Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Greatest movies never made

Adam Sandlerís tribute to Chris Farley on SNL last week got me thinking. Farley was slated to star in a biopic of Fatty Arbuckle as his first serious role, but obviously never got the chance. I really would love to see that movie. That and the John Belushi version of Ghostbusters.

So what are your choices for greatest missed opportunities and unmade masterpieces in film?
Old 05-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Jodorowsky's Dune would have been very interesting, although from the documentary I'm not convinced it would have a good film.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM

I really think Heath Ledger was a great actor and had some really great roles left in him. His death at a tragically young age was an artistic loss.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Guillermo del Toro's version of At The Mountains Of Madness got started and scrapped a couple of times. I don't think it will get made.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Guillermo del Toro's version of At The Mountains Of Madness got started and scrapped a couple of times. I don't think it will get made.
And, for that matter, I would have very much liked to have seen del Toro's version of The Hobbit.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Citizen Kane was not Orson Welles' first choice for his feature film debut. He had wanted to film an adaptation of Heart of Darkness. Welles was going to play the protagonist Marlow (no surprises there) and the entire movie was going to be filmed from Marlow's point of view. So Welles while would be the center of the movie, he would hardly appear - he would only be seen in occasional reflections.

RKO felt the idea was too experimental (and the proposed budget was too high) so they passed. Welles came up with the more conventional proposal for Citizen Kane instead.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:31 PM

I was going to say Terry Gilliam's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, but it finally got finished (and was released in the USA about a month ago).
Old 05-09-2019, 03:14 PM

Do these have to be movies that somebody actually attempted or planned to make, or can they just be movies that we wish existed but they don't?

Because in that latter category, I nominate a really good CGI adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World with Stephen Fry as Professor Challenger and Hugh Laurie as Lord John Roxton.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:21 PM

For decades there was talk about a Keith Moon biopic, with Mike Myers to play Keith. The movie never got off the ground, and Mike is too old now.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Similar to the OP's, Lou Costello was at one point considered to star in a biopic of Fiorello la Guardia, a downright dramatic, non-comedic role. But he died relatively young.

I still want to see I, Robot with Harlan Ellison's script and good CGI, dammit!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:40 PM

id of loved to see the movie of the alienist that other than a tiny preview never happened for some reason
Old 05-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

There is nothing I enjoy more than a gigantic clusterfuck of a movie, so definitely Superman with Nick Cage.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:16 PM

A Confederacy of Dunces
Old 05-09-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
For decades there was talk about a Keith Moon biopic, with Mike Myers to play Keith. The movie never got off the ground, and Mike is too old now.
One Moon was stopped because Townshend would not allow his songs to be used in the movie. That may have been a different movie.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I really think Heath Ledger was a great actor and had some really great roles left in him. His death at a tragically young age was an artistic loss.
I read that Nolan planned to keep Joker around as a recurring villain. He was apparently tired of comic book movies where the bad guy dies at the end, and bring in a new one for sequels.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
I read that Nolan planned to keep Joker around as a recurring villain. He was apparently tired of comic book movies where the bad guy dies at the end, and bring in a new one for sequels.
me too on that one yeah,
I remember at the end of Keaton's Batman ..the big gasps was joker died .......

people were actually pissed .......
Old 05-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I was really hoping to see a "Star Man 2" just so I could find out what those marbles are for.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
One Moon was stopped because Townshend would not allow his songs to be used in the movie. That may have been a different movie.
Well, it would be ridiculous to do a movie about Keith Moon without using Who songs.
Besides, since Pete already sold out to the CSI franchises it's rather hypocritical.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The greatest movie we will probably never see?
"The Day The Clown Cried".
Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 PM

I was/am disappointed the movie 'The Last Full Measure' is not going to be made. It was to be the third in a civil war trilogy. ( 'Gettysburg' and 'Gods and Generals' being the other two )
Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 PM

I have a book with this title.... The one I remember is a movie about Napoleon by Stanley Kubrick.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The 1937 version of I, Claudius, directed by Josef von Sternberg and starring Charles Laughton. Production ceased after Merle Oberon (who played Messalina) was in an auto accident, but the set had been having troubles since the inception. You can see bits and pieces of the movie in the 1965 documentary, The Epic That Never Was.

