Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Of course. He's a future hall-of-famer, a mentor, and a guy who comes to play every game. He's worth the one year contract for Carolina. I wish Marleau and the 'Canes all the luck next year.
I think you missed the joke. Marleau is likely to retire or be bought out. He's not expected to play a game for the Canes.

(It reminds me of the smartass Sharks fans who did a tribute to Hoffman after he was traded to the Panthers -- which occurred mere hours after Hoffman had been traded to the Sharks)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
I think you missed the joke. Marleau is likely to retire or be bought out. He's not expected to play a game for the Canes...
Oh, I was unaware, so I suppose I did miss the joke. Sounds like he wants back on the west coast.

In other news, Roberto Luongo announces retirement after 19 seasons. Third winningest goalie in NHL apparently.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Brooks Orpik has also retired. From this Penguins fan, thanks for all the Free Candy, dude.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Penguins trade Kessel to Coyotes for Galchenyuk, Joseph.

Panthers trade Reimer to 'Canes for Darling; place Darling on buyout waivers.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:18 PM

And Steve Simmons acts as classy as usual.

(Did Phil steal his lunch money when they were kids or something?)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Well, colour me surprised. The Stars signed Perry to a one year contract.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

And color me depressed; the Stars are failing to keep Spezza (age 36) and (probably) Zuccarello (age 31), in exchange for a couple of 34-year-olds, one with injury issues. Is this progress?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 PM

The Rags are crazy for Panarin....

81.5 Mil for 7 yrs....11.64 Av Cap hit....CRAZY.

Makes the Blues/Tarasenko deal look GREAT...
Old 07-01-2019, 05:36 PM

The Breadman is awesome tho.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 PM

Looks like Beau Bennett's back in the NHL -- he'll be playing for Arizona.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
The Rags are crazy for Panarin....

81.5 Mil for 7 yrs....11.64 Av Cap hit....CRAZY.

Makes the Blues/Tarasenko deal look GREAT...
God, I wonder how long until we have another "time-out" year to protect the owners from their own lack of control.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:53 PM

The Canucks take on 29 y.o. Tyler Myers for 5 yrs for $30 M. Still trying to decide if I like the deal. At least better than Loui Eriksson's. Van also acquires J. T. Miller for a half-decent top 6 position, especially adding more physicality.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
And color me depressed; the Stars are failing to keep Spezza (age 36) and (probably) Zuccarello (age 31), in exchange for a couple of 34-year-olds, one with injury issues. Is this progress?
I don't really see why you're depressed. They pretty much split the difference on the ages, and at least Pavelski produces consistently. Spezza hasn't been worth the amount he was being paid for years, Toronto would only fork over $700K for him, which was a tenth of what he was being paid here. I liked him, but him no longer being a Star was a management no-brainer.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Montreal rolling dice that haven't seen daylight in 6 years; NHL goes crazy!

Quote:
It was so improbable that a fake social media post beat the real news by hours.

No NHL team had signed a restricted free agent to an offer sheet in more than six years. Then the Montreal Canadiens announced Monday they were bucking that trend by tendering one worth $42.27 million over five years to Sebastian Aho and putting the Carolina Hurricanes on the clock to decide whether to match the front-loaded, bonus-heavy offer.

“Actually surprised it wasn’t more,” Carolina general manager Don Waddell said. “There’s been very few offer sheets. I think there hasn’t been one since 2013, so not a lot of people have been through it.”
Quote:
As part of the offer, cash-rich Montreal is offering an $11.3 million lump sum payment within a week of Aho’s signing and another for $9.87 million July 1, 2020; overall, the offer is 91.3% bonuses and 8.7% percent salary. It’s even more lopsided but less punitive than Philadelphia’s $110 million, 14-year offer sheet to Shea Weber in 2012 that included $68 million in bonuses and Nashville matched.

Carolina has seven days to make a decision.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-01-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:00 AM

Plucky try by the Habs - at the very least showing hockey's most demanding fans that they're trying to find an elite offensive player like Aho.
(Who's staying, though.)
And for the Stars, I'd rather have Pavelski than Zukerillo. Pavelski was probably the most drooled-over player before he ended up in Dallas, where I'll bet he'll sooner-than-later end up with a "C" on his jersey. I'm guessing the regular captain is Benn, who plays the same kinda high-scoring, tough, sharp play-making game. With Joe, a centre, and Jamie, a left-winger, that would make for two thirds of a devastating line - interesting to see if they go with that. (And then find that right winger to match Colorado's insane MacKinnon/Landeskog/Rantanen line from last season...well, maybe not in the goals dept. Such a Dallas line would already have tons more grit than the AVs one.)
Old 07-02-2019, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I don't really see why you're depressed. They pretty much split the difference on the ages, and at least Pavelski produces consistently. Spezza hasn't been worth the amount he was being paid for years, Toronto would only fork over $700K for him, which was a tenth of what he was being paid here. I liked him, but him no longer being a Star was a management no-brainer.
I was hoping they would get and keep a few younger people instead of just "split the difference" agewise. I guess you are right about Spezza though; I tend to get attached to players. I'd be terrible at management.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM

