Old 03-22-2019, 07:32 AM

Banked a critical win in our league last night - should be enough for safety but it is now out of our hands, although our competitors for the drop would need to blow out a far stronger side to overtake us. Pard and I got the job done - 48 imps from four vuln swings from bidding and making 3 thin games, plus one filthy third seat multi I rolled out to push the opps into a no-play 5D when 3N was cold.

This aggressive approach cost us once, to which I invite your scorn and derision - holding something like S Qx H QJT9xxx D xxx C J first seat fav vuln, I decided I didn't like 3H there so put it into the multi 2D. Overcall 3C on your left and then pard goes 3D. 3S from RHO. I misapprehended pard's bid here, and thought it was strong and interested in game, so rolled out a fatuous 4H call. Promptly doubled (by RHO) to go 3 off as pard is empty of hearts, and lucky to escape with that - LHO was void in diamonds, so it could have been completely stretchered if they had found the diamond switch.
I think 3D has to be to play, no interest in the majors, and I can only bid over it with a strong hand. In the event a quiet 3H opener would have elicited 3S from RHO to buy the contract, and prob doesn't even make.

Last edited by Busy Scissors; 03-22-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Banked a critical win in our league last night
Well done!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Banked a critical win in our league last night - should be enough for safety
Congratulations.
Quote:
This aggressive approach cost us once, to which I invite your scorn and derision - holding something like S Qx H QJT9xxx D xxx C J first seat fav vuln, I decided I didn't like 3H there so put it into the multi 2D. Overcall 3C on your left and then pard goes 3D. 3S from RHO. I misapprehended pard's bid here, and thought it was strong and interested in game, so rolled out a fatuous 4H call. Promptly doubled (by RHO) to go 3 off as pard is empty of hearts, and lucky to escape with that - LHO was void in diamonds, so it could have been completely stretchered if they had found the diamond switch.
I think 3D has to be to play, no interest in the majors, and I can only bid over it with a strong hand. In the event a quiet 3H opener would have elicited 3S from RHO to buy the contract, and prob doesn't even make.
I would open 3H, but on the actual auction it is normal to play that a new suit by preemptor's partner is forcing in a noncompetitive auction but non-forcing in a competitive one. However, it is dangerous for partner to bid 3D with no hearts because if you have diamond shortage, you are likely to bid 3H.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

The dealing machine has been at it again. Yesterday my partner held void QJ986 AK1086543 void. Game all. Partner opened 1S (of course) and RHO bid... 2D! She passed and it came back to me and I doubled. Partner passed this (of course) and her LHO rescued with... 2H! Before she could get a chance to apply the axe to this, RHO bid 2NT, doubled and all passed.

Opponents have a 5-0 diamond "fit", getting a 8-0 break; a 4-4 spade fit, getting a 5-0 break, and a 5-3 club fit, getting a 5-0 break. They only went 2 down in 2NT as whenever anyone got on lead they were endplayed.

The 2D overcaller had KJ54 K QJ972 AK8. I think I would overcall 1NT with that.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
The 2D overcaller had KJ54 K QJ972 AK8. I think I would overcall 1NT with that.
With a singleton King of Hearts? 2D seems fine to me. I'm confused as to the bidding sequence. How did it 'come back to you'? Once LHO bids 2H a contract of 2N seems entirely reasonable though over 2N I might convert to 3S as partner obviously has 3+ spades and a double stop for her bid and I'm seeing plenty of ruffing value from my diamond void.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:45 PM

I'm have trouble parsing this as well - am I right that the "Partner" who opened 1S was your partner's partner (i.e. you) and the bidding went:
1S - 2D - P(!) - P
Dbl - P - P - 2H
P - 2NT - Dbl - All P ?

I wouldn't overcall 1NT on KJ54 K QJ972 AK8 with 1S on my right and two players yet to speak. If the singleton K was Clubs, then maybe, but as it stands there's way too much chance of winding up in 3H or 4H on a 5-1 fit.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
I'm have trouble parsing this as well - am I right that the "Partner" who opened 1S was your partner's partner (i.e. you) and the bidding went:
1S - 2D - P(!) - P
Dbl - P - P - 2H
P - 2NT - Dbl - All P ?
Correct. Sorry it was confusing.

