be able to again so I am wearing elastic waisted pants now. So yes I have given up and if you did not know my health issues you would think that I have "given up."
Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post

Dress like you value yourself...
Of the people you're dressing for.

If I may be allowed a rant, this thread brings up one of my pet peeves.

I cannot begin to guess how many times I've been in a nice restaurant or some such location and seen a couple where the woman is clearly dressed in an outfit she put some thought and effort into; a nice dress, matching shoes, jewelry and handbag chosen perfectly, hair nice. The man, however, is wearing jeans and running shoes and just threw on whatever shirt was available.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of doing that to my wife. If we're going to a place where she puts special effort into her ensemble, I should do so as well. It isn't hard to put on a nice pair of pants, a nice pair of shoes, and to make sure your outfit works.

Anyway, that's my pet peeve.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
...My wife has resolved herself that the most she can expect from me (or demand of me) is "no stains."
I care so little about my clothes, that I've told my wife I'll wear pretty much anything she buys me to wear and is willing to launder (within broad categories of style and comfort).

Drives me nuts when she says, "That shirt doesn't go with those pants," so when we are going out together, I'll tell her to tell me what she wants me to wear. I don't care, and she does AND she has to look at me.

I long ago went to nothing but white dress shirts, because I didn't want to have to think about what shirt went with which ties/pants/suit...

Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the color-coded jumpsuit future they promised us in 502-602 sci-fi!

Last edited by Dinsdale; 04-09-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
It's one of mine too, RickJay!

When I was a little girl I went to private school and we had to wear dresses all the time. Then I went to public school, where we could wear jeans and it was like heaven!
Now I'm 48, and given any opportunity I'll be wearing a dress or skirt. They're so comfortable, and I look like a nice purty lady (hush! don't you pop my bubble!)

I'm very leery of becoming "mutton dressed as lamb", so when in doubt, I err on the side of conservatism. However, I don't think I'm wearing "old lady clothes" either. Won't T-shirts and spandex skinny jeans take me from here to the grave?
Old 04-09-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I cannot begin to guess how many times I've been in a nice restaurant or some such location and seen a couple where the woman is clearly dressed in an outfit she put some thought and effort into; a nice dress, matching shoes, jewelry and handbag chosen perfectly, hair nice. The man, however, is wearing jeans and running shoes and just threw on whatever shirt was available.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of doing that to my wife. If we're going to a place where she puts special effort into her ensemble, I should do so as well. It isn't hard to put on a nice pair of pants, a nice pair of shoes, and to make sure your outfit works.

I agree with your statement. I feel that both people in a situation like that need to dress similarly to each other. Unless if it's a causal dinner, but still.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta3535 View Post
I agree with your statement. I feel that both people in a situation like that need to dress similarly to each other. Unless if it's a causal dinner, but still.
I don't know about that. My wife wears what she wants and I wear what I want. She's always more dressed up than me. We're not miles apart, but anyone would say she's at least a notch above my level of dress.

Certainly if we're going to an event (wedding, charity gala, etc) we'll be on the same page. But 95% of the time, she's looking good and I'm looking like I'm ready to watch some football.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
... I look like a nice purty lady ...
This is easily my all-time favorite user name/sentence fragment combination.

As for dressing my age, outside of work I've been wearing jeans/shorts and t-shirts since I was in college thirty-some years ago. I'll probably be wearing this when they put me in the retirement home - but no Zeppelin or I'm not going.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Heh heh...the dung-coated appendages spring out later.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
When the weather is nice, I have been known to walk the dog wearing a T-shirt, jeans or sweatpants, and a fedora.
Gosh, that is one sharp-dressing dog.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
What's the difference between a well-dressed man and a dog?
The well-dressed man wears a 3-piece suit. The dog - just pants.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Speaking as a public-people-watcher, thanks! I don't judge anyone for preferring to be the "sloppy half" of a sartorially mismatched couple, but I do enjoy seeing a couple stepping out with similar dapperness levels. I know it's merely a kind of informal community performance art, but what's wrong with informal community performance art?