So the Islanders do...basically nothing. They failed to get Panarin (apparently, he went to the NYR for less money), they didn't keep Lehner, but are paying pretty big for an inferior goalie. They struggled to keep their captain. I really hope Lou knows what he's doing -- so far, I'm unimpressed. He's probably not used to being a GM for a team without a home arena -- makes it hard to get good players.

Hopefully, some of their prospects really step up. Is Wahlstrom ready for the NHL?
Old 07-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I am really anxious to see how the offer sheet to Aho plays out. It is something that I am surprised never happens more, especially with a team that has cap space. Montreal front loaded the offer with bonuses to make it tough to match, but we will see.

I am reminded of when Carolina (then owned by Peter Karmanos) made an insane offer to Sergei Fedorov (Karmanos and Ilitch had a long running rivalry). Detroit ended up matching the offer and Fedorov ended up, with bonuses, making something like $28 million dollars in six months.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:47 AM

Sergei Bobrovsky is pumped to join the Panthers.
Quote:
Sergei Bobrovsky already has two Vezina Trophies, the award handed out at the end of each season to the NHL’s top goaltender.

He’s not looking for a third.

For the Florida Panthers’ new goalie, only one trophy matters now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Bobrovsky
It doesn’t matter what you win individually. Hockey’s a team sport and it’s all about the Cup. Only one team can win the Cup each season. That’s my main goal. That’s what I want to do. That’s why I am here now. I believe in this team. I believe in this group.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 PM

The AP has a good article about the NHL's Restricted Free Agent status and trading; I learned a bit.
Quote:
Drafting and developing players is what NHL teams attempt to do well as they chase the Stanley Cup, certainly in the salary cap era. And, that is one of the reasons teams are reluctant to extend offer sheets to restricted free agents.

“The way the system is set up with offer sheets, it’s too punitive because of the draft picks you have to give up,” said sports agent Kurt Overhardt, who represents Trouba. “The record has shown it doesn’t make sense for a lot of teams. Montreal took a chance, forcing a notoriously frugal owner to make a decision and he matched. But as long as you have the cap space, you have to match.”
Like, I didn't know this:
Quote:
If Carolina chose not to match the offer for Aho, the Canadiens would have given up a draft pick in the first, second and third rounds. If Montreal offered a little more money on the offer sheet, it risked losing an additional first-round selection. And if the franchise offered Aho an average of at least $10,568,590 over the course of the contract, it would have lost four first-round picks if the Hurricanes refused to pay Aho that much.

Agents of restricted free agents attempt to use the possibility of offer sheets in negotiations. Teams, meanwhile, know offer sheets are extremely uncommon and they seem to have the power in talks. That is true particularly when players don’t have arbitration rights.
I didn't know that draft trades were an intrinsic part of RFA offers, nor that they were so onerous.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-03-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Bobrovsky
It doesnít matter what you win individually. Hockeyís a team sport and itís all about the Cup. Only one team can win the Cup each season. Thatís my main goal. Thatís what I want to do. Thatís why I am here now. I believe in this team. I believe in this group.
Ooooooookaaaaaaayyeee
Old 07-03-2019, 07:59 PM

ikr
Old 07-17-2019, 04:20 PM

I know this is really NHL 105 news, but hey, who cares? The important thing is that it's hockey.

Seattle close to naming Ron Francis as GM.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-17-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Fixed title.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Thanks, Chronos.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know this is really NHL 105 news, but hey, who cares? The important thing is that it's hockey.

Seattle close to naming Ron Francis as GM.
If the ownership group in Seattle is a little less tight fisted than Karmanos was, Ron should do well.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:34 AM

So you think it was budgetary concerns that held back the Hurricanes during his tenure there? I don't know anything about his time with the team other than their general win-loss records and what was in the brief linked article. Educate me! (Please.)

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-18-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:39 AM

In 4 years in Carolina Francis never traded a NHL player for another NHL player, that is unusual. Don't think low budget was the cause of that. His drafting was good and he did trade picks for players.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:09 PM

Ron Francis took the job!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
yet he does NOT have a cup....

Binnigton has one...and a record. !6 wins as a Rookie.

Love ya Bo... but Binnington s Winnington !