I love Charles Laughton in everything, but he would have been a terrific Claudius.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius_(film)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:32 PM

George Lucas's last 3 star wars movies supposedly he had them written

I know they gotta different than what Disney's putting out .....

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-09-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM

Guy Ritchie was going to make a movie about the Siege of Malta, which is one of the most incredible battles in history. Alas, it was not to be.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress has been optioned many times over the decades, has had multiple scripts written by good authors (Tim Minear, for example), and has even been green-lit a couple of times. It always seems to die in pre-production hell.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress has been optioned many times over the decades, has had multiple scripts written by good authors (Tim Minear, for example), and has even been green-lit a couple of times. It always seems to die in pre-production hell.
Morgan Freeman, of all people, apparently holds the film rights to Rendezvous with Rama and has been trying to get a movie made for over fifteen years.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I don't know how "great" of a movie it would've been, but it would've been great to see Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
The 1937 version of I, Claudius, directed by Josef von Sternberg and starring Charles Laughton. Production ceased after Merle Oberon (who played Messalina) was in an auto accident, but the set had been having troubles since the inception. You can see bits and pieces of the movie in the 1965 documentary, The Epic That Never Was.

I love Charles Laughton in everything, but he would have been a terrific Claudius.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius_(film)
Damn, this is the movie that I came in to mention. Beat by four hours.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Somebody is sitting on the rights to "Ringworld"
Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I don't know how "great" of a movie it would've been, but it would've been great to see Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League.
I was coming back into the thread to say this exact thing.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
George Lucas's last 3 star wars movies supposedly he had them written
I don't know that he had them "written," so much as he might have had an idea of what he might have done in them.

OTOH, given that he had strong creative and script control over the Prequel Trilogy, and I felt like they were pretty weak stories and scripts, I'm not at all sure that I would have *wanted* him involved in 7-8-9.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:50 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Somebody is sitting on the rights to "Ringworld"
If the Wikipedia entry is correct, it may not actually be being "sat on;" as of 2017, Amazon and MGM were developing a TV series based on it. The IMDB entry on it was last updated as "in development," in September of '17.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-09-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if it's true, but I heard a rumor sometime after the original Robocop came out that Veerhoeven was going to do a Judge Dee movie. As a big fan of Robert Hans Van Gulik's Chinese detective (I had just finished reading the entire series about then), I would've loved to have seen this. There had already been a TV movie about him, adapting the Haunted Monastery, made by the King of TV Movie, Nicholas Meyer. There had also been a six-episode British TV series that I've never seen (and probably never will -- I don't think it has been preserved), and thought a big-budget Dee movie would be GREAT.

Alas, it either wasn't so, or it died. There have since been three Chinese movies featuring "Detective Dee", but a.) they're wire-work martial-arts films, totally unlike the character of Van Gulik's Dee, and b.) they lack the supporting characters of Tao Gan, Chao Tai, Ma Joong, and Sergent Hoong (not to mention Dee's wives) who appeared in the 18th century Chinese Dee novel and whom Van Gulik retained in his series. Dee is still a "detective" in these new movies, but he's more of a fantastic character, like Batman, than he is Van Gulik's very clever jurist.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Morgan Freeman, of all people, apparently holds the film rights to Rendezvous with Rama and has been trying to get a movie made for over fifteen years.
I actually saw a trailer for this in a cinema several years ago. I don't remember which movie, or the year. Probably 2009 or 2010, but maybe earlier.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Given how Heinlein's work has been butchered in Hollywood, this is probably a Good Thing.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

The first time I read Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Rom Gordon, I thought "What a vehicle for Dakota Fanning.' But she's too old now. Raegan Revord (young Missy Cooper) could do it now, but she would bot be as good.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The greatest movie we will probably never see?
"The Day The Clown Cried".
I'd see it if I had a chance, but Lewis said it's just a bad film and that he was ashamed of it.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Thirding the Buckaroo Banzai sequel.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-10-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

The Chris Farley-voiced Shrek would have been very interesting.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:02 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by awldune View Post
Jodorowsky's Dune would have been very interesting, although from the documentary I'm not convinced it would have a good film.
I agree. Based on the documentary and other Jodorowsky movies I've seen, in particular El Topo, one of the weirdest movies ever made, his version would have made David Lynch's Dune look normal by comparison.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:14 PM