Quote:
I wouldn't overcall 1NT on KJ54 K QJ972 AK8 with 1S on my right and two players yet to speak. If the singleton K was Clubs, then maybe, but as it stands there's way too much chance of winding up in 3H or 4H on a 5-1 fit.
Partner does not expect any more than two hearts, so is unlikely to be bidding higher with only five of them. And stiff king is better than two small anyway. For example, K opposite AQxxx plays for one loser 63% of the time. xx opposite AQxxx plays for one loser 18% of the time.

The benefit of 1NT is that it gets your values across and you don't have to bid a crappy suit at the 2-level. With 8 or 9 points partner could easily pass 2D when you have a game on.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Had a fun hand last night.

I held S: JT9xxx H:AQxx DAx C:x and opened 1S. Partner held S:AKQxxx H:KJxx D:x C:KQ! He raised to 4S which I left. The lead was the Ace of Clubs and after dummy was tabled, I just tabled my own hand and claimed. The question arose of how to reach 6S. We decided that if we had being playing splinters the bidding would have gone 1S - 4D (splinter) - 4H (cue) - 4N (Blackwood) - 5H (2 Aces) - 6S. But we weren't playing splinters so how should we have bid?

At other tables my hand passed and raised partner's opening 1S to 4. Personally, I'd open that hand with a strong 2S or 2C.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:17 AM

Make partner's hand a little weaker and bidding might be a challenge, but as is: Jump to (any variety of) Blackwood! Opposite three Aces, 13 tricks will be at worst on a finesse.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Had a fun hand last night.

I held S: JT9xxx H:AQxx DAx C:x and opened 1S. Partner held S:AKQxxx H:KJxx D:x C:KQ! He raised to 4S which I left. The lead was the Ace of Clubs and after dummy was tabled, I just tabled my own hand and claimed. The question arose of how to reach 6S. We decided that if we had being playing splinters the bidding would have gone 1S - 4D (splinter) - 4H (cue) - 4N (Blackwood) - 5H (2 Aces) - 6S. But we weren't playing splinters so how should we have bid?

At other tables my hand passed and raised partner's opening 1S to 4. Personally, I'd open that hand with a strong 2S or 2C.
If you have no game-forcing raise, you can't bid the hand. Jacoby 2NT takes about 30 seconds to discuss with partner, fills a gaping hole in Acol, and is the tool most people learn first in a natural bidding system.

You wouldn't make a direct splinter in response holding 18hcp, as it goes - too strong. Splinters are tightly defined in terms of shape (obv) but also strength - pard needs to know exactly where they stand to evaluate slam, as it puts you on the 4 level immediately. I play 10-12 which I think is fairly common.

There are other sequences where a splinter can have quite different hcp qualities, but that immediate bid from responder has to be quite disciplined in terms of strength.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:10 PM

1S - 3H is a game-forcing raise in every natural system I've heard of, and it works fine here: 1S - 3H, 4H - 4NT, 5H - 6S (if you're playing RKCB, that 5H will be 5S, but it matters not).

Jacoby 2NT, if you're playing it, is better (and it works over an opening 1H, while 1H - 2S gets risky if partner raises Spades), but a lot of Acol players play 1H/S - 2NT as an invitational raise rather than an unconditional force.

Or there's a straight Blackwood 4NT, as septimus suggested.
Whatever the system, 4S is a serious underbid - you have a 4-loser hand and a massive fit.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:31 AM

Assuming partner has a 5-card suit (and even the "Often 4"ers don't open Jxxx, do they?), it is a 60% a priori chance that he has two or fewer hearts. (The a posteriori chance is even higher since RHO failed to pre-empt in a minor.)