I play forward in this thread and see a repeat.

daniel
Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
Love ya Bo... but Binnington s Winnington !
I'm not at all sure what you think you're replying to or countering.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I think that "Bo" was Bobrovsky, not you, Snowboarder Bo.

Last edited by kayT; 07-18-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 AM

Then ThisSpaceForRent needs to remember that his nickname is "Bob", not "Bo"

In other news: Greg Johnson's death has been ruled a suicide.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I think that "Bo" was Bobrovsky, not you, Snowboarder Bo.
Ah, well that makes more sense now; thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Then ThisSpaceForRent needs to remember that his nickname is "Bob", not "Bo"
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-19-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
In other news: Greg Johnson's death has been ruled a suicide.
Shitty.

In a swapping of ass contracts, Milan Lucic (31 y.o., 19 Baby Duck* points in 63 games last season for $6,000,000/yr) to Calgary for Jimmy Neal (also 31, 20 in 79, for $5,750,000). There's buzz about Neal looking forward to training and playing with The World's Scariest Skater Connor McDavid, but JN could barely keep up with Maun Shonahan**, playmakingwise, last year, so, we'll see.

*a super-duper shitty Canadian wine.
**Just kidding - Sean Monahan - I have this unquenchable phonetic spoonerism fetish)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:52 PM

If there's any Devils fans here you should be ASHAMED of your mascot!!!!
Old 07-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In the 'interesting' category of trades, the Oilers trade Milan Lucic to the Flames for James Neal. I know why the Oilers wanted to make that trade, but I can't figure out why the Flames agreed to it.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Just kidding - I have this unquenchable phonetic spoonerism fetish)
I do too.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 07-22-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Ooooooookaaaaaaayyeee
well, ya never know these days. Vegas took everyone by surprise last year, and the Blues went from zero to hero in half a season. a collection of good players with good coaching can obviously beat out "premier" teams who rely on a superstar.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
In the 'interesting' category of trades, the Oilers trade Milan Lucic to the Flames for James Neal. I know why the Oilers wanted to make that trade, but I can't figure out why the Flames agreed to it.

ETA: I do too.
Cool! Now if only you had a fetish for reading my second-to-last post a little more closely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
well, ya never know these days. Vegas took everyone by surprise last year, and the Blues went from zero to hero in half a season. a collection of good players with good coaching can obviously beat out "premier" teams who rely on a superstar.
Of course, but the cards that angry golfer Dale Tallon has to work with are not promising. Even as talented as they are, Keith Yandle has the 2nd worst individual giveaway/takeaway ratio in the NHL, while Mike Matheson and Arron Ekblad (the second having positioning issues) are, respectively, first and fourth in leading the league in giveaways. All defensemen, and all of them posing a m-a-j-o-r liability for Bob, who'll be keeping busy between the pipes next season, to be sure. (and durned-well better not get injured)
Those stats, alone, convince me Flo doesn't stand a chance this coming season, and then you add to that their offense, last season, being 3rd worst in the league in goals scored at 5-on-5.
Always been a fan of Huberdoober-doober-doober-deau, but never been convinced he's been a strong enough leader.
Joel Quenneville is one of the NHL's greatest all-time coaches, but I'll put money on him being totally let down by the end of next season.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 07-23-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:02 PM

Chris Kunitz announces his retirement.

Thanks for everything, Kuni.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:00 PM

Last day for buy outs....

Shattenkirk? Backes?? do predict.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:04 PM

The Hockey News is all about who will be protecting whom for the 2021 expansion draft; nothing about last minute deals posted yet today.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:48 AM

Hey, I loved James Neal when he played for Pittsburgh. (The Real Deal!)
Old 08-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Robin Lehner has a good sense of humour.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Robin Lehner has a good sense of humour.
That's terrible! The Isles just get no respect.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:13 PM

Bobby-Lu is getting his # retired! He's the first Panther to have that honor.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Bobby-Lu is getting his # retired! He's the first Panther to have that honor.
Well deserved.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:52 AM

this will be year #1 for me as a DRW season ticket holder. w00t!
Old 08-23-2019, 05:28 PM

King of Annoying Goal Celebrations Evgeny Kuznetsov, who had an ass season last year anyway, tested positive for coke and banned for four years by IIHF. The NHL will doubtfully follow suit.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Look at the Pens in 2016. We absolutely SUCKED at the beginning of the year, people were screaming for heads, "trade Malkin, trade Crosby!" Then management fired our coach, brought in Sullivan, made some trades, some moves, and all of a sudden, we were on fire! Crosby couldn't score fast enough. And the haters were no where to be found. And then we won the Cup!

At the beginning of the beginning of the season, if you had told me we were going to make the play-offs, I'd have looked at you like you had three heads.