I desperately wanted "The Talisman" to come to screen with a young Brad Renfro.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:05 PM

From 2005-2010, they came out with 3 decent The Chronicles of Narnia movies (yeah, the second movie was iffy). But I would have paid to see the remaining 4. They let the rights expire and 10 years passed and now I see that Netflix will redo the series.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I agree. Based on the documentary and other Jodorowsky movies I've seen, in particular El Topo, one of the weirdest movies ever made, his version would have made David Lynch's Dune look normal by comparison.
I suppose most people reading this already know, but "Los hijos del Topo" is out in at least comic book form. No film ever made, though there have long been various rumors...
Old 05-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Willis O'Brien, the creator of King Kong and other such films, had a number of unrealized projects he wanted to do.

King Kong vs. Frankenstein -- he actually did lots of conceptual drawings of various over-sized artificial humans who would be his "Frankenstein". He and King Kong would fight one-on-one using stop-motion animation puppets. My 8-year-old self would've loved it. It got retitled several times, including "King Kong vs. Prometheus". Ultimately it served as the inspiration not only for "King Kong vs. Godzilla" but also "Frankenstein Conquers the World" and "War of the Gargantuas".

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/King_Kong_vs._Prometheus

http://www.roberthood.net/daikaiju-a.../kkvsfrank.htm

The War Eagles

The idea sounds insane -- Vikings riding on giant eagles to war, but I could see it working, in O'Brien's hands

http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php...he-eagles-fly/

http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php...s-memorabilia/

https://monsterminions.wordpress.com...es-re-visited/

O'Brien's plans for Gwangi were ultimately realized by his protege, Ray Harryhausen, when he released the Valley of Gwangi in the 1960s.

Harryhausen himself had many unrealized projects. My favorite would have been his stop-motion version of War of the Worlds, done as a period piece. Unfortunately, George Pal beat him to it. But Harryhausen would've given us stop-motion tripods instead of those flying things, and I would've liked to have seen that. Stop motion "strobing" gives a great impression of massive mechanical motion, as Lucas showed us with the AT-ATs in The Empire Strikes Back.

https://gwangipedia.fandom.com/wiki/...rlds%27_Aliens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2OCI_M4zo
Old 05-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I don't know that he had them "written," so much as he might have had an idea of what he might have done in them.

OTOH, given that he had strong creative and script control over the Prequel Trilogy, and I felt like they were pretty weak stories and scripts, I'm not at all sure that I would have *wanted* him involved in 7-8-9.
I could have sworn I read a sequel to Empire Strikes Back by George Lucas. Maybe it was by somebody else. The only thing I remember about it is Luke and his wife have twins.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 PM

There was talk about making a sequel to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" but I believe it got bogged down in rights issues with all the different cartoon characters.

Also James Cameron was once in talks to make a Spider-Man movie back in the mid-1990s.

Howard Stern was in negotiations to make "Adventures of Fartman" movie but it fell apart over merchandising rights.

Two sequel ideas that were bounced around in the 80s were "National Lampoon's Jaws 3, People 0" and "Star Trek VI: Starfleet Academy". Both sequels ended up substantially different.

My references: The 50 Greatest Movies NEVER made by Chris Gore. (FYI,it was originally published in 1999. So some of the entries may be out of date.)

https://www.amazon.com/50-Greatest-M...7541723&sr=8-1
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Asimov's "Foundation" series has yet to see the screen. Done right, it could be bigger than LOTR.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 PM

Machete kills again, in space.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Following the success of A Hard's Day's Night and Help! the Beatles wanted their third movie to be an adaptation of The Lord of the Rings. Paul was going to play Frodo, Ringo would play Sam, George would play Gandalf, and John would play Gollum. They wanted Stanley Kubrick to direct and they planned on writing several new songs for the soundtrack. Obviously, this would have been a somewhat loose interpretation but I think it would have been interesting.

The roadblock that killed the project was Tolkien. He was still alive and absolutely refused to sell the film rights to the Beatles because he hated their music.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:15 PM

There was also Joe Orton's unproduced Beatles script, Up Against It.