This could be a textbook hand, even with the two Queens removed, of where an immediate jump to Blackwood is absolutely clear-cut. (Or is the field so tough that making 7S will be below average, that you need to discover 13 top tricks in No Trump?)

Save the mental effort for the next board; I hear it involves a winkle squeeze!
Old 04-12-2019, 03:22 AM

Even this beginner knows that 1S - 4S implies a relatively weak holding by responder. Serious raised eyebrow there. I think merrick has the right sequence - change suit to force another bid, and jump to show extra strength. Opener initially thinks hearts are going to be trumps, but it doesn't matter - responder will always make sure it's spades.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Assuming partner has a 5-card suit (and even the "Often 4"ers don't open Jxxx, do they?),
They would if they were going to rebid NT. Say you were playing a 15-17 NT and had 13 HCP and were 4333. You open 1S, pass partner's 1NT or 2S and over any other 2 bid rebid 2N.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
1S - 3H is a game-forcing raise in every natural system I've heard of, and it works fine here: 1S - 3H, 4H - 4NT, 5H - 6S (if you're playing RKCB, that 5H will be 5S, but it matters not).

Jacoby 2NT, if you're playing it, is better (and it works over an opening 1H, while 1H - 2S gets risky if partner raises Spades), but a lot of Acol players play 1H/S - 2NT as an invitational raise rather than an unconditional force.

Or there's a straight Blackwood 4NT, as septimus suggested.
Whatever the system, 4S is a serious underbid - you have a 4-loser hand and a massive fit.
Do you really mean that 1S - 3H is a "raise", i.e. guarantees spade support, or just that it is a game forcing bid? I have played ACOL, Standard American and 2/1 and have never come across 3H being a raise in any of those systems, but in all it would be a game-forcing jump shift showing hearts.

I agree with the rest of the post and comments by others about Jacoby 2NT and splinters (limited in high cards) being the way forward with game-going hands, leaving a direct 4S for weak, distributional hands, e.g. Qxxxx x Axxx xxx.

For splinters, I like a style where there are two levels of splinter - 9-11 HCP and 12 - 14. You show the former by bidding one over the trump suit, i.e. 1S - 3NT and 1H - 3S. These say "I have a game force, 9-11 HCP and a singleton/void somewhere." If opener has no interest in slam, he signs off in 4 of the major and you have not given away the information to opponents about where the shortage is. An immediate splinter shows 12 - 14 HCP.

Traditional Jacoby 2NT has some flaws, principally that the sequence 1S - 2NT - 4S (showing a minimum) preempts responder if he has a very good hand, so now has to make slam tries at the 5-level. Experts generally use modified responses to J2NT.

On the actual hand, no matter what you play, 4S is way too wimpy with that mountain.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Do you really mean that 1S - 3H is a "raise", i.e. guarantees spade support, or just that it is a game forcing bid?
You are correct, I was misunderstanding. It's an unconditional game force, but says nothing about Spades.

I'll still defend it as the best way to handle this hand if you're not playing something like Jacoby - you need to get your strength across and 4S just doesn't do that.
It gets more awkward if you don't have a second suit to force in - Murphy says that that if you force with say 1S - 3C on a 6-3-1-3 distribution, partner will immediately raise your phony suit, though in practice you can usually investigate slam and then correct to Spades.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

I dislike the 3H raise as it consumes too much bidding space. 2H or 2S over 1 of a minor would be a different matter. In this case the bidding would go 1S - 3H - 4H and you've missed the opportunity for cue-bidding and have to go straight to Blackwood.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:37 AM

Questions about Jacoby 2NT playing 5-card majors.

(1) Does anyone play that that bid is allowed with 3-card support? It seems to me that over 1H, any other bid with, e.g. Ax-AQx-Kxxx-xxxx, just muddies the waters unnecessarily.

(2) In response to 2NT, opener is supposed to bid 4M, 3NT, 3M with a minimum, above-minimum, or strong hand respectively. My regular partner insists that this is unnecessary precision as to strength and that 3NT should show a 5-3-3-2 suitable for play in No Trump. Do y'all agree with me that he's wrong?

