Old 06-04-2019, 01:29 AM

Good Eats: The Return -- We have a date, people

Those who follow Alton Brown on social media have known for a while that he was going to make a sequel to Good Eats. Many may also be aware of Good Eats: Reloaded, where he updates some older episodes on the Cooking Channel.

But the day has arrived, and we know where and when the new show will debut. While we didn't get the title "Good Eats: Another Show," we did get "Good Eats: the Return." And it will debut on Food Network (rather than just online) on August 25, 2019.

I am very excited. I need to catch the reloaded episodes now.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:04 AM

I love Alton.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Marked my calendar. Thanks
Old 06-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Good Eats: Reloaded is pretty good, but there are only eight or ten episodes. Just enough to whet your appetite, not enough to satisfy the craving for more Alton.

Yet another reason to look forward to August.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 AM

I get Food Network! It was either Cooking Channel for a shocking amount for Basic Cable Plus with no other channels I wanted--not one!--or faster internet. You can guess which won.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I get Food Network! It was either Cooking Channel for a shocking amount for Basic Cable Plus with no other channels I wanted--not one!--or faster internet. You can guess which won.
I'm excited that it's back on Food Network. If it does well, maybe we'll see the return of some "Stand and Stir" shows.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:29 PM

Well, crap. Any options for those of us without cable? I assume it'll eventually wind up on Hulu?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

What is Good Eats like? Can anyone compare it to another show? I've never seen it.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
What is Good Eats like? Can anyone compare it to another show? I've never seen it.
Emeril meets Beakman's World?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Mr Wizard cooks?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:08 AM

This time around, will he correctly pronounce plantain, astaxanthin, arthropod, and oligosaccharide? Has he learned that 2% milk has NOT had 98% of its fat removed?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Yes! Can't wait!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Did anyone else catch his live show when it toured? There was at least one explosion.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 PM

I love Alton and give him full credit for igniting in me a love of cooking. Unfortunately, we no longer have cable and I haven't seen an episode of GE in several years. I've pretty much lost my love of cooking by now (mostly due to the combo of having picky teenagers and trying to finish my MA degree) and would love to watch another season of Good Eats. I'm dying to catch the new series.

Unfortunately we don't have cable, satellite, and or Hulu Live. I've been tempted to give Hulu Live a chance, but at ~$45 per month that a bit rich for my blood. This, however, may be the deciding factor.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Did anyone else catch his live show when it toured? There was at least one explosion.
I have a coffee mug someone left in the office break room from one of his shows. That's as close as I ever got.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Emeril meets Beakman's World?
Without, sadly, Liza, Phoebe, or even Josie.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
When it was originally conceived, Brown allegedly wrote down three names: Julia Child, Mr. Wizard, and Monty Python. That's probably as accurate an encapsulation as you'll find.

I loved the original run for a number of reasons, but mostly because it was the first cooking show I had seen that explained the whys of cooking. It wasn't a chef standing in a demo kitchen making a dish and narrating while he or she did it. It was this slightly goofy guy that had recurring characters, puppets, and a visual style unlike any other cooking show on the air. Brown isn't a professional chef. He was a cameraman/DP who went to New England Culinary Institute so he could get the grounding he needed to make this show.

Each half-hour show would usually cover one ingredient or one cooking technique, and feature just a couple of recipes. Most importantly, Brown would explain why you do certain things with the ingredient, or how yeast do their thing, or why buttermilk is so important to good biscuits. I was an OK home cook before that show, but I was a slavish recipe-follower. After Good Eats, I started deviating. I was able to look at a recipe and have a better idea of how it was going to turn out, where I could make ingredient substitutions, or how to improve on it.

His sense of humor doesn't always land with everyone, and there are times he can seem a little up his own ass, but I will be forever grateful to him for creating this program and providing actual educational television in the food arena.

Perhaps there can be no higher praise than that Anthony Bourdain actually liked Good Eats. He wrote an essay once, wherein he watched a day's worth of Food Network TV, commenting on each program. As you might expect, he savaged the likes of Samantha Brown and Rachel Ray. When it came time to watch Good Eats, he said something like, "wait - why is this guy on TV? He's actually informational and entertaining." I paraphrase, but you get the idea.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:19 PM

And with Bourdain's "The Layover" show came to Atlanta, he actually had Alton Brown on it as one of his hosts to the city (quite an endorsement for a Food Network person).
Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 PM

I loved the original run of Good Eats but have sadly found "old, skinny Alton" to be much more of a grump and less entertaining and wizardly than his earlier, more jovial self.

I'll still watch, though, and reserve further judgment for after I have seen a few episodes.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
You can find segments and even full episodes on YouTube.

But the descriptions are pretty accurate. It's the wacky kids science show, but for cooking.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
I loved the original run for a number of reasons, but mostly because it was the first cooking show I had seen that explained the whys of cooking.
I was an OK home cook before that show, but I was a slavish recipe-follower. After Good Eats, I started deviating. I was able to look at a recipe and have a better idea of how it was going to turn out, where I could make ingredient substitutions, or how to improve on it.
This was me, to a T, except I hated cooking. A gourmet meal was spaghetti with sauce from a jar, and super gourmet included frozen meatballs added to the sauce.