Other "community performance art events" I enjoy:

- A crowd of summer daytime wedding guests milling around in the sunshine in a riot of cheerful pastels and colors, rather than a funereal-looking assortment of little black dresses.

- Dressed-up people whose outerwear and baggage (purses, attache cases, etc.) looks like a put-together outfit with their hat and shoes, rather than just a shabby bag-lady disguise for a decent-looking outfit underneath (I sin against this principle myself all the time, I'm sorry to say).

- Little children in garments with animal ears/tails/scales/whatever: so cuuuuuute and Where the Wild Things Are-ish.

Last edited by Kimstu; 04-09-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I dress the same now that I am 63 as I did when I was 23. Of course, I dressed like an old fuddy-duddy when I was 23, but still.
Yeah, this is kind of me, too (I'm 59 now).

It's important to me not to make a fool out of myself. And men my age who try to dress like dudes in their 20s or 30s do indeed look like fools.

Work is easy. I'm convinced that the universal uniform of the IT drone is khakis and a blue button-down shirt. So that's easy.

Funny, I was out to dinner with my sister (approximately the same age) a little while back. She has always been quick to offer me fashion advice (or criticism, depending on your point of view), going back to our high school days.

She pointed out that every single thing I was wearing could have been purchased, and worn, in the mid-70s. I think I was wearing a pair of Levi's, Clark's desert boots, a blue button-down shirt, and a tan corduroy sport coat. She was right.

And I am totally cool with that. Because those clothes are just fine, age-appropriate (and, in fact, kind of ageless), and can be worn anywhere, any time, without provoking comments.

Oh, and (edit) I wear the same size now I did in my freshman year of college.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 04-09-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:13 PM

I live in the Colorado mountains. We dress for practicality. Heck, we have a foot of snow forecast for tomorrow and the next day.

I work in IT. I wear blue jeans, usually some sort of fleece pullover and boots/hiking shoes. I could wear shorts if I chose to, but it's rarely warm enough.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I always was given the message that I should dress appropriately, whatever that turned out to be. In other words, if my workplace was a shirt and tie kind of place, then I should be wearing a shirt and tie. If it's a khakis and polos, then that's what I should be wearing. If it's jeans and t-shirts, then that's what's appropriate. The general idea is that you don't really want to be "that guy"...
No, no! Resist anonymity. BE "that guy"! Bop through the hallways singing, doodle on the whiteboard before meetings, put out a bowl of circus peanuts, wear Chuck Taylors or Doc Martens. Be joyful, and maybe a smidgen of it will rub off on the rest of the uptight office.

Had a boss who always wore suits to important client meetings, and decided to take me along to one. We had to leave in ten minutes, and I told him I had a coat and tie behind my office door, and offered to shave before we left. "Don't you dare!" His voice boomed through the halls... "I told them I was bringing one of our most creative problem-solvers along. If you shave and dress up, you'll look like everyone else."
Old 04-12-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
I care so little about my clothes, that I've told my wife I'll wear pretty much anything she buys me to wear and is willing to launder (within broad categories of style and comfort).

Drives me nuts when she says, "That shirt doesn't go with those pants," so when we are going out together, I'll tell her to tell me what she wants me to wear. I don't care, and she does AND she has to look at me.

I long ago went to nothing but white dress shirts, because I didn't want to have to think about what shirt went with which ties/pants/suit...

Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the color-coded jumpsuit future they promised us in 502-602 sci-fi!
Ugh, I hate to pick on you Dinsdale, but you're exactly the kind of guy that makes my wife and I remark to each other "I'm so glad I'm gay" - the idea that a man can't be bothered to make an effort for his wife, and that she needs to dress him like he's a child. So unattractive.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:

I know a few women whose hubands would need to become total dandies to match the wives; one of those husbands didn't see his wife without makeup until they had been married for two years. What you think of as "special effort" can be special or it can be their baseline.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Even when I am walking the dog, I am not the better-dressed one.