(3) Some advocate that in response to 2NT, opener needs a sound opener (13 hcp OR a good suit) to show his shortness; with 12hcp or less AND a mediocre suit he should bid 4M despite the singleton. This makes sense to me. What do others think? (Replace the 13/12 hcp with 12/11 hcp if you open super-light.)

Last edited by septimus; 04-13-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kibbitz mode ON!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

(1) Does anyone play that that bid is allowed with 3-card support? It seems to me that over 1H, any other bid with, e.g. Ax-AQx-Kxxx-xxxx, just muddies the waters unnecessarily.
I have seen it, but rarely. I do not. With the hand given, you bid 2D then 4H next time. There's no need to bid 4-card suits up the line when you intend to support hearts next, so you should show your better suit.

Quote:
(2) In response to 2NT, opener is supposed to bid 4M, 3NT, 3M with a minimum, above-minimum, or strong hand respectively. My regular partner insists that this is unnecessary precision as to strength and that 3NT should show a 5-3-3-2 suitable for play in No Trump. Do y'all agree with me that he's wrong?
I agree with you. You have used up lots of room with the 2NT bid so to bid 3NT without giving any indication of strength means you get to the 4-level before being able to explore. And how often do you want to play in 3NT when you hold a 5-4 major suit fit?

Quote:
(3) Some advocate that in response to 2NT, opener needs a sound opener (13 hcp OR a good suit) to show his shortness; with 12hcp or less AND a mediocre suit he should bid 4M despite the singleton. This makes sense to me. What do others think? (Replace the 13/12 hcp with 12/11 hcp if you open super-light.)
I posted elsewhere that I think the jump to 4M is a weakness of traditional J2NT responses. I prefer a bid of 3C to show a minimum. Responder then has a means of asking for shortness (3D). However, if not playing that method, I prefer to show shortage if I have it to avoid preempting partner with a 4M bid.

Here is an article on J2NT and alternative responses. https://bridgewinners.com/article/vi...ng-jacoby-2nt/
Old 05-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Dammit, I missed out on 7N last night. I'd gone Blackwood and squeaked when my partner was about to pass my bid of 5N. I fessed up and pointed out that it was Unauthorised Information so she should pass. 7N was, of course, cold.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:26 PM

I picked up a genuine yarborough tonight, no card higher than a nine, which I can't recall having before. After the board the woman on my right said she'd only ever had one in her life, and as she looked about 83 I decided to take a photo of it, thinking it was exceptionally rare.

Looking it up it's a probability of 1 in every 1828 hands - so fairly rare but you'll likely pick one up every couple of years if you played a club game once a week.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I've had at least one this year already.

ETA: I play several thousand boards a year.

Last edited by Quartz; 05-07-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Tonight's disaster:

Sitting South in the 4th seat all vul I hold

S: K
H: AQJx
D: Axx
C: AKQJx

The bidding goes:

W: 2 Spades
N: Pass
E: 3 Spades
S: Double
W: Pass
N: 4 Diamonds
E: Pass

What do I bid now?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Ugh - too much to pass, and assuming a spade loser then a slam requires partner to pull trumps cleanly and may still need the heart king onside.

Unless the opponents are real jokers, partner will have at most 5 cards in the majors, leaving 8. Might be 4-4 in the minors and liked diamonds better, but very likely to have 5 or more diamonds

I bid 5D

Last edited by K364; 06-27-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Missed edit window again (why is it so short?)

Thinking that East only has 3 spades not 4. Partner has 50-50 chance of having 5 diamonds. Match points I pass, otherwise bid 5D
Old 06-28-2019, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Missed edit window again (why is it so short?)

Thinking that East only has 3 spades not 4. Partner has 50-50 chance of having 5 diamonds. Match points I pass, otherwise bid 5D
I bid 5 clubs. All pass.

Partner tabled this:

S: A
H: 9xxx
D: Q9xxxx
C: xx

I get a spade lead won in Dummy. Now what?