Today, people seem to love my cooking, but they’re always disappointed when I can’t provide a recipe, because, well, I just improvise. This has the unfortunate effect that I never really make the same dish twice, in that I have no consistent method of measuring. Except baking, of course, which is chemistry and requires exacting standards.

The number of cooking science books that I have now takes up quite a bit of shelf space, including, yes, the famously expensive Modernist Cuisine. A.B. is my culinary hero.

(Funny thing: he’s often quoted as having said his least favor episode is “Scrap Iron Chef” from season 5, but this is the first episode I ever saw, having randomly landed on the otherwise stupid Food Network while channel surfing. It hooked me instantly.)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
This was me, to a T, except I hated cooking. A gourmet meal was spaghetti with sauce from a jar, and super gourmet included frozen meatballs added to the sauce.
Did super gourmet for that special someone involve heating the meatballs?

Old 06-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
I loved the original run of Good Eats but have sadly found "old, skinny Alton" to be much more of a grump and less entertaining and wizardly than his earlier, more jovial self.

I'll still watch, though, and reserve further judgment for after I have seen a few episodes.
I think 'old skinny Alton' is scary looking. Like the 'Breaking Bad' guy. I have heard IRL from gossip from somebody who worked on the show that he isn't Mr. Nice and doesn't have much sense of humor/isn't exactly laid back. Religious, maybe.

I'll watch his new show, for sure. Mr. Salinqmind is enamored of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, but he used to watch the original GE with me in the past, I think he might watch the new episodes.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When it was originally conceived, Brown allegedly wrote down three names: Julia Child, Mr. Wizard, and Monty Python. That's probably as accurate an encapsulation as you'll find. . . .
That sounds amazingly accurate.

Quote:
. . . Most importantly, Brown would explain why you do certain things with the ingredient, or how yeast do their thing, or why buttermilk is so important to good biscuits. . . .
As an example, his chocolate chip cookie episode showed how changing the ratio of certain ingredients would give you different results. He essentially gave three different recipes for three differently textured cookies.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I think 'old skinny Alton' is scary looking. Like the 'Breaking Bad' guy. I have heard IRL from gossip from somebody who worked on the show that he isn't Mr. Nice and doesn't have much sense of humor/isn't exactly laid back. Religious, maybe.
Used to be. A divorce cured that shit for the most part. The current AB is pretty chill, I hear.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Those who follow Alton Brown on social media have known for a while that he was going to make a sequel to Good Eats. Many may also be aware of Good Eats: Reloaded, where he updates some older episodes on the Cooking Channel.

But the day has arrived, and we know where and when the new show will debut. While we didn't get the title "Good Eats: Another Show," we did get "Good Eats: the Return." And it will debut on Food Network (rather than just online) on August 25, 2019.

I am very excited. I need to catch the reloaded episodes now.
sorry, good eats: the reload debuted in May
Old 07-02-2019, 09:59 AM

He released what the new episodes will be about on Facebook:

Quote:
steak tartare, latkes, chicken parm, ancient grains, Oyster Poor Boy, Immersion Circulator cooking (sous vide), Shakshuka, Sauces part 2, Sourdough, Icebox cakes, Dates, low ABV cocktails for the holidays, and a one hour turkey special.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
He released what the new episodes will be about on Facebook:
His original thanksgiving show introduced me to brining, for which I'll be forever thankful. Looking forward to his third thanksgiving show.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

steak tartare, latkes, chicken parm, ancient grains, Oyster Poor Boy, Immersion Circulator cooking (sous vide), Shakshuka, Sauces part 2, Sourdough, Icebox cakes, Dates, low ABV cocktails for the holidays, and a one hour turkey special.

Not a bad line-up. I'll skip the bolded episodes since they are: a) stupid, b) dealing with an ingredient I hate and c) involve a kitchen toy I have zero interest in. But the rest look interesting to fascinating. I really want to see AB's spin on chicken parm and shakshuka.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM

Already, episode 1 on you tube (looks like food network legal upload), on the weekend on the tube supposedly, I can't find it on the DVR,

ETA: Ohh , it just says Good Eats, not ":The Return". That will make it harder to only get the new ones.

Last edited by wolfman; 08-22-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:58 AM

Yep. The first episode is on YouTube and foodnetwork.com now, a few days earlier than announced in my OP.

I'd comment what I think, but I'd like to wait for others to see it.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 AM

It was amusing but didn't tell me anything about chicken parm that I wasn't already doing.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

That was true about any number of the original shows. The brewing show was just flat-out wrong. But these aren't designed for people who already know how to cook so much as the next generation that is still learning.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
But these aren't designed for people who already know how to cook so much as the next generation that is still learning.
Yep, partially. Some of the things Alton does changes my mind about how I cook certain things. So it's for people who are learning to cook, but also some shows involve taking sides in an argument about how to cook something for those that do.