Of course, Leet the Wonder DogTM goes for the minimalist look - a collar with his bling (rabies tag, ID, license tag) and always a bandanna in a variety of decorative colors, to set off his fur.

He be styling. Me - not so much.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

As a slight digression - is anyone ever comfortable wearing a style that would have gotten them ridiculed when they were in middle or high school? As a for instance, I'd be unlikely to wear capri length pants, which were scorned as "high water".
Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I have put on a lot of weight from medications and, well, eating and sitting around. ....
I bet SHE doesn't take care of a sick husband, a grown kid recovering from a horrible accident, or parents with dementia living 20 miles away.
Well, I put on weight due to medications and drinking more and not moving as much as I recovered from a horrible accident.

At Christmas I realized I weighed more than I ever had in my life despite exercising with more regularity in the previous year than I had in in the previous 12.

Then I realized I could use the phone I'm carrying around all the time to track what I'm eating, and now I weigh less than I did before my accident. And I fit into pants I haven't worn in years.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:

+1

I let my wife pick out my shirt and/or my sweater when we go out for dinner on Saturday nights. It gives her pleasure, which in turn gives me pleasure. Then we both have a nice time.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Dockers and a polo shirt will be good interviewing just about any place, and a shirt and tie would not be likely to be too out of place. Come to think of it, dockers and a polo would be "age appropriate" for just about anyone, from grade school to the retirement home!
See, around my office dockers and a polo is the standard male dress, but those younger than me leave their shirt untucked. Those older tend to tuck in their shirt. I was forever a tucker but within the last year my kids have convinced me that tucking in my shirt makes me look old. So I don't tuck anymore and that one change sure makes me feel more casual and less business.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 AM

I'm a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to fashion and dressing. I grew up poor so it wasn't like I had much options with what I wore back then. Now I am 50 and I work professionally from a home office and travel to client meetings. My daughters (4 and 9 months) are both in day care at a very good early childhood care facility. I drop them off each morning then return home to my home office. I assume the many of the other parents may draw the wrong impression of me because frankly it is 7 in the morning and I'm headed back to my home office so I'm wearing whatever I took off the night before. That may be sweatpants and hoodie/t-shirt, that may be jeans and a hoodie/t-shirt/polo, but in most cases it is very, very casual. Most of the other parents are in professional attire, from business casual, business suits, or for the nurses/doctors maybe scrubs. Basically, I probably look like an unemployed overweight middle-aged loser when in reality I'm employed. :-D

Now, if we are going out to dinner with friends or attending an event then I dress in ways that are more appropriate to my age, income level, and the image I want to portray publicly. I'm a bit overweight so I don't dress in clothing made for 20 year olds but I dress appropriately to my body type yet still fashionable and well-finished.

I think the biggest mistake people make when they are older is continuing to dress as they did when they are younger.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:18 AM

I work in a very conservative industry in an office that is mostly young males with a smattering of mostly (frumpy) middle aged women. I'm a middle age woman but I sure as hack am not, and will always resist being, frumpy. I don't wear anything fancy, and certainly not expensive, but fashion is kind of a hobby for me. And frankly, I love when people compliment me on my style (at least that's ONE thing I have going for me )

One sour faced beotch, who has thankfully since retired, said to me "who are you all dressed up for?". She was in IT and so wore jeans every day. On the one hand she couldn't conceive of why I'd bother to dress up for work since "no one sees" me. Yet, she always had elaborate (read "tacky"0 manicures/ pedicures and glitzy sandals.

Sorry, the OP asked specifically about dressing one's age. Kind of hard to say since to people of the exact same age chronologically can be very different ages in their soul.
I guess it comes down to some people can pull off some looks while others can't.