Last edited by Biotop; 06-28-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

I won't spoil the suspense. I took the immediate heart finesse. It lost. West led another heart. Ruffed by East. East led a diamond which I ducked towards my Queen. But West was void in diamonds. A long painful series of cross ruffs followed. Down 4.

Passing 4 diamonds was the only winning move. No game was makeable. 30 high card points between partner and I. No game anywhere. A diamond game is ruined by the bad split. This despite the enemy not having the Ace or king of their 11 card suit.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

My other big hand this evening:

S: AKJxx
H: AKx
D: A
C: AKQT

28 high card points points.

I bid 2C, partner responds 2 Diamonds (in our system showing no Aces), I bid 2 spades. He responds 3 clubs (weakest near bust response). I bid 4 spades.

Partner tables:

S: xxx
H: QTx
D: xxxxx
C: xx

My only excuse is that I was tired. A heart was led. I called for the 10 on the board, which held the trick. I led a trump to my hand but instead of finessing I plunked down my Ace. Oops. I meant to finesse but then I didn't. So then there was no choice but to play the King of trumps, felling the doubleton Queen with west. After drawing trumps and cashing my winners, the club ten took the last trick. Making 7 and a great board for us.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Tonight's disaster:

Sitting South in the 4th seat all vul I hold

S: K
H: AQJx
D: Axx
C: AKQJx

The bidding goes:

W: 2 Spades
N: Pass
E: 3 Spades
S: Double
W: Pass
N: 4 Diamonds
E: Pass

What do I bid now?
5D. When opponents preempt, you have to play partner for something. Sometimes he will not, and you will go several down, but that's why people preempt.

I would have bid 4H with partner's hand. Doubler is more likely to have hearts than anything else, and if we are playing at the 4-level, might as well have a shot at the game bonus.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I won't spoil the suspense. I took the immediate heart finesse. It lost. West led another heart. Ruffed by East. East led a diamond which I ducked towards my Queen. But West was void in diamonds. A long painful series of cross ruffs followed. Down 4.
I would have done the same.

Quote:
Passing 4 diamonds was the only winning move. No game was makeable. 30 high card points between partner and I. No game anywhere. A diamond game is ruined by the bad split. This despite the enemy not having the Ace or king of their 11 card suit.
If I have worked out the hands correctly (West six spades, K10xx hearts and three clubs), then 4H makes.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would have done the same.

If I have worked out the hands correctly (West six spades, K10xx hearts and three clubs), then 4H makes.
How do I avoid losing two hearts and two diamonds?
Old 06-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How do I avoid losing two hearts and two diamonds?
West is endplayed and has either to give you a ruff and discard or lead away from his hearts and give up his second heart trick.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
West is endplayed and has either to give you a ruff and discard or lead away from his hearts and give up his second heart trick.
Nice.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM

So I've not been playing much recently, but ventured out this week to a club competition that we managed to win - name up on the board of a bridge club wall, I have arrived

Couple of hands: IMPs scoring converted to VPs, ten teams where you play 3 boards against each. Second to last table and you can see from the barometer that you are sitting second overall by a point or two - it's very close. You pick up this monster vuln:

S AKJT6
H A
D AK92
C AQ9

2C 2D (At least an ace or a king)
2S 3S
4C 4S
4N 5C (none, obv)
5D 6C (QS and KC).

Are you bidding the grand for glory? Would 6D carry a meaning of asking for a third round control or am I making stuff up?

Last table all vuln, pard makes a second seat 3C preempt - pass to you holding

S AT642
H A432
D KJ
C J6

How's 3N look to you here? Automatic, maybe, or wouldn't occur to me?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 PM

I'll bite:

For the first one, it depends if partner's 3S shows 4-card support. If so, I think 7S is worth the shot. If he's only promised 3, I take the money in 6S.