Also interesting to see the science behind cooking techniques.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:14 AM

There are also plenty of little things you can learn even if you know the big stuff. Like, crushed vinegar potato chips in chicken breading? I had't heard of that before. It's worth checking out.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Already, episode 1 on you tube (looks like food network legal upload), on the weekend on the tube supposedly, I can't find it on the DVR,

ETA: Ohh , it just says Good Eats, not ":The Return". That will make it harder to only get the new ones.
The old ones are on "The Cooking Channel" (in very heavy rotation), the new ones are on "Food Network". So as long as your DVR lets you select what channel as long as what show, it should be straightforward to only get the 2019 episodes recorded.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

This is Season 15, if that helps program the DVR.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:35 PM

He is allowed to bring back the Lady of the Refrigerator, and possibly that nutritional anthropologist lady with the annoying voice, because she always had something interesting to say. I can do without the rest.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
He is allowed to bring back the Lady of the Refrigerator, and possibly that nutritional anthropologist lady with the annoying voice, because she always had something interesting to say. I can do without the rest.
What?! No W, no Coco Carl, no Chuck, no Marsha? How dare you.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
What?! No W, no Coco Carl, no Chuck, no Marsha? How dare you.
Okay, also the guy in the episode that played Johnny Appleseed, wearing a pot around on his head for the entire show. And other roles. You can have him. But that is it!
Old 08-23-2019, 12:50 PM

W was great, what's wrong with you.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
W was great, what's wrong with you.
Agreed, followed by Lever Man.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:04 PM

What about the Dungeon Master?

Fun fact - Lucky Yates, who played the Dungeon Master and many, many other roles on Good Eats, is also the voice of Krieger, and the face of Ray, on "Archer".
Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post

Not a bad line-up. I'll skip the bolded episodes since they are: a) stupid, b) dealing with an ingredient I hate and c) involve a kitchen toy I have zero interest in. But the rest look interesting to fascinating. I really want to see AB's spin on chicken parm and shakshuka.
Chicken parm has to be among the least interesting dishes to make or eat. Of all the things they could have thought to make, that's what they came up with for the first episode. I'm a fan of AB and the show, but I do hope this was a warm up act.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 08-26-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Boy, I got lucky! Turned on the TV at 8:55, and was flipping through the channels when I ran across it.

First episode (chicken parmesan) - pretty good- I thought his criticism of the standard dish was on the money, and his altered version looks like it would be tasty as well.

Second episode (ancient grains) - meh. While the broccoli quinoa mushroom casserole looked tasty, I kept wondering if I could just do it with rice, since I already have it in the pantry. That chia pudding just did not rev my engine- I'm not a fan of avocado in the first place, and little I've had with chia has been particularly good.

That said, the shows themselves are pretty much on the money- maybe a bit long on the monologue and less on the props/silly acting than some of the older ones, but still the same "Good Eats" formula and still mostly the same Alton Brown- maybe a bit more serious than before or something.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
and still mostly the same Alton Brown- maybe a bit more serious than before or something.
I think a lot of it is he was originally doing an act to seem extra quirky and charming , and is now just just being his natural gruffer,crusty-er self.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Chicken parm has to be among the least interesting dishes to make or eat. Of all the things they could have thought to make, that's what they came up with for the first episode.
In a recent interview he said it was the dish most often requested he do an episode on by fans.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:03 PM

I found that the recipes in the Reloaded series were way over-complicated. I liked the original series because the explanations were interesting and useful, and the recipes were (often - not always) something I was comfortable doing myself, and I got good results with some of them.

I particularly liked his method of using a cast iron pan to cook a steak. It was fast, simple and gets very good results. In the reloaded series, he re-visited the recipe and, in my opinion, way over complicated it with all that reverse-sear and sous-vide, and repeated heating and cooling stuff.

I cooked a Costco steak using his original method this weekend. It came out great. I intend to keep doing it that way.

I notice that he is using a lot of new ingredients and uncommon spices and things in his newer recipes. This isn't necessarily a problem, I like new flavors. But some of them seemed unnecessary. I got the impression he was using them more to be different than because they added anything to the dish.

I will give the new series a chance, but I hope he doesn't keep over-complicating things.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 PM

nm

Last edited by Mike Mabes; 08-26-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:09 PM

Regarding the various characters:

"Italian" dudes with fake mustaches: not funny. Insultingly not funny.
Cortez: Well done. A good mix of despicable-ness tempered by a bit of humor. It's a cooking show, not a history lesson, but points were made.
The lawyer types: Meh. Neither good nor bad. I barely remember them. But, wasn't Alton playing the part of one of them? I don't remember him doing that in the past.

Major disappointment: When I first saw the Medici lady I wasn't wearing my glasses. Thought it may have been the Lady of the Refrigerator, escaped to the freezer aisle. No such luck. I will continue to watch in the hope she returns.

One more thing: what was up with the camera filming Alton's reflection in a mirror, instead of the just the regular way?