Also, for my middle aged sistren, even if your legs have always been your best feature, wearing the shortest skirt possible will not detract from your giant midsection. This is a good example of not dressing one's age.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Ugh, I hate to pick on you Dinsdale, but you're exactly the kind of guy that makes my wife and I remark to each other "I'm so glad I'm gay" - the idea that a man can't be bothered to make an effort for his wife, and that she needs to dress him like he's a child. So unattractive.
My husband is a little bit colorblind - not so much that it affects anything major, but often he cannot tell what shirts and pants go together, so he asks me. I pick out his ties because I can see the colors better.

He misses being in the Navy because he never had to worry about what to wear - it was decided for him.

He's long said he wishes there were Garanimals for adults - which would suit both those who don't care to make the effort to choose clothing and those who can't really tell what works together.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:31 PM

I do care how I dress but I don't dress according to my age. I have a snow white stubble and a white skunk stripe so I look my age (50), but I wear anything from a tailored suit to ripped jeans depending on the day. I don't care what others think about that, although it does seem to unnerve some people here in Japan - they honestly don't know how to peg me sometimes.

Last edited by Isamu; 04-24-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

I am 66. I wear jeans and a polo shirt with the company logo for work. Off work I wear jeans with Hawaiian shirts in warm weather and jeans with flannel shirts in cold weather.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
No, no! Resist anonymity. BE "that guy"! Bop through the hallways singing, doodle on the whiteboard before meetings, put out a bowl of circus peanuts, wear Chuck Taylors or Doc Martens. Be joyful, and maybe a smidgen of it will rub off on the rest of the uptight office.

Had a boss who always wore suits to important client meetings, and decided to take me along to one. We had to leave in ten minutes, and I told him I had a coat and tie behind my office door, and offered to shave before we left. "Don't you dare!" His voice boomed through the halls... "I told them I was bringing one of our most creative problem-solvers along. If you shave and dress up, you'll look like everyone else."
I think I'm already weird enough under the surface that I don't need to make a bigger point of it through what I wear.

That, and generally speaking being fashionable requires more effort and thought than I'm willing to put in, between having to gin up ensembles that look right together, clothing that's not necessarily machine wash/machine dry/no-ironing, and often is very hard to find in my size (I'm about 6'1", have a '44' waist according to most clothing brands, and my chest and shoulders are large too.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

64 year "old lady" checking in. For my job at a store owned by Orthodox Jewish people, the clothes have to be "clean and appropriate." I generally wear T-shirts (that get covered up with the red shirt I wear at work), nice pants, socks and sneakers. Since I have a 34" inseam and a 24" (!) waist), the pants have to have an elastic waist that I can take in.

The biggest problem we have with young female employees is convincing them not to let their breasts "hang out."
Old 09-07-2019, 01:59 PM

I dress pretty much the same way I've dressed for the last 30 years. In many cases, in the same clothes.

I did give up pantyhose. (Ooh what a sacrifice. Sarcasm.) I replaced them with little invisible socklets, if I'm not wearing sandals, and leg makeup (sometimes).

My workplaces have been pretty lax about what you wear. Most recent one: no jeans, and then we moved to not having an office and working from home so--pajamas! Except on days when getting together with the boss at my house or hers.

Macy's did have a dress code, and you could take it up a couple of notches, but not down. As long as you looked all black from the back. Black pants with gray pinstripe were okay. Colored shirt with black pants/skirt and black cardigan or jacket, also okay. Any color shoes! Not that you can really go crazy with shoes when you're on your feet the whole shift.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 09-07-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:56 PM

I'm 45 years old and I have no idea how people my age are supposed to dress.

I work at home, so to me, "formal" means shoes. I have one suit. I wore it a year and a half ago to my son's Bar Mitzvah; I'll probably wear it again for his wedding. When I want to dress nice - like, when going out to dinner with my wife - I wear my nice jeans, sneakers, and a good short-sleeved button-down shirt, not tucked in. My clothing is casual, clean and good quality. I neither know now care whether it is fashionable.

In general, I like the way I look.