For the second, it depends slightly on whether I've just ploughed the slam hand, but assuming that partner's vulnerable pre-empts are decent quality, I think you have to go to 3NT. If the clubs run, it's lay-down, and you can't afford to miss a vulnerable game.
(If your partner is like mine and will cheerfully open 3C vulnerable on a suit to the K9 and a side K, pass)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I've not been playing much recently, but ventured out this week to a club competition that we managed to win - name up on the board of a bridge club wall, I have arrived
Congratulations.

Quote:
Couple of hands: IMPs scoring converted to VPs, ten teams where you play 3 boards against each. Second to last table and you can see from the barometer that you are sitting second overall by a point or two - it's very close. You pick up this monster vuln:

S AKJT6
H A
D AK92
C AQ9

2C 2D (At least an ace or a king)
2S 3S
4C 4S
4N 5C (none, obv)
5D 6C (QS and KC).

Are you bidding the grand for glory?
Depends on system agreements. Many people (at least in the US) play that the 3S bid is stronger than 4S. Also, what is your cue-bidding style? I play that cue bids show 1st or 2nd round control. Hence partner does not have KH. This is good news - it would be wasted unless part of KQx. Generally, though, I am a wuss about bidding grands. I would only bid it here if I felt we needed a big last match to win the event. But see my next paragraph.

Quote:
Would 6D carry a meaning of asking for a third round control or am I making stuff up?
It might well. Certainly 4NT - 5C - 6D asks for 3rd round control. But 4NT - 5C - 5NT - 6C (showing KC, not count of kings) - 6D means either, by partnership agreement, "bid 7 if you have KD", or "I have KD, bid 7 if you have something extra".

Either way, 6D must be a grand slam try asking partner for something extra. If you trust partner not to do something crazy, like pass it, it must be worth a shot.

Quote:
Last table all vuln, pard makes a second seat 3C preempt - pass to you holding

S AT642
H A432
D KJ
C J6

How's 3N look to you here? Automatic, maybe, or wouldn't occur to me?
As Merrick indicates, partner's preempting style is important. I wouldn't expect a garbage suit, vulnerable, but KQ109875 is not good enough unless there is another entry. With my most regular partner, we have agreed not to preempt at the 3-level holding a running suit. So partner does not have AKQxxxx.

I also agree with Merrick about state of the match. If I bid the grand and it made, I'd be more conservative here. If I bid it and it went down, I'd bid 3NT.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:42 AM

Thks for the replies - 3N did come in for a good score on a 2-2 club split, and pard's sensible preempt of AK seventh. I think this is a reasonable bid at IMPs as you're at least making it on the basis of what you know about pard's style - which is v solid second seat in my case.

I was all fired up to bid the grand if pard showed me the queen, but in reality the bidding sequence didn't go quite like I indicated, he signed off in 6S despite having it (unfortunately he's good for one or two of these basic lapses per match). I was annoyed at the table because 7 made on the diamond finesse (pard had JTxx I think with KD onside).
In hindsight, though, I can see that it's a bit wild - no reason to think he has anything in diamonds absent more information, so if I bid that and he showed up with xxx diamonds it could have been very costly given the state of the match.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

No activity on this thread for nearly four weeks! It's been a slammy week, so I'll make a couple of posts on them.

Monday was notable for bidding two grand slams. On the first I had A9842 42 K1096 K8. Partner opened 1H, RHO bid 2H, Michaels. I doubled, showing the ability to double at least one of his suits. Partner bid 4D. At this point, 4S from me is probably a cue bid agreeing diamonds, but wanting to keep things clear I bid 6D. She then bid 7D, holding Q AKQ9xx AQxxx A. 7H makes also, but 7D does not need a 3-2 heart break.

Then I held 742 QJ106 AKJ A86. Partner opened 1S, 4D from RHO. I should maybe have doubled, which would have been negative, but vulnerable against not I did not want partner to pass and have us collect 500 against a vulnerable game. I bid 4S, 4NT from partner, 5H from me and now partner bid 6C. What's that? The standard meaning is to be an ask for third round control, but I doubted partner knew that. She's a very good player - has won a national championship - but likes to keep things simple and has mental blocks about the finer points of RKCB. I bid 6NT (we are playing matchpoints and I'm not ruffing anything), partner bid 7S, passed around to LHO who doubled instantly. Against these opponents, I was pretty sure that signified a spade stack rather than be a Lightner double, so I thought if spades are not coming in, 7NT has no chance either, so I stood it. My RHO led a diamond and LHO ruffed it. The double was not Lightner - she had Q109x of spades. However, 7NT can make. Partner had AKJ8xx AKxx x KJ. Finessing in spades (which is marked after LHO shows out on a top one), diamonds and clubs brings home the grand in NT. 6NT would have scored over 90%

What was 6C? Asking for queen of trumps, even though I had already denied it.

100% on the first board, 0% on the second. Average score on our slams. Hey ho.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

And today - five slams bid and made in 24 boards.

Second board of the day. I held A J4 KQ62 AK9742. I opened 1C, 1H from partner. I reversed into 2D. 2S from partner, 3C from me. 6NT from partner. She held KJ84 AQ872 109 Q6. Pretty horrrible slam. AD lead and things look better. Clubs break. Cash a couple of spades on the way to set up squeeze opportunities (menaces against QS, long diamond, KH) but QS falls doubleton, 12 tricks (KH was onside also).

Very next board: AK6 void KQJ94 KQ1062. I open 1D, 1H from partner (of course), 2C from me. That's conservative, but I don't like to bid 3C, game forcing, with a void in partner's suit when I have minors and it's a long way to five of a minor. Partner bid 3D. Nice! Continuing the agricultural approach of the first board I bid 6D. Partner had Jx KQ10xx Axxxx x, so slam was easy.

Then AQ98 void Q9874 K864. I open 1D, 1H from partner (of course), 1S from RHO, 2C from me (which denies three hearts as we play support doubles), 2S from LHO and 6D from partner (more scientific bidding). RHO doubled. Well, if I go down it's a bottom and if I make it's a top, so I redoubled just for fun - I suspected RHO might be doubling based on AH and a trump trick. They led a spade and partner tabled void KQ8742 KJ53 A93. The best line wasn't obvious to me, but based on the theory that RHO had both red aces, I played a diamond to the king and ace and she tried to cash AH, after which it was easy.

The very next board, not vulnerable versus vulnerable, in second seat partner opens 4S and you hold 8 AK87 A AKQ8432. I bid 4NT and partner showed one key card with 5C. I bid 5D to ask for the queen and she bid 6S. I was worried about a diamond lead as then if partner lost a trump trick, they can cash diamonds. But I hoped that even if they did lead a diamond (they did), partner could discard diamonds on my top winners (she did - she was void in hearts), so with KQJ10xxxx in spades, slam came home.

And finally, 5 AK8532 AK9 K85. I open 1H and partner splintered with 4D. 4NT from me, 5S from partner. I bid 5NT and she bid 7H. She held AKQJ Q1097 4 AQ76. We should really have been in 7NT. She broke system by bidding 4D as we don't splinter with hands that strong, but bidding any making grand in a club game will be good.

So, sorry to brag, but I've posted plenty of disasters in this thread. I cannot remember bidding so many making slams in one session before.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Very nice. And don't apologise - we should be allowed to post our successes as well as our disasters!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Monday was notable for bidding two grand slams. On the first I had A9842 42 K1096 K8. Partner opened 1H, RHO bid 2H, Michaels. I doubled, showing the ability to double at least one of his suits. Partner bid 4D. At this point, 4S from me is probably a cue bid agreeing diamonds, but wanting to keep things clear I bid 6D. She then bid 7D, holding Q AKQ9xx AQxxx A. 7H makes also, but 7D does not need a 3-2 heart break.
Yes, 4S confirming diamonds and interest in slam. This would be followed by RKB and a confident grand slam. In your auction, partner's conversion to 7D was kinda weird considering that the opening lead could well be the ace of spades.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Yes, 4S confirming diamonds and interest in slam. This would be followed by RKB and a confident grand slam. In your auction, partner's conversion to 7D was kinda weird considering that the opening lead could well be the ace of spades.
I have jumped to slam missing 3 aces and the queen of trumps. She decided I was unlikely to have done that missing all 4 aces, so I was heavy favorite to hold AS.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
And today - five slams bid and made in 24 boards.

Second board of the day. I held A J4 KQ62 AK9742. I opened 1C, 1H from partner. I reversed into 2D. 2S from partner, 3C from me. 6NT from partner. She held KJ84 AQ872 109 Q6. Pretty horrrible slam. AD lead and things look better. Clubs break. Cash a couple of spades on the way to set up squeeze opportunities (menaces against QS, long diamond, KH) but QS falls doubleton, 12 tricks (KH was onside also).

Very next board: AK6 void KQJ94 KQ1062. I open 1D, 1H from partner (of course), 2C from me. That's conservative, but I don't like to bid 3C, game forcing, with a void in partner's suit when I have minors and it's a long way to five of a minor. Partner bid 3D. Nice! Continuing the agricultural approach of the first board I bid 6D. Partner had Jx KQ10xx Axxxx x, so slam was easy.

Then AQ98 void Q9874 K864. I open 1D, 1H from partner (of course), 1S from RHO, 2C from me (which denies three hearts as we play support doubles), 2S from LHO and 6D from partner (more scientific bidding). RHO doubled. Well, if I go down it's a bottom and if I make it's a top, so I redoubled just for fun - I suspected RHO might be doubling based on AH and a trump trick. They led a spade and partner tabled void KQ8742 KJ53 A93. The best line wasn't obvious to me, but based on the theory that RHO had both red aces, I played a diamond to the king and ace and she tried to cash AH, after which it was easy.

The very next board, not vulnerable versus vulnerable, in second seat partner opens 4S and you hold 8 AK87 A AKQ8432. I bid 4NT and partner showed one key card with 5C. I bid 5D to ask for the queen and she bid 6S. I was worried about a diamond lead as then if partner lost a trump trick, they can cash diamonds. But I hoped that even if they did lead a diamond (they did), partner could discard diamonds on my top winners (she did - she was void in hearts), so with KQJ10xxxx in spades, slam came home.

And finally, 5 AK8532 AK9 K85. I open 1H and partner splintered with 4D. 4NT from me, 5S from partner. I bid 5NT and she bid 7H. She held AKQJ Q1097 4 AQ76. We should really have been in 7NT. She broke system by bidding 4D as we don't splinter with hands that strong, but bidding any making grand in a club game will be good.

So, sorry to brag, but I've posted plenty of disasters in this thread. I cannot remember bidding so many making slams in one session before.
Serious slam density there Amarone, well played.

Thread is quiet, guess everyone is out enjoying the summer evenings away from the green baize. I am too by and large, but did venture out last night for a game with a partner I only play with once in a while - I basically forgot how to play bridge first six boards and put us in the cellar, only to stage a remarkable recovery and post a respectable 60% game, so felt good to get out. Pushed this grand:

S AQJ9
H KQJ9
D A
C AQT7

And pard surprises you by opening 1D first seat. 3C weak jump overcall to your right, negative double from you, 3H from partner. Basic bidding agreements so a pedestrian 4N - 5D - 5N - 6D (1 king) puts you to the decision.

Felt like we weren't going to get rich in 6 with that obvious level of power, all keycards, 2 kings plus the third is marked onside. Too many uncertainties to push 7 in a serious game with that 4414 shape IMHO, plus opps are distributional, but let's bid it here for the practice.
Made on a spade lead with pard showing S xxx H Axxx D KQJxxx C void, and a misdefence by West.

LHO had the boss spade after trick one but also had TD to fifth, and this was the more important holding - they threw a diamond away and buried the defence. Seems silly in hindsight but I've done a lot worse myself - transfixed on the KS, no reason to indicate declarer is running six diamonds, lapse in concentration.

Last edited by Busy Scissors; 08-20-2019 at 04:35